ADVERTISEMENT

Bubba screws up again

Xlance

Sophomore
Sep 29, 2014
While I love Mack, it looks like Scott Satterfield will be ACC coach of the year. He has taken a team with many, many holes and is winning. He would have been our long term solution instead of a short term fix.
Bubba may be a good administrator but he is a lousy coach picker. He needs to go.....and soon.

I like Satterfield and wish him well, except vs the Heels of course. But I think Mack was the more appropriate pick to rebuild the Heels at this time.

One thing to consider 4, 5 years down the road if both guys have rebuilt their programs successfully:
Satterfield will likely be getting opportunities to move on to a bigger football school.

On the other hand, Mack has stated that he will not coach anywhere else after this. As long as we don't screw up in hiring his replacement like we did 20 years ago, UNC football could remain solid.

Reactions: tarheel0910
While I love Mack, it looks like Scott Satterfield will be ACC coach of the year. He has taken a team with many, many holes and is winning. He would have been our long term solution instead of a short term fix.
Bubba may be a good administrator but he is a lousy coach picker. He needs to go.....and soon.
Top five dumbest post on blitz. It's even dumber considering it's from the guy who wants to run the triple option.

I like Satterfield and wish him well, except vs the Heels of course. But I think Mack was the more appropriate pick to rebuild the Heels at this time.

One thing to consider 4, 5 years down the road if both guys have rebuilt their programs successfully:
Satterfield will likely be getting opportunities to move on to a bigger football school.

On the other hand, Mack has stated that he will not coach anywhere else after this. As long as we don't screw up in hiring his replacement like we did 20 years ago, UNC football could remain solid.
All of that is 100% correct. It's apparent that this guy knows nothing about the job of the AD and about UNC culture, especially UNC football fan culture.

Reactions: TarHeelMark
As perhaps the most ardent Satterfield advocate on this site, I agree that this thread is nonsense. Satterfield is a great young coach, I think that is a proven fact. But I can understand those who had reservations about hiring him at UNC. TBS, Mack has done a tremendous job since he's returned to Chapel Hill. He will reestablish the program and pave the way for a young coach like Bateman, or yes Satterfield, to take our program into the future.

As perhaps the most ardent Satterfield advocate on this site, I agree that this thread is nonsense. Satterfield is a great young coach, I think that is a proven fact. But I can understand those who had reservations about hiring him at UNC. TBS, Mack has done a tremendous job since he's returned to Chapel Hill. He will reestablish the program and pave the way for a young coach like Bateman, or yes Satterfield, to take our program into the future.
You were big on Satterfield before I was. I felt he was the best choice for UNC only after looking very closely at him, which was because of what you said.

Satterfield and Mack have taken the 2 worst teams in the ACC last year, teams that looked dead in the water much of the time, and have made them bowl contenders in Year 1. They could end up co-ACC Coaches of the Year.

The most obvious difference between them, of course, is age. The odds are overwhelming that within 5 to 7 years, age will begin to take its toll on Mack. If he does not make a plan to be replaced well, and before he inadvertently leads a downturn, then everything he rebuilds could blow up behind him.

Bobby Bowden, Joe Paterno, and Frank Beamer all stayed too long and therefore hurt the programs they built.

The most obvious difference between them, of course, is age. The odds are overwhelming that within 5 to 7 years, age will begin to take its toll on Mack. If he does not make a plan to be replaced well, and before he inadvertently leads a downturn, then everything he rebuilds could blow up behind him.

Bobby Bowden, Joe Paterno, and Frank Beamer all stayed too long and therefore hurt the programs they built.
I really don't feel Mack will stay too long. I think his goal is to get UNC back on track and then hand the torch to someone else, then ride off into the Carolina mountain sunset. In 3-5 years, perhaps Satterfield or someone else will have established himself as the heir apparent.

My point with Satterfield was that you don't always have to wait until they've proven themselves at the highest level, sometimes you have to go with your gut and take a leap of faith. Sometimes if you snooze, you lose.

Just to add, I think Bubba made the safe decision. More than anything, we needed a shot of enthusiasm in the arm and to reestablish a rapport with NC high school coaches and our program. Mack, despite his age, was the perfect choice to do that because of his charismatic personality. I truly believe he will be the bridge over which we will cross over into a much brighter football future.

I have said since Mack was hired that there was an entire plan in place with how long he might coach here depending on timeframe to get the program where he left it before and who will be possible replacements when he chooses to do it... Almost like The basketball program when Dean retired and more than likely when Roy decides to step down...

As mad as I was with Mack when he left I believe he really felt sorry for the downfall of the football program and him coming out of retirement to coach was his way to make up for that.

Offer Satterfield the job AFTER Mack retires. That way you can tell if he has the stones and ability to coach at this level. The ACC allows any team the ability to be national champions. Mack said as much, and it made sense. When you have Clemson on your conference... and you can beat them... then you're in the CFP contention. Scott Satterfield is a NC native. he could easily be considered after Mack leaves.

ETA:

You'd better wait and see if Satterfield actually proves to be a successful coach at this level. Beating Wake in Winston-Salem, EKU, WKU and barely beating Boston College isn't proof enough for me. They lost to FSU, too!

Recruiting is the lifeblood, and Mack has flipped that around more quickly than Satterfield would.

If you saw the gameday excitement at any of our home games, you'd be impressed with Mack also. Could Satterfield have generated that excitement?

We needed a short-term jolt first, to setup the recruiting and fan support to enable a coach (Mack or otherwise) long term success.

Perfect hire by Bubba.

OP after making that poast:

giphy.gif

I was not sure Mack was the best choice because of how much money we owed Fedora. However, he has done more in less than a year than I have ever seen. Satterfield does not sell out Kenan. Satterfield does not turn around recruiting in a month like Mack did. Satterfield does not have students going a hour and a half to 2 hours early to make sure they get the best seat for the football game. In the first 6 games, Mack has made us a football school. I am not sure if this level of enthusiasm can be maintained, but so far, it has been a great ride.

No chance Mack leaves the cupboard bear. No chance, Mack leaves us in a worse position when he leaves. We will have better players and be a program someone wants to coach for, instead of one that sees the diamond in the rough.

Recruiting is the lifeblood, and Mack has flipped that around more quickly than Satterfield would.

If you saw the gameday excitement at any of our home games, you'd be impressed with Mack also. Could Satterfield have generated that excitement?

We needed a short-term jolt first, to setup the recruiting and fan support to enable a coach (Mack or otherwise) long term success.

Perfect hire by Bubba.

Long term, the much improved game day atmosphere should prove more important than even the immediately improved recruiting

I have said since Mack was hired that there was an entire plan in place with how long he might coach here depending on timeframe to get the program where he left it before and who will be possible replacements when he chooses to do it... Almost like The basketball program when Dean retired and more than likely when Roy decides to step down...

As mad as I was with Mack when he left I believe he really felt sorry for the downfall of the football program and him coming out of retirement to coach was his way to make up for that.
I agree with you in feeling that Mack regretted what happened to UNC football after he left. He wanted the job now to undo the mess that happened after he left.

And Mack is smart enough to know that his best legacy to UNC football would be to leave in the hands of the right young head coach in a few years.

I agree with you in feeling that Mack regretted what happened to UNC football after he left. He wanted the job now to undo the mess that happened after he left.

And Mack is smart enough to know that his best legacy to UNC football would be to leave in the hands of the right young head coach in a few years.
I agree with this. He truly loves UNC and the state of North Carolina, it's why he never sold his property at Grandfather Mountain. He always planned to retire there. I think he wants to reestablish the program, put it on solid footing, and leave it in good shape for his successor.

i think mack is planning on easing bubba on down the road just as i think he did fedora.
4-5 years coaching then a d.

i think mack is planning on easing bubba on down the road just as i think he did fedora.
4-5 years coaching then a d.
A number pf us have said for years, back to when we had no reason to think Mack would ever coach a UNC again, that he would make a very good UNC AD.

Bubba Cunningham is a Notre Dame grad, masters as well as bachelors, and he worked for ND for a decade or more. He would return to be ND AD in a heartbeat. Jack Swarbrick is 8 or 9 years older than Bubba, but Swarbrick is younger than Mack.

I personally think our dc is gonna be head coach after mack retired
The number of people who have begun to see exactly how complex his D is may agree with you. Assuming we do not let anybody poach him to be their DC/Associate HC.

The coordinators most likely to be big successes as HCs are those who are innovators, who do original things. That is Bateman.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
The number of people who have begun to see exactly how complex his D is may agree with you. Assuming we do not let anybody poach him to be their DC/Associate HC.

The coordinators most likely to be big successes as HCs are those who are innovators, who do original things. That is Bateman.
Kind of like Fedora

Reactions: uncboy10
There are people who will criticize a surgeon that saved their lives with a complicated surgery because they think the scar is too ugly.

You can call them misguided, you can say they have different priorities, or a number of other things. Grandaddy would have just called them damned fools and forgotten about them.

Grandaddy was smart. :)

Mack might be old but his legacy here at UNC is unfinished. The sky is the limit and the ceiling is the roof along with the fact that he can BE THE ONE! The one to take this program to the promised land of a national championship. Don't say it can't happen, he has proven he can do it before. Let the man play out his own legacy and bring UNC to where no one has gone before. Unfinished business? Yes sir, and when he takes us there it will be the story of the century.

Reactions: shun1
Well, it looks like that lousy coach Bubba picked...

Has gotten commitments from 5 of the top 10 in-state kids (per 247). And Just locked down the no. 2 player in the nation (per espn).

These continued wins in recruiting against the big boys (Clemson, Bama, etc) has UNC football on the path to becoming a serious contender for ACC championships & playoff berths a few years down the road.

Whatcha think @Xlance ?

OP is not a smart man, but I kind of think we would be a better team right now with SS. However, we needed Mack for more important things like culture and program building. Still, Scott might end up being the real deal.

Hi my fellow posters, thank you for the supporting post you have made supporting our UNC SPORTS...SMILE

!!!!!!!!!!!! GO TAR HEELS !!!!!!!!!!!!

Just curious, UNC lost to Clemson by 1 with Mack and staff — Louisville list to Clemson by 35... Now I know it’s hard to compare games vs common opponents for various reasons but why would we think Satterfield would of made us better then we are with Mack this year??

Reactions: TarHeelMark
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT