tarheelinfl

Hall of Famer
Nov 5, 2002
I'll start with three:
1. Commander Cody and his Lost Planet Airmen
2. The Flying Burrito Brothers
3. Cat Mother and the All Nite Newsboys

I'll second the FBB

I wanna include the best album COVER that coincides with the single-name band/album concept:

OC00NzM1LmpwZWc.jpeg

cf4ac941-16db-514c-8ac7-bdd11123b773.jpg

Ni04MTYwLmpwZWc.jpeg

Reactions: Heelicious
The Band
The Who
Umphrey's McGee
Drive By Truckers
Talking Heads
Grateful Dead

(dis)Honorable Mention:
Butthole Surfers

Steely Dan
Flogging Molly
The Dropkick Murphys
She Wants Revenge
Average White Band
Southern Culture on the Skids
Dead Can Dance
Black Sabbath
Eagles of Death Metal
Queens of the Stone Age

Last edited:
Reactions: tarheelinfl
Shout out to two rappers here. Their names are acronyms so the name itself isn’t that great but what it stands for was pretty badass.

KRS-One
Knowledge Reigns Supreme -over nearly everyone

GURU
Gifted Unlimited Rhymes Universal

Steely Dan
Flogging Molly
The Dropkick Murphys
She Wants Revenge
Average White Band
Southern Culture on the Skids
Dead Can Dance
Black Sabbath
Eagles of Death Metal
Queens of the Stone Age
SCOTS are good people!

They have two of the corniest but catchiest songs ever...Day by Day and And We Danced.

I had forgotten about them. As often as I watch 80s movies, I can't believe I hadn't heard either of those songs in a while. I immediately went to Youtube and listened to them. Greatly enjoyed it. Thanks for that.

I had forgotten about them. As often as I watch 80s movies, I can't believe I hadn't heard either of those songs in a while. I immediately went to Youtube and listened to them. Greatly enjoyed it. Thanks for that.
I can't believe John Hughes made all those movies in the 80s where they would have fit perfectly and never included one of those songs.

Reactions: gunslingerdick
No... SCOTS is a colloquialism around the piedmont NC area when referring to Southern Culture On The Skids. Rick Miller is good people.
thanks for clarifying, I thought the remark was fairly random. But not necessarily inaccurate either.

I've never seen them but always wanted to. I love their crazy music but it isn't really sitting around and listening kind of music, it's see them live in a small venue kind of stuff.

thanks for clarifying, I thought the remark was fairly random. But not necessarily inaccurate either.

I've never seen them but always wanted to. I love their crazy music but it isn't really sitting around and listening kind of music, it's see them live in a small venue kind of stuff.
I saw them several times back when I lived in Charlotte, in the 90s. A buddy of mine in China Grove is close friends with Rick, the guitarist.

Reactions: bluetoe
some of these came through here while i was in school right before the hootie s storm.

helmet
corrosion of conformity
monster magnet
sex police
col bruce & the aquarium rescue unit
faith no more

I feel like this thread is unintentionally punishing those solo artists who weren't born with cool names. Thus, since the thread title included names of albums, I'm gonna throw out one from one of favorite artists, James Taylor:

Mud Slide Slim and the Blue Horizon

I feel like this thread is unintentionally punishing those solo artists who weren't born with cool names. Thus, since the thread title included names of albums, I'm gonna throw out one from one of favorite artists, James Taylor:

Mud Slide Slim and the Blue Horizon
I'll help with the solo artists and add Ziggy Stardust to the list.

Since Ziggy technically wasn't considered a solo artist, because you have to include the spiders, here's some more solo guys:

Meat Loaf
Snoop Doggy Dogg
The Artist Formally Known as Prince

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT