ADVERTISEMENT

Carolina vs Va Tech Gamethread

Make the freakin’ FG and win. Now it’s

I guess each team had around 5/6 plays had they made it they would have won, but saying that the biggest play in the game could have been prevented, you in know way shape or form can hold from the 10-12 yard line trying to win a game... all of the others were football plays, that one was a mental breakdown and if " no penalties" was not the main topic from the coaches at that point then shame on them.. he doesn't hold there worst case scenario is a 18 yard chip shot attempt..

Make the freakin’ FG and win. Now it’s

It’s like Mack said during the week that’s all they have to do so there’s competition all the time. Man I miss someone like Conner Barth or even nick weiler. At least nick was pretty consistent.

Well their not built to kick anyone butt with lack of talent, so my guess is every game will come down to the last possessions

The way I see it, we’ve run 3 2-pt conversion plays in a row in game situations and have been absolutely stuffed on all three. Sad. It’s Carolina football.

The Leading Tackler is a QB so hopefully that will change with better talent brought in... It was brutal to watch because they do not know how to win at this point and you can tell... I mean most of these guys have around a 5-20 record give or take a game or too .. Then you throw in the coaching blunders and it makes it extra difficult..

As for knowing how to win they should’ve learned some with the first two games. I know that’s a small sample size too but new coaches and new attitudes.

I lived through the roughest of Tar Heel football times and this isn’t even close. This is what it is. Rebuilding time. We have a freshman QB who is doing things we’d expect a junior or senior to do. We have a decimated OL protecting him and blocking for arguable the best RB squad in the ACC, which looks great at times and other times, not so much. We have good, but not great receivers who are still learning. We have a pieced together secondary of mostly 2nd and 3rd stringers out there. Not to mention the fact we have a first year coach and staff rebuilding after a cluster fornication for years. And we are still in contention for playing for an ACC title game with the defending National Champions, who we took to the wire just 2 weeks ago.

Sorry, but as bad as I feel for this game and how we blew chances, I see things I haven’t seen since Mack was the coach the first time around. I see kids who will fight to the very last snap. I see kids who are giving everything they have for the entire game, not just a quarter or 2. I see kids who want to win, but who just don’t know how - yet. I see coaches want to be here and want to lead this university to greatness. And I see a man who, after securing his place in college football history, CHOSE to come back and turn a program around because he loved the university.

Yes, I am mad as hell we didn’t win. I wish we’d have done some things different and I wish we’d have capitalized on opportunities when we had them in our grasp. But, I also see positives, despite the bad and I can’t wait to see what good things will happen. If not this year, then next. Because I know they will happen. Not because I have taken a cup of kool aid, but because I saw the worst of the worst and the best of the best and I recognize the difference between the two.

Both Kickers had a chance and flopped, both Kickers flopped in the south Carolina Georgia game... Basically kickers at this level or weak minded and you do not want them to be your last resort...

multiple chances and flopped. Stage still too big for us in year 1 under Mack. Did I say how bad Longo’s play calling has been in key spots? At times, I truly say out loud, could he have called a worse play in that situation and never can seem to think of another play that could have been worse. That interaction between he and Mack at the end of regulation was telling. Mack was clearly disgusted with the play calling and came up and said “what kind of call was that?” And Longo visibly got aggravated and they started an animated conversation. Longo needs to step up or step out.

Sam has been tremendous this year. That said, his situational awareness leaves a lot to be desired at times, which is very common for freshman regardless of skill level. We still take too many sacks in scramble situations where he needs to throw it away. There have been a ton of those this season, and quite a few today. Those 5-7 yard losses here and there add up in key situations.

Reactions: Littlejon
I lived through the roughest of Tar Heel football times and this isn’t even close. This is what it is. Rebuilding time. We have a freshman QB who is doing things we’d expect a junior or senior to do. We have a decimated OL protecting him and blocking for arguable the best RB squad in the ACC, which looks great at times and other times, not so much. We have good, but not great receivers who are still learning. We have a pieced together secondary of mostly 2nd and 3rd stringers out there. Not to mention the fact we have a first year coach and staff rebuilding after a cluster fornication for years. And we are still in contention for playing for an ACC title game with the defending National Champions, who we took to the wire just 2 weeks ago.

Sorry, but as bad as I feel for this game and how we blew chances, I see things I haven’t seen since Mack was the coach the first time around. I see kids who will fight to the very last snap. I see kids who are giving everything they have for the entire game, not just a quarter or 2. I see kids who want to win, but who just don’t know how - yet. I see coaches want to be here and want to lead this university to greatness. And I see a man who, after securing his place in college football history, CHOSE to come back and turn a program around because he loved the university.

Yes, I am mad as hell we didn’t win. I wish we’d have done some things different and I wish we’d have capitalized on opportunities when we had them in our grasp. But, I also see positives, despite the bad and I can’t wait to see what good things will happen. If not this year, then next. Because I know they will happen. Not because I have taken a cup of kool aid, but because I saw the worst of the worst and the best of the best and I recognize the difference between the two.
Lol

I wish I could like this 100 times. Some of our fans seem to have no perspective. It was a tough loss against an evenly matched opponent. We’re in rebuilding mode. Period.

Reactions: Littlejon
It took an extraordinary effort to lose that game. I still can’t get over the fact that Longo called a stretch play on 3rd and 2.
I have to admit that his situational play calling has left a lot to be desired. He may be the weakest link on this team right now, from a staff perspective. I wouldn't be surprised to see a change made there at the end of the season.

I have to admit that his situational play calling has left a lot to be desired. He may be the weakest link on this team right now, from a staff perspective. I wouldn't be surprised to see a change made there at the end of the season.

Mack appeared visibly frustrated with Longo on the sideline a few times during that game. Idk if he makes a move after this year, but better to do it early in the building process if it needs to happen.

Personally I don't think he's a good enough OC to take us to the promised land. But to be fair its hard to objectively judge him with all of the injuries on the o-line, and the drops haven't helped either.

At times he made some good calls. The counter-bootleg call on the goal line for an easy TD was a good call. So was the reverse flea flicker that also resulted in the TD. But good grief some of the play calls in big moments were horrendous. Both 2 point conversion calls in overtime left a lot to be desired.

I wanna make sure I was there, too. When, exactly, were "the roughest times?"

Well, beginning right after Mack left the first time up until, truthfully, when he came back! Anyone who remembers the Bunting years knows this team isn't anything close to that debacle. And as good as some of the teams were under Davis, the state the program was in when he left was worse than anything a moo fan could've dreamed of.

If you want to go back further, I was around in the glory days when LT roamed the gridiron, too. I remember how great some of those teams were. Then, not so much. It was a mess before Mack was hired the first time and he turned it around and made us a top 10 team. Had it not been for the AD screwing up, he probably would've stayed on and there's no telling how good the program could've been. But, it wasn't to be and those years were dang hard to watch. I almost stopped watching for many years it was so bad.

Regardless, I am not making excuses for yesterday's loss. Truthfully, I blame the coaches. They had a beautiful chance to win when we held them scoreless in OT. All they had to do is line up inside the 20 and kick the FG. Play calling was suspect more than once throughout the game. Defense never seemed to adjust to what VT was doing, especially when they switched QB's.

Still, this is better than I expected this team to be and I can see that the future is bright for this team. If some of you can't, well, then I hate it for you.

Mack appeared visibly frustrated with Longo on the sideline a few times during that game. Idk if he makes a move after this year, but better to do it early in the building process if it needs to happen.
I agree.
Personally I don't think he's a good enough OC to take us to the promised land. But to be fair its hard to objectively judge him with all of the injuries on the o-line, and the drops haven't helped either.
It is, and we once again had a few dropped balls. We have to get that corrected.
At times he made some good calls. The counter-bootleg call on the goal line for an easy TD was a good call. So was the reverse flea flicker that also resulted in the TD. But good grief some of the play calls in big moments were horrendous. Both 2 point conversion calls in overtime left a lot to be desired.
I agree on both counts. We need a lot of practice on those goal line plays.

Longo has to go. Our offense is basically Sam making special plays. Ole Miss was all too happy to let Longo walk and he is definitely not gonna be the guy to get it done here.

Longo has to go. Our offense is basically Sam making special plays. Ole Miss was all too happy to let Longo walk and he is definitely not gonna be the guy to get it done here.
We disagree on a lot of things, but we're in agreement here. Sam is a special QB and has done all he could do to help us win. I believe he deserves a better OC. It will be interesting to see if Mack takes a more active role in calling plays going forward.

We disagree on a lot of things, but we're in agreement here. Sam is a special QB and has done all he could do to help us win. I believe he deserves a better OC. It will be interesting to see if Mack takes a more active role in calling plays going forward.
Mack doesn’t know anything about the Air Raid, nor does anyone else on the staff. He’s stuck with him for now.

Our best hope is the Clay Helton is fired at the end of the year and Graham Harrell is available.

carolina is winning out

and i wondered if longo turned to mack and said “why are you calling a timeout!?”

thought being aggressive was why we were in control, then we went in a shell with some of those route combos.

Yeah that's pretty much how I've felt since the Wake game. The margin of error shrinks the further up the food chain you move in college football. We had a chance to beat the #1 team in the country and made a completely moronic play call on a 2 point conversion. Those kind of moments become more and more important as a program progresses

Reactions: ticket2ride04
carolina is winning out

and i wondered if longo turned to mack and said “why are you calling a timeout!?”

thought being aggressive was why we were in control, then we went in a shell with some of those route combos.

Being aggressive early was definitely working. He worked in some gadget plays that kept them off balance too. Then he fell back into the same routine we've seen all year. The delayed run worked on the 3rd and long early, but then he just kept running it over and over again.

Longo has some decent stuff in his playbook. But he's not a creative play caller and seems to choke in big situations when we need to punch it in.

Reactions: Archer2
Sam needs another 1 second and he will get the protection all other QBs at this level are getting then it will be interesting, but right now its a jailbreak.. I saw him play 15 times in high school, he ran for his life all 15 times.. the team he played for is getting killed in every game without him.. Better be glad we got him if he was Oklahoma or Ohio states QB he may be in line for a Heisman....

Our receivers weren't doing him any favors by not creating a lot of separation, but I agree he needed to be more aggressive at the end.

Mack knows he does not have a world of time to win another conference championship, much less another National Championship. If he has any doubts about his OC, he better change him after this season.

Even Mark May has said publicly that he thinks the deal is done for SC to hire Urban Meyer for next year. If so, Graham Harrell will need a job. However, if SC people like him, they might sweeten his deal to stay there under Urban. And it is possible that Harrell is one of those TTU guys who hates Texas and everything and everyone associated with the Longhorns.

So if Mack wants to replace Longo, he better look hard at multiple possibilities. The first one I suggest is Kevin Wilson.

The young guy I suggest, and probably would take over Wilson, is Joe Brady, who is now at LSU as Passing Game Coordinator (the OC is Steve Ensminger). Brady may be the Lincoln Riley of today: the young offensive mind who is simply the best in his age group. Brady played at William&Mary, and he grew up in FL, so he knows something about ACC country.

Reactions: ticket2ride04
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT