Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2010
A number of people here think our 2019 recruiting class will look like this:

Francis
Bacot
Green
Anthony
JRE

Just for fun, let's assume that's the case.

Many of us are worried that Francis may need his freshman year to be ready, but even if that's true, we'll have an awesome roster.

But who starts, and who comes off the bench for significant minutes?

Anthony 26 mpg
White 26 mpg
Leaky 22 mpg
Brooks 22 mpg
Manley 22 mpg

Woods 18 mpg
Platek/BRob 14 mpg
Green 14mpg
JRE 16 mpg
Bacot 14 mpg

Something like that with some tiny minutes for Huffman, Walker, Baby Jet, etc. Francis to redshirt.

A number of people here think our 2019 recruiting class will look like this:

Francis
Bacot
Green
Anthony
JRE

Just for fun, let's assume that's the case.

Many of us are worried that Francis may need his freshman year to be ready, but even if that's true, we'll have an awesome roster.

But who starts, and who comes off the bench for significant minutes?
Assuming Little is a OAD, I can see...
Pg-Anthony (w/Woods starting initially)
Sg-White
SF-Green
Pf-Brooks
Pf-Bacot (w/Manley starting initially)

A Junior Brooks should be able to beat out Freshman JRE, likewise a Jr. Manley should, at least in the beginning, get the edge over a Fr. Bacot. Feel kinda bad for Seventh. To lose your spot as a Sr, to a Fr. no less, is gonna leave a mark

Anthony 26 mpg
White 26 mpg
Leaky 22 mpg
Brooks 22 mpg
Manley 22 mpg

Woods 18 mpg
Platek/BRob 14 mpg
Green 14mpg
JRE 16 mpg
Bacot 14 mpg

Something like that with some tiny minutes for Huffman, Walker, Baby Jet, etc. Francis to redshirt.
I'm not sure very many would see JRE, Green and Bacot all coming off the bench. But I like your general apportionment of minutes.

I'm not sure very many would see JRE, Green and Bacot all coming off the bench. But I like your general apportionment of minutes.

Brooks is an excellent defender and that will be even more true next year. Roy likes that. Manley, if his progression stays at the rate we saw throughout his first year, will be difficult to take out of the starting lineup. Plus, they will have been through 3 offseason strength and conditioning programs. They’ll be better conditioned and just more mature physically.

And I went with Leaky because I think he’s going to be special. I think his versatility, length and ball handling and vision will work well with two guys in Anthony and White who like to fill it up.

Reactions: HermanT
Anthony 26 mpg
White 26 mpg
Leaky 22 mpg
Brooks 22 mpg
Manley 22 mpg

Woods 18 mpg
Platek/BRob 14 mpg
Green 14mpg
JRE 16 mpg
Bacot 14 mpg

That would be an absolutely stacked front court. I think the min would have to be more evenly distributed, cause some of those guys would be near impossible to keep off the floor, namely Bacot, he'll be a force right outa the gate.

Last edited:
Anthony
BRob
Green
Brooks
Manley

I dont think we’ll be lucky enough to get to see Cole and Coby in the same back court, but if we do just go ahead and give us the Natty, and I dont think we’ll end up with JRE.

Manley, Brooks and Bacot takes almost all of the minutes at the 4 and 5. Leaky gets minutes at the 3 and 4.

I see our Starters as PG- Anthony, SG- Coby, SF- Green, PF- JRE and C/ PF- Bacot. Roy always has said you may beat my starting 5 but what about my next Five? Just the practices alone would be so talented and competitive. Plus, we all know it doesn’t matter who starts it matters who finishes. I think about how our 05 Team was so sound and the Final 5 he had out on the court to finish the game was Raymond, Manuel, Noel, Marvin and Sean. He had switched out J. Williams for M. Williams and had Jackie and a walk on Wide Receiver in David Noel. Which the next year at Rupp, Noel had one of the sickest in game dunks ever when he went weakside baseline and just tomahawked the heck out of the b.ball. I remember I was watching the game with a close friend who was an insane and avid kensucky fan and as soon as David took that dribble to the basket I jumped up and yelled Oh My God!!! And then boom!!! What a great memory and a fun season because we had lost basically everyone either by graduation or turning pro. We lost from that 05 Title Team if memory serves was Seniors J. Williams, M.Scott, J. Manuel and early departure: M. Williams, Felton, McCants and May. Seems like I am forgetting someone though. Beating that dook team on their Senior night was so much fun and historic as we beat one of the greatest dook teams supposedly of all time with first team all Americans in JJ. Reddick and S. Williams and the #1 recruit in Josh mcroberts. Ok, I took a little detour there and got off track somewhat but I do believe in the next two years we will add another Natty to the list. For fun how about if we landed these recruits and Nassir pulls a Barnes and comes back for his Sophmore year. Wow! Which I have been on record and stated we would have won the title in 2012 if Kendall doesn’t get taken out. I do believe once again that we should have had rings for 1977, 1984, 1998 ( man that one against Utah hurt bad! ), 2012 and 2016. That would have meant that we would have taken 2 away from kensucky’s Natty total list as well. People have said well you would have lost to kensucky again and I don’t believe that for a second. We lost at Rupp on a coin flip of a game in the final minute of the game. Just like in 93 when we lost to Michigan in Hawaii and played them for the title again 4 months later I just knew that we were going to win the second time around for the ring.

Anthony 26 mpg
White 26 mpg
Leaky 22 mpg
Brooks 22 mpg
Manley 22 mpg

Woods 18 mpg
Platek/BRob 14 mpg
Green 14mpg
JRE 16 mpg
Bacot 14 mpg

If those are the projections that Roy is selling to Green and JRE then they aren’t coming here and if Bacot sees it then he’ll decommit.

5 star recruits expect to play 20mpg minimum and in most cases they deserve it.

Tony Bradley averaged 14 mpg and that number declined down the stretch.

I’m sure Roy is selling them the same way he sells every recruit - “come here, earn PT and be a part of something special.” I highly doubt Roy has his substitution patterns for the year after next already worked out.

Reactions: HermanT
^^^ too true!
Threads like this make me wonder how much time people have on their hands.... lets see how 18-19 goes before discussing PT for 19-20!!!

You don't really think he's going after these guys without a very good idea of how he will use them if he lands them, do you?

The 2019-20 isn't set in stone, obviously. But it makes perfect sense to think about the possible lineups - whether you are Roy or merely a fan.

see our Starters as PG- Anthony, SG- Coby, SF- Green, PF- JRE and C/ PF- Bacot.
Hard to imagine Roy starting 4 frosh and a soph.

They might all get starter or near-starter minutes, but I wouldn't expect more than 2 or maybe 3 frosh on the floor at the same time. Certainly not early in the season.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
I expect us to start only two freshmen: Anthony and White (provided CA signs and CW stays!) Green and JRE will come off the bench and still receive starter level minutes!

I don't think we get Anthony unless Coby is OAD. So...

Anthony
BRob/Andrew
Green/Moore
JRE
Manley

Seventh, BRob/Andrew, Rechon, Garrison, Bacot off the Bench. An embarrassment of riches.

You don't really think he's going after these guys without a very good idea of how he will use them if he lands them, do you?

The 2019-20 isn't set in stone, obviously. But it makes perfect sense to think about the possible lineups - whether you are Roy or merely a fan.
That’s where we differ and all good.... I prefer to let Roy deal with that stuff and just enjoy the games.

I expect us to start only two freshmen: Anthony and White (provided CA signs and CW stays!) Green and JRE will come off the bench and still receive starter level minutes!

In this thought train, don't expect Bacot or Earl (if we were to get him) to start over a junior version of Manley or Brooks, I would be VERY surprised if he did. Now if Coby does come back, he either stays at the point or moves to the 2 in a duo PGs look that Roy loves, If Coby is 1&D, I am perfectly happy with Platek or 7th stepping in to the starting 2g role, with BRob/Leaky/ or Green (if we get him). At the wing (3) I would see Green starting with Leaky and BRob backing up. I just do not see Roy starting more than 2 freshmen and really, I don't think I would want him to with the experienced guys he will have available. If we do not get Cole, IMO, only 1 freshman starts (Green) and that would not even be a given until we see how well Leaky can handle the 3 spot.

In this thought train, don't expect Bacot or Earl (if we were to get him) to start over a junior version of Manley or Brooks, I would be VERY surprised if he did.

If you've watched Carolina basketball under Roy Williams, the smart money is on the upperclassmen to start. Sure, there's a chance those two guys start. But if you're betting, you're a fool to take the freshman. I'll believe it when I see it.

In this thought train, don't expect Bacot or Earl (if we were to get him) to start over a junior version of Manley or Brooks, I would be VERY surprised if he did. Now if Coby does come back, he either stays at the point or moves to the 2 in a duo PGs look that Roy loves, If Coby is 1&D, I am perfectly happy with Platek or 7th stepping in to the starting 2g role, with BRob/Leaky/ or Green (if we get him). At the wing (3) I would see Green starting with Leaky and BRob backing up. I just do not see Roy starting more than 2 freshmen and really, I don't think I would want him to with the experienced guys he will have available. If we do not get Cole, IMO, only 1 freshman starts (Green) and that would not even be a given until we see how well Leaky can handle the 3 spot.
One of the questions that should be answered fairly soon this year is whether Leaky has the quickness and motor to play at this level.

When I first saw HS clips of him, that worried me. Especially when he was playing without the ball in his hands. Rather lethargic. He looked better in the Bahamas clips, but that was against weak competition.

One possibility is that his motor only revs high enough when he is handling the ball a lot - meaning either at point or as a point-forward. Nothing wrong with that - if those positions are open for him. But they may not be. We are used to having energy guys at SF - Theo, Justin, JP and more.

Another possibility, of course, is that his motor and quickness are just fine.

Green's motor looks strong. So Leaky's will have to be pretty good to keep Green from pushing him to the bench.

Obviously those are just guesses based on clips. Leaky will have a full year to rev up.

No reason I can think of why they can't be on the court at the same time if they are both good enough.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT