ADVERTISEMENT

ACC tourney strategy ?

dtodd4475

Hall of Famer
Jul 17, 2005
Not overlooking the final 3 games, but I think we will be a solid 2 seed with a shot at a 1 (4/5 overall) and a 3 as the floor. Not a huge difference ?

With our minute usage established I think this is a year to switch it during 3 games in 3 day format, and give the extended bench time crowd what they want during the ACC tourney. Play to win, but the extended bench will play extended minutes.

Don't win the battle, just to hamper your chances to win the war type situation. With that said all focus should be on NC State by the team, but a big picture tourney view should be forming as well by Hubert and staff.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Not overlooking the final 3 games, but I think we will be a solid 2 seed with a shot at a 1 (4/5 overall) and a 3 as the floor. Not a huge difference ?
Three #1 seeds are pretty much set in Houston (South), Purdue (Midwest), and UConn (East). So would you rather have the 2-seed playing in Charlotte (East or South) or the 1-seed playing in Salt Lake City (West)?

I'd go Charlotte as the #2 .

Three #1 seeds are pretty much set in Houston (South), Purdue (Midwest), and UConn (East). So would you rather have the 2-seed playing in Charlotte (East or South) or the 1-seed playing in Salt Lake City (West)?

If Zona is the 2 out west. Being #1 out west is not ideal. I'm thinking more on the 3 games 3 days to win the ACC tourney though going into the big dance. Some years it's a boost, others it's a disadvantage in my opinion. This year seems to be shaping up as the latter.

We can still be in Charlotte for the first two rounds as the 1 seed in the west. And I'd rather have Arizona as the main competition in our region (even if it's out west) than UConn or Purdue (in Boston or Detroit).

We can still be in Charlotte for the first two rounds as the 1 seed in the west. And I'd rather have Arizona as the main competition in our region (even if it's out west) than UConn or Purdue (in Boston or Detroit).

Totally agree.

But secondly, I don't think we're good enough to win the national title. And it's been since 2016 since we won an ACCT. Personally, I'd rather do everything we can to win the ACCT and let the chips fall where they may.

With our minute usage established I think this is a year to switch it during 3 games in 3 day format, and give the extended bench time crowd what they want during the ACC tourney. Play to win, but the extended bench will play extended minutes.

Don't win the battle, just to hamper your chances to win the war type situation. With that said all focus should be on NC State by the team, but a big picture tourney view should be forming as well by Hubert and staff.
Not to be that guy but the way we have played the last 3 weeks we don't have a very good chance of playing 3 in 3 days!

If you are not worried you should be!

Win out and see what happens! I vote we extend the bench as well, but play to win all games. I prefer to be a 1 seed if possible for the easier road! I firmly believe we are definitely good enough to win it all!

I wouldn't mind being the 2 in Houston's bracket, I think they are beatable and there's no guarantee we would meet anyway, brackets tend to not stay chalk.

I like this team, but I don't think it's a good tournament-style team. I hope they can win the regular season title so they can hang a banner. I could be totally wrong, of course.

Reactions: notashelbyfan
Our D is good enough to carry us and we have multiple peeps who can, have, and will step up when needed. The team plays hard and supports each other. There are no teams this year who haven't lost to unranked, supposedly lesser teams AND no juggernauts. We have proven we can win any type of game and can blow the doors off top 5 level teams! Let's start now with a repeat 11+ game winning streak and see what happens!

I don’t believe we need to do a lot of tinkering with rotations. Gain momentum by doing what we do best- defend, dictate tempo, work in to out, and rebound. Try to win out and go to Charlotte and don’t worry about who is in our bracket- to be the best, we have to beat the best. I do think that we potentially are good enough to win any tournament format we are in.

Defense is very concerning. In the 10 game win streak UNC kept 9 of the opponents under 70 (and the 10th got 70). Since then the ONLY time an opponent was held under 70 was game at UVa.

Play only the bench players in the ACC tournament. Heck, maybe just the managers. Ok to lose first game. Rest up and get ready for the National tournament and win it all this year!

(hey, if they can do it in the NFL and NBA, surely we can find a reason to rest everyone!)

Before I get cremated, it's a joke my friends.

Defense is very concerning. In the 10 game win streak UNC kept 9 of the opponents under 70 (and the 10th got 70). Since then the ONLY time an opponent was held under 70 was game at UVa.
Offense has been a bigger issue during the stretch you're talking about. Defense certainly hasn't been as good, but the offensive efficiency ranks 49th in the country. Defensive efficency ranks 30th.

Neither are nearly good enough for the vast majority of National Championship teams.

It's a very long season. I don't expect them to be able to maintain the same intensity in late February that they have in December.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT