ADVERTISEMENT

Carolina vs Wake Gamethread

Exactly.
Bateman again proved he is the real deal by making halftime adjustments that shut down wake’s offense in the second half. I’m a lot less impressed by Longo so far
App St gave up 41 to Charlotte last week. That suggest that App should have weaknesses on D that Longo and Mack think we can attack hard in the 1st half. Time to let Howell loose in the 1st half.

Exactly. Don’t leave it up to the refs. He has to know to get out of bounds, and Sam has to know not to catch that deflected pass. And our offensive coordinator has to call better plays for the first three quarters so we aren’t trying to claw back into the game in the fourth quarter.

Bateman again proved he is the real deal by making halftime adjustments that shut down wake’s offense in the second half. I’m a lot less impressed by Longo so far

In response to Bateman and the D. I like the adjustments as well just not the execution (tackling) and DBs not really having any clue about how to defend the pass in the first half. I believe with the way the staff is recruiting get us while you can because in two to three years we will have a defense to be reckoned with.

App St gave up 41 to Charlotte last week. That suggest that App should have weaknesses on D that Longo and Mack think we can attack hard in the 1st half. Time to let Howell loose in the 1st half.

Even if Longo has been keeping a short leash on Sam, the play calling has still been poor. You don’t have to run the same three plays over and over again to ease a QB into the game.

But yeah, there’s no reason to come out conservatives against App St. This should be a week where the playbook gets opened up, and the offense develops a rhythm.

In response to Bateman and the D. I like the adjustments as well just not the execution (tackling) and DBs not really having any clue about how to defend the pass in the first half. I believe with the way the staff is recruiting get us while you can because in two to three years we will have a defense to be reckoned with.

Agreed on all points. The improvement on recruiting should also help us build some depth so that a few injuries won’t cripple our defense.

Take the shackles off Howell and let him play. He missed some opportunities to run and gain yardage tonight but that can be corrected. Liked what I saw in ruder tonight too in regards to running. I don’t remember too much if he had to pass or not I’ll check the stats. Feels good to have a reliable back up qb.

One thing I can say before the season started if you had told me after three games we would be 2-1 I would’ve been happy. Although we had our chances tonight to be 3-0 that’s what hurts the most. Let’s get to the next game I can’t stand to having to wait and try to get this taste out of our system/mouth.

As I've said, in previous pages, when I started watching, it was like it had picked-up right where it left off against Miami. Howell was threading needles and putting the team in a great position to win. When I was reading the game thread during the power outage, he must have really been struggling for whatever reason. I didn't see the plays at all.

I still think that fumble was the biggest factor of the game's outcome. The defense is playing much better than years past. Settling for the FG was a let-down, but that fumble allowed Wake to score again, easily. That was very costly.

Reactions: Archer2
Our "D" gave 436 yards. We put up 333 yards on them. I sure hope Bateman Longo can tighten things up. Numbers like this will not win games.

One thing I can say before the season started if you had told me after three games we would be 2-1 I would’ve been happy. Although we had our chances tonight to be 3-0 that’s what hurts the most. Let’s get to the next game I can’t stand to having to wait and try to get this taste out of our system/mouth.
I would have picked the wins being against Miami and Wake and not South Carolina. I haven't watched Wake Forest play much in at least for... ever. That delayed option thing they run seems gimmicky like the triple-option at Georgia Tech over the years. I don't think Clemson would be bothered by it.

As I've said, in previous pages, when I started watching, it was like it had picked-up right where it left off against Miami. Howell was threading needles and putting the team in a great position to win. When I was reading the game thread during the power outage, he must have really been struggling for whatever reason. I didn't see the plays at all.

I still think that fumble was the biggest factor of the game's outcome. The defense is playing much better than years past. Settling for the FG was a let-down, but that fumble allowed Wake to score again, easily. That was very costly.

It wasn’t all on him. The protection was terrible. But he missed some wide open opportunities to run, and missed a few open receivers. The play calling was worse than the QB play though, in my opinion.

Mack was very emphatic before the season began that he will hold Bateman and Longo responsible for the play of each side of the ball. Each co ordinator has to make it work with what he has. Longo will definitely start to feel some pressure from the head coach(Mack was very animated with Longo when we went 3 and out, the first possession in the second half).

For my 2 cents, Batemans game planning, prep, in game strategy, calls, and adjustments are producing winning performances over these first 3 games. Longo is lagging in his command of the offensive unit. In the first half tonite, Batemans group was fighting for their lives(we could easily been down 35-0 in the first half). The offense did not enter WF territory in the first half. His offense was totally ineffective so the defense had to try to hold up without Strowbridge in the middle.

Longo needs to get the ball in the hands of Carter, Javonte, and Antonio by way of both run and pass. If Howell has to keep dropping back for these long developing routes to materialize, he is eventually going to get injured. These running backs don't need to be decoys but workhorses. I don't remember seeing Antonio Williams once in the backfield tonite.

It wasn’t all on him. The protection was terrible. But he missed some wide open opportunities to run, and missed a few open receivers. The play calling was worse than the QB play though, in my opinion.
Well, you gotta figure that he's just a freshman and he's going to have some screw-ups. He seems pretty poised and confident, though. It's nice to have a QB that has that much potential, and is already starting as a freshman.

The offense did not enter WF territory in the first half. His offense was totally ineffective so the defense had to try to hold up without Strowbridge in the middle.
Yeah... that statistic blew my mind! As I watched game updates, it was clear that nothing was working offensively. Couldn't get first downs, or in Wake territory. That seems impossible. And, then, miraculously, the 4th quarter starts and it's like a totally different team... except, for me, it was the same as the last 2 games cuz I couldn't watch the first 3 quarters.

Agree on missing some chances to run and open receivers. As for the protection that was horrible. Hard to really establish the run without good blocking.

Wow postgame press conference outside. Come on wake you can do better than that. Could barely hear a word Mack said.

We should beat App and GT, which would be a 4-2 start including a loss to the number one team in college football. Hard to complain about that. Va Tech lost to BC who looked terrible tonight. This team can compete for the coastal, but needs to use tonight as a learning experience.

We should beat App and GT, which would be a 4-2 start including a loss to the number one team in college football. Hard to complain about that. Va Tech lost to BC who looked terrible tonight. This team can compete for the coastal, but needs to use tonight as a learning experience.
We can definitely compete, but I think we're probably a year away though.

It’s a rebuilding process people...With the Schedule we have played I am happy to be sitting at 2-1...Also keep in mind we are still 1-0 in the ACC...Wake is solid and the Coach has been there for 4 years...Give Mack 4 years and this game will be over at Halftime...

We can definitely compete, but I think we're probably a year away though.

I don’t disagree. The schedule isn’t in our favor this year but it can be a good learning experience for next year when we’re better setup to win the coastal

Reactions: tarheel0910
In a statement Saturday, league supervisor of football officials Dennis Hennigan said officials determined that UNC running back Michael Carter's forward progress had been stopped and time had elapsed. But he said a replay review would have resulted in the officials spotting the ball at the Wake Forest 43-yard line with a second left, then restarting the clock on their signal.

In a statement Saturday, league supervisor of football officials Dennis Hennigan said officials determined that UNC running back Michael Carter's forward progress had been stopped and time had elapsed. But he said a replay review would have resulted in the officials spotting the ball at the Wake Forest 43-yard line with a second left, then restarting the clock on their signal.
Wake Forest almost won the game!

In regards to their slooow zone read offense am I crazy but wouldn’t it work if you tackle both the qb and the rb? Just saying seem logical to me.

I agree....4-2 would be very good with big wins against Miami and SC....this team is very different in a positive way compared to last year.

Reactions: Littlejon
I agree....4-2 would be very good with big wins against Miami and SC....this team is very different in a positive way compared to last year.

I think we’re also better than the chokies and dook too, so if the team plays to its potential then we could be 6-2 going into the UVA game. Obviously this is all speculations but there are plenty of possible wins left on the schedule

this team is going to win enough to go to a bowl as long as the two qb’s are healthy.

i ain’t buying this game as the way to beat carolina or the norm...i am convinced wake did something different and that gigantic turnover by williams to create a catastrophic play did us in...we are young, that stuff matters.

i think this is a teaching moment and this staff is probably the best at relaying that, especially based on the 2nd half improvement...one thing is concerning though, the toughness up front on both sides...i worry that they don’t impose their will throughout games, not just drives or quarters.

this team is going to win enough to go to a bowl as long as the two qb’s are healthy.

i ain’t buying this game as the way to beat carolina or the norm...i am convinced wake did something different and that gigantic turnover by williams to create a catastrophic play did us in...we are young, that stuff matters.

i think this is a teaching moment and this staff is probably the best at relaying that, especially based on the 2nd half improvement...one thing is concerning though, the toughness up front on both sides...i worry that they don’t impose their will throughout games, not just drives or quarters.

The offensive line was really bad against wake. We need to start bringing in some big time o-line recruits to go with the d-line talent coming in next year

Reactions: gteeitup
The offensive line was really bad against wake. We need to start bringing in some big time o-line recruits to go with the d-line talent coming in next year

they might be there...edezu(or whatever) was okay, but you’re right...this line is key to this current offense.

here’s my concern with these offenses...if we are limited vertically or on the ground, we/they must recognize this and alter play selection...it was clear to us amateurs that running sluggo routes or any distance routes based on protection, that it wasn’t happening deep...if we can’t protect our thrower, why send dudes deep?...maybe they bite more on double moves, but we can’t protect, so it’s pointless...go slants and screens, make them work more.

Reactions: Archer2
they might be there...edezu(or whatever) was okay, but you’re right...this line is key to this current offense.

here’s my concern with these offenses...if we are limited vertically or on the ground, we/they must recognize this and alter play selection...it was clear to us amateurs that running sluggo routes or any distance routes based on protection, that it wasn’t happening deep...if we can’t protect our thrower, why send dudes deep?...maybe they bite more on double moves, but we can’t protect, so it’s pointless...go slants and screens, make them work more.

Yep. The play calling was terrible for exactly that reason. Longo just didn’t adjust. And there was a complete lack of creativity. Should’ve rolled Sam out more once we realized the pocket wasn’t holding up. More timing routes for quick yard would have been worth a shot. Usually if you hit a few slants and quick outs, that’s when the double move routes start to open up.

I'm almost certain I saw a #95 out there, in the 2nd half, including getting in on a tackle. And Lawless is listed as wearing 95.
someone came into the game and they had changed jerseys. thought 95 was the jersey they were wearing.
not certain though.
why do players have to change numbers during a game?

someone came into the game and they had changed jerseys. thought 95 was the jersey they were wearing.
not certain though.
why do players have to change numbers during a game?

Sometimes guys have to do it for special teams because there can’t be two of the same number on the field at the same time. But sometimes one number will be taken by a guy on offense and a different guy on defense.

Only other reason I can think of is a torn jersey or blood on the jersey.

Reactions: franklin street
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT