ADVERTISEMENT

Bryce Thompson

With all the options available to a 5 star recruit like Thompson who by all accounts comes from a great family why on earth would you take a chance and commit to Kansas. I'd advise them to read the FBI transcripts and see just how deep Bill Self and at least 1 assistant(Townsend) were in to the pay for play scandal. I've read them and they were involved in paying multiple players to come to Kansas.

Last edited:
I could see how a personal relationship, if it was deep enough, could encourage a family to believe Self's version of things. Especially, if he has been there for you in the past. One might believe the "friend" over the strangers who are denigrating said friend.

Come to the Hill, Mr. Thompson and avoid the issue completely!

Reactions: TheGLOV
I could see how a personal relationship, if it was deep enough, could encourage a family to believe Self's version of things. Especially, if he has been there for you in the past. One might believe the "friend" over the strangers who are denigrating said friend.

Come to the Hill, Mr. Thompson and avoid the issue completely!
It's the "friends" talking on the wire taps. What's Self telling them that it's someone else using his and his assistants phone and impersonating their voice.

No idea , just giving a reason why a respectable family might let their son go to KU. Self could have owned up to his wrongs and said he was trying to compete in a dirty game. If they trusted him , they might accept his apology and promise to be straight from now on. I would call BS on this, but if he were a trusted friend

Roy & Coach Rob conducting an in-home today. The results of this meeting should tell the finale on this recruitment. Have no indication as to what will be the outcome as yet. If you are really set on getting BT, it might be good to prepare yourself for possible disappointment.

I think coach rob visited the 17th prior to the OU official, and now both visited today?
Something is up. Wish I was a fly on the wall. We find out soon.

Listening to recruiting podcast tonight, Clint said Bryce still in play for UNC. UNC has called to tell him that. He thinks it’s down to KU and us. He said the longer the recruitment goes Ku has a better shot because they are trying to find out more about the FBI issues. Clint did believe with the connection with his dad and Coach Rob they would let UNC know right away if they were out and not lead them on like everyone else.
So, in other words, Bryce prefers KU, but might settle for us if the KU corruption situation isn't clear enough.

I'm not one of those who says if a guy doesn't really want us, we don't want him. Because I think we easily win those guys over and they become family, too. Nevertheless, if he really prefers KU, he should take his chances there.

There's almost no chance that KU will be banned from postseason play this season. It's just too late for anything major like that to come down. Or wait a couple of weeks for the season to start, to be sure.

I mean, Nas would’ve went to Zona or Miami if it wasn’t for the FBI probe... so if it means that this is what sways Bryce to us... I’ll take him

I'm just dumbfounded as to why anyone would even consider sending their kid to KU with the lying and cheating that has gone on in Lawrence. That program is under intense scrutiny and is going to get hammered by the NCAA. No way I'm putting my kid in that environment of having to answer questions about that fiasco. You know one of the first questions they're going to ask you if you commit right. How could you commit to a program that has multiple major allegations with the FBI wiretaps to back it up.
I can see not wanting anything to do with a corrupt program.

I can also see a kid and his parents saying "this doesn't really affect what's best for Bryce." If he likes Self and the coaching staff, if he likes the guys he'll be playing with, if he likes the campus . . . no need to look past those things.

As I said above, it's really unlikely any punishment for KU will affect Bryce. That's assuming Bryce is OAD. If HE thinks he's OAD, that's all that matters.

If it turns out he's not OAD (my belief, but apparently not his), then picking KU could blow up in his face next year or later. But our experience with the NCAA suggests he'll be long gone if/when the NCAA acts, and there's not much reason to think FBI involvement will change that timeline.

I mean, Nas would’ve went to Zona or Miami if it wasn’t for the FBI probe... so if it means that this is what sways Bryce to us... I’ll take him
I agree, but it didn't dissuade Josh Green or Mannion.

I really think the perceived sluggishness of NCAA action just gives the green light for corrupt schools to go after- and land - top players.

His father knows, respects, trusts and appreciates his first hand relationship and experience with Self. Kansas is nearby, Kansas is an elite program. The cloud hanging over is huge though.

The Thompson's respect and appreciate the connection with UNC's staff. They seem to have been very forthright with each in the recruitment of their son. I would LOVE for Bryce to choose UNC for whatever reason at this point. If he chooses KU, I have zero disparaging comments or negative feelings toward their decision process.

Seems like a quality kid and family. Good luck.

I understand the family connection with Kansas and the Thompson’s really seem like a first class family. I just struggle to comprehend how a school that is under a significant NOA (Kansas denies) and that trotted our the horror show of a late night event(again they didn’t know) gains this commitment. If that would’ve been UNC all hell would have broken loose. If BT does choose he’d better be OAD because things are going to go downhill fast with the KU program.

Some real conflicting information out there. Some experts saying Carolina right in the thick of the Thompson recruitment while at least 1 saying that Carolina has basically been eliminated. Unless Coach William's and Steve Robinson requested to still come I don't think Rod Thompson would make them make the trip to Oklahoma if they had been eliminated. Rod Thompson has too much respect for Steve Robinson to do that in my opinion.

Ah, the "experts" are at it again.
Some getting good information, some not so much.
Bet, as said above, the Thompson's know where they are in the process.

His father knows, respects, trusts and appreciates his first hand relationship and experience with Self. Kansas is nearby, Kansas is an elite program. The cloud hanging over is huge though.

The Thompson's respect and appreciate the connection with UNC's staff. They seem to have been very forthright with each in the recruitment of their son. I would LOVE for Bryce to choose UNC for whatever reason at this point. If he chooses KU, I have zero disparaging comments or negative feelings toward their decision process.

Seems like a quality kid and family. Good luck.
We had some predictions here that Bryce would choose last week. Obviously not.

What happened?

We had some predictions here that Bryce would choose last week. Obviously not.

What happened?

Well, there are a lot of variables at play within this recruitment, and I am sure that BT is pulled in several directions at once. You have Coach Rob & Self both having close connections to the dad. I suspect that the end of this recruitment is imminent. Roy & Coach Rob spent time there yesterday in what I would believe, was their closing arguments in regards to this recruitment. So, seeing what transpires going forward in regards to what action Roy takes should be a dead giveaway.

Personally, I think he stays in the Midwest, either OK or Kansas, and I will never be able to wrap my mind around why, after all that has been reported and confirmed concerning Kansas' involvement in the Adidas debacle, his father would be ok with him playing for Bill Self, even given the relationship he and Self have.

Last edited:
meh, can't recruit them all.
Important to remember Roy and crew have done more with less! Even came out with a CHIP at a time when recruits wouldn't give us the time of day.
And now that we finally have more...college basketball world is taking notice. So next!

I think SF should be our focus for next year. We can throw people there and slam a square peg in a round hole and Roy will have them ready, but it would be nice to have a natural 3 that can slide right in. Maybe Kessler slides right in there. :) Kessler at 3 Garrison at 4 and Sharpe at the 5. Hmmm... thats big. Then throw miller in at the 2 and let Leaky bring the ball up. :) Embarrassment of riches.

I think SF should be our focus for next year. We can throw people there and slam a square peg in a round hole and Roy will have them ready, but it would be nice to have a natural 3 that can slide right in. Maybe Kessler slides right in there. :) Kessler at 3 Garrison at 4 and Sharpe at the 5. Hmmm... thats big. Then throw miller in at the 2 and let Leaky bring the ball up. :) Embarrassment of riches.

If Ziaire decides to stay out west, then we should put the full court press on another target later this cycle or in the spring. These recruitments in general have a way, just like water, of finding their course, so, there is no reason to think or even believe that Roy & staff will start the 2020 season with no options concerning the wing position.

The Walton kid will make a serviceable utility player for us at the 2/3, so I am in on him, would love to add him to this class. Remember, there are options that can be utilized. Roy has never reeled in all the ones that he preferred in a single class, even in 2005-2006.

They could just hand the ball to each other to bring it upcourt.

Reactions: ajklum and TheGLOV
With all the options available to a 5 star recruit like Thompson who by all accounts comes from a great family why on earth would you take a chance and commit to Kansas. I'd advise them to read the FBI transcripts and see just how deep Bill Self and at least 1 assistant(Townsend) were in to the pay for play scandal. I've read them and they were involved in paying multiple players to come to Kansas.
Because these kids today don't care about any of that stuff. If all goes according to plan, he's playing one year whatever he goes. Whatever happens at Kansas or wherever isn't even a blip on the radar.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT