ADVERTISEMENT

Evaluating the roster at the end of the regular season

Caleb's biggest problem is that he just isn't as good of a scorer as he thinks he is. Everyone has played with a guy who is undoubtedly talented but just jacks up way too many bad shots. He has the shot selection of Kobe but he doesn't shoot anywhere near a high enough percentage to justify that level of aggressiveness, particularly with the deep 3's. There is no way his teammates aren't fed up with watching him try to play hero ball.

If him coming back were on the table I'd hope that Hubert really coaches him up on taking better shots and getting to the rim more.

I think there's a better chance of Mando and RJ coming back next year which both would help this team. RJ can be more effective playing off the ball, and provides experience as a primary ball handler so he could step back in the 1 spot if needed. Mando just needs to get those ankles healthy and develop some kind of midrange jump shot. His experience and rebounding would be a huge help next year.

I think Puff would surprise a lot of people if he could get healthy and get consistent minutes. Maybe a summer working with his brother's NBA resources can help him elevate his game. Hasn't shot it great but has the length to get off shots and has a decent stroke. And obviously the shot making gene runs in the family.

Washington and Trimble both need to have a big summer and really develop their games. Same for Nickel. I'd play those guys 30+ minutes a game if we decided to go the NIT.
I agree with you that Caleb taking difficult step back treys early in the shot clock has been a problem for Caleb since he came to us but do we make it to the final game last season without Caleb hitting those kind of shots, do we beat duke the last 2 times we played them that season without those dramatic shots from Caleb?

2nd half of this season Caleb took much better quality shots, looked to drive and draw defenders and kick to the open guy a LOT MORE! It was to the point that we didn't talk much about Caleb getting 5 assists in a game, like we began to expect it. How about the rebounding from both Caleb and RJ, those numbers starting really looking better. Sure he took the occasional heat check, you have to expect that from a kid wired to score like he is, you want him to play with that kind of confidence.

Caleb actually is as good a scorer as he thinks he is. Shot selection should be better, but the offensive scheme Hubert has does not help. A lot of those bad shots come with the play clock running down, no movement by the other players, and passing it back to Caleb hoping he can make a play. That's not real offense. Caleb worked out all summer in California with NBA players and they all spoke highly of his skill level and shot making ability. Playing three against five doesn't help either, because Nance and Leaky were not serious scoring threats.
I just completely agree, spot on pratt, spot on!

Reactions: pratt2g
TL;DR most of the replies.

I say find out who is going to stay and who’s going to leave real early so that Hubert knows and can hit the portal. From that point with his recruits and his choices of transfers, we can see whether or not he can coach. Although he doesn’t have but two recruits coming in so best of luck there. Gotta be real good at the portal guessing game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT