ADVERTISEMENT

Bryan Platt: the back judge who threw the flag

Hate it, but I'm really struggling to find my better side and fight off thoughts of enjoying the idea of Platt suffering a terrible, cruel fate. What he did last night was NOT an "error" occurring in a mass of bodies. Last night was a pre-determined decision to protect a desired outcome. Whether he did it for personal gain or as part of a league/CFP larger consortium doesn't really matter. Platt proved himself to be a crooked SOB. F him.

Platt, Holden Thorp, Dan Kane. What I'm visualizing as their fates is really ugly, and I'm trying to invoke better thoughts. So far, I'm failing.

Why would the BACK Judge be in position to even have a clue about a defender "breaking the plane" to be offsides? Isn't he aligned behind the kicking formation, as those guys will be on defense once the kick is received? I assumed that the line and side judges would be the guys in position to make such calls?

And what precisely constitutes "breaking the plane" in this type of situation? There's no football in anyone's possession for the "ball breaking the plane" to apply. So, is it a step over the line, or an outstretched hand from a sprinting runner leaning forward in full stride "piercing" this nebulous "plane" in some referee's mind?? Given the speed of the play and the necessity to eyeball both the kicker and the defenders simultaneously, seems to me that it SHOULD involve a defender actually bodily crossing the 35 in some manner?

Incidentally, if the responsible party was actually the man named above, and Google didn't mislead me, FWIW he is a long time official, who actually worked the 2011 BCS Championship game.

AS one guy said, we didn't have 6-7 guys over on that side the height of Too Tall Jones, we had receivers, DB's, RB's and WR's out there to cover, the breaking the plane people crack me up. As Herbstreit said, "those guys are 3 yards behind the line." So if those kids are roughly 6' tall, they could lay down and still be a yard behind the line...o_O curious, neither of the line judges tossed fabric...but a back judge did? Hmm....Lucy got some 'splainin' to do...

Reactions: quartetman
It was the guy on our side of the field - Platt, I assume - that threw the flag.

Last edited:
Meanwhile...this just in from the ACC Central Authority:

38155238.jpg

On a kickoff, the back judge lines up on the side of the kicking team. I know, it sounds stupid, but Platt was the guy who threw the flag.

On a kickoff, the back judge lines up on the side of the kicking team. I know, it sounds stupid, but Platt was the guy who threw the flag.

Well, I know for sure there are about 100 football players, 12 coaches and multiple thousands of Tar Heel FANS who DON'T have this SOB's BACK. What a jerk!!!

I guess the ACC will have to give him a special check for, oh, $50,000 or more for necessary "medical expenses" due to "the affliction to his eyes noted in the last minutes of this trying playoff game"!! :mad:

I'm a Gamecock, I wasn't pulling for either one of you to win. I don't like watching ANYBODY flat-out get cheated, though.
The 'heels' were robbed. Pure-out theft. It WASN'T 'premeditated', IMHO ... 'cause the guy didn't throw the flag until clemson's #24 DROPPED it.
I think it WAS 'deliberate', robbing UNC of its chance.
1:13 plus all your timeouts, ball on clemson's 48 and North Carolina running through a scared, disoriented clemson defense like butter - your QB finally clicking on all fronts.
Damn shame.
You guys don't throw three right to us in the end zone (any one of which would have won it for you) and you go into that clemson game undefeated, too.
Had THAT been the circumstance I don't know if they'd have tried so HARD to 'protect' clemson and their chance to participate in the playoffs ... 'cause EITHER 'winner' was a play-in.
The LEAGUE screwed UNC ... 'da 'fix' was IN!!! You never had a chance once it got close.

Reactions: randman1
Yes in HS this was changed many years back , the BJ was moved up from the receiving area to the Kicking team's free kick line.

Last edited:
I'm a Gamecock, I wasn't pulling for either one of you to win. I don't like watching ANYBODY flat-out get cheated, though.
The 'heels' were robbed. Pure-out theft. It WASN'T 'premeditated', IMHO ... 'cause the guy didn't throw the flag until clemson's #24 DROPPED it.
I think it WAS 'deliberate', robbing UNC of its chance.
1:13 plus all your timeouts, ball on clemson's 48 and North Carolina running through a scared, disoriented clemson defense like butter - your QB finally clicking on all fronts.
Damn shame.
You guys don't throw three right to us in the end zone (any one of which would have won it for you) and you go into that clemson game undefeated, too.
Had THAT been the circumstance I don't know if they'd have tried so HARD to 'protect' clemson and their chance to participate in the playoffs ... 'cause EITHER 'winner' was a play-in.
The LEAGUE screwed UNC ... 'da 'fix' was IN!!! You never had a chance once it got close.
You are a Gamecock fan and weren't pulling against Clemson? I have several friends and family members who are Alumni or fans and they were pulling against Clemson as hard as I was pulling for UNC.

OK guys, I think it is time to let this one die. We know it was a bad call and we have had our fair share of bad calls this year, but this IS NOT going to be changed. Calling, writing or otherwise harassing this guy is pretty childish and puts us on a level with mooers. We don't need that. It is over, we are going to a good bowl game and Clemson is playing OU in the playoffs. Just let it go and lets hope the ACC will clean up this mess before next season.

For chrissakes please someon delete that guys personal info. You're accusing someone, heck several someones, of criminal fraud in a public forum without a single shred of evidence other than a blown judgement call which btw happens a hundred times each weekend.

Bryan J. Platt, Boston

Also worked the 2010 'Bama-Texas NCG ... works for FedEx
Been a college ref for 25-years.

Dude i hope i speak for the majority of unc fans when i say gtfoh and dont come back. This is high school bullshit that could cause someone serious harm. Whats even more pitiful is that u evidently know that since u went to
The trouble of establishing a fake handle to post it. We dont want u as a poster or a fan. Go root for state. U fit right in.

What an embarrassment to this site and all Tar Heel fans alike. You ought to be ashamed for putting this info up for all to see. Crack Ride has openings over on their site for you to screw around.

Last edited by a moderator:
Grid- you got Platts address, email, phone number, etc yet?

I would like to take this opportunity to elaborate that I wasnt requesting this info- i was just goofin with Grid about his posts ITT.

I in no way condone contacting Platt. Just want to distance myself from what seemed to be a joke and has now taken a not so good turn.

Like 71-00, I was hamming it up, doing a bad mooUer impersonation, when I spoke of finding Platt's email. Would never harass the guy, although he's a DISHONEST putz.

Now, I fully admit and claim to having written both Swofford and Hennigan, respectfully and professionally, but still sharp & critically.

I volunteered my time and umpired girl's rec league softball for two seasons. Most miserable exp of my life. The behavior of fans and parents over teen girls playing a freaking game was reprehensible. All it took was one close call going against a team to get them on my ass. I have zero patience for people making it personal with officials.

Well, heelmanwilm, there's a bit of difference. Guys signed up to do college football have to accept the heat/pressure. Girls softball? No so much...

Well imho when it comes to amateur athletics we shouldn't lose perspective that it's a game being played by teenagers. It's supposed to be fun. We're not preventing terror attacks or splitting the atom. its entertainment. Of course mistakes are going to be made. People will choke in the heat of the moment. Whether it's as a player or a coach or an official. When we choose to define our fan hood by judging these mistakes as an indication of a persons character (no heart, paid off, DISHONEST, etc) as opposed to enjoying the game then we've reached a pitiful sad state. Groan and moan with the losses, pull your hair out, rend your garments and throw ashes on your head for all i care but noone deserves Being personally attacked and slandered for "blowing it".

Well imho when it comes to amateur athletics we shouldn't lose perspective that it's a game being played by teenagers. It's supposed to be fun. We're not preventing terror attacks or splitting the atom. its entertainment. Of course mistakes are going to be made. People will choke in the heat of the moment. Whether it's as a player or a coach or an official. When we choose to define our fan hood by judging these mistakes as an indication of a persons character (no heart, paid off, DISHONEST, etc) as opposed to enjoying the game then we've reached a pitiful sad state. Groan and moan with the losses, pull your hair out, rend your garments and throw ashes on your head for all i care but noone deserves Being personally attacked and slandered for "blowing it".
I'd feel the same exact way if the "blown" calls weren't so numerous and that nearly ALL of these inexplicable calls are so very central and crucial to the various games' outcomes and possible outcomes, and always in the final minutes when the screwing can't be overcome. Miami took a hosing beyond belief on a final minute drive vs. dook where they were flagged 3 times for pass INT., including on an interception! That was clearly a case of officials trying to manipulate the outcome. That was perhaps the worst I'd seen until the ACCCG fiasco. That was "shameful", to quote the text of my buddy, a former UGa player, who I've heard say numerous times that only idiots believe that officials and leagues don't selectively manipulate outcomes.

We all WANT to believe this game we all love is on the level, and 80-85% of the time it is. But too many people have too much invested to leave it to chance when certain outcomes are seen as needed and preferred.

Yea but heres the thing, and after this u can have last word and we'll put it to rest, EVERY SINGLE FAN BASE has a story like our acccg. They ALL claim the refs screwed them over as some sort of pro-their rival or anti-their team conspiracy. So who's right?

Reactions: UNC71-00
not arguing for harassment of officials , but in case you hadn't noticed college football lost perspective years ago.

Not a big conspiracy guy. I think this was most likely just utter incompetence. I have to believe that or I would just quit watching college sports all together. Lord knows we've seen numerous examples of incompetence this year. What bothers me the most is the lack of concern by the PTB in the ACC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT