ADVERTISEMENT

#2 UNC at #1 Notre Dame

UNC71-00

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Feb 25, 2003
In lacrosse tomorrow. 4pm on ESPNU. Winner is undefeated regular season ACC champ and a 1 seed playing Duke in the ACC tourney next weekend. Loser is the 2 seed and plays Syracuse. Carolina has already beaten a #1 ranked team (Denver) and a #2 ranked team (Syracuse) this year, but both were in Chapel Hill.

From the attached link:

TAR HEELS HOPING TO CONTINUE WINNING WAYS: [/B] North Carolina enters the Notre Dame game with a 12-1 record. That's the best Tar Heel record through 13 games since the 1993 when the Tar Heels were also 12-1. That UNC team was 14-1 before losing to Syracuse 13-12 in the NCAA championship game. Carolina has started the ACC season with a 3-0 mark. The last time the Tar Heels won their opening three game of the conference season was 1992 and the last time it stood 4-0 in the ACC was 1982.

Go Heels Preview

Rich,

Thanks for the heads-up on these LAX games . .

You're a good guy in my book, no matter what GSD says about you . .

Definitely will tune in or DVR it. Started watching Lacrosse a couple of years ago at my daughters school and was hooked immediately. Thanks for this info.

For those who don't know - Last week, senior Joey Sankey became our all time leader in points. In lacrosse, 'points' is the combination of goals scored and assists.

Originally posted by WoadBlue:
For those who don't know - Last week, senior Joey Sankey became our all time leader in points. In lacrosse, 'points' is the combination of goals scored and assists.
And his counterpart on attack, senior Jimmy Bitter, has a chance to be all time leader in goals scored.

Its a really fun team to watch playing a really fun game to watch. Hopefully some of the basketball onlies can give it shot.

Originally posted by JuleZ '02 HEEL:
They only play 4 games in conference? Guess you really don't want to drop one!
Posted from Rivals Mobile
I know- it amazes me that BC, Pitt and Wake don't have teams.

Originally posted by UNC71-00:
Originally posted by JuleZ '02 HEEL:
They only play 4 games in conference? Guess you really don't want to drop one!
Posted from Rivals Mobile
I know- it amazes me that BC, Pitt and Wake don't have teams.
Title IX meant that every college in the country cancelled men's sports to start women's teams. A large number of sdchools driopped men's lacrosse in the '80s and early 90s. MooU did, for example.

So ACC lacrose got down to its 4 Powers: UMD, UVA, Dook, and UNC. Adding ND and Cuse got us to 6, the minimum to get an auto bid to the playoffs. The the Twerps left.

Lacrosee is not a major HS sport in western PA. Wake lacks the money sponsor men's lacrosse and another chick sport absolutely nobody cares about.

BC is a different matter. BC is a rich atghletics department from donations. And HS lacrosse is huge from New England down to DC, where BC recruits the vast majority of its students.

I have no idea if BC plans to ad lacrosse eventually. I think it should, but that would mean adding a new chick sport.

There has been internet talk that Tom Jurish wants Louisville to move from non-schoalrship club lacrosse to the ACC. That would be a huge leap, but Marquette has done it and it now competive in like year 3 on the Big East.

Originally posted by UNC71-00:
Originally posted by WoadBlue:
And his counterpart on attack, senior Jimmy Bitter, has a chance to be all time leader in goals scored.

Its a really fun team to watch playing a really fun game to watch. Hopefully some of the basketball onlies can give it shot.
When UNC played Denver earlier this year, my wife at point after Bitter scored said, "Hasn't he been at UNC like 7 years?"

I explained to he that she was remembering his brother Billy Bitter, who also was a UNC lacrosse All-American.

I really hope this Bitter brother gets a National title.

Crappy Big Ten lacrosse is going over on ESPNU, so the game will start on ESPN Watch

Jimmy Biter ties it at 2

Bitter now tied with Marcus Holman for 2nd on all time UNC goals list

Midfielder Peyton Klawinski gives UNC the lead 3-2

The ND scores immediately to tie it at 3

Doyle scores again - 5-3 Irish

This is the first time anybody has been down by 2 goals today

Sankey to Klawinski- 6-5 Tar Heels back on top

Then ND gets the face off and scores almost immeditately

6-6

Klawinski with the Hat Trick - 7-6 Heels

Midfileder Pntrollo is out today with injury, ansd Klawinski is getting most of the minutes, He is a Soph with a huge future

And as I type the above, ND agians scores quickly to tie it at 7

We had a flurry of shots in the final minute, incuding Sankey drilling the pipe. On the last shot, the ND goalie made a great stop.

Halftime - 7 up

Hat Trick for Wynne in under a minute

10-8 Irish

Then Bitter scores quickly

10-9 Irish

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT