ADVERTISEMENT

Carolina vs Wake Gamethread

Two stupid plays to end the game. Howell has to just bat that ball down and stop the clock. And then you have to run straight out of bounds to make sure you get a shot at the Hail Mary. Wtf was Carter thinking?

Very poor clock management on that last series. Should have been one second left but still would have been tough. Team didn't quit, that part was good.

Two stupid plays to end the game. Howell has to just bat that ball down and stop the clock. And then you have to run straight out of bounds to make sure you get a shot at the Hail Mary. Wtf was Carter thinking?
At least Howell is a freshman, but Carter is a junior.

Reactions: uncboy10
Ok, there should’ve been one more play, but that was just dumb at the end. Should’ve known how much time was left. With that said, it would’ve been a monumental comeback. Still, I liked the fight in this team and can’t really complain given the way they played the last few years.

Reactions: uncfootball-
If Mack wants to build a title contender program, we need a better offensive coordinator. Longo ran the same stupid play calls the entire first half. If we score even once in the first half then we could have won that game. Tonight’s playcalling was fedora-esque

Very poor clock management on that last series. Should have been one second left but still would have been tough. Team didn't quit, that part was good.
The bold sentence is most important. This team right now is saying, 'if we had had just 30 seconds more, we'd have won.'

Getting a pass blocked right back at you is almost instinctive to catch. Carter stepped-out of bounds with time left.

There was time on the clock. This game never really ended IMO.

If Mack wants to build a title contender program, we need a better offensive coordinator. Longo ran the same stupid play calls the entire first half. If we score even once in the first half then we could have won that game. Tonight’s playcalling was fedora-esque
I wonder if Mack has put Longo on a short leash in the 1st half so as to ease Howell into games. If so, I say, take off those chains. Howell now is a proven college QB.

my final two comments on this thread

carolina got screwed on spots, carter should’ve run oob earlier, and we had one second left...play-calling was weird until it was panic mode, on both sides of the ball.

this team is good enough to go to a bowl...might not lose anymore other than clemson, that’s progress.

Reactions: strummingram
I didn't see anything but the 4th, so I will take your word, and I did watch updates on my phone and they were never in Wake territory. So, I dunno what happened in the 4th quarter that flipped the switch.

Kicking a FG on that first good drive kinda hurt, needed a TD. And, that fumble in the 1st quarter really hurt.

Big kudos to all the guys who had to step up this game because of injuries. Without them doing that, we would not have gotten back in the game.

Kudos also to Ruder. His play off the bench surely helped the offense feel that they could get it done.

Fedora would have put up 40 on wake

Reactions: franklin street
Sucks to lose, but I think everyone would have been happy with 2-1 before the season started.
Wake seems legit. But the way that game ended should cause some people to get their ass chewed. Those refs skedaddled and that's fugged-up. Every play starts with one second.

Big kudos to all the guys who had to step up this game because of injuries. Without them doing that, we would not have gotten back in the game.

Kudos also to Ruder. His play off the bench surely helped the offense feel that they could get it done.
I never saw Ruder play. What did he do???

Fedora would have put up 40 on wake

Umm, yeah. Have you actually watched UNC football the last decade? Give me a break. I wanted to give Fed as much leeway as anyone, but really? We’d have crapped our pants before the first quarter was over had fed been there. We’d have totally folded by the 3rd quarter and the fourth quarter would’ve been more than even the most die hard Tar Heel fan could stomach.

I’ve had a lot of adult beverages tonight, but I think you need to go home and sleep it off.

It really sucks to lose to Wake. Letting Wake march down the field eating up the clock and kicking the FG to go up 6 was the game. Encouraging that we never gave up, but we can't get out of the gates that slowly again and expect to win. Glad Sam got his feet back under him in the second half. We should be OK down the line especially if we get #55 back soon. It still hurts to lose.

The experienced talent on this team is too thin to make mistakes and have injuries. That fumble early was huge.. not having Strow was tough. Don't want to sound like it's excuses, just facts.

I really don't get why the refs wouldn't review the out of bounds at the end. They certainly do that in basketball all the time.
Was it reviewable though? It looked like he might have called down by forward progress. Does the clock stop when that happens?

Was it reviewable though? It looked like he might have called down by forward progress. Does the clock stop when that happens?
Yeah I think that right now that you mention it. They are saying he was stopped. Oh well it would've taken a miracle.

I wish Carter had hightailed it straight to the sidelines instead of lolly gagging though

IF forward progress was stopped then it was with 2 seconds left and a first down.. means clock stopped. Seems the refs messed up either way. But with a second left would take a hail mary to win it.

Reactions: strummingram
IF forward progress was stopped then it was with 2 seconds left and a first down.. means clock stopped. Seems the refs messed up either way. But with a second left would take a hail mary to win it.
Yep... They tried to save face on an "update" during the WSU/Houston game by explaining the forward progress ending. Well, then the clock must stop because he gained a first down, there was still time with either outcome.

I heard that update on ESPN.. that Galloway blowhard didnt mention the part where it was a first down.

Extremely low football IQ by a college junior running back in Michael Carter. Just no excuse. He runs full speed out of bounds and we get 2-3 seconds.

Extremely low football IQ by a college junior running back in Michael Carter. Just no excuse. He runs full speed out of bounds and we get 2-3 seconds.

Exactly. Don’t leave it up to the refs. He has to know to get out of bounds, and Sam has to know not to catch that deflected pass. And our offensive coordinator has to call better plays for the first three quarters so we aren’t trying to claw back into the game in the fourth quarter.

Bateman again proved he is the real deal by making halftime adjustments that shut down wake’s offense in the second half. I’m a lot less impressed by Longo so far

It was just an awful first half. Credit the guys for trying to make it a game. Hopefully the staff will iron out these problems going forward. There is a lot of fight in this team.

Well my prayers didn’t get answered tonight. I am not into moral victories and things like that but I am proud of this team for showing the fight to come back. I will say once again that we shouldn’t have put ourselves in that position to begin with. I wish we would have fought half as hard the first 2 1/2 quarters like we did the last quarter and 1/2 then we win going away. The first part of the game we just couldn’t tackle anything at all. I hope that gets corrected or this will turn into a long season after all GDTBATH. Keep fighting guys nothing is going to be easy.

Reactions: GoNtheDistance
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT