ADVERTISEMENT

What movies have you seen lately?

heelz2345

Hall of Famer
Mar 4, 2008
I know this pops up periodically, but I couldn't find anything in the past few pages, so I decided to start one. Over the past few weeks I've seen:

Ghostbusters: I know that this one has been divisive, should they have rebooted Ghostbusters, how would the new cast do, etc. but I decided I'd go see it. It's no where near the classic that the original is, but there are some funny parts throughout. Part of my problem with the movie was it treated the franchise as a brand new entity (which is what reboots do), but they kept making reference after reference after reference to the original film. Each cast member from the original, with the exception of Rick Moranis, had a cameo in some form, they reference the theme song, they reference "I ain't fraid of no ghosts," they reference the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man, and on and on and on. I found that to be distracting. It would be like if in James Bond, you saw every actor who has ever played Bond pop up in the movie. It's fine to have a couple of easter eggs or references, but they just did a lot. Overall, it's fine, but because they had to opportunity to be great, you feel a little underwhelmed.

Star Trek: Beyond: I really liked this movie. I have been a fan of this new wave of Star Trek movies, and this one is a lot of fun. This feels a lot like a classic Star Trek adventure where you can just have fun with the characters you've known forever. Also, I liked Idris Elba as the villain, but I kind of wish he wasn't in so much makeup because I think he could have added a little more nuance to the role. I understand if they didn't want to do motion capture and go full cgi, but I think that would have captured his acting ability just a little better. I should add, if you're a fan of early 90's hip-hop, particularly the Beastie Boys, you should enjoy this movie.

Suicide Squad: I know a lot of you are burned out on the comic book movie thing, but I am not, haha. I went in to this movie hopeful that it would be better than Batman v Superman, which I was disappointed in, and I left feeling like it accomplished that. It's not a perfect movie by any means, and it can get lost in the plot at times, which is both somehow over and under complicated depending on the scene, but it was a fun ride. The characters are fun, the acting is solid (Will Smith, Margot Robbie, Jared Leto, and surprisingly, Jai Courtney are standouts), and the action should keep you engaged. It feels like a step in the right direction for DC, because it still has a darker vibe than Marvel, but it has fun as well, which is what comic book movies should be. Sure, the Dark Knight trilogy is dark, but there are one-liners here and there, there are moments of levity, and it's not miserable dark. I'm hoping that this trend continues for DC. Plus, it has a great soundtrack.

As for movies not in theaters:

Goon: If you have Netflix, check this movie out. I watched it for the first time this week, and I thought it was awesome. Basically, Seann William Scott (Stifler from American Pie) plays a guy who becomes a minor-league hockey player after he beats up a player who comes in the stands. His job is to be the resident tough guy on the team and fight whoever is the toughest on the other team. There is a rival legendary goon played by Liev Schreiber, and he is also great. I know some of you may think a hockey movie starring the guy who played Stifler isn't that appealing, but trust me, it's really solid. He is a very different character in this, and I really enjoyed it.

In the Loop: Another Netflix movie, this is from the guy who created Veep. It stars Peter Capaldi, James Gandolfini, and some other familiar faces from Veep and Silicon Valley. It's basically a foul-mouthed look into the US and British Governments having a series of miscommunication on the precipice of a fictional Middle Eastern skirmish. If you watch and like Veep, I think you'll like this, if not, then it's probably not for you. Also, it was predominately made by the British so if you don't particularly enjoy that sense of humor, you also might not like this.

Anyway, that's what I've seen lately, what about you guys?

Last one I saw was Finding Dory. I want to go see Star Track and Suicide Squad, but haven't had the chance yet.

Reactions: heelz2345
Last one I saw was Finding Dory. I want to go see Star Track and Suicide Squad, but haven't had the chance yet.
I was gonna say I saw Finding Dory, but I thought that had gotten covered with the last one of these that got posted, or some other thread along the way.

Aloha-2015-Online.jpg

28% on rotten tomatoes . . it was okay for a time killer.

Dag! I haven't been to the theater since the Star Wars (remake).

My son has been on a mission to watch all the old Arnold movies, so we've been going through those. For sure, most were not masterpieces to start with, but they were entertaining and the cheesy one-liners were usually funny. But let me just say that a lot of these flicks have not aged well - the Terminator series and Predator is still enjoyable, but Running Man and Commando are...
45259967.jpg

Last edited:
The local Carmike is having $5 Tuesdays, so I've been taking advantage of that.
X-Men Apocolypse
Central Intelligence
Ghostbusters
Tarzan
Jason Bourne
Star Trek
Liked most of these, none were great IMO, but good enough.
Did not see Independence Day, nor do I plan to.
Will probably see Suicide Squad this Tuesday.
Looking forward to Jack Reacher 2 and am interested in the remake (again) of the Magnificent Seven.
Can't remember the last stinker I paid to see. See plenty of those on the Sci-Fi Channel, (actually some are so bad, they're good) :):)

The local Carmike is having $5 Tuesdays, so I've been taking advantage of that.
X-Men Apocolypse
Central Intelligence
Ghostbusters
Tarzan
Jason Bourne
Star Trek
Liked most of these, none were great IMO, but good enough.
Did not see Independence Day, nor do I plan to.
Will probably see Suicide Squad this Tuesday.
Looking forward to Jack Reacher 2 and am interested in the remake (again) of the Magnificent Seven.
Can't remember the last stinker I paid to see. See plenty of those on the Sci-Fi Channel, (actually some are so bad, they're good) :):)
I saw X-Men, enjoyed that as well. You are not missing anything with Independence Day. I saw it with really low expectations, and it failed to meet those. Laughably bad.

Re-watched a couple of old favorites recently.
Hard Times w/Charles Bronson and James Coburn, set in 1930s NOLA. a guy movie!

Broken Arrow, w/James Stewart and Jeff Chandler. Not sure how historically accurate
it is, but it was a landmark film in that in portrayed the native americans as people of honor who were being wronged by the invading white people, one of the first to do so.

I watched 'Straight Outta Compton' and 'The Martian' recently and like them both. I absolutely love this new show 'Preacher' and also want to see the 'Stranger Things' NF show.

Heelz, since you are a movie guy, do you know anything about the Dark Tower stuff with Elba? Lots of book people are pretty ticked and I understand why but he is supposedly an excellent actor so I'm going into it with an open mind even though it will be somewhat difficult to separate the clear differences between what has been created in our minds by King with what will be on the screen.

Dag! I haven't been to the theater since the Star Wars (remake).

My son has been on a mission to watch all the old Arnold movies, so we've been going through those. For sure, most were not masterpieces to start with, but they were entertaining and the cheesy one-liners were usually funny. But let me just say that a lot of these flicks have not aged well - the Terminator series and Predator is still enjoyable, but Running Man and Commando are...
45259967.jpg

The Running Man book was nothing like the movie, which I agree has not aged well. It is basically a better version of The Hunger Games, which is a clear ripoff of the short story. I love the Predator movies though.

share.jpg

Much better than the Bourne Legacy. I feel like the titular character not appearing in that one made it less relevant and more of a spin-off. Alicia Vikander's character is a different kind of attractive. She does a fantastic job. Adding Tommy Lee Jones to the series (as a senior bureaucrat, who would've guessed?) sets it back a notch, for me at least.

If I had to rank them:

1. Bourne Identity
2. Bourne Supremacy
3. Jason Bourne
4. Bourne Ultimatum
5. Bourne Legacy

ETA: I thought I'd read all of the novels, but apparently there are twelve. Robert Ludlum wrote only the three originals.

Last edited:
Reactions: BillyL
I watched 'Straight Outta Compton' and 'The Martian' recently and like them both. I absolutely love this new show 'Preacher' and also want to see the 'Stranger Things' NF show.

Heelz, since you are a movie guy, do you know anything about the Dark Tower stuff with Elba? Lots of book people are pretty ticked and I understand why but he is supposedly an excellent actor so I'm going into it with an open mind even though it will be somewhat difficult to separate the clear differences between what has been created in our minds by King with what will be on the screen.
I will second Martian & Straight Outta Compton, recommend the book for The Martian as well. Haven't gotten to Preacher or Stranger Things yet, but have heard very good things about both, planning to watch them soon.

As for Dark Tower, I haven't read the books yet, but am planning to as soon as I get the chance, so I can't say how accurate the casting is for Idris Elba (or Matthew McConaughey, who is in it as well). With that said, everything I've seen Elba in leads me to think he can pull it off. I think he's a really good actor who has a ton of range. So I'm hopeful he will be a good fit, but I need to read the books as well to confirm that. Of course, I think many people would say that The Shining is their favorite King adaptation, but King felt it deviated significantly from the book, so sometimes that works.

I will second Martian & Straight Outta Compton, recommend the book for The Martian as well. Haven't gotten to Preacher or Stranger Things yet, but have heard very good things about both, planning to watch them soon.

As for Dark Tower, I haven't read the books yet, but am planning to as soon as I get the chance, so I can't say how accurate the casting is for Idris Elba (or Matthew McConaughey, who is in it as well). With that said, everything I've seen Elba in leads me to think he can pull it off. I think he's a really good actor who has a ton of range. So I'm hopeful he will be a good fit, but I need to read the books as well to confirm that. Of course, I think many people would say that The Shining is their favorite King adaptation, but King felt it deviated significantly from the book, so sometimes that works.

I was one of those King fans drooling in anticipation for each book in the series to come out, so seeing it on the big screen is something I'm eagerly anticipating. I thought Elba was the best thing about "The Wire" and have been a fan ever since. I actually think he would be a great James Bond, but I'm not expecting that to happen. He can definitely pull off the part of Roland. I can see that quite easily, in fact. I can also see MM as the Man in Black. Nice casting IMO, though I am sure some die-hard fans may disagree.

I was one of those King fans drooling in anticipation for each book in the series to come out, so seeing it on the big screen is something I'm eagerly anticipating. I thought Elba was the best thing about "The Wire" and have been a fan ever since. I actually think he would be a great James Bond, but I'm not expecting that to happen. He can definitely pull off the part of Roland. I can see that quite easily, in fact. I can also see MM as the Man in Black. Nice casting IMO, though I am sure some die-hard fans may disagree.
I personally thought Omar was the best thing about the Wire but Stringer was right there haha. I was gonna mention I think he'd be a great Bond as well whenever Craig decides to hang it up, but I wasn't sure how many shared that opinion on here. I need to read the books though because I think it would be right up my alley

I agree with that about The Shining. King's adaptations are usually good if he has nothing to do with them, as was the case with Kubrick. When he later tried to do another version it was terrible. I think he is heavily involved here, which leads me to believe it may suck as well. Hope not though.

Yeah, I'm a huge King fan. I used to be a collector of his first editions (had all but two of them) but now just read his stuff. I love the DT and think just for acting Elba will be great. I just have to get my picture of him out of my head, haha. The movie is obviously not strictly following the books anyway as this one is going to be a separate trip for him. Should be fun.

Since this thread resurfaced, I'd say that I saw Rogue One this past weekend, thought it was great. It captures a lot of the familiar Star Wars feel while also taking it to a much darker place than you will normally see in the Star Wars franchise. People have claimed that some of the characters are a little underdeveloped, but I personally thought the cast worked well together, and my favorite characters were the droid K-2SO and Chirrut Imwe (blind badass played by Donnie Yen). I am planning to see it again soon.

Good call on Star Trek Beyond and Hell or High Water. Saw them the last couple of nights and I thought they were very good. Also good call on Alicia Vikander. She was smokin hot in The Man from UNCLE and yes she is absolutely, positively a would.
060116-alicia-vikander-lead.jpg

Alicia Vikander was awesome in Ex Machina. Check that movie out, it's great, has outstanding performances, a story that keeps you on the edge of your seat. Plus, if you're a fan of Ms Vikander's look, you won't be disappointed.

Since this thread resurfaced, I'd say that I saw Rogue One this past weekend, thought it was great. It captures a lot of the familiar Star Wars feel while also taking it to a much darker place than you will normally see in the Star Wars franchise. People have claimed that some of the characters are a little underdeveloped, but I personally thought the cast worked well together, and my favorite characters were the droid K-2SO and Chirrut Imwe (blind badass played by Donnie Yen). I am planning to see it again soon.
I enjoyed it for the same reasons. Wasn't really bothered about the characters. The ending was a bit shocking despite it being the only obvious outcome. The only thing that freaked me out was how they used CGI for Grand Moff Tarkin and Princess Leia. Creepy but effective.

I enjoyed it for the same reasons. Wasn't really bothered about the characters. The ending was a bit shocking despite it being the only obvious outcome. The only thing that freaked me out was how they used CGI for Grand Moff Tarkin and Princess Leia. Creepy but effective.
Yeah Tarkin took me out just a tad, I had heard about that before I saw it, but still was a little jarring. On the flip side, my younger sister (who is nowhere near as much a Star Wars fan as me) couldn't tell he was CGI and when I pulled up his picture from a New Hope she lost her mind that it was the same guy. Leia didn't really bother me since she wasn't in it as much.

Captain America Civil War had a good example of similar CGI where we see a 20 year old Robert Downey Jr. and that was one of the most realistic CGI human depictions I've ever seen.

Can I also say: HOW BADASS WAS VADER??? That one scene, I had chills.

Reactions: TarHeelMark
Alicia Vikander was awesome in Ex Machina. Check that movie out, it's great, has outstanding performances, a story that keeps you on the edge of your seat. Plus, if you're a fan of Ms Vikander's look, you won't be disappointed.
heelz2345, thanks for the update. I have not heard of this movie, is it something you can find at a redbox?

heelz2345, thanks for the update. I have not heard of this movie, is it something you can find at a redbox?
I just checked the redbox website, it says you can reserve it, so I don't know if it's one that is just like in every box or anything. But I think you can check it out that way.

It did kind of fly under the radar, but it was really good.

I just checked the redbox website, it says you can reserve it, so I don't know if it's one that is just like in every box or anything. But I think you can check it out that way.

It did kind of fly under the radar, but it was really good.
Good deal. There are a couple of redbox's on the way home. This gives me project for tonight.

Reactions: Raising Heel
Saw suicide squad. Leto should be stoned in public for what was done to joker Totally Butchered it

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT