ADVERTISEMENT

“Out of touch” Roy

Ozheelfan

Hall of Famer
Dec 7, 2004
Yeah, he lost some recruiting battles a few years ago and some posters said he was out of touch with the modern young players.

He won a natty, took the team to the FF and the criticism quietened (but didn’t stop)...

So today Roy lands a monster and is still in the hunt for more.... all on the eve of Nas’ and Coby’s first game as Heels.

Maybe he was never out of touch... maybe there was more to the recruiting slump than what we all saw, maybe Roy just needed the right kids to hear what he had to say, without so much ‘noise’ drowning out his voice.

Maybe we should all hope he’ll keep doing what he does, his way for a lot longer

Been saying it for a couple weeks now, but I'll say it again:

It's been Night and Day since the scandal ended. I expected at the very least one or two classes before we got back to recruiting elite guys again. It didn't even take a month. We got Nassir as soon as it ended and have pretty much been rolling ever since. And although Roy will continue to be the hardest working man on the recruiting trail, It's finally about to pay off. I don't think we will need to feel an urgency to offer every guy who shows us interest.

I was one of those who thought it was more than just the scandal. Boy was I wrong, and happy to be so. I think Roy's is gonna have a very good time on the recruiting trail these next couple of years.

Still going with the prediction that he gets at least one more title before it's all said and done.

Been saying it for a couple weeks now, but I'll say it again:

It's been Night and Day since the scandal ended. I expected at the very least one or two classes before we got back to recruiting elite guys again. It didn't even take a month. We got Nassir as soon as it ended and have pretty much been rolling ever since. And although Roy will continue to be the hardest working man on the recruiting trail, It's finally about to pay off. I don't think we will need to feel an urgency to offer every guy who shows us interest.

I was one of those who thought it was more than just the scandal. Boy was I wrong, and happy to be so. I think Roy's is gonna have a very good time on the recruiting trail these next couple of years.

Still going with the prediction that he gets at least one more title before it's all said and done.
I say at least 2 more. I know these things are super hard to come by but Nobody deserves it more, IMHO.

Go Roy.. show em all!

Go Tar Heels

Reactions: RoseHeel
The impact of the FBI cannot be overstated. It felt like we lost recruit after recruit to Arizona.

Because of the FBI, we got Nassir, and have a good shot at Green. It might help us out with JRE too.

Between the FBI and the NCAA ruling, there has been a real confluence of events helping UNC basketball recruiting.

Roy is Roy. I think the NCAA issues over the last few years impacted recruiting obviously. But Roy persevered and won another title, and could have easily gone back to back. Now is Roy the hip, cool, kind of coach that impacts recruits in that manner? No. He is just Roy. Pretty genuine guy that loves what he does, and UNC. I also think kids pick up on that. Not going to get them all, but recruits know Roy can be trusted. And folks, enjoy him while he is here for the next few years. Twenty years from now folks will look back on this era the same way folks look back on Dean's era. Those two are what UNC basketball is all about.

Yeah, he lost some recruiting battles a few years ago and some posters said he was out of touch with the modern young players.

Maybe we should all hope he’ll keep doing what he does, his way for a lot longer
So true Oz , and those same hypocrites are now praising him.
:rolleyes:

It really can’t be said enough about how great of job Roy did in getting us through those tough times and being able to reach the successes that we did. He truly showed how great of a leader he was as he stayed true to his beliefs, worked harder than any coach and never swayed from doing what was best for the program. And nothing makes me happier than to see this all behind us and for him to be able get a big time player like Armando that he wanted so badly while also being in a good position with other top notch recruits too.

As seen we saw in Bacot's recruitment, Roy also deserves a ton of credit and respect for the way that he builds relationships and is able to connect with players and their families on a personal level as the Bacot family was able to get to know him for the person he is, appreciated his honesty and saw how much he truly cared about their son due to all the time and effort he put in.

We really are lucky for the way he goes about his business and how he has continued to bring in such great kids to the program that believe in him, are dedicated to each other and really care about Carolina as a whole. I really am super excited for what is in store for our Heels and am most definitely am enjoying the buzz that we are receiving around this 2019 class, there's no stopping Ol' Roy, he's locked in!

All I can say is that I’m going to enjoy Coach Williams for as long as he wants to stay-what a pillar to be able to keep this program at the top during all that NCAA BS. It’s an amazing accomplishment when you consider what he’s done ! Thanks Coach !
i agree completely, but it's not going to stop me when i think he screws up.
go heels!

It really can’t be said enough about how great of job Roy did in getting us through those tough times and being able to reach the successes that we did. He truly showed how great of a leader he was as he stayed true to his beliefs, worked harder than any coach and never swayed from doing what was best for the program. And nothing makes me happier than to see this all behind us and for him to be able get a big time player like Armando that he wanted so badly while also being in a good position with other top notch recruits too.

As seen we saw in Bacot's recruitment, Roy also deserves a ton of credit and respect for the way that he builds relationships and is able to connect with players and their families on a personal level as the Bacot family was able to get to know him for the person he is, appreciated his honesty and saw how much he truly cared about their son due to all the time and effort he put in.

We really are lucky for the way he goes about his business and how he has continued to bring in such great kids to the program that believe in him, are dedicated to each other and really care about Carolina as a whole. I really am super excited for what is in store for our Heels and am most definitely am enjoying the buzz that we are receiving around this 2019 class, there's no stopping Ol' Roy, he's locked in!
Very well stated, couldn’t agree more. We’re so fortunate to have had two of the best coaches to ever coach college ball. Most schools are lucky if they have one. Dean is up in Heaven smiling right now at how well his protege, the Grey Fox as I affectionately call him, is doing.

Last edited:
Reactions: FranktheHeel

OK, just my opinion but I believe the last few years, beginning with that team in ED Davis's soph season, Roy has had road block after road block thrown in front of him. That particular team set brand new injury records for a NCAA team, guys were going down like flies and even when they were healthy the team chemistry was not good. The negative recruiting ramped up against him and then the NCAA investigation came in and gave a degree of at least perceived credence to the negative recruiting nonsense, especially from a guy like Capel in Durham.

That is especially important for a coach that IMO was able to out talent most opponents while at kansas, he was one of the 3 or 4 best recruiters in the country. But all those road blocks took that edge away from him and I believe it made him a better over all coach, a better developer of the talent he did get. He may today6 be the best over all coach in the college game thou he still is not able to pick and chose the guys he wants to bring in, it has eased up a LOT and seems to be the trend, recruits are now looking at UNC differently that they were when the NCAA was living on campus.

The impact of the FBI cannot be overstated. It felt like we lost recruit after recruit to Arizona.

Because of the FBI, we got Nassir, and have a good shot at Green. It might help us out with JRE too.

Between the FBI and the NCAA ruling, there has been a real confluence of events helping UNC basketball recruiting.
It will have nothing to do with Green, but yes, the FBI thing shone some much-needed light on some sh**.

It will have nothing to do with Green, but yes, the FBI thing shone some much-needed light on some sh**.

That's just not true. Many people feel Green would be an AZ commit already if the FBI cloud wasn't over them. Ya know, kinda like what we dealt with for years.

Dude, literally everyone thought we were getting Bacot.
Oh GMAB dude, that was right when much of this board was freaking out over dook jumping back in. I said I wasn't buying it and someone asked my take and you took an unsolicited shot at me, and I posted reasons why folks shouldn't worry over the dookie push and you put that down as well. And for the reoord, my biggest reason for confidence was what I was told about the staff's own level of confidence even after the dookie bluster started, as I posted shorlty thereafter.

Now you're at it again. SMDH. This pettiness nonsense is getting old. Seriously, what is your problem?

Oh GMAB dude, that was right when much of this board was freaking out over dook jumping back in. I said I wasn't buying it and someone asked my take and you took an unsolicited shot at me, and I posted reasons why folks shouldn't worry over the dookie push and you put that down as well. And for the reoord, my biggest reason for confidence was what I was told about the staff's own level of confidence even after the dookie bluster started, as I posted shorlty thereafter.

Now you're at it again. SMDH. This pettiness nonsense is getting old. Seriously, what is your problem?

Chill. You said Green is definitely ours, I disagreed. Really not something you need to get this upset about.

Chill. You said Green is definitely ours, I disagreed. Really not something you need to get this upset about.
Not what it was about. You took an uninvited shot at me because someone asked my opinion on Bacot, and that was before I posted the Green thing. Why? I mean, is that like a yankee thing or something? C'mon man.

And BTW, I happen to agree with you on JRE... but then, I'm "Not Clint" so what do I know?...:rolleyes::p:cool:

Not what it was about. You took an uninvited shot at me because someone asked my opinion on Bacot, and that was before I posted the Green thing. Why? I mean, is that like a yankee thing or something? C'mon man.

And BTW, I happen to agree with you on JRE... but then, I'm "Not Clint" so what do I know?...:rolleyes::p:cool:
You both bring great value to the board let's just squash this pettiness

He's going to be in the ear of Green and JRE literally everyday at IMG.

I think it's very likely we get 1 of them and an outside chance we get both.
I think we will land Green. Not so sure about JRE.

Francis, Mann, Green, Bacot I think is a very good class and one I see us with as of now.

Hopefully, it gets better than that.

Reactions: Archer2

297.png

Roy never left. He kept chugging along and winning at the highest level in spite of the deck being stacked against him. He will have my eternal respect for that. I don't know of another coach in the country that could have done what he's done at UNC since he returned.

im-not-lion-navo4g.jpg

Roy never left. He kept chugging along and winning at the highest level in spite of the deck being stacked against him. He will have my eternal respect for that. I don't know of another coach in the country that could have done what he's done at UNC since he returned.

im-not-lion-navo4g.jpg
You're right Arch.... I like the fact there are people saying "Roy is back" Back from where? repeat final fours including a natty?

That's the point of my OP... I don't think he every was anywhere else, nor out of touch... all he was doing is the job he does.... albeit finding new ways to achieve with the crap being thrown around.

Reactions: Archer2
Ah, another useless waste of space by an utterly useless poster. Just do everyone a favor and go away once and for all. At least then you'll be able to say you actually did one thing of value. SFB.

Gary, you know a lot about the game and you provide valuable discussions to the board, but even Donald Trump would be jealous of the defensive rants you go on everytime someone disagrees with you. It’s a message board, it’s not real life stop taking it so personal

Gary, you know a lot about the game and you provide valuable discussions to the board, but even Donald Trump would be jealous of the defensive rants you go on everytime someone disagrees with you. It’s a message board, it’s not real life stop taking it so personal
It wasn't about disageement, it was about someone who took a shot at me, and it's absolutely none of your business. You just stuck your nose in to stir things up. We're having good discussions here. If you want to join in these discussions, then fine. If not, your trolling is not welcome.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT