ADVERTISEMENT

BEER?

yrusonvus

All-American
Oct 28, 2007
I've been out of the beer game for a little while, so what would the OOTB'ers suggest I should give a try. Name your top five choices w/ a couple of honorable mentions to steer me in the right direction.

Pabst Blue Ribbon is of course the alpha and omega of beers.

Just kidding. But we're going to need some more information here. What kinds of beers have you enjoyed in the past? Foreign/domestic/microbrew, pilsner/lager/ale/IPA/stout, etc.? If you're not sure what all that means just throw out some names of beers to get us started.

I guess I've been a bit scattered about....Corona, Red Stripe, Yuengling, Newcastle brown ale, and Killians Red

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
Green Man Rambler Spring Ale
Foothills Hoppyum IPA
Olde Hickory' Death By Hops or Redeemer
Catawba Brewing Firewater IPA
Howard Brewing's Action Man or Lake Fever Pale Ale

And of course any of my homebrews.

My favs:

Red Nectar - good anytime. Hoppy but malty as well. Out of northern Cali.
tumblr_lk4okxsWaQ1qax2so.jpg

Bell's Best Brown - Good for fall and winter

bells-best-brown-ale.jpg

Hell or High Watermelon - great refreshing summertime brew. I don't normally like wheat beer but this is pretty good.

2011-07-12-WatermelonAle.jpg

I,love wheat beers and the best of the best is lMO the most commercial

Blue Moon

Also try Optimal Wit from port City here in Alex Va terrific

Another good one is The LOVE from Starr Hill out of C' Ville Va

Cannot go wrong with Heineken even if it is not a wheat beer

Just had a Buckshot from Natty Greenes out of G Boro and finally try

Guinness Blonde American lager

Reactions: uncboy10
I like any beer, stout, pilsner, IPA, or whatever . . . chase it with a good Canadian whiskey and I'm good.

In the store I just buy what ever label or name looks cleaver. At restaurants I ask for a recommendation from the staff. Usually works out good for me. There are too many micro brews around here for me to stay on top it the beer scene

I've been out of the beer game for a little while, so what would the OOTB'ers suggest I should give a try. Name your top five choices w/ a couple of honorable mentions to steer me in the right direction.

I dont enjoy beers flavor. I enjoy sharing the buzz with friends doing the same though.

My top 5

Whatevers on sale
Whatever my wife wants
Whatever has the coolest tap handle
Whatever the guy i beat at darts/pool wants to buy for losing the bet
Whatever is at eye level at the scotchman cooler

This is damn good stuff. Sisters of the Moon IPA from Mother Earth Brewing in Kinston.

Try it and thank me later.

1_110474126_3.jpg

The Mother Earth beers are very good. Their brown ale is very good. Natty Green Southern Pale Ale, and Buckshot Amber are both nice. The Lagunitas IPA, and the Goose Island IPA's are top notch as well. DuClaw Sweet Baby Jesus Peanut Butter Porter is candy in a bottle. The Wicked Weed IPA's rock, especially the Freak Of Nature. Locally in Charlotte, Triple C and Sycamore always have a variety on tap, and they are all good. Smuttynose Finest Kind IPA is one of my faves.

Half of the beers recommended in this thread the OP probably can't purchase where he lives (unless it is common knowledge that he lives in N.C., and if that's the case, ignore this post). Come on guys :p

Locally in Charlotte, Triple C and Sycamore always have a variety on tap, and they are all good.
You can often find me at the Triple C Brewery on Thursday nights in the spring and summer. Boys night. We don't go as often anymore because our favorite food truck (Herban Legend) called it quits. Shame, because I have a huge crush on one of their bartenders. :p

Smuttynose Finest Kind IPA is one of my faves.
Yes! I had this years ago and loved it. Haven't been able to find it though. Where in Charlotte do you buy it?

I live in NC. Thanks for all the replies and I'm taking notes so keep the suggestions rolling.

Kind of OT but-

I really like the craft beers. I would say that I thoroughly enjoy 80% of all of the ones that I have tried. That said I have experienced a serious amount of douchebaggery of late related to craft beers.

There are guys that like craft beer and then there are...those guys. My father in law is one of "those guys." If he comes over to my house when some drinking needs to be done he brings whatever craft beer has the most abstract and random picture on it. When he brings it in the conversation must be directed to his beer as he carries it in an sets it no more than two feet from you and interjects it into the conversation. It usually goes like this:

"You ever had this before?"

"No."

'It is $15 per 4."

"OK"

It is really good. I drink it all of the time."(lie)

"Great."

"Here have one."

"In a bit. I have one already."

(sad face)"Just try it. Come on..(etc)"

(dammit said under the breath)"OK"

At this point I have to drink whatever overpriced beer he brought. Despite his claim of having "drank this all of the time" he never has. It is always the first time that I have seen him with this brand. Sometimes it is a foul, awful tasting concoction that is so musty that you feel that it was run through the armpit of a sweaty mountain gorilla before bottling. When this happens we both sip and I say "good" and he smiles and nods with a kind of pursed lip smile (this takes effort on his part, much to my amusement) because the beer sucks and we both know it.

He always reads the box before he comes over. This way he can say things about the beer that he has never tasted before he forces me to drink it and sound knowledgeable. This works well for him because many craft beers have some ridiculously pretentious story on how their name/brewery came about. They all run something like:

"We were cruising through Belarus on a bicycling tour of Eastern Europe. We were on an epic ride down Bellarus' second tallest peak, Gora Perekop, when I lost control driving both me and my partner into a large Oak tree. The tree had many, many scars. Later at a bar we were told that that tree was often the scene of crashes and was named Худы Харэ дуб which translates to "Skinny Hare Tree" since it seems to jump out in front of people. That is how Skinny Hare breweries was born. We have crafted a flavor that jumps out just as fast and hits just as hard as that tree in Belarus."

My father in law memorizes these asinine narratives and relates them to me every time I drink these things with him.

For the record it isn't the beer that makes him do this. He is the type of guy that buys a new shirt that is expensive just to corner you at some point to tell you how much it costs. When he is alone and is not trying to impress you with his beer selection he drinks Mich Ultra and Natty light....two beers world renowned for having a strong similarity to water in the flavor department.

On the bright side, I am always left with two of the 4 pack that he brings over ...which I get to parade out on occasion like daddy Warbucks and claim to have just bought them while forcing this swamp water on unwilling beer drinkers.

If I have to suffer it will not be alone.

/TLDR.

/rant

Last edited:
You can often find me at the Triple C Brewery on Thursday nights in the spring and summer. Boys night. We don't go as often anymore because our favorite food truck (Herban Legend) called it quits. Shame, because I have a huge crush on one of their bartenders. :p

Yes! I had this years ago and loved it. Haven't been able to find it though. Where in Charlotte do you buy it?

I bet I know which bartender you refer to. Especially fine from behind.
I love the Space Cadet Black IPA there. And the Babymaker IPA is a killer! Aptly named.
But I've gotten to like Sycamore better, and my band has played there a couple times too. Best patio in Charlotte.

I get the Smuttynose at Total Wine on Park Road.

Kind of OT but-

I really like the craft beers. I would say that I thoroughly enjoy 80% of all of the ones that I have tried. That said I have experienced a serious amount of douchebaggery of late related to craft beers.

There are guys that like craft beer and then there are...those guys. My father in law is one of "those guys." If he comes over to my house and some drinking will be done he brings whatever craft beer has the most abstract and random picture on it. When he brings it in the conversation must be directed to his beer as he carries it in an sets it no more than two feet from you and interjects it into the conversation. It usually goes like this:

"No."

'It is $15 per 4."

"OK"

"Great."

"Here have one."

At this point I have to drink whatever overpriced beer he brought. Despite his claim of having "drank this all of the time" he never has. It is always the first time that I have seen him with this brand. Sometimes it is a foul awful tasting concoction that is so musty that you feel that it was run through the armpit of a sweaty mountain gorilla before bottling. When this happens we both sip and I say "good" and he smiles and nods with a kind of pursed lip smile (this takes effort on his part, much to my amusement) because the beer sucks and we both know it.

He always reads the box before he comes. This way he can say things about the beer that he has never tasted before he forces me to drink it and sound knowledgeable. This works well for him because many craft beers have some ridiculous pretentious story on how their name/brewery came about. They all run something like:

"We were cruising through Belarus on a bicycling tour of Eastern Europe. We were on an epic ride down Bellarus' second tallest peak, Gora Perekop, when I lost control driving both me and my partner into a large Oak tree. The tree had many, many scars. Later at a bar we were told that that tree was often the scene of crashes and was named Худы Харэ дуб which translates to "Skinny Hare Tree" since it seems to jump out in front of people. That is how Skinny Hare breweries was born. We have crafted a flavor that jumps out just as fast and hits just as hard as that tree in Belarus."

Mt father in law memorizes these asinine narratives and relates them to me...60% of the time, every time I drink these things with him.

For the record it isn't the beer that makes him do this. He is the type of guy that buys a new shirt that is expensive just to corner you at some point to tell you how much it cost. When he is alone and is not trying to impress with his beer selection he drinks....Mich Ultra and Natty light. Two beers world renowned for their flavoring having a strong similarity to water.

On the plus side, I am always left with two of the 4 pack that he brings over ...which I get to parade out on separate occasions and claim to have bought and force on unwilling beer drinkers. If I have to suffer it will not be alone.

/TLDR.
This is one of the most finely-crafted rants I've read in a while. You even included special characters from another alphabet.

I know the kind of guys you're talking about. They're insufferable. You need to have a talk with your dad, maybe even an intervention. He must be stopped.

Reactions: JHVS
I bet I know which bartender you refer to. Especially fine from behind.
I bet you're right. ;)

Yeah, I love the black IPA too. The Babymaker is good but not my favorite. Strangely enough, a buddy of mine who doesn't like IPAs loves it. Go figure.

Thanks for the tip. It was only recently I realized that Total Wine has a really good beer selection. I'll check it out.

This is one of the most finely-crafted rants I've read in a while. You even included special characters from another alphabet.

I know the kind of guys you're talking about. They're insufferable. You need to have a talk with your dad, maybe even an intervention. He must be stopped.

He is my father in law. For the record he is a really great guy. Would do anything for you. His only major flaw is this one. Half of all conversations with him start like this:

F in Law: "I just bought a new (dog, lawnmower, grill, camper, camper, shirt, beer, golf club, etc, etc).

Me: (I say nothing for a while just nod and smile. I enjoy the awkward space while he is dying to tell me. He really wants me to ask but I am not encouraging this behavior. Since he is staring at me I will finally say...). Great.

F in Law: "It has (tons of features, catches, awards won, etc, etc). It is the best one that there is.

Me: (longer awkward silence than before; then...) Great.

F in Law: (At this point he always cracks.) Guess how much it cost.

Me: A lot?

F in Law: (Gloating) $$$$$$

Me: Great.

I bet you're right. ;)

Yeah, I love the black IPA too. The Babymaker is good but not my favorite. Strangely enough, a buddy of mine who doesn't like IPAs loves it. Go figure.

Thanks for the tip. It was only recently I realized that Total Wine has a really good beer selection. I'll check it out.

So are you getting anywhere with that crush?

Kind of OT but-

There are guys that like craft beer and then there are...those guys. My father in law is one of "those guys." If he comes over to my house and some drinking will be done he brings whatever craft beer has the most abstract and random picture on it. When he brings it in the conversation must be directed to his beer as he carries it in an sets it no more than two feet from you and interjects it into the conversation. It usually goes like this:

"No."

'It is $15 per 4."

"OK"

"Great."

"Here have one."

At this point I have to drink whatever overpriced beer he brought. Despite his claim of having "drank this all of the time" he never has. It is always the first time that I have seen him with this brand. Sometimes it is a foul awful tasting concoction that is so musty that you feel that it was run through the armpit of a sweaty mountain gorilla before bottling. When this happens we both sip and I say "good" and he smiles and nods with a kind of pursed lip smile (this takes effort on his part, much to my amusement) because the beer sucks and we both know it.

He always reads the box before he comes over. This way he can say things about the beer that he has never tasted before he forces me to drink it and sound knowledgeable. This works well for him because many craft beers have some ridiculously pretentious story on how their name/brewery came about. They all run something like:

Mt father in law memorizes these asinine narratives and relates them to me every time I drink these things with him.

For the record it isn't the beer that makes him do this. He is the type of guy that buys a new shirt that is expensive just to corner you at some point to tell you how much it cost. When he is alone and is not trying to impress with his beer selection he drinks Mich Ultra and Natty light....two beers world renowned for their flavoring having a strong similarity to water.

On the plus side, I am always left with two of the 4 pack that he brings over ...which I get to parade out on separate occasions like daddy Warbucks and claim to have just bought and force on unwilling beer drinkers.

If I have to suffer it will not be alone.

/TLDR.

/rant

tumblr_n8pqd5Dsmt1rv5j9yo1_400.gif

Where the hell did you come from anyways and why did it take you so long to start posting here?

You guys need to try The Grey Lady by Cisco Brewers. Best beer I've ever had, hands down

images

Reactions: JHVS
I,love wheat beers and the best of the best is lMO the most commercial

Blue Moon

Also try Optimal Wit from port City here in Alex Va terrific

Another good one is The LOVE from Starr Hill out of C' Ville Va

Cannot go wrong with Heineken even if it is not a wheat beer

Just had a Buckshot from Natty Greenes out of G Boro and finally try

Guinness Blonde American lager

Hey, Key, I am from Alexandria. How long have you lived there?

- AJ

Tried a Boondocks Brewing (West Jefferson, NC) Belgian IPA over the weekend. It was a right tasty brew. Heading to Sierra Nevada in Mills River on the 24th for a tour and tasting. Hope to hit Wicked Weed as well.

Andrew

I actually live in Ashburn I am a native Washingtonian ...yeah a rare breed and have really gotten into craft beers the last few years

Optimal Wit is just superb and I just got another six last week

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT