ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Atlanta Braves thread

The Cubs and Red Sox also hurt his argument. Yes they both have recent WS titles, but overall, they should have / should be winning a lot more. The Angels also hurt the argument as well. Lots of money, no results. Mets too.

Especially the Angels. Only slightly better than average team with a decent payroll. Red Sox have also underachieved.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
Maybe if MLB had a salary cap then smaller market teams like Kansas City, Milwaukee, Pittsburgh & Tampa Bay could compete year in & year out. It’s the big market teams like the Yankees, Red Sox & Dodgers that ruin the game.
You can talk about the NBA all you want, if they don’t figure out a way to stop players from forming “super teams” fans will get tired of that crap eventually.

Royals went to the world series two straight years and won it the second time. I think a college basketball team did the same thing recently in the tournament. I can't think of the team though. I'm sure it will come to me eventually.

Especially the Angels. Only slightly better than average team with a decent payroll. Red Sox have also underachieved.
That's what you get when you sign an already over-the-hill Albert Pujols for a 50-year $8 billion contract lol. This off-season's slow free agency movement has convinced me that MLB GMs are finally, finally wising up and aren't signing 30-year-olds to 8-year deals.

@TarHeelNation11

So my story behind liking the Yankees. I grew up liking baseball but not really having a team. But my great grandfather was an old school Yankees fan. He saw Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Mantle, Berra, Jackson...you name it. And when he died tragically in 2004, I was 9 years old. Everyone else on that side of the family roots for the Red Sox, but I learned later that he had given me his old Yankee jersey in his will. And that sealed the deal for me. My great grandfather was one of the best people I ever knew, and I root for the Yankees in his honor.

Reactions: toophly1124
That's what you get when you sign an already over-the-hill Albert Pujols for a 50-year $8 billion contract lol. This off-season's slow free agency movement has convinced me that MLB GMs are finally, finally wising up and aren't signing 30-year-olds to 8-year deals.

The Pujols and Hamilton contracts ruined the Angels, which is a shame because they are now wasting the prime years of the probably the greatest player of this generation.

Well the Yankees just signed a 28 year old to a 10 year deal, so don’t know if that qualifies.

Well the Yankees just signed a 28 year old to a 10 year deal, so don’t know if that qualifies.
It qualifies. That's wayyy too long of a deal. But it's the going rate/length, I suppose. Luckily, he's young enough at 28 that the Yankees won't feel the hurt of the back-end of the deal for 5-6 seasons.

Royals went to the world series two straight years and won it the second time. I think a college basketball team did the same thing recently in the tournament. I can't think of the team though. I'm sure it will come to me eventually.
I never said a small market team couldn’t compete. It’s harder for them to keep their stars after they achieve success, then the bigger teams come calling. How have the Royals done since those two World Series trips?
Not sure why you brought up college basketball.

It qualifies. That's wayyy too long of a deal. But it's the going rate/length, I suppose. Luckily, he's young enough at 28 that the Yankees won't feel the hurt of the back-end of the deal for 5-6 seasons.

I doubt they hang on to him for that long but you’re right he has about a five year window in which he can be solidly productive. New York has a very young roster and a fantastic farm system and I’ve waited a long time for it.

Not sure I agree with that. Small market teams win a decent share of championships. The Dodgers aren't a good example to use. They actually hurt your argument since they haven't won since the 80's.
It’s not about winning & losing. I’m all for the small market teams. Look at the mlb payrolls & see what teams are in the top 5 year after year.

A salary cap isn’t about just winning & losing. You can bring up the Dodgers, Cubs, Red Sox.... doesn’t matter.
As a Pirates fan, the Pirates had 3-4 really competitive years. They couldn’t get over the hump. If the bigger market teams didn’t hog the majority of the top players, those players would trickle down to the smaller teams.

The same teams are always near the top or the bottom year after year.
Not really. It wasn't that long ago the Phillies were atop of the division year after year. Their core got old and they were left with no farm system because they traded everyone away to get that core. They had to blow it up and start over, so their farm system could get better, and the major league team suffered majorly because of it, hence why they're a basement dweller now. Where were the Astros a few years ago? Were they always good? Nope. Their FO masterfully put together their farm system, and now their talent is in the major leagues kicking everyone's ass. I'm not sure where you're coming from here. There are always new teams popping up making noise.

Not really. It wasn't that long ago the Phillies were atop of the division year after year. Their core got old and they were left with no farm system because they traded everyone away to get that core. They had to blow it up and start over, so their farm system could get better, and the major league team suffered majorly because of it, hence why they're a basement dweller now. Where were the Astros a few years ago? Were they always good? Nope. Their FO masterfully put together their farm system, and now their talent is in the major leagues kicking everyone's ass. I'm not sure where you're coming from here. There are always new teams popping up making noise.
True about the Phillies but they sold their sole for those few competitive years.
Talk to me when The Yankees, Red Sox or Dodgers drop out of the top 10. Hell, the Yankees are pretty much in the top 3 every year.
http://www.stevetheump.com/Payrolls.htm#2013_payroll

Talk to me when The Yankees, Red Sox or Dodgers drop out of the top 10. Hell, the Yankees are pretty much in the top 3 every year.
So. Why does that matter? Just because you spend a lot of money doesn't mean you're going to win. Like I said before, if you don't have the money to spend, then you find other ways to win, and that's exactly what happens year after year.

Reactions: tarheel0910
So. Why does that matter? Just because you spend a lot of money doesn't mean you're going to win. Like I said before, if you don't have the money to spend, then you find other ways to win, and that's exactly what happens year after year.
My point isn’t about winning & losing. It’s about the small markets teams getting the leftovers from free agency every year. Why? Because the Rays can’t spend the money for a player that the Yankees can.
You take a small market team that is on the verge of having a great season, only needs to add a top starter or a big bat but they can’t compete with the Dodgers in free agency.
That’s why there needs to be a salary cap.

The Indians were a consistent winner in the 90's making two WS appearances and should have beaten the Marlins in 97. They are building a strong core again now.

I get that the larger market teams are more able to sustain success by spending money, but small market teams with smart people in key front office positions are still able to compete just as much as similar teams in other pro sports.

Worst idea ever

Which part? Cutting the season to 100 games might be a little drastic, but contracting the shitty markets/teams seems like a no-brainer to make the on-field product better.

ETA: nvm, saw further down you're a Pirates fan so that explains why you wouldn't want to trim the fat.

http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/payroll/positional/

So you think it’s fair that the Red Sox payroll is $230 million this year & the Phillies has a payroll of $45 million? They’re supposed to to compete at the same level?

Not fair at all. The Sox should be able to cut their payroll to $150M and send Price, Ramirez, and (reluctantly) Pedroia packing for having such crappy contracts.

True about the Phillies but they sold their sole for those few competitive years.
http://www.stevetheump.com/Payrolls.htm#2013_payroll

Ya, and what good has that done them? The Red Sox have managed to put one foot in front of the other recently but had 86 years of nothing, the Yankees outspend pretty much everyone every year and have won one title in the last 17 years. The Dodgers haven't won in 30 years.

I just thought KC had better average attendance than it did. But I looked up the numbers and you're right. The theoretical elimination wouldn't be about in-game attendance though. It would be about market capture.

True, I was using in-game attendance as a proxy because I was too lazy/not sure how to get market capture data for them. Not that KS and NE are incredibly desirable markets (sorry @nctransplant , #visitnebraska), but I feel like those people would pretty quickly change over to the Cardinals if they really cared about baseball (honestly thought the Cardinals dominated that whole area anyways)

I don't know, man. Every pro league makes the same mistake. People do not trust Southern markets to support teams, so instead, they put multiple teams in L.A. (A place that doesn't support ANY pro franchise adequately, unless they're championship contenders), and New York. MLS did the same thing. They refused to put a team in the South, and then finally put a team in Orlando and they're like "see, that's the South, right?!" Everyone knows Central Florida downward isn't "the South." And then they finally put a team in Atlanta and it goes over like gangbusters (mostly because Atlanta is a town full of faggits and hipsters, but I digress).

All that is to say that there's zero reason Florida should have two teams, D.C. and Baltimore should have separate teams, and California should have FIVE teams. Now the Rays are reportedly moving to Ybor City..... lulz. That will be a new location, with the same results -- no one showing up unless the Yankees are in town. Too many transplants.

IMO, the two teams who need to be relocated are the A's and the Mariners. Either one of those could slot into North Carolina. Could the Knights' new stadium be retrofitted to add 20,000 additional seats? Probably not.

Ya, DC should just adopt the Orioles, you're right about Cali, can probably drop the A's (Oakland can adopt Giants), LAA (adopt Dodgers), and Padres (can just GFT... or adopt Dodgers as well). I was also surprised at how crappy the attendance has been for the White Sox. That's a Cubs town anyways so they can easily get scrapped too.

Dave Dombrowski raises his hand after signing JD Martinez. I wanted them to punt on this season so bad so they could legit be in the running for the big FA class next year. I can already hear them telling fans they're not in the Machado or Harper sweepstakes because they sunk money into JD F'ing Martinez this offseason. Now they still won't win the division or even probably a playoff game, but have a much higher payroll while they do it.

It's important to remember that these small market / big market arguments won't mean anything if Manfred screws up the game with his insane ideas for rule changes. He will take all the fun out of the sport.
Yeah, I'm worried. Fortunately, baseball does a good job of policing itself and preserving the culture, so hopefully cooler heads prevail.

Reactions: MWHeels
New rule being discussed by MLB execs - teams will be able to use any players they want to bat in the 9th inning. Facepalm. Manfred should be fired immediately if this ever happens.

If there's a major change like this, it would open the floodgates. I think the main reason people don't want major changes is because they like the sanctity of the records in baseball. If this rule gets put in, and people are getting a full extra at bat per game, or something like changing the count, then all the records will be moot and will make more drastic changes inevitable. Honestly something that I'd be interested to see play out - but would also shed a tear for the loss of the sanctity of the game.

Dave Dombrowski raises his hand after signing JD Martinez. I wanted them to punt on this season so bad so they could legit be in the running for the big FA class next year. I can already hear them telling fans they're not in the Machado or Harper sweepstakes because they sunk money into JD F'ing Martinez this offseason. Now they still won't win the division or even probably a playoff game, but have a much higher payroll while they do it.
LOLLL, as soon as I heard the other day that Boston signed him, I knew you'd be pissed. Dombrowski saw all the other GMs sitting patiently, waiting for free agents to accept the fact they're not gonna get mega-long deals for mega money, and he was like "F it. I'll jump in!"

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
Yeah, I'm worried. Fortunately, baseball does a good job of policing itself and preserving the culture, so hopefully cooler heads prevail.

He did delay pitch clocks, so I guess there is hope. I'm fine with him getting rid of the down time (i.e. mound visits, batters staying in box, etc.) but still keeping the look of the game the same.

LOLLL, as soon as I heard the other day that Boston signed him, I knew you'd be pissed. Dombrowski saw all the other GMs sitting patiently, waiting for free agents to accept the fact they're not gonna get mega-long deals for mega money, and he was like "F it. I'll jump in!"

He's playing checkers while everyone else is playing chess

Baseball is actually in a really good position to sell itself right now. Look at all the young, budding stars: Mike Trout, Bryce Harper, Kris Bryant, Aaron Judge, Gary Sanchez, Jose Altuve, Andrew Benintendi, George Springer, etc.

Young stars, and new age rivalries can help baseball can become more popular again.

Reactions: MWHeels
Which part? Cutting the season to 100 games might be a little drastic, but contracting the shitty markets/teams seems like a no-brainer to make the on-field product better.

ETA: nvm, saw further down you're a Pirates fan so that explains why you wouldn't want to trim the fat.

Not fair at all. The Sox should be able to cut their payroll to $150M and send Price, Ramirez, and (reluctantly) Pedroia packing for having such crappy contracts.

Ya, and what good has that done them? The Red Sox have managed to put one foot in front of the other recently but had 86 years of nothing, the Yankees outspend pretty much everyone every year and have won one title in the last 17 years. The Dodgers haven't won in 30 years.
I’m assuming you’re a Red Sox fan? Now I see why you don’t want a salary cap

Baseball is actually in a really good position to sell itself right now. Look at all the young, budding stars: Mike Trout, Bryce Harper, Kris Bryant, Aaron Judge, Gary Sanchez, Jose Altuve, Andrew Benintendi, George Springer, etc.

Young stars, and new age rivalries can help baseball can become more popular again.

I agree, especially with the NFL dealing with the concussion issue.

I’m assuming you’re a Red Sox fan?

Eh, I seem to bash them as much as I root for them these days, but ya.

Now I see why you don’t want a salary cap

Where did I say that? In fact, I agreed with you that a salary cap would prevent the Sox from drowning in so many crappy contracts. My main point was to get rid of perennial losers from small markets (sorry Pirates).

Eh, I seem to bash them as much as I root for them these days, but ya.

Where did I say that? In fact, I agreed with you that a salary cap would prevent the Sox from drowning in so many crappy contracts. My main point was to get rid of perennial losers from small markets (sorry Pirates).
My mistake about the salary cap remark. I got you confused.

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
True, I was using in-game attendance as a proxy because I was too lazy/not sure how to get market capture data for them. Not that KS and NE are incredibly desirable markets (sorry @nctransplant , #visitnebraska), but I feel like those people would pretty quickly change over to the Cardinals if they really cared about baseball (honestly thought the Cardinals dominated that whole area anyways)

Ya, DC should just adopt the Orioles, you're right about Cali, can probably drop the A's (Oakland can adopt Giants), LAA (adopt Dodgers), and Padres (can just GFT... or adopt Dodgers as well). I was also surprised at how crappy the attendance has been for the White Sox. That's a Cubs town anyways so they can easily get scrapped too.

They would probably switch to the Rockies. It's closer

Yu-Darvish.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT