ADVERTISEMENT

Applied for our visa to India

Oh God, please no! If you take up the slack in this department I will be forced to make not so subtle references to ghey sex.

I was being chick lol.
Damnit man! You and I just aren't clicking this morning. The part of my statement in bold was referring to you taking up the slack in chicks department.

Let's say you and I slow this thing down a little and see if this thing we once shared was real.

Damnit man! You and I just aren't clicking this morning. The part of my statement in bold was referring to you taking up the slack in chicks department.

Let's say you and I slow this thing down a little and see if this thing we once shared was real.
Take me to where our first date was so we can reconnect?

Reactions: UNC '92
Went to the Taj Mahal yesterday it was all I expected it to be. Took an elephant ride up to a temple in Jaipur. The place was crawling with monkeys. The country is split between Hindu and Muslin. All the locals I've met so far are really nice, they, like the rest of the world, are wondering who in the hell is running the US but that's another story. The country is very dirty and quite polluted both air and water. The funny thing is even the very poor seem to enjoy life. Saw a poor guy begging at the train station this morning who had elephantiasis. The poor man's feet were the size of a basketball. Will try to post again whenever I'm at a place with Internet service. This is the most connected poor country I've been to even the homeless street people have cell phones.

Reactions: Raising Heel
I LOL at India asking with disdain who's running our country when their country is mis-run worse than probably any other. India succeeds in spite of itself.
The whole world is concerned about what is going on in the US (good or bad) and that's a fact

The whole world is concerned about what is going on in the US (good or bad) and that's a fact
No that is not a fact, there are many people in many countries who could not care less. I speak with India (we have a data center and call center in Gurgaon) on an almost daily basis and have been for years. It's not brought up that often, but when it is, most I talk to are not at all unhappy with our country or question its leadership. Just a thought, but you are a tourist in areas where there are lots of poor and lower status folks working the elephants, taxis and things you have around you. These folks aren't always the best barometer for how India feels about America as a whole. It would be like denying half of America wasn't sick of The Obama/Clinton vision for the country.

Also, India is not split between Hinduism and Islam. Hindus make up about 80% of the country and Muslims less than 20%. Again, you may be thinking this because of where you are. The Taj Mahal was built by Muslims and there are likely a lot around that area, but they do not represent half of India's religious make-up.

Have a safe rest of your trip.

Reactions: UNC71-00
[QUOTE="UNC '92, post: 801611, member: 3414

Also, India is not split between Hinduism and Islam. Hindus make up about 80% of the country and Muslims less than 20%. Again, you may be thinking this because of where you are. The Taj Mahal was built by Muslims and there are likely a lot around that area, but they do not represent half of India's religious make-up.

Have a safe rest of your trip.[/QUOTE] Didn't mean to imply they were evenly split just that those are the top 2.

We are now in Varanasi on the Ganges river. Went to a prayer ceremony on the Ganges last night. That was something it is hard to describe the crowds here. There is a special section on the river where they take the people who died that day and build a big bonfire and cremate them. They keep the ashes and after 4 years they come back and spread the ashes in the river. Last night they had 8 bonfir s going. We hired a boat to take us out on the river to watch the prayer ceremony. Never seen anything like it.

I just got back from visiting two countries on the other side of the world, let's just saw it is a pretty awkward time to be abroad.

How are you getting from place to place? Bus, train, etc.? I'd be curious to hear about that experience. Do you see a lot of other tourists, and do you stand out?
We are taking mostly buses, planes, and trains but have hired 3 wheeled bikes and little 3 wheeled scooters are everywhere. You see a lot of tourist in the bigger cities not so much in the country

Last edited:
It is wild to me the juxtaposition between the @prlyles who lives in Elkin, doesn't have a cell phone, and who has never been to a Walmart with the @prlyles who's a world traveller connoisseur and is bushwhacking his way through rural India like something out of Heart of Darkness
I don't understand. What has not owning a cell phone and doing business with Walmart have to do with traveling? My wife and I have loved traveling for 30 years

I don't understand. What has not owning a cell phone and doing business with Walmart have to do with traveling? My wife and I have loved traveling for 30 years
Traveling gets you out of your comfort zone and allows you to see and hopefully appreciate how other people on this planet live. It really does give you a whole new look on this wonderful place we call earth

It wasn't a knock against you at all. It's just that the general perception (aka: stereotype) of someone who doesn't own a cell phone or shop at Walmart is that that person is a simpleton and thus wouldn't travel to Indian Trail, much less India.

It wasn't a knock against you at all. It's just that the general perception (aka: stereotype) of someone who doesn't own a cell phone or shop at Walmart is that that person is a simpleton and thus wouldn't travel to Indian Trail, much less India.

I'm on board with the cell phone stereotype, but the opppsite on the WalMart one. At least around here, WalMart is for the poors, and it'd be assumed that frequent shoppers there wouldn't have the money to travel.

I'm on board with the cell phone stereotype, but the opppsite on the WalMart one. At least around here, WalMart is for the poors, and it'd be assumed that frequent shoppers there wouldn't have the money to travel.
I don't understand why someone would not understand someone not wanting a cell phone. A cell phone is a tool and is one of man's greatest inventions but I ask myself "do I need this enough to justify carrying it around and taking care of it" and for me the answer is no. Now on the other hand, eyeglasss is a tool that I do think is worth the effort

Walmart on the other hand is a shithole and I don't like the company so why in hell would I do business with them?

That's your perception, and a good argument why you should expand your horizons.

You realize cell phone weren't even common 20 years ago, right? People still traveled.
I don't understand why someone would not understand someone not wanting a cell phone. A cell phone is a tool and is one of man's greatest inventions but I ask myself "do I need this enough to justify carrying it around and taking care of it" and for me the answer is no. Now on the other hand, eyeglasss is a tool that I do think is worth the effort

Walmart on the other hand is a shithole and I don't like the company so why in hell would I do business with them?

I've traveled in Asia pre & post smart phones.

I like to unplug, but the internet is an amazing tool. If you have plenty of time to chat with locals for a restaurant recommendation, bus schedule, pricing estimates for travel/accomodation/events, then great, but if not, wifi and your phone are a beautiful thing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT