ADVERTISEMENT

What Is Hubert Like As a Coach Out of the Spotlight?

What Would Jesus Do?

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2010
Is he the same upbeat, my-players-are-the-greatest guy he sometimes seems in public? Don't get me wrong, I like that he looks for positives and praises his players. Big fan of positive reinforcement and supportive expectations. But he often goes so over the top that I wonder what the "real" Hubert is like in private, and especially in practices and the locker room. Because, come on, not every player is as good as he has made them out to be, and some never will be.

So who knows what Hubert is like off screen, especially when the going gets tough?

Frankly, I'm hoping to learn he's much more serious and professional than my current impression of him from his public appearances. But is that true? Because clearly our players need that.

What I wonder about is film review with no one but coaching staff and players, what do they see? When the question is asked of a individual player, why did you do this that didn't result in a positive out come, what is being said? When Joiner is going off like that what is our PG sharing as to why, when Burns is backing both our big men down for easy finishes what is being said when they watch it on film review? Is anyone making the point that at some point Burns will turn his head and look to go to a scoring move, at that point he can not see a defender dropping down to attack his dribble? So you have Bacot take away the base line and force him to turn in to the paint, when he turn his head toward the basket attack him and rotate to any outlet passers he can still see.

How about game prep, watching film of the other team, do they really understand things like, this guy does not like to go to his left so hedge him left, for example?

Is he the same upbeat, my-players-are-the-greatest guy he sometimes seems in public? Don't get me wrong, I like that he looks for positives and praises his players. Big fan of positive reinforcement and supportive expectations. But he often goes so over the top that I wonder what the "real" Hubert is like in private, and especially in practices and the locker room. Because, come on, not every player is as good as he has made them out to be, and some never will be.

So who knows what Hubert is like off screen, especially when the going gets tough?

Frankly, I'm hoping to learn he's much more serious and professional than my current impression of him from his public appearances. But is that true? Because clearly our players need that.
I think with Hubert what you see is what you get to a FAULT...

Maybe he has hyped them up so much they think they are better than they are!

I think from his days in the NBA and ESPN, HD is well versed in appearing to be unflappable and fully in control with a plan to right the ship. My gut feeling is that he, the staff and the players are currently in a state of a downward spiraling chaos.

I'll just sit in the bleachers and sip on my delicious and always refreshing RIB Kool-Aid.

I think from his days in the NBA and ESPN, HD is well versed in appearing to be unflappable and fully in control with a plan to right the ship. My gut feeling is that he, the staff and the players are currently in a state of a downward spiraling chaos.

I'll just sit in the bleachers and sip on my delicious and always refreshing RIB Kool-Aid.
I noticed this line from your RIB link

"The Tar Heels are among the betting favorites — along with Gonzaga, Houston and Kentucky — to cut down the nets in Houston next April."

Apparently UK just played themselves back into the Big Dance. They have an 18-9 record (vs our 16-11).

Meanwhile Houston (25-2) and Gonzaga (23-5) are holding up.

We used to be able to dismiss Gonzaga's good W-L record because they are in a weak conference. Not all that much difference any more, and they always play a tough preconference schedule.

What's surprising about Gonzaga this season is that they are not (currently) on top of their conference. St. Mary's has that honor.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT