ADVERTISEMENT

Do We Need Another Proven 3-Point Shooter?

What Would Jesus Do?

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2010
We have RJ back (39.8% on 284 attempts) and we added Cade Tyson (46.5% on 172 attempts), but we lost Harrison (38.5% on 169 attempts) and Cormac (35.4% on 212 attempts)

If you strip away the creampuffs from Cade Tyson's numbers, his average drops to 39.4% or 39.8%, depending on what you call a creampuff.

My guess is that we could get 12-13 ppg from Cade on maybe 38% shooting. Reflecting that we played 17 games against top-50 teams this year while Belmont faced only 3.

Some might say my guess is optimistic. Others might think Cade could do even better because he'll be playing alongside RJ. But he played alongside several decent 3-pt shooters at Belmont, and we don't have Ingram and Ryan any more.

That's why I think we may need another 3-point shooter. Both RJ and Cade need another threat on the floor.

Do we already have what we need...?
  • Withers shot 41.7% from deep 2 years ago at Louisville. But fell to 20% on just 20 shots this year.
  • Trimble improved to a sweet 41.9% from deep this year, but only took 31 shots, and never showed confidence.
  • Washington wowed us with 53.3% 3-pt shooting, but on a mere 15 attempts.
  • We also have a couple of hot shot freshmen, but are they 3-pt threats as frosh?
Is that good enough? Surely 1 or 2 of those guys will deliver, right? But are we confident enough of that to stay pat?

We have RJ back (39.8% on 284 attempts) and we added Cade Tyson (46.5% on 172 attempts), but we lost Harrison (38.5% on 169 attempts) and Cormac (35.4% on 212 attempts)

If you strip away the creampuffs from Cade Tyson's numbers, his average drops to 39.4% or 39.8%, depending on what you call a creampuff.

My guess is that we could get 12-13 ppg from Cade on maybe 38% shooting. Reflecting that we played 17 games against top-50 teams this year while Belmont faced only 3.

Some might say my guess is optimistic. Others might think Cade could do even better because he'll be playing alongside RJ. But he played alongside several decent 3-pt shooters at Belmont, and we don't have Ingram and Ryan any more.

That's why I think we may need another 3-point shooter. Both RJ and Cade need another threat on the floor.

Do we already have what we need...?
  • Withers shot 41.7% from deep 2 years ago at Louisville. But fell to 20% on just 20 shots this year.
  • Trimble improved to a sweet 41.9% from deep this year, but only took 31 shots, and never showed confidence.
  • Washington wowed us with 53.3% 3-pt shooting, but on a mere 15 attempts.
  • We also have a couple of hot shot freshmen, but are they 3-pt threats as frosh?
Is that good enough? Surely 1 or 2 of those guys will deliver, right? But are we confident enough of that to stay pat?
What you didn’t mention is all of those guys that are coming back will be a year older, more experienced, smarter and just better all around. I think everyone could improve, with the exception of RJ and he’ll hopefully be better at decision making himself.

Not unless he's 6'11, 255lbs. and jumps out of the gym.

Got any of those laying around?😂
Are you saying you think we have enough 3-pt shooting already?

I'd like to think so. And it could turn out to be true. But I'm not confident.

If Hubert thinks we don't need a good stretch 4, with emphasis on the stretch, I'll feel better. And I had talked myself into thinking we could stop after getting Omoryi - until I looked more closely at the numbers in the OP.

I can see not going after a hot-shooting SG, or smallish SF. We don't want another Wilcher episode, after all. And even if nobody bolts, that creates a logjam. But we don't have that problem going after a good-shooting PF, imo.

Are you saying you think we have enough 3-pt shooting already?

I'd like to think so. And it could turn out to be true. But I'm not confident.

If Hubert thinks we don't need a good stretch 4, with emphasis on the stretch, I'll feel better. And I had talked myself into thinking we could stop after getting Omoryi - until I looked more closely at the numbers in the OP.

I can see not going after a hot-shooting SG, or smallish SF. We don't want another Wilcher episode, after all. And even if nobody bolts, that creates a logjam. But we don't have that problem going after a good-shooting PF, imo.
Wwjd, I was just having fun.

I do think we could use a stretch for who can pop the three, but that by far, our biggest need is the five.

I definitely do not think we should go anywhere near another, two or three in that we have the makings of a log jam there already.

Wwjd, I was just having fun.

I do think we could use a stretch for who can pop the three, but that by far, our biggest need is the five.

I definitely do not think we should go anywhere near another, two or three in that we have the makings of a log jam there already.
Mine wasn't an either-or proposition - a big OR a shooter. We all agree we want a big.

I'm mainly thinking about after we add Omoruyi (or another big). I think we may still need more shooting, and a PF who can hit from deep might be what the doctor ordered. Even adding a true center leaves us uncertain about our front court, and lacking in proven shooting.

We might be fine. And either way it will be fun to see what Hubert does with the new team. But I'd like to reduce the gamble a little.

Mine wasn't an either-or proposition - a big OR a shooter. We all agree we want a big.

I'm mainly thinking about after we add Omoruyi (or another big). I think we may still need more shooting, and a PF who can hit from deep might be what the doctor ordered. Even adding a true center leaves us uncertain about our front court, and lacking in proven shooting.

We might be fine. And either way it will be fun to see what Hubert does with the new team. But I'd like to reduce the gamble a little.
I guess in my scenario, adding a quality big allows Washington and Withers time at the 4. Washington has shown he can hit the three and Withers has shown it, although not as much last season.

I guess in my scenario, adding a quality big allows Washington and Withers time at the 4. Washington has shown he can hit the three and Withers has shown it, although not as much last season.
You're not wrong. But I'm thinking back to when we had 2 unproved bigs (Manley and Huffman) and many here felt that was good enough. Fortunately we also got Garrison Brooks, who was barely good enough. That year was a struggle. Not awful, but a struggle. Imagine if we had done as some wanted and saved that scholarship.

I look at our front line guys for potential shooters and think "we could be perfectly fine, but I'd like better odds."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT