ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Cornell

I just can't wrap my head around the suicide thing. A former students did that a few weeks ago. I just don't get it.
What's not to understand? If emotional pain gets bad enough, it becomes so overwhelming that folks can't do anything in their daily life without feeling mental agony. They can't do even the most mundane activity like reading the paper or driving to the store without their mind mercilessly fixating on whatever it is that's causing them pain. Thus the turn to drugs and alcohol -- to silence the demons in their mind.

Suicide used to seem like a make believe, throwaway thing to me.... until the brother of a loved one killed himself. You see it joked about all the time in TV shows and movies. A character will put a finger gun to his head and pull the trigger. Stuff like that.

But it's a very real thing and it's a very terrible, heavy thing. I agree with @heelbent. Imagine the absolute mental anguish a grown adult must be in to take his own life. This isn't a 14-year-old who isn't yet mature enough to even grasp mortality and life and being alive. This is a grown man in his 50s who has traveled the world, fathered children, loved, lived, lost, won, profited, touched millions of lives, etc. And yet he was suffering so greatly from some inner anguish that he took his own life.

Terrible.

What's not to understand? If emotional pain gets bad enough, it becomes so overwhelming that folks can't do anything in their daily life without feeling mental agony. They can't do even the most mundane activity like reading the paper or driving to the store without their mind mercilessly fixating on whatever it is that's causing them pain. Thus the turn to drugs and alcohol -- to silence the demons in their mind.

Suicide used to seem like a make believe, throwaway thing to me.... until the brother of a loved one killed himself. You see it joked about all the time in TV shows and movies. A character will put a finger gun to his head and pull the trigger. Stuff like that.

But it's a very real thing and it's a very terrible, heavy thing. I agree with @heelbent. Imagine the absolute mental anguish a grown adult must be in to take his own life. This isn't a 14-year-old who isn't yet mature enough to even grasp mortality and life and being alive. This is a grown man in his 50s who has traveled the world, fathered children, loved, lived, lost, won, profited, touched millions of lives, etc. And yet he was suffering so greatly from some inner anguish that he took his own life.

Terrible.
Well said.

Reactions: strummingram
What's really sad is that the lead singers of four of the biggest "grunge" era bands are gone now... all way too young.

Nirvana - Kurt Cobain (27)
Alice In Chains - Layne Stanley (34)
STP - Scott Weiland (48)
Soundgarden - Chris Cornell (52)

All of these dudes dealt with major drug issues and depression.

What's really sad is that the lead singers of four of the biggest "grunge" era bands are gone now... all way too young.

Nirvana - Kurt Cobain (27)
Alice In Chains - Layne Stanley (34)
STP - Scott Weiland (48)
Soundgarden - Chris Cornell (52)

All of these dudes dealt with major drug issues and depression.
Andrew Wood of Mother Love Bone

Reactions: HEELS1984
I had a good friend commit suicide, will be 12 years ago this July, we hung out that day and night before he did it, he tried calling me at 2:30 am on my cell phone but I didn't get the call, still haunts me to this day and will for the rest of my life

I had a good friend commit suicide, will be 12 years ago this July, we hung out that day and night before he did it, he tried calling me at 2:30 am on my cell phone but I didn't get the call, still haunts me to this day and will for the rest of my life
Wow I'm so sorry. Very similar story with the loved one of my friend. He tried to call his brother but both live in rural areas and he couldn't get the call to go through. Friends of the family literally arrived at his home to take his firearms 5 minutes after he had already pulled the trigger.

Wow I'm so sorry. Very similar story with the loved one of my friend. He tried to call his brother but both live in rural areas and he couldn't get the call to go through. Friends of the family literally arrived at his home to take his firearms 5 minutes after he had already pulled the trigger.

Yeah suicide is a terrible thing, I hung out with my friend from like 5 pm until midnight that day, he was in a great mood, never would have guessed anything was wrong

Yeah suicide is a terrible thing, I hung out with my friend from like 5 pm until midnight that day, he was in a great mood, never would have guessed anything was wrong
That's often how it happens. Rarely it is evident to others that something major is wrong leading up to it.

I've been fortunate that no loved ones or friends have gone down that path. I feel for you guys that have had someone in your life make that choice.
Ultimately who it impacts the most, obviously, is the loved one and family that the victim leaves behind. It creates permanent scars, "what if's," doubt, regrets, etc. that the friends and family will never recover from. The person I referred to before... it absolutely broke his mother after he took his life. To the point she relapsed into past health problems and nearly died.

But at the same time, you can't really blame the victim for not thinking of the ramifications of his actions before he takes his own life. As has been mentioned, the inner demons are so bad by that point that he can't even think of anything except "I need out." It's just an awful thing.

Andrew Wood of Mother Love Bone

Yeah, he was the first. There was the Blind Melon dude and Hutchence from INXS, though neither of those were grunge. Then SRV and others that all had music I listened to growing up.

Yeah, he was the first. There was the Blind Melon dude and Hutchence from INXS, though neither of those were grunge. Then SRV and others that all had music I listened to growing up.
Speaking of Blind Melon, I can't find it now but I remember reading somewhere that Chris Cornell often wore a necklace made for him by Blind Melon singer Shannon Hoon before he died of a cocaine overdose.

The irony of course being apparent since ultimately Cornell's life was also ravished by drug abuse.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how you hang yourself with a headband and your body is found on the floor with blood coming out of your mouth. Good thing I'm not a forensics investigator.

I'm not sure how you hang yourself with a headband and your body is found on the floor with blood coming out of your mouth. Good thing I'm not a forensics investigator.
Where did you see headband? From what I read it was an exercise band attached to a carabiner jammed in the door.

Imagine the anguish going through one's head that allows one to set up such a crude death apparatus.
Yeah, he obviously had some major problems and it makes you wonder if he was getting the help he needed. Mental health in this country isn't talked about that much and that causes a stigma to be associated with it. That stigma keeps a lot of people from seeking the help they need. I've had someone very close to me try to kill themselves. Luckily they were unsuccessful, but needless to say it opened my eyes to the fact that a section of society isn't getting the attention it deserves.

My bad.

I'm surprised there's no implication of the auto-erotic asphyxiation thing.
I've seen douche bags on messages boards say that's what it was, but nothing yet from the media.

ETA: I'm not talking about you. I've seen it on other boards where people were saying that's what happened without evidence to support it.

I've seen douche bags on messages boards say that's what it was, but nothing yet from the media.

ETA: I'm not talking about you. I've seen it on other boards where people were saying that's what happened without evidence to support it.
Well, if that's what happened, it wouldn't be a surprise given the way he was found. I suppose it depends on how those you're hearing about are portraying it when they say that is what happened. There's nothing "wrong" about checking-out of this life that way. My guess is that it's one of the better ways to go, actually. Reminds me of Richard Pryor talking about how his father died. "My father died fvckin'! He came and went at the same time." Mark me down for that exit strategy.

Well, if that's what happened, it wouldn't be a surprise given the way he was found. I suppose it depends on how those you're hearing about are portraying it when they say that is what happened. There's nothing "wrong" about checking-out of this life that way. My guess is that it's one of the better ways to go, actually. Reminds me of Richard Pryor talking about how his father died. "My father died fvckin'! He came and went at the same time." Mark me down for that exit strategy.
My issue is with people who say that is what it was without evidence. It kind of pushes to the side how big of a problem suicide and mental health is.

My issue is with people who say that is what it was without evidence. It kind of pushes to the side how big of a problem suicide and mental health is.
Ahhh, yeah. I know the guy has had a rough time most of his adult life with drug addiction.

Ahhh, yeah. I know the guy has had a rough time most of his adult life with drug addiction.
Yeah, looking back it's something that people probably should have seen coming. Drug addiction and mental health issues usually go hand in hand. When you combine that with most of his lyrics, it's almost not a surprise that he would do something like this.

Yeah, he obviously had some major problems and it makes you wonder if he was getting the help he needed. Mental health in this country isn't talked about that much and that causes a stigma to be associated with it. That stigma keeps a lot of people from seeking the help they need. I've had someone very close to me try to kill themselves. Luckily they were unsuccessful, but needless to say it opened my eyes to the fact that a section of society isn't getting the attention it deserves.

i've learned that people can seem as though they have their shit together, but on the inside it's a constant battle...i make it a point, as trivial as it may seem, to ask everyone i come in contact with "how are they doing" along with the "hello" or "what's up?"...sometimes that's all it takes, just acknowledging the person.

this girl(our former babysitter) suffers from mild depression and she has some anxiety issues...she said these words that must help her cope with things from time to time; "it's okay to not be okay."

Reactions: tarheel0910
Toxicology report is showing that he had a bunch of drugs in his system including barbiturates. I don't think it's surprising to anyone that he relapsed given what had already been reported by the media. Hopefully this can help raise some awareness for mental health and substance abuse.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT