ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Atlanta Braves thread

Since the year 2000 the lowest the Red Sox have started the season is 6th on the highest payroll list.
How many World Series have the won? Sounds like a huge waste of money.
Sounds like a salary cap would save the Red Sox A LOT of money.
I'm not sure it can explained any better to you, bud. The fact the Red Sox have only won two world series in that time is the reason why no salary cap is good.

Oh BTW, no salary cap means more baseball players get paid big bucks, which is a major problem in the NFL right now.

https://www.axs.com/top-5-reasons-mlb-needs-a-salary-cap-60066

This article is a few years old but it explains why MLB NEEDS a salary cap.
1. I've never heard of that site.

2. He's writing from an A's perspective, so... he's kinda biased.

3. His #1 at the bottom is completely LOL-worthy:
  1. This is America, and equal opportunity still is the foundation upon which this nation was built (even if we still struggle at times to make it happen). MLB should be ahead of the curve here ... not behind it.
Uhm.... what? We aren't talking about everyone gets to use the same movie theater and drink from the same water fountain here. America has never been based on economic equality. Capitalism inherently means there will be rich, there will be moderately rich, and there will be poor, and everything in between.

Since the year 2000 the lowest the Red Sox have started the season is 6th on the highest payroll list.
How many World Series have the won? Sounds like a huge waste of money.
Sounds like a salary cap would save the Red Sox A LOT of money.

They've won 3 in that time, which is actually the most (tied with the Giants) during that time frame, so I'm not really sure what your point is considering this poast is unrelated to better players deserving more money. But yes, the Red Sox waste a shit ton of money, and yes a salary cap would save them a lot of money. But I dislike the corpse that is John Henry, so I'm fine with him wasting his money (even though he obviously makes much more than he spends with regards to the Red Sox).

The fact the Red Sox have only won two world series in that time

Ahem, see above. 2004, 2007, 2013

3. His #1 at the bottom is completely LOL-worthy:
  1. This is America, and equal opportunity still is the foundation upon which this nation was built (even if we still struggle at times to make it happen). MLB should be ahead of the curve here ... not behind it.
Uhm.... what? We aren't talking about everyone gets to use the same movie theater and drink from the same water fountain here. America has never been based on economic equality. Capitalism inherently means there will be rich, there will be moderately rich, and there will be poor, and everything in between.

Ya, a salary cap limiting income potential and giving all teams the same resources is actually quite un-American. It's fairly communist I must say. Not that I think every sports league should strive to be "American" or anything.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
The NBA has a version of the salary cap and will likely see the same two teams in the NBA finals for the fourth straight season. Small market teams are also for the most part unable to keep their drafted players once they become stars. Pacers (Paul George), Hornets (CP3) Jazz (Hayward) are just a few examples.

The NBA has a version of the salary cap and will likely see the same two teams in the NBA finals for the fourth straight season. Small market teams are also for the most part unable to keep their drafted players once they become stars.
Yeah, the MLB is much, much, much more competitively balanced than the NBA. Probably 10-12 teams each year have at least a realistic shot at reaching the World Series. In the NBA, 3 teams have a shot at reaching the finals.

The NBA has a major competitive balance issue.

The NFL (Patriots = biggest dynasty in sports right now) has a hard salary cap.

The NFL (Patriots = biggest dynasty in sports right now) has a hard salary cap.
Yeah, but that's not really a good example. The Patriots are an anomaly. The NFL is definitely the league with the most parity. But I would argue it has a bit too much parity, lol. The same teams never make the playoffs two years in a row (only the Falcons and Patriots did so this year, I believe).

@coolwaterunc and others, thoughts?

https://www.mlb.com/news/andruw-jones-mentoring-braves-ronald-acuna/c-267271020

Notable quote from article that's causing some heat: "The Braves want Acuna to wear his hat straight and maintain a professional appearance while in uniform."
I'd like baseball players to look like baseball players again. I hate the yankees but I like the facial hair, appearance rules they have in place. Wear your hat and uniform correctly, shave and cut your damn hair!

Reactions: coolwaterunc
I'd like baseball players to look like baseball players again. I hate the yankees but I like the facial hair, appearance rules they have in place. Wear your hat and uniform correctly, shave and cut your damn hair!
mattingly.gif

Reactions: nctransplant
@coolwaterunc and others, thoughts?

https://www.mlb.com/news/andruw-jones-mentoring-braves-ronald-acuna/c-267271020

Notable quote from article that's causing some heat: "The Braves want Acuna to wear his hat straight and maintain a professional appearance while in uniform."
Something over nothing. The Braves have always had a certain uniform etiquette. Players can't put their sunglasses over the logo on their cap, as another example. It's no different than a company saying you can't wear jeans to work. So what? Hell, the Yankees don't allow beards. What's the big deal about wanting your players to wear their caps straight?

Reactions: nctransplant
Something over nothing. The Braves have always had a certain uniform etiquette. Players can't put their sunglasses over the logo on their cap, as another example. It's no different than a company saying you can't wear jeans to work. So what? Hell, the Yankees don't allow beards. What's the big deal about wanting your players to wear their caps straight?
It's not a big deal, but of course you'll get media outrage (ironically perpetrated by folks older than 35) that will take @nctransplant's response above and say "ohhh, well THAT is why baseball isn't drawing in fans under the age of 35!!"

It's just a storyline because it's February, football is over, the combine hasn't ramped up quite yet, and the MLB regular season hasn't started yet. I'm of course in that mythical under 35-but-watches-baseball demographic, and I for one love that baseball polices itself and maintains its decorum it's always had (phew, just used its AND it's in quick succession), but I'm also an old soul.

Reactions: coolwaterunc
Just read where Nick Markakis threatened to "kick (John Hart's) ass" if he ever yelled at Brian Snitker again the way he did after a game last year. I love that guy. He's not really a fit for this team (never was), but I'll always have a ton of respect for Nick Markakis as a baseball player. If there's a dude out there that truly "gets it", it's him.

Just read where Nick Markakis threatened to "kick (John Hart's) ass" if he ever yelled at Brian Snitker again the way he did after a game last year. I love that guy. He's not really a fit for this team (never was), but I'll always have a ton of respect for Nick Markakis as a baseball player. If there's a dude out there that truly "gets it", it's him.
Where did you read that? Would love to read it. Apparently, Hart wasn't doing shit while on the job... he was just playing golf five days a week. And Coppy was universally hated by everyone even though he was a shrewd acquirer of talent.

I would not fukk with Nick Markakis lol. He could kill a grown man in under 10 seconds.

Yeah, DOB is an ass, but his articles are tolerable.
Thank you for bringing the article to my attention because I never read his stuff. He's such a dick on Twitter that I had to unfollow him. His info as a writer, while very good, wasn't enough for me. It didn't outweigh how annoying and irritating I find him on Twitter. And the AJC is never in my regular rotation because that paper sucks, by and large. DOB is actually probably the best journalist they have, in sports or any other section, which isn't saying a lot. They've really gone downhill since Furman Bisher (UNC grad) passed away a few years back.

I can't be the only one that's unfollowed DOB. You'd think writers would recognize shit like that and tone it down.

The more I think about it, the more I think we should just put Acuña on the opening day roster. Yes, I know keeping him in the minors for two weeks gives us an extra year of control, and that's cool. I mean, if he turns out to be really good, we need to work on locking him down long before that last year of control anyway, correct? Putting him on the roster for opening day would really boost the excitement and show Acuña that we really want him on this team and we truly see him as the future of this franchise. Am I off base here?

The more I think about it, the more I think we should just put Acuña on the opening day roster. Yes, I know keeping him in the minors for two weeks gives us an extra year of control, and that's cool. I mean, if he turns out to be really good, we need to work on locking him down long before that last year of control anyway, correct? Putting him on the roster for opening day would really boost the excitement and show Acuña that we really want him on this team and we truly see him as the future of this franchise. Am I off base here?
You're not off-base at all. His numbers are too damn good to ignore, and he needs to be put on the big league roster when spring training breaks. It would send a message to Acuña, the other 24 guys on the roster, the fanbase, AND the league. Fully agree on your premise that that extra year of control doesn't mean a darn thing. If he becomes as good as advertised, we're gonna have to lock him down before the end of his contract, regardless.

Well, it's official, Acuña reassigned to minor league camp for "more development time." Riiiiiiight. Staying in the minors for a couple of weeks will really help his development as a player. Opening Day officially starts April 13.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT