ADVERTISEMENT

2023 RECRUITING...

PI: The UNC visit — you did both an unofficial and an official there. What was that like?

GJ: That was definitely a dream come true. Me and my dad, we’ve been wanting to go there for a long time. We’ve been talking about that since I was a little kid, so that was definitely a fun experience. It’s another coach that looks like me and talks like me and to be in that big of a position.

for what its worth, I follow him on instrgram and over the past week or so, in his "story" section, on different days there was different pics of him at UNC, one with him and HD and another where he is dribbling the basketball with the UNC memorabilia behind him.

In that same interview G.G. says he likes to watch Banchero. That worries me, if Banchero gets ACC POY, ROY and if Duke makes a late run in March.

PI: Do you watch a lot of college or NBA? Who do you like to watch?

GJ: Player-wise in college, definitely a lot of Paolo (Banchero). He was one of my favorite players coming out of high school. In the NBA, guys like Kevin Durant, Jayson Tatum.

Reactions: TheGLOV
In that same interview G.G. says he likes to watch Banchero. That worries me, if Banchero gets ACC POY, ROY and if Duke makes a late run in March.

GJ: Player-wise in college, definitely a lot of Paolo (Banchero). He was one of my favorite players coming out of high school. In the NBA, guys like Kevin Durant, Jayson Tatum.
I doubt that means much for dook. These kids are all friends from AAU ball. Last year, dook didn't even make the tournament, so I doubt a run in March would mean anything, either. All programs are year-to-year these days.

Doesn't worry me though. It makes sense he would watch athletic bigs with handles and versatility! The best have to compare themselves to the best! Hopefully, he doesn't pick up the inconsistent motor and lack of concern for team success from Banchero!

Reactions: tilador and TheGLOV
Doesn't worry me though. It makes sense he would watch athletic bigs with handles and versatility! The best have to compare themselves to the best! Hopefully, he doesn't pick up the inconsistent motor and lack of concern for team success from Banchero!
That's a big problem with the surefire OADs. They want to "build their brand" and avoid injury more than anything else, and that's fine. Only a few have that burning desire to win above all else.

Its really starting to look like GG is an absolute must get for HD and he needs to get some other people, If they miss the tourney this year, and then you lose love, bacot, black,manek and bringing in a ok recruiting class, makes you think next year will be a tough time too..... that makes year 3 make or break for HD

Reactions: Old_School59

When words like this effect you, that he is a Banchero fan, would really only be a concern if Banchero would be with duke when GG plays college ball, he will not be. He was a fan of Banchero, was a fan of PJ Hall as well, PRIOR to their playing in college. Now GG will certainly consider how he will be used in the college game and a program that uses another guy in a similar fashion as he wants to be used, especially if that guy current in that program will not be back the following season, that yes, it is a factor. But all Hubert has to do is show the kid how Manek and Garcia have been used this season, their being used as Stretch guys shows Hubert is motivated to use a guy of his skill set as a stretch.

With multiple coaches wanting to use him as a stretch then it comes down to who he trusts, who he forms the better relationship with in other words it comes down to the people involved, both the staffs as well as the over all comfort with the school things like campus ect.

The 1 and only area I have of concern when it comes to our recruiting is how we are handling the NIL stuff, as opposed to some other big time programs, duke very clearly being 1. It appears the program at some of these big time programs are taking a leading role with NIL, actually very involved with hooking up their "NIL" deals for the players. UNC has taken more of a reserved back seat in this area, electing to educate the kids on NIL, maybe refer them to a group that is arranging them but not having the school directly involved in that negotiation process while others seem to be.

I thought, think now this NIL stuff is still very vague as to what the NCAA will allow, for now it appears it is the wild west and there are no rules, no one knows if that is actually the case or just a period of times where the NCAA in the end decides to regulate some of this? The NCAA has been strangely quiet on what they will and will not allow, is UNC being to conservative in their approach? It does appear that duke hit hard on the NIL aspect of GG playing for duke and Hubert took a different tact. We will have to see how that plays out but for now it does feel like we are behind on the NIL pitch and that is important to all these kids.

Its really starting to look like GG is an absolute must get for HD and he needs to get some other people, If they miss the tourney this year, and then you lose love, bacot, black,manek and bringing in a ok recruiting class, makes you think next year will be a tough time too..... that makes year 3 make or break for HD
Must get?

I think we get GG but is he a must get? I realize, on the surface there is a collective yes being screamed at me right now but... GG is a 1&D kid, so does GG in his 1 season with us give us in games the same kind of thing that duke has got from Banchero/Zion/Bagley? Or does he give us as a can't miss 5 star player the same thing Love/Naz/Kessler gave us?

There is a considerable portion of this UNC fan base, myself being 1 of those voices, that really prefer us to build the program so that we are able to file talented teams with solid experience, a thing you can not do if you are committed to the 1&D method of building your program. If like me, you want your program to build over time with the solid but not 5 star guys (not saying no 5 stars, saying sprinkle in 5stars but not a total sell out for them as has happened at duke and Ky) your chances at winning nattys is increased. I miss the days when we only started 1 or 2 freshmen because we had talented and now experienced players coming back. That is harder to do now days because the portal makes changing schools really to easy.

Must get?

I think we get GG but is he a must get? I realize, on the surface there is a collective yes being screamed at me right now but... GG is a 1&D kid, so does GG in his 1 season with us give us in games the same kind of thing that duke has got from Banchero/Zion/Bagley? Or does he give us as a can't miss 5 star player the same thing Love/Naz/Kessler gave us?

There is a considerable portion of this UNC fan base, myself being 1 of those voices, that really prefer us to build the program so that we are able to file talented teams with solid experience, a thing you can not do if you are committed to the 1&D method of building your program. If like me, you want your program to build over time with the solid but not 5 star guys (not saying no 5 stars, saying sprinkle in 5stars but not a total sell out for them as has happened at duke and Ky) your chances at winning nattys is increased. I miss the days when we only started 1 or 2 freshmen because we had talented and now experienced players coming back. That is harder to do now days because the portal makes changing schools really to easy.
Thats a fair argument, but if we are talking year 3 and HD hasn't made the tourney (thats a big if, but lets just play hypothetical ) hes going to need all the help he can get, even if its a one year stop gap. And listen what do I know its just my opinion maybe the UNC brass gives him a 5 year leash, who knows, but i really got to think by year 3 hes gonna feel some big time pressure to produce

Must get?

I prefer building a program, too, but you need a good coach to do that, and at this juncture we don't have that.........whether you want to admit that or not is up to you. Hubert may become a good coach, but he's made very little progress in that area so far.

I prefer building a program, too, but you need a good coach to do that, and at this juncture we don't have that.........whether you want to admit that or not is up to you. Hubert may become a good coach, but he's made very little progress in that area so far.
It is not a matter of me admitting that, it is very much the case that I do NOT agree with the way you see Hubert as a coach.

I don't really like reclassifying as it seems to be only for the benefit of the school. I will take him of course, but I hope he stays in his class. A kid should enjoy his senior year in HS, especially if he a star athlete!

Genuinely interested in hearing your answer: what is it you see in Hubert that makes you think he’s a good coach? And dont say he’s a nice guy or that players like him
As am I.........couldn't care less about how nice he is or how much the players like him. Point to something that helps prove your assertion that he's a good coach.

What's your evidence that he's a bad coach?
Im not saying Hubert is a bad coach(that may be a little harsh) and I would never argue at this moment in time, he's a good coach either. But, he has chosen to completely scrap Roys system for the new age "4out,1 in". In doing so, he is ultimately answerable for its success/failure. I can see anyone saying the 19-8 is success(and it is) but it is not a high enough level of success considering the talent inherited or for the Carolina program standard. Here is why I would say Hubert has disappointed this season.

If you were to chart UNCs offensive possessions vs the opponents, the opponent always wins the battle of "good looks". This is the battle Hubert has to win in the coaching matchup. If a coach continually loses this "open looks" battle vs the other coach, he has lost his coaching matchup. There is little hope for long term greatness. UNCs shot attempts are always a higher degree of difficulty vs the other team. Caleb and RJ(not as much comparatively) take deep 3s and late shot clock 3s. When Caleb/RJ drive to the basket, they are seldom looking to draw/dish, they are looking to finish. If they are successful, it is a highlite finish. There is no drive/dish structured set up.

Hubert has not been able to instruct these talented players on how execute the offensive system. The proof is in the high level of turnovers, contested perimeter shots, inability to isolate Bacot consistently, and drives to the rim without a predetermined option when rim defenders are waiting. All of this results in what the eye test shows, easily defended offense.

• Haha
Reactions: TPFKAPFS
1 - The system Roy was running for the last 2 years was dogshit. Or at least the results were and that’s what everybody is crying about, right? So maybe Hubert knew exactly what he was doing when he decided to put the 2 bigs system to rest. So frankly, this could be evidence for either side, I reckon.

2 - I’m going to need to see this chart you’ve made for every game that shows “good looks” before I can comment on that. no offense, but I’m not just going to take your word for it.

3 - In regards to Caleb and RJ’s play, this could be as much on Caleb and RJ as it is on Hubert. “Why don’t we sit guys that don’t play the right way?!!” Because Hubert is trying to win. He needs to to get the fan base off his back when a bunch of armchair QBs start talking about how he sucks.

4 - I don’t disagree that Hubert hasn’t been able to get these guys where they need to be. But remember, these aren’t his guys. And to make a claim that a coach can’t get through to players that he inherited from a previous coach and previous system is knee-jerk. This can’t be evaluated until after next year at least, probably closer to the end of the 2023-2024 season.

Genuinely interested in hearing your answer: what is it you see in Hubert that makes you think he’s a good coach? And dont say he’s a nice guy or that players like him
Actually, if I had to come up right now with 2 things that I may be a bit less than enamored over with what Hubert is as a head coach would be that he is to nice at times. The role of a coach has to be more of a father/son deal than a best buddy deal, the dividing line there being a degree of respect that has to be there for the player to the coach. Asst coaches tend to form relationships to players as being more friends, especially the younger coaches and that is fine for an asst coach but as a head coach that relationship has to change and I would suggest maybe it needs to change more. Players MUST respect the coach more than feel he is their buddy.

IN his first recruiting class Hubert got pretty much the guys he wanted, got his 1B if he didn't get his 1A. The only real miss and he took it as far as a coach could, was Kessler. While I don't really feel garcia lived up to the expectations, Hubert made the whole UNC fan base happy by snagging Garcia, Manek, and McKoy from the portal. So far, I like his recruiting decisions, while I would have liked us to get the kid that gary loves (Bradley) as a PG, Trimble committed first and you just have to take that bird in the hand.

He is preaching LOVE for UNC and LOVE for these UNC team mates, wow, to use Grover's mantra, all we need is love, referring to the feeling not than the player. I not only love that message but when he is able to re-establish that it may well result in players not entering the portal as they do now as well as see teams play less selfish, play with more trust in their team mates. Right now that is a problem IMO because players don't really understand that. But I do really like our current incoming class, it is the kind of class that with experience can be a core of a natty contending type of season.

Hubert has handed things with nothing but class publicly, considering that he is following up men like Dean and Roy, shows Hubert as a high class man and in time recruits will see that more and more, as the 03 kid we already have committed as a 5 star guard.

In game decisions, well even in games we dig holes that we have to fight out of Hubert gets their heads back in it. How about the fact that Hubert went to Caleb late in a game where he was 2 for 18 or so and let the kid know, his coach believed in him and out of the blue Caleb is involved in the 2 plays that win the game. That is coaching there. Lot of folks don't like Hubert in his post game PCs talking about how proud he is of his players and how well they played even if what we saw didn't match his words. That is called coach speak, most great coaches do the same, have you forgotten how Dean worded things after games? You do not throw your players under the buss in public, you do all you can to build them up rather than tear them down.

Hubert has been hit with 2 player related blows losing both Garcia and Ant. IN Garcia we lost our front court depth, he was our starting 4 and at 6'11" could move between the 4 and 5 spot, without him we are really small and our bench has not produced from the 4 spot so we are having to run Bacot and Manek to death. It is the cards Hubert has been dealt but it is as well a learning experience for Hubert.

I do not think it is fair to hold Hubert to the same level of expectation we held our 2 hall of fame coaches to, especially in his first season as UNC head coach. Yet Hubert has already won as many games as Roy did in his first season back at UNC and has done so with much less talent to put on the court.

1 - The system Roy was running for the last 2 years was dogshit. Or at least the results were and that’s what everybody is crying about, right? So maybe Hubert knew exactly what he was doing when he decided to put the 2 bigs system to rest. So frankly, this could be evidence for either side, I reckon.

2 - I’m going to need to see this chart you’ve made for every game that shows “good looks” before I can comment on that. no offense, but I’m not just going to take your word for it.

3 - In regards to Caleb and RJ’s play, this could be as much on Caleb and RJ as it is on Hubert. “Why don’t we sit guys that don’t play the right way?!!” Because Hubert is trying to win. He needs to to get the fan base off his back when a bunch of armchair QBs start talking about how he sucks.

4 - I don’t disagree that Hubert hasn’t been able to get these guys where they need to be. But remember, these aren’t his guys. And to make a claim that a coach can’t get through to players that he inherited from a previous coach and previous system is knee-jerk. This can’t be evaluated until after next year at least, probably closer to the end of the 2023-2024 season.
1. You could be right that Hubert made a good decision to go to 4out,1 in. But it looks like he didn't knew how to implement it(at this late point in the season). Hubert not only had no head coaching experience, he had no experience in the offensive system he chose.

2. Didn't say I had a chart for every game but take a look at the 2nd half of the biggest win of the season vs VT:

UNCs offense had 31 second half possessions before VT started fouling at the 1 minute remaining mark. The outcome of 19 possessions was failure. That a +60% fail rate.

9 turnovers
6 highly contested three pointers(several late shot clock type)
4 drives against 2/3 rim defenders(blocked,no set outlet options)
Don't take my word for it, go watch, judge for yourself.

3. Hubert is the leader in facilitating guard success in a completely new system. I hope he becomes more successful.

4. Based on the guards execution level, you may be right that he is not getting through. Hubert will have learned more this season than any before. He will need to do an honest assessment of the failure to execute offensively and fix it.

Hubert has us pointed is the right direction, IMO at least. To suggest the use of your power forward as a stretch is like using the 3pt shot to your advantage, may not be what you prefer to do but it is how the game is played now days.

What Hubert is trying to install is IMO the right path but he does not have it instilled in the team he inherited, those fellas were recruited by Roy to play the way Roy wanted to play. I have said it all year, what we are missing is a PG that breaks down defenses with his dribble, limits TO, and utilizes next level quickness. On 2 of our last 3 natty teams, we had ultra quick and extremely fast with the dribble PGs in Roy and Ty. Joel was a step slower than those 2 but still very quick and fast and didn't turn the ball over frequently. This just does not define Caleb at all and really, it does not define RJ either. Will Trimble be able to give us that, I think he can, no one knows if he will.

Now, as far as Hubert getting guys that fit his schemes, well in the stretch 4 role Washington fits great if healthy, I personally think Nichel (who I consider a young Manek) fits that bill really well. The problem is a Bacot guy, not as sure Shaver can be that next season, I do see him as a young Bacot but we need a soph version of Bacot rather than a freshman version and I see Shaver as a freshman Bacot. If Bacot leaves we will need to hit the portal for a big man that can help us now. I do think Shaver could do a solid job as Bacot's guy that gives him some minutes to rest, I do think he may be able to hold down 10-15mins next season but more than that scares me.

I don't really like reclassifying as it seems to be only for the benefit of the school. I will take him of course, but I hope he stays in his class. A kid should enjoy his senior year in HS, especially if he a star athlete!
We don't have the pieces around him next season to make it payoff. In 2024 with GG surrounded by experienced role player, we can be a FF contender.

Based off the NIL talk, he doesn't seem big on us. Lol at misspelling Tar Heel as Tar Hell also in the article.
yeaaa he mentions both Duke and South Carolina on the NIL stuff and not a single thing about UNC about NIL. but on the flip side, he talks about about a place that will treat him like family after basketball and all that which seems like a postive of UNC, so who knows. If it really is about NIL stuff its a downright embarrassment that UNC hasn't done better with it, for all those years we all complained (and rightfully so) about the dukes, kentucky, kansas, Arizona's all playing players and now its actually legal and UNC doesn't have its sh*t together.

yeaaa he mentions both Duke and South Carolina on the NIL stuff and not a single thing about UNC about NIL. but on the flip side, he talks about about a place that will treat him like family after basketball and all that which seems like a postive of UNC, so who knows. If it really is about NIL stuff its a downright embarrassment that UNC hasn't done better with it, for all those years we all complained (and rightfully so) about the dukes, kentucky, kansas, Arizona's all playing players and now its actually legal and UNC doesn't have its sh*t together.
This is what I said as well. Carolina will get left in the dust if it can’t figure out the new world of recruiting. NIL is now legal and Carolina needs to adjust quickly. No reason not to do what you can within the rules given.

The football team seems to be doing a lot better as far as infrastructure and planning for NIL. Hubert should probably give Mack a call. He really needs someone in the basketball office who does nothing but NIL stuff.

G.G to commit within a couple of weeks. Which Im assuming hes got his mind made up already. If not why say your gonna commit in two weeks? Crystal Ball still showing all for UNC. I follow him on Instagram and he seems to re post a lot of UNC and USC pics that others send him. Jeff Goodman said dont discount USC and the hometown pull. Also anytime Duke is involved its scary... This is such a HUGE recruit for HD, really hoping he can pull this one out. Anyone got any more info or rumors on it?

It's debatable, but some would say this recruitment could define Hubert's tenure. I haven't decided if I agree with that or not. But I certainly recognize why some might think that.

It's debatable, but some would say this recruitment could define Hubert's tenure. I haven't decided if I agree with that or not. But I certainly recognize why some might think that.
No, I don't think it would define Hubert's work at all, would suggest that we know a good bit of how Hubert recruits of which I see in a very positive way. I think what defines things for Hubert is about how he develops the players he has in his charge, how they play together.

I am not sure anything is gained from trying to access Hubert's tenure at this time in his career. What Dean did in his very first season at UNC did not define his tenure.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT