ADVERTISEMENT

Britt Game?

nothing in particular, a little bit of everything, the more experience he gets the better he'll become.

His lateral movement on defense has to improve, if he is unable to stay in front of his man, his oncourt minutes are going to dwindle.

Last edited:
My biggest concern with Britt is often he will race up the court and as soon as he get over half court slows down to a different gear which allows the defense to set up. Also like Paige he hardly ever considers going to the hole. Since he is the best free throw shooter on the team getting trips to the line would really help the team.

Defense and being more aggressive out there. I feel we will see improvement in both of those areas this season.

My biggest concern with Britt is often he will race up the court and as soon as he get over half court slows down to a different gear which allows the defense to set up. Also like Paige he hardly ever considers going to the hole. Since he is the best free throw shooter on the team getting trips to the line would really help the team.

Which is what kinda gets to me when folk talk about him being our fastest guy with the ball in his hands, it doesn't help ya much if you are the fastest across half court only to slow down to allow everyone else to catch up.

As for what he needs to work on, a lot IMO but on top of the stack is strength. He is a little fella to begin with but a little fella that is not physically strong and does not move laterally all that well is a bad combination on the defensive end. Getting physically stronger would really help him hold position better.

Now I do believe Britt improved a couple problem areas from frosh to soph season, he of course shot the ball MUCH better but less noticed to most was IMO he was much tighter with his ball handles. Many times as a frosh he would go one way and the ball would go another, he was not nearly as easy to get the steal from last season.

But I am really concerned with him as a defender, for now I see him as a defensive liability and in more ways than just physical limitation, I don't see a ton of want to on the defensive end. The problem with that IMO is the way we defend, if one guy does not keep his man in front of him then it forces the rest to help defend and that leaves someone able to rotate in to a wide open easy look on us. Nate's guy was far to often the one forcing us in to help mode.

The other area that really concerns me is court vision for a PG, you don't be as quick with the ball up to the half court line only to as often pull it back and not have me question your ability to view the court. While he has developed a some what dependable jump shot and has become really solid at the free throw line, it would be really helpful if he forced the action a little bit and drove to the basket more on those break aways, make that improvement at the free throw line pay off more by drawing fouls if he doesn't finish, can't do that if he pulls the ball back out and resets. Physical strength would help him more dive in there but does he have the attacking mindset to allow him to see the opportunity and then make it pay off?

Ball security, awareness, court vision. Britt seems to have to work so hard just to maintain possession against quality opponents that he can't begin to look to attack the defense, often turning his back to the basket.

i guess the intention of the original poster was constructive criticism, but this laundry list of britt's weaknesses is reading like a dissing frenzy. the guy was not a top 20 recruit, or a top 40, he was #90 which i think was a valid assessment, if you keep that in mind he's coming along fine. britt has improved a lot and will continue to improve. i really don't think the kid needs all this negativism. how about a thread exploring his strengths, such as the guts to switch his shooting hand which resulted in clear improvement? what's with you people?

Reactions: BillyL
i guess the intention of the original poster was constructive criticism, but this laundry list of britt's weaknesses is reading like a dissing frenzy. the guy was not a top 20 recruit, or a top 40, he was #90 which i think was a valid assessment, if you keep that in mind he's coming along fine. britt has improved a lot and will continue to improve. i really don't think the kid needs all this negativism. how about a thread exploring his strengths, such as the guts to switch his shooting hand which resulted in clear improvement? what's with you people?
He was a top 5 recruit before his injury.

Defense, toughness, quickness, burst, awareness, height.

I haven't seen anyone dissing, most posts have been pretty fair without throwing the kid under the bus.
OP asked what areas of his game need work to get better. Nate has plenty (along with most players his age)
I think there's a difference between pointing out areas needed to improve and slamming a kid. That stuff is usually saved for the game threads and after a loss (never a good time to visit)

I haven't seen anyone dissing, most posts have been pretty fair without throwing the kid under the bus.
OP asked what areas of his game need work to get better. Nate has plenty (along with most players his age)
I think there's a difference between pointing out areas needed to improve and slamming a kid. That stuff is usually saved for the game threads and after a loss (never a good time to visit)

I agree. Nate has several areas which need improvement if he's going to maintain his PT because I think Joel is coming on. I would assume Nate is well aware of this. Of course, I thought JP was aware of the same thing regarding his game.

If Britt can knock down shots at the rate he did last year and if he can limit turnovers, that will be enough for the team. Because we're all expecting Berry to make a big jump this season. That means less time for Britt. Personally, because Britt is such an outstanding FT shooter, I think Roy should tell him we're going to use him in a "closer" type of role. Most of his minutes will come at the end of halves or games. But like I said, he'll have to be more sure-handed with the ball for that to work.

I believe the answers to the OP were in keeping with what he asked for input on, he asked what Britt's weakness are? Do you DISAGREE with any of the weaknesses addressed in this thread? Hey, if you want to chip in with some strengths feel free, I credited him for improved jump shooting and being solid at the free throw line. But to say it takes "guts" to change hands on your jump shot confuses me, if it ain't dropping then you have to change something. It does not take guts, it takes getting comfortable with what ever hand you feel best shooting with.

Guts is driving in among the trees and taking contact to get the foul or finish or both, now that takes some guts for a little fella to do. You want to see guts, watch Marcus Paige play on 2 bad feet, watch Pinson chase his man around on defense with a broken bone in his foot, that is guts, not switching hands on your jump shot...

Besides, Nate was just a pick up of little concern after he finished Oak Hill with an NC and most of his team mates and he were all recruited to play NCAA ball.

IMO, he just needs to continue to learn and grow with his team. As a poster mentioned above, when he is flying down court sometimes he needs to go ahead and take it to the rim, defense be damned, other times he should pull it back set up the secondary and go to work.

IMO, Nate will be very much improved this season.

I believe the answers to the OP were in keeping with what he asked for input on, he asked what Britt's weakness are? Do you DISAGREE with any of the weaknesses addressed in this thread? Hey, if you want to chip in with some strengths feel free, I credited him for improved jump shooting and being solid at the free throw line. But to say it takes "guts" to change hands on your jump shot confuses me, if it ain't dropping then you have to change something. It does not take guts, it takes getting comfortable with what ever hand you feel best shooting with.

Guts is driving in among the trees and taking contact to get the foul or finish or both, now that takes some guts for a little fella to do. You want to see guts, watch Marcus Paige play on 2 bad feet, watch Pinson chase his man around on defense with a broken bone in his foot, that is guts, not switching hands on your jump shot...
Right on all counts. Here are my thoughts:
Nate has 3 big issues --- 2 that can be improved by work and 1 that unfortunately, probably can't.
1. ON-BALL DEFENSE - Nate is a kid who got by in HS because of his quicks and hands. In college he needs to learn to move his feet and "beat his man to the spot". He'll always struggle to some extent vs stouter guards, but play D with your feet and make the driver hafta charge to beat you. Watch your teammate Berry. That's how it's done.
2. STOP "POUNDING THE BALL" - Another bad habit from HS, Nate's first instinct is to dribble, and then dribble some more. That is death in the Carolina system. It absolutely kills the Secondary Break (see Larry Drew) which is the lynch pin of our offense and mucks up the half court Passing Game. Dribble only to set up a passing angle or a shot, not as a default. Don't let the ball "stick to your hands" (see Tokoto).
Now... Nate can work and get better at the first 2 --- this last one worries me most:
3. UNDERSTAND THE FLOOR - Basketball (especially Carolina basketball) is about geometry. Being able to see that on the floor is vital for a PG. Nate has still not learned to "make the pass that leads to the pass", or to swing the ball without dribbling, or to not turn your back on the defense, or not to take the ball into PG "no-man's land". While some of this can be corrected. much of it comes down to instinct, and that IMO is his biggest weakness. So much so that (with his improved shot) he is more effective off the ball than running Point... and honestly that's where I hope he gets most of his minutes. If Roy goes to 3 guards late in a game for example, JB still needs to control the rock.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT