ADVERTISEMENT

Carolina vs FSU gamethread

Mac is snakebit vs FSU....now 0-8.

Sam was the better QB....the O lines both are mediocre...same with DB's...it came down to the hoo-doo.

We have some talent. Cedric Gray has shown flashes. Murphy is good.

Unfortunately our coordinators are holding us back. Becomes more apparent each week. We keep making the same mistakes.
I hope we have talent. I’m beginning to wonder if they were overrated. I realize we lost a lot of talent last year, but we should be better than this.
Good thing Late Night is only 6 days away
it’s all up to Hubert, now. Let’s hope that turns out ok.

I hope we have talent. I’m beginning to wonder if they were overrated. I realize we lost a lot of talent last year, but we should be better than this.

Talent that is not developed may be truly great talent that is undeveloped. Undeveloped talent is the fault of lousy coaching.

I say we have more talent now that at any time since '96 and '97 and 2010.

Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
Glad I missed the second half. They just got totally bitch-slapped, at home, to a 1-4 FSU team. It's pathetic.

A lot of the decent recruits might consider the transfer portal after this crappy season. Why play for this shit program? Downs could possibly (probably?) exit. With Howell gone, who will throw it to him?

This is just crap, plain and simple. There's no improvement.

And, I'm sure Johnny T-shirt is eager to sell tons of gear that says "We Recruit Really Well!" The stadium will be pretty empty the rest of the season, and for good reason.

Mack, your time has come. Retire, please. I thought he was basically just a low-risk, placating hire to begin with... too little, too late, but maybe put a happy face on it for a few years. I've always had a resentment toward him... He bailed on UNC when he was good and the UNC team was good, and he could take the school to a higher level, but he quit and went to Texas. I gave him some time when they rehired him, but this is clearly regressing, fast! "Great" Recruits that can't perform are worthless. Assistants are garbage. They're going to get Sam injured. He and his staff are losing in the same ways, over and over. Time to go.

Glad I missed the second half. They just got totally bitch-slapped, at home, to a 1-4 FSU team. It's pathetic.

A lot of the decent recruits might consider the transfer portal after this crappy season. Why play for this shit program? Downs could possibly (probably?) exit. With Howell gone, who will throw it to him?

This is just crap, plain and simple. There's no improvement.

And, I'm sure Johnny T-shirt is eager to sell tons of gear that says "We Recruit Really Well!" The stadium will be pretty empty the rest of the season, and for good reason.

Mack, your time has come. Retire, please. I thought he was basically just a low-risk, placating hire to begin with... too little, too late, but maybe put a happy face on it for a few years. I've always had a resentment toward him... He bailed on UNC when he was good and the UNC team was good, and he could take the school to a higher level, but he quit and went to Texas. I gave him some time when they rehired him, but this is clearly regressing, fast! "Great" Recruits that can't perform are worthless. Assistants are garbage. They're going to get Sam injured. He and his staff are losing in the same ways, over and over. Time to go.
I was just thinking: I hope our graduation rate is good. If it was sterling, top of the conference, we’d have something to be proud of. But we don’t even have that. I line Mack, but he’s not going to give us top of the conference football or academics (as far as I know).

I was just thinking: I hope our graduation rate is good. If it was sterling, top of the conference, we’d have something to be proud of. But we don’t even have that. I line Mack, but he’s not going to give us top of the conference football or academics (as far as I know).
He had his shot in the late 90's and he left us for Texas. He's 70 years old, now. Get someone else.

Reactions: AncientTarheel
I believe he would've stayed if Dickie B and the PTB had ponied up the cash.
Maybe, maybe not. Doesn't matter now.

Look at Clawson, Wake's coach/and staff- they're improving and there's a very high ceiling. There is no reason why UNC cannot get a coach and a staff like that and push the limits. Mack Brown is too old to take us anywhere. And, his choices for a staff are even worse. I'm not impressed, or even interested, with things like "he's recruiting well." He can't coach them, play them, and his staff can't do it, either.

I'm sure that Cunningham, and whoever else is in charge, will drag this out another year or two and then have to start all over again from nothing. That's what we're used to and continue to accept.

I'll be generous and throw out the VaTech game. Came out flat against GaSt, trailed at halftime before winning a shootout against UVA, lost as 13.5 point favorites to GaTech, and lost as 17.5 point favorites to FSU by a combined 33 points. That is not a talent issue.

Maybe, maybe not. Doesn't matter now.

Look at Clawson, Wake's coach/and staff- they're improving and there's a very high ceiling. There is no reason why UNC cannot get a coach and a staff like that and push the limits. Mack Brown is too old to take us anywhere. And, his choices for a staff are even worse. I'm not impressed, or even interested, with things like "he's recruiting well." He can't coach them, play them, and his staff can't do it, either.

I'm sure that Cunningham, and whoever else is in charge, will drag this out another year or two and then have to start all over again from nothing. That's what we're used to and continue to accept.

We’re Carolina. We should stand for excellence, that’s Dean’s legacy. If not athletics, then academics. Right now, we stand for recruiting hype. That’s not excellence, that’s just salesmanship.

This is my fear... unless mack can recruit despite these losses.

This is my fear... unless mack can recruit despite these losses.
Recruiting is key. But, it takes a lot more than recruiting. If this season stays on its present course, some of those current recruits could transfer, and the future recruits can decommit. It's not getting any better. Why waste your time? Mack Brown and his staff aren't showing that they can coach and get good results.

For me, this game was, pretty much, the last straw. These dumb losses are still there, every season. There was simply no excuse for losing this game... none. The enthusiasm behind this coach and staff is gone, for me. And, I'm quite confident that the same sentiment is going to be more and more prevalent. This season is over, for all intents and purposes. They have at least 3 more losses coming, and that's being optimistic. There's definitely potential for more. They were over-hyped to start the season, but this thing is going off-the-rails.

Last edited:
If you want to go see the heels this year, you can probably get a ticket for $5 on StubHub. That's including fees.

I'm having a hard time believing that Mack can continue to recruit at the level he has been when the product on the field looks absolutely terrible.

If Mack has to be told or convinced that the coordinators need to go, then he needs to go. If he can improve the staff and recruit then give him a few more years.

I'm having a hard time believing that Mack can continue to recruit at the level he has been when the product on the field looks absolutely terrible.

If Mack has to be told or convinced that the coordinators need to go, then he needs to go. If he can improve the staff and recruit then give him a few more years.
The problem is "how many more?" Because, inevitably, they're going to have to start from scratch AGAIN.

I don't think it will matter. I just have a strong feeling that Brown will continue to be marginal, at best. Last season was a fluke with a shortened season and an abundance of offensive skill players. Brown, at this point in his career, is a 6-6 level coach. He's just doing this for fun, there's nothing to prove. I'm sure he doesn't like losing, but he's going to lose as many games as he wins.

Yeah, if he makes some changes you have to give him another year or two. Unless a coach is a complete dumpster fire, he needs four years. Firing coaches in a three year cycle is just as bad as keeping a mediocre coach around for a decade. If he's refusing to make changes though, well, he should probably just move on.

The problem then is who wants to come here? We certainly can't get a big name. In the small chance we actually get a good up and coming coach, he'll just end up leaving anyway.

In the small chance we actually get a good up and coming coach, he'll just end up leaving anyway.
I'd rather take that chance over hiring retreads that only patch the problem. Maybe that's why they hired Mack- NO ONE wanted the job! Same might have been said for Davis in basketball, I dunno.

I still believe that UNC is a place that would fervently embrace a successful football program, if one actually appeared.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT