ADVERTISEMENT

What level of confidence do you have that this team with 1 week of practice

WoadBlue

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2008
to smooth out the errors seen against FAMU will defeat App State? With 10 representing the most confidence and 0 the least, I am either a 5 or 6. I think we will see improvement, but App State is much better than FAMU.

We'll be lucky to be in a shoot-out. We're probably going to be one dimensional a little while in which the short passing game works and occasionally we have a boom running play.

OL run blocking isn't getting much push, and pass blocking probably won't hold up for long. These guys will gel, but I'm not sure you can fix the physicality.

Interior DL can get some push, but secondary is going to get chewed up without lots of corrections. Not sure if one week is enough. Coverage was vanilla though...

Last night I did what all learning ultimately requires: I compared a couple of things. In this case, I spent time thinking about Vanderbilt football this year. The Commodores, who last year made UBC seem like ACC champs) went all the way to Hawaii (and that trip requires at least a full day afterwards to get adjusted) and totally shellacked a Group of 5 team that has some history of nice Ws and even rankings.

Meanwhile, UNC had a closer game at Home against a 1AA/FCS team that has never sniffed success in 1AA playoffs.

Our Week 0 game suggests rather strongly that the 2022 UNC team may have made 0 progress from last year's total underachievement.

Were things hidden during the opener? Did we play down so as not to open the eyes of App coaches and player? Perhaps. But after last year, I would think you would want to have the team prove it can consistently and competently run the full offense and defense before we try to trick anybody about anything.

What I find most scary is what Blazers notes above: "but secondary is going to get chewed up without lots of corrections. Not sure if one week is enough."

Bly can recruit but there still is no evidence that he is close to being a sound DB coach at this level. The D secondary is loaded with talent, but it looks like something you'd except from a .500 CUSA team. That's on coaching.

We know what Warren did after just 1 Spring and 1 Fall Camp last time he came to Chapel Hill. The more that players have been badly coached in terms of basics, fundamentals, and the more those players have bad attitudes and think far more highly of what they are than is remotely close to reality, the harder it is to teach them correctly. Is that what Warren is facing?

I will be optimistic and go 6. I can't help but think all the issues with FAMU being so short-handed caused the team to let up a bit but was disappointed in the line play. UNC should have been dominant in those areas, especially with an experienced O line returning. Is it possible Mack shortened the playbook to get Maye comfortable, yes but still though the running game would have been more effective early.

Defense has been iffy the last few seasons and I would not expect a complete 180 overnight but still they did not look good. I was playing golf up in the mountains a few weeks ago and had on a UNC hat. The guy in the clubhouse said they were bringing in as many temp seats as fire marshal would allow. Heels better be focused and ready for a hostile environment. Last week I thought getting a game in would be an advantage, now I'm not so sure. Ordinarily I'd say maybe App will be looking ahead to Texas A&M but they plan to make this weekend their Super Bowl.

Me 2

Between 2 and 3

It's another imbalanced UNC team. The defensive half is the usual suspect. However, it might show up in a game, or part of a game, and then the offense lays an egg. After the FAMU game, it's pretty obvious that the defense is total garbage... again. There's no excuse for that, at this point in MB 2.0.

Appalachian State usually has our number and we're playing in Boone. I expect a loss for sure. I picked it as a loss before the season started when I saw them as the opponent, especially in Boone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT