ADVERTISEMENT

2016 Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame Nominees... FINALLY, some decent choices!

How many get inducted? It's a crime that Deep Purple and Yes are not already in. Also pulling for the Smiths to get in, even though they won't.

I thought the Cars were pretty cool, especially their first 2 albums. And Chicago had some huge hits - liked them mostly when Terry Kath was still with them.

I thought the Cars were pretty cool, especially their first 2 albums. And Chicago had some huge hits - liked them mostly when Terry Kath was still with them.
Same here. That stuff the Cars did like "You Might Think" and "Drive" - Heartbeat City- is lame. But, that early stuff was way cool- from the first two albums- The Cars and Candy-O. I even had the Shake It Up 45 and picture sleeve! Elliott Easton is a very lyrical guitar player.

To me, most of the bands like Yes, Deep Purple, Cheap Trick, Steve Miller, should all have been in years ago!

Los Lobos just covered La Bamba. I don't get it.

For the life of me I can't understand why Steppenwolf has never been elected. Not sure if they've even been nominated

But I do have to agree that the list of nominees this year is definitely an upgrade.

Seems to me all the bands you deem unworthy are simply bands whose music you personally don't care for.
Pretty much. That's probably how most people are voting every year.

I didn't mean to "deem them unworthy." All of them are worthy. The whole purpose of parceling them out like this is to sell the induction ceremony every year.

I would say N.W.A. is worthy. Before you dive in with the "It's the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame," it's more of a popular music hall of fame (see members ABBA, Jackson 5, Randy Newman, Donna Summer, Madonna, etc.), and since rap groups Public Enemy, Run-D.M.C., and Beastie Boys are in there already, N.W.A. should be as well. Both N.W.A. studio albums went platinum, and four of the members (Ice Cube, Dr. Dre, Eazy-E and MC Ren) had solo platinum albums. They had a lot of influence on music over the past 20 years (Snoop Dogg, Eminem, Tupac, 50 Cent, Kendrick Lamar, etc.) and pop culture (the N.W.A. movie is currently the 13th highest grossing movie of the year). I feel like they deserve to be in there, but as I'm sure that's not going to be the most popular opinion on this board, I'm also ready for you guys to disagree. Regardless of your opinion on the music, N.W.A. has the success and influence to merit inclusion.

Reactions: Raising Heel
Their career has spanned four decades and included multiple Grammys. Seems to me all the bands you deem unworthy are simply bands whose music you personally don't care for. That doesn't mean they're unworthy.

Rock n Roll means Rock n Roll,if they're gonna allow hip hop,rap etc,then they need to change the name.to POP Hall of Fame period.

Reactions: uncboy10
Rock n Roll means Rock n Roll,if they're gonna allow hip hop,rap etc,then they need to change the name.to POP Hall of Fame period.
From the outset though, they've included people who most wouldn't consider "Rock n Roll." The first two classes inducted into the hall included James Brown, Ray Charles, Sam Cooke, Fats Domino, Aretha Franklin, Marvin Gaye, B.B. King, Smokey Robinson, Muddy Waters, and Jackie Wilson. They included "Rock n Roll" types like Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, and Buddy Holly in those first two classes as well, but my point is despite the name "Rock n Roll Hall of Fame," they have always had a diverse range of musical acts in there. Country music is represented in the hall, as is jazz, reggae, soul, R&B, pop, folk, disco, and rap. Should they change the name? Maybe. It's certainly a catchy name as is, but it's never been 100% accurate. I'm fine with it being a HOF that recognizes people who made important contributions to music in the 20th century and beyond, which is, as I see it, the way it's always been.

Last edited:
Reactions: Baby Debo
They do have Blues Hall of Fame, and a Bluegrass Hall of Fame, and a Country Music Hall of Fame. I think the RNR HOF tries to maintain the idea that Rock n Roll was a melting pot of all of them, which it absolutely was. I'm not sure that the people who invented/pioneered/performed Hip Hop or Rap ever intended to be considered a Rock n Roll act at all. In some cases, especially at the time of their popularity, they wanted to be considered as NOT being Rock n Roll. If you went into a record store, they'd be in a different section. I wonder if these artists ever feel a bit insulted, or at least question their choice as a nominee by the RNR HOF. Just like I don't think Bill Monroe was ever concerned about being in the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame. They waited until he died to induct him anyway!

The RNR HOF has made a concerted effort to pull in all kinds of acts. I think it's done more to sell their product and appear to be more politically correct.

You could go a step further and just have a MUSIC Hall of Fame. Maybe that's what the RNR HOF is aiming for. I think the MTV generation and it's popularity is also part of the consideration. If you had a video on MTV, then you're in the running for RNR HOF.

Pop does cover all types of music ,I'll stand by RnR as what it was named for.It's an insult to Chuck Berry,Elvis,Jerry Lee and Buddy Holly.Blues and Country artists I have no problem with,it's what RnR originated from.

Pop does cover all types of music ,I'll stand by RnR as what it was named for.It's an insult to Chuck Berry,Elvis,Jerry Lee and Buddy Holly.Blues and Country artists I have no problem with,it's what RnR originated from.
My thing is, since the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has included more genres than just rock and roll from day 1, it seems silly to me to say "well, we shouldn't include these people" now. They have a separate category for people who predate Rock and Roll to recognize the influence of Hank Williams, Les Paul, Louis Armstrong, Nat King Cole, etc., so that's not the same as the normal inductees, which include a variety of genres, and have for the entire existence of the HoF. Just look at the list of people in the HoF, and you will see at least one instance in basically every induction class that isn't truly Rock and Roll. Does this mean they aren't good, successful, influential musical acts? Not necessarily, and as far as I can tell, that's what they look at when it comes to deciding who makes it in. Since it's not up to me, I don't let it bother me that musical acts I may not personally care about are in there, but I can't argue with the success of acts in there, and that's all that should matter.

I agree. I don't think you can splinter off into 15 different HOF's to cover all genres, so I don't have a huge problem with R&B, or rap artists getting into the RnR HOF.

Now I'm not a fan of Janet Jackson type pop-schlop dance music and personally don't think she's done enough to warrant induction. Her brother... Sure but not her.

I agree. I don't think you can splinter off into 15 different HOF's to cover all genres, so I don't have a huge problem with R&B, or rap artists getting into the RnR HOF.

Now I'm not a fan of Janet Jackson type pop-schlop dance music and personally don't think she's done enough to warrant induction. Her brother... Sure but not her.
When you look at the inductees, the diversity is clear. And, that's cool, really.

My only real issue with inductions is when they wind up inducting one person 2 or 3 different times while other artists- who were unlucky to just be in one band- go on being left out. The Beatles, Clapton, Crosby, Stills Nash, Young... and Lou Reed??? Lou Reed was lucky to get in with the Velvet Underground! I love all those guys, but let others in before you get your solo recognition, too. Steve Miller should have been in a LONG time ago!

If the current top 5 wind-up being the 5 who get inducted, it will be a true ROCK AND ROLL induction ceremony!

Reactions: heelz2345
The Top 5 are now:
  • Chicago-2016-Rock-Hall-Nominees-Vote.jpg.24x16_q95_crop.jpg
    Chicago 18.63% (17890973 votes)

• Rock_Hall_2016_Nominee_The_Cars_VOTE.jpg.24x16_q95_crop.jpg
    The Cars 17.32% (16637555 votes)

• YES-2016-Rock-Hall-Nominees-VOTE.jpg.24x16_q95_crop.jpg
    Yes 16.98% (16312397 votes)

• Deep-Purple-2016-Rock-Hall-Nominees-VOTE.jpg.24x16_q95_crop.jpg
    Deep Purple 16.83% (16164825 votes)

• Steve-Miller-Band-2016-Rock-Hall-Nominees-VOTE.jpg.24x16_q95_crop.jpg
    Steve Miller 16.81% (16143330 votes)

Janet Jackson is in 6th with 8% and half of the totals as the above. If this trend stays, we will finally get a real ROCK AND ROLL induction ceremony! I just wish Cheap Trick could get in as well. They are true Rock n Roll!

Tom Petersson on that 8-string Hamer Bass is just bad-ass!

Reactions: uncboy10
Has anyone been to the RnR HOF? I'd like to go, just wondering if it's worth the time.
I went to the Hall Museum back in 1998. It was cool. What I recall most was they had a huge room with about 4 different live stage sets in each corner. One was The Allman Brothers Band. THAT was cool. They had Duane's Sunburst Les Paul and Dickie's red SG, and Gregg's B-3... it was just like the stage would have been at the Fillmore. Grand Funk Railroad was one of the others. I forget the other 2 sets.

I remember it was just after Carl Wilson had died and they were doing some kind of Beach Boys exhibit. There was a lot of kinda mundane things, too. Like, they had Jim Morrison's Cub Scout uniform? But, they also had some old poetry of his from high school. It was worth it to me, but I was already in the Canton, OH area visiting my then-girlfriend's family. I went to the NFL HOF, too.

Then what the hell has Rap done to even be included in the same breath as rock and blue legends that made their marks to infuence future stars? You had a good argument up until that point.If it's gonna be all kinds of music then POP HOF and I'll just leave at that.Nobody on this page is gonna agree to the others opinion.

One of the categories that nominees are graded on is influence of other artist. Some of you drool over Beyonce, but before her was Janet. Smdh, obviously you never really follow music.

Rap has more influence over many mainstream media and music than you give it credit for. Those rappers you despise now own major record labels, movie production companies and other media industries. I'm sure if you have kids that are teens or 20 something's, you know it already.

Rap has more influence over many mainstream media and music than you give it credit for. Those rappers you despise now own major record labels, movie production companies and other media industries. I'm sure if you have kids that are teens or 20 something's, you know it already.
Despise?

Then what the hell has Rap done to even be included in the same breath as rock and blue legends that made their marks to infuence future stars?
Rap has, and continues to, influence stars and future stars just like many genres influenced it. Whether or not you personally like the music, that doesn't mean that there aren't successful, influential rappers out there. Dr. Dre, a member of nominee N.W.A. sold his headphone company to Apple for $3 Billion. He, along with Jay-Z and Puff Daddy, are each worth over $500 million. Aerosmith (Rock and Roll HOF inductee) collaborated with Run-D.M.C. (another Rock and Roll HOF inductee) for a remix of "Walk This Way" and that version charted higher on Billboard's top 100 than the original. Paul McCartney (double HOF inductee) collaborated with Kanye West and Rihanna on "FourFiveSeconds" this year, and that was Paul's first top 5 hit since 1983. Like it or not, rap is a major influence on the musical world, and that includes across multiple genres.

I know there will not be an agreement on this issue, but it has always been a "popular music" hall of fame despite what the name of it suggests. To draw the line at rap music, when there is disco, reggae, country, soul, R&B, jazz, folk and pop in addition to rock and roll seems arbitrary. It's also silly for us to argue this point since we have zero power over who makes it in the hall of fame, so I'll just leave it there.

Reactions: strummingram
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT