ADVERTISEMENT

Boxing thread

gunslingerdick

Hall of Famer
Feb 16, 2006
warning - tl;dr

As a boxing enthusiast, I know I'm a rare breed. I know @chickenhunter and @gteeitup follow the sweet science a little bit. This year has already been an interesting one and there are some big fights coming up. We can use this thread to discuss anything about boxing and outside of the Mayweather/McGregor fight, I hope we can leave that MMA garbage at the door.

Sooo,...while I would love for somebody - anybody - to bust Money's ass, I feel like McGregor will lose every round. I'm not sure he'll be able to land anything significant on Floyd. Even at 40, I expect Floyd's defense to still be top notch. He might have the best defense of any boxer I've ever watched and I've been a fan since 6th grade when I watched Hagler (my favorite fighter of all time) get robbed by Ray Leonard. Any predictions on the Mayweather vs McGregor fight? I'll say unanimous decision for Money. I think he'll win every round and may even win one or two 10-8. But I have great respect for McGregor as a shit talker and for his willingness to move away from MMA and fight one of the greatest on his terms. I'm sure the pay day has a lot to do with that because as Floyd often reminds everyone, McGregor has never had a pay day like he'll receive for stepping in the ring with Floyd. But regardless, to put your rep on the line against an undefeated and one of the best fighters ever shows some serious balls. (Aug 26 PPV)

Did anyone watch the ESPN coverage of Manny's most recent fight against Jeff Horn? What a joke that was. I know, I know...some independent review has confirmed the outcome but if you watched the fight, you know Manny won that fight. He consistently landed the bigger and cleaner shots. Horn was almost unable to continue after Manny destroyed him in the 9th. And Horn never hurt Manny throughout the entire fight. Horn has a terrible style as well - he basically just bumrushes the opponent and tries to overwhelm him. It made for entertainment though as Manny battered him repeatedly when he tried to get close. Teddy Atlas went bonkers over the decision - he seemed genuinely pissed. I liked listening to Atlas during the fight. I thought ESPN did an admirable job throughout the broadcast. I love HBO's productions (Max Kellerman is fantastic and Roy Jones has gotten much better), but I hope ESPN is able to get into the fight game. Anyway, I won't cry for Manny. He's been cheated before and has always handled his career with class. On a related note about ESPN, Terence Crawford (my current favorite - lightweight/light welter) is schedule to fight on ESPN on August 19. He will be attempting to separate himself from the rest of the pack. He's a fun boxer to watch because he switches from orthodox to southpaw repeatedly throughout fights and has a sinister personality where he enjoys hurting his opponents.

Another great fight that's set is between 2 of the world's top P4P guys in GGG and Canelo Alvarez. Fans have wanted this fight for a while (typical boxing - always giving the fans the fight they want way too late). And over the past several years when they've talked about this fight, I always thought Golovkin would smash him. But I've watched Alvarez fight more and Golovkin didn't look great in his last two fights so I might like Canelo to win. Right now, GGG is a modest favorite at -170. Fight will happen Sept 16, PPV.

Enough for now but I hope to bump this thread when there's something good to discuss.

Reactions: gteeitup
Mayweather is going to beat him like a drum. I'm not sure McGregor can hit Mayweather at all. Full-time, professional boxers have tried to beat the man 49 times and everyone of them lost. I don't know if he has the power to knock McGregor out anymore but the fight will last as long as Mayweather wants it to.

I was boxing up some recycling to put out by the curb at my sister's house because they had too much to fit in their bins after missing a pickup. We had probably six or seven random boxes filled up in addition to the two bins. Their recycling only gets picked up every other week, and they had missed one, so it was basically a month's worth. The first box I carried outside toward the street, I got about three steps outside the door and the bottom fell out. Recyclables everywhere. Cans rolled up under the cars so you had to lie down in the driveway to reach them. Had to go find yet another random box and pick it all up all over again. Maybe they won't want my help with the boxing next time.

I was boxing up some recycling to put out by the curb at my sister's house because they had too much to fit in their bins after missing a pickup. We had probably six or seven random boxes filled up in addition to the two bins. Their recycling only gets picked up every other week, and they had missed one, so it was basically a month's worth. The first box I carried outside toward the street, I got about three steps outside the door and the bottom fell out. Recyclables everywhere. Cans rolled up under the cars so you had to lie down in the driveway to reach them. Had to go find yet another random box and pick it all up all over again. Maybe they won't want my help with the boxing next time.
five-stars.png

I gave up on the sport of boxing after that infamous 'No mas' fight . . might catch the occasional Olympic boxing match, but, that's about it.

mayweather is going to teach him many lessons...simply put, for 35 years he's faced boxers...for 25 years he's faced elite boxers that do it for a living.

i was really disappointed in kovalev...my god, he got outclassed, again.

looking forward to ggg vs alvarez

I promised myself I'd never spend another dime on a PPV boxing match after the Mayweather-Pacquiao Ballet a couple years ago. But against my better judgment I'll probably watch this one too.

However, the intrigue of the event itself won't be enough to capture my interest, so I'll have to take a financial stake in something to draw me in. For personal enjoyment, I'd like to see Mayweather get knocked the F out - but that's a long shot. The most likely outcome is obviously a Mayweather decision. Then a distant second would be McGregor by KO, and then almost 0 chance of Mayweather by KO, and absolutely 0 chance of a McGregor decision.

Since we all know boxing is a fixed sport - the tough part is figuring out what they're going to want, and bet on that. We know Mayweather is calling all the shots here, so we need to look at it from his perspective. He probably really wants to go 50-0 and re-retire undefeated and hold on to his legacy. But they call him "Money" for a reason, he also loves a payday, and he could get two gigantic future paydays if he loses this and they set up a trilogy, and he can easily win the next two - if he throws this fight. If he does let McGregor "knock him out" it'll be real late in the fight after he's tooled on him a bit, and if he wins it'll almost assuredly be by decision, so I think the Hark Lock here is Over 9.5 Rounds (+140).

Reactions: uncboy10
Since they're already changing tradition/rules by having a boxer fight an MMA guy anyways, I think they could have made this thing a hell of a lot more compelling by scrapping the decisions. Make it a fight to the KO. That'd make it more even, and would prevent Mayweather from getting a couple jabs in and dancing around like we all know is going to happen.

i was really disappointed in kovalev...my god, he got outclassed, again.

What?!! Krusher won the first fight. Period. That was robbery. Ward was better in the second fight but I still had Kovalev ahead when Ward got that weak TKO. That was too quick of a stoppage especially considering Ward had hit him with multiple low blows the whole fight and just before the TKO. I still think Kovalev is the better fighter of the two.

Since they're already changing tradition/rules by having a boxer fight an MMA guy anyways, I think they could have made this thing a hell of a lot more compelling by scrapping the decisions. Make it a fight to the KO. That'd make it more even, and would prevent Mayweather from getting a couple jabs in and dancing around like we all know is going to happen.

Mayweather is hard to like. I get it. But I personally don't degrade him because of his style of boxing. It's boxing. These guys aren't in tough man competitions. There's something to be said about a guy that simply refuses to be hit. It's a skill. And he's the best I've ever seen. It often can make for boring matches but you have to respect the fact that Money has made a living in a brutal sport and looks no worse for the wear after 49 fights. Impressive.

Mayweather is hard to like. I get it. But I personally don't degrade him because of his style of boxing. It's boxing. These guys aren't in tough man competitions. There's something to be said about a guy that simply refuses to be hit. It's a skill. And he's the best I've ever seen. It often can make for boring matches but you have to respect the fact that Money has made a living in a brutal sport and looks no worse for the wear after 49 fights. Impressive.

It's an impressive skill for sure, it's just not all that compelling - which is why boxing is dying. People want to see a fight - and the vast majority, the non-boxing purists, consider that to be something where haymakers are landed, and there's really no doubt about who the winner was because one of them is still laying on the mat. It's not as interesting to the casual observer if one guy lands 250 jabs and the other guy lands 235 jabs, and we need 3 [corrupt] judges to tell us who did better. I know you don't want to turn this into an MMA thread, but I think that's where they're taking market share - because their fights are quicker, more brutal, and more decisive.

I wish they could've alternated rounds...first round boxing, 2nd mma, etc. Or heck go 2 rounds boxing, 1 round mma. That means Floyd has to go for the KO

I really enjoy boxing though don't follow it like I do many other sports. My brother is nuts about it though. He follows it like I do college basketball. He is on the message boards and watches it at every level, keeps up with all the different belts (as BS as some of them are), etc...

Floyd is a fool but he is awesome to watch. I love seeing him fight. He takes a few rounds and then just dominates whoever he fights. I know he isn't always 'exciting' but man is he good. He is going to destroy McGregor. I can't stand him as a person but just love to watch him fight.

I only saw bits and pieces of the Manny fight but yeah, he got screwed. Boxing is so shady though and they don't seem interested in cleaning it up.

What?!! Krusher won the first fight. Period. That was robbery. Ward was better in the second fight but I still had Kovalev ahead when Ward got that weak TKO. That was too quick of a stoppage especially considering Ward had hit him with multiple low blows the whole fight and just before the TKO. I still think Kovalev is the better fighter of the two.

thought kovalev was better going into both fights...i was wrong based on exactly what ward did to affect kovalev.

The only excitement in this fight will be the anticipation of McGregor getting pummeled so badly, he resorts to basic instinct and does a wheelhouse kick to Mayweathers head.

McGregor would INSTANTLY be the most loved fighter on the planet.

Geezus, I wish that would happen.

UFC and boxing jumped the shark tank a while back but this travesty takes both to a whole new low. The sweet science of boxing and the strength and discipline of martial arts represented by two flaming fktards. I imagine the fix is in to extend it a few rds for the ad revenue and possibility of a rematch.

I grew up a huge boxing fan and used to watch and record every boxing match I could find on TV or payperview.

That was until it became painfully obvious that fights were rigged and organized crime and gambling had destroyed the sport. There are very few honest bouts. The judges are rigged,etc.

So I have little to no I interest now a days.

Boxing screwed the pooch and let MMA steal their opportunity.

Reactions: Grayhead
I grew up a huge boxing fan and used to watch and record every boxing match I could find on TV or payperview.

That was until it became painfully obvious that fights were rigged and organized crime and gambling had destroyed the sport. There are very few honest bouts. The judges are rigged,etc.

No doubt at all. Just look at the Pacquiao- Horn decision a few weeks ago. Absolutely horrible.

Reactions: Louigi
does everyone think this is really going to happen?...i don't know, guess i'm waiting on something.

Last edited:
I would absolutely lose my mind if McGregor does a round-house kick to Mayweathers skull. Please, oh please, let that happen. PLEASE!!!

It's an impressive skill for sure, it's just not all that compelling - which is why boxing is dying. People want to see a fight - and the vast majority, the non-boxing purists, consider that to be something where haymakers are landed, and there's really no doubt about who the winner was because one of them is still laying on the mat. It's not as interesting to the casual observer if one guy lands 250 jabs and the other guy lands 235 jabs, and we need 3 [corrupt] judges to tell us who did better. I know you don't want to turn this into an MMA thread, but I think that's where they're taking market share - because their fights are quicker, more brutal, and more decisive.
Exactly. This is why boxing is dying, plus two more reasons:

1. Lack of white boxers. (Racist alert!!11!!). But seriously, that's one reason why
2. Lack of easy availability. No one wants to pay for PPV events in 2017.

Exactly. This is why boxing is dying, plus two more reasons:

1. Lack of white boxers. (Racist alert!!11!!). But seriously, that's one reason why
2. Lack of easy availability. No one wants to pay for PPV events in 2017.

I already disagreed with @Hark_The_Sound_2010 about Mayweather's style. That's why boxing is boxing and not MMA. You score points in boxing. Boxing matches aren't toughman competitions. I greatly respect defense in a boxing match.

As for your two points, ESPN is starting to cover more boxing. Just last weekend, Terence Crawford (who I think is the best P4P fighter in the world) fought on ESPN and it was an entertaining, albeit short, match. ESPN's coverage is decent. In addition, HBO broadcast many live fights. They aren't going to be the super fights but frankly, more times than not, the super fights disappoint. The best matches are usually with less heralded guys. Granted, one has to be more of an enthusiast to follow the up-and-comers but if you buy in, you'll be rewarded with a lot of good fights.

There are plenty of white fighters. Had you said "white, American fighters, I would agree. But there are tons of Euros in all different weight classes.

I wish they could've alternated rounds...first round boxing, 2nd mma, etc. Or heck go 2 rounds boxing, 1 round mma. That means Floyd has to go for the KO

That wouldn't be a fight at all. Connor can step into Floyd's world, maybe land a few punches or even really get lucky. He's not beating him in a boxing match, but he at least has a "puncher's chance." Floyd would be dead in ten seconds in the octagon if Connor went to his ass.

The only excitement in this fight will be the anticipation of McGregor getting pummeled so badly, he resorts to basic instinct and does a wheelhouse kick to Mayweathers head.

McGregor would INSTANTLY be the most loved fighter on the planet.

Geezus, I wish that would happen.

I would absolutely lose my mind if McGregor does a round-house kick to Mayweathers skull. Please, oh please, let that happen. PLEASE!!!

Probably, but I read that there is a specific clause in McGregor's contract where he surrenders 95% or 99% of his purse if he is disqualified for a kick or any other MMA move that would be illegal. So there's no chance of that happening, even if things start getting ugly.

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
I'm not a huge boxing fan but some of the discussion about McGregor's style and training has been intriguing to me. Supposedly his approach will be so unorthodox that it will make him harder to predict. But I have a hard time believing he could put together any kind of effective game plan in this period of time that Floyd wouldn't be able to counter effectively. His ability to read fighters and adapt is insane.

Surely he'll Bernard Hopkins the $hit out of Floyd and tie him up and hit him as many times as he can get away with.

Reactions: chickenhunter
McGregor will be hard pressed to land a solid punch on Floyd. When the bout was first set up, I had Floyd winning every round as it would be a unanimous decision. But now that they've switched to lighter gloves, I think there's a real chance that Floyd knocks him out. Plus, with all the shit talking that McGregor's been doing, I think there might be a little extra incentive for Floyd.

My fantasy football draft is Sat night at my buddy's lake house. We'll tune in after our draft. I'm looking forward to watching the spectacle even though I don't see it being an entertaining fight.

I'm pulling for McGregor.

I'm torn. For a long time, I have wanted someone (ANYONE!) to knock Floyd's dick in the dirt. But over the past few years, I've really come to respect the guy for being a master of his craft. Plus, seeing Floyd get to 50-0 does kind of intrigue me. And as I've stated previously in this thread, I'm an MMA hater and wish it would just go away. But I kind of like McGregor's brash attitude (in most sports, I hate it but it fits in boxing and therefore I'm ok with it).

Reactions: chickenhunter
Up until a few days ago, 85% of the action has been on McGregor. Bookmakers expect the Mayweather bets to come in today and tomorrow.

Up until a few days ago, 85% of the action has been on McGregor. Bookmakers expect the Mayweather bets to come in today and tomorrow.

One of the Vegas guys who is on the radio here says that despite the heavy action being on McGregor the money is heavily biased towards Mayweather. That isn't all that surprising though as the people with the big money are playing the almost sure thing and the everyday lotto better is putting 50 or so on McGregor.

One of the Vegas guys who is on the radio here says that despite the heavy action being on McGregor the money is heavily biased towards Mayweather. That isn't all that surprising though as the people with the big money are playing the almost sure thing and the everyday lotto better is putting 50 or so on McGregor.
The average bet is pretty one sided towards Mayweather. $212 to $8,036.

http://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/i...loyd-mayweather-ahead-conor-mcgregor-showdown

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010

Right. Professional bettors wait until late to place their bets so things will even out. I think it was the MGM that, at the time I read this, they stood to lose a few million if McGregor won and only would make about $100k if Floyd won. That's not at all how bookmakers want it. But they were still confident the Mayweather money would come in.

I'd love to bet on FM but at 1 to 5 ... no way. I'm gonna go UNDER 8.5 rounds instead.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT