ADVERTISEMENT

Why do terrorists become terrorists?

Raising Heel

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2008
A van down by the river
Thought this was interesting in light of the discussion going on in the other thread. The "map" link is pretty fascinating. Might spend some more time looking at it later when I have time. A few excerpts:

The [Global Terrorism Database], housed at the university's National Consortium for the Study of Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism, includes information on 58,000 bombings, 15,000 assassinations and 6,000 kidnappings going back to 1970 - anything that falls under the database's definition of terrorism....

The preliminary findings of the [causation] study already have yielded some basic demographic patterns about which extremists in the U.S. are most likely to resort to violence. Compared to violent domestic terrorists on the Far Left and Far Right, Islamists stand out. They're more likely to be young (between 18 and 28 years old), unmarried and unassimilated into American society. They are also more likely to be actively recruited to an extremist group.
But in other important ways, Islamist extremists in the U.S. as a whole - violent and[/I] nonviolent - are not so different from other extremists. People in the three groups were equally likely to have become radicalized while serving time in prison - complicating the narrative that Muslim prisoners are unusually likely to commit to extremism from behind bars - and to be composed of individuals who have psychological issues, are loners, or have recently experienced "a loss of social standing."

Tracking 125,000 Incidents Of Global Terrorism

So true. All of the radical violent gangs operating in the us were birthed in the prison system. Even more frustrating is that they manipulate the system to allow them to operate their gangs on the outside even while in prison.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Supposedly because their moms didn't love them enough or because the shitty environment or something like that.

Originally posted by gunslingerdick:
Supposedly because their moms didn't love them enough or because the shitty environment or something like that.
I know how much you love to rib strum, but you should probably read the last sentence of the excerpts posted above. It suggests that notion may not be so far-fetched.

Why do Duke fans become Duke fans?

Shouldn't they be Rutgers fans.....? Being from New Jersey and all
scared0016.r191677.gif

I think they need to try harder. The vast majority of terrorist attacks have occurred in the last 35 years. I guess their personal lives have only gone to crap in the last 35 years? Everything before that was just peachy I suppose?

The left says Gitmo. I say mainly economics and no prospects of things "getting better"!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT