ADVERTISEMENT

3 Final Fours

What Would Jesus Do?

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2010
I just saw yet another talking head talking about Joel Berry being great if he gets to 3 Final Fours.

Am I the only one who finds this odd? And not just because at least twice they've felt they had to mention Laettner. I mean it hasn't happened yet. And if it does, we will actually have 3 or 4 guys on the team who will have been here for 3 FFs. 4 if you count everybody on the team for those FFs, 3 if you only count those who got on the court (Kenny was injured last year).

Joel
Theo
Luke
Kenny

Now of course Joel would be the top dog of that group - having started and played over 30 minutes per game (assuming he will again this year if we get there). But it isn't just Joel.

And please stop mentioning Laettner.

Yeah all four of those guys went to the previous two, but only one started. And there isn’t a doubt in mind we wouldn’t have been to the previous two without Joel.

I think this, as well as the fact that he was the starter for the last two and team captain is why he gets the most recognition.
He definitely deserves the most recognition, but he isn't the only one - which is what the talking heads make it sound like.

He definitely deserves the most recognition, but he isn't the only one - which is what the talking heads make it sound like.
This is how sports media works though. Ten hours of Trae Young / Brett Favre /Lebron coverage for every 10 minutes of talk about role players. The stars sell, so that's who they are going to talk about.

Joel has been a major contributed so that is why. Luke Maye would be 3 for 3, but I prolly would not mention Kenny.

I have been a Heels fan for 46 years. Three Final Fours in a row is something I have never experienced and would be amazing. I was alive in the late 60s when they made 3 in a row but way too young to remember. My first memories are of 72 and Bob Mcadoo. I think we have a fighting chance but I'm not getting my hopes up just yet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT