ADVERTISEMENT

E J Montgomery

Lol, yep everything's a conspiracy to slander Roy. Clearly I have it out for him, as noted by the many times I've praised and defended him.

I don't care if you go back to show what I post or not. I've stayed consistent. Much more than I can say for others

Because you JUST asked me why I was bringing up old news when you do the very same? Jesus dude. o_O
Speaking of Jesus, happy Easter to ALL!

So is the consensus that we are fairly likely to get Bacot now? Would be great; what changed for him? All I heard before is he was a dook fan and lock to go there.

That's not the story he tells.

He goes in depth on his recruitment on the BS Podcast. In summary, we screwed up and let him visit Texas.
Wasn't it always that Durant wanted to commit but we wanted to keep the scholarship open for Wright who we had higher rated and we felt good about committing here? So Durant ended up going to Texas.

Didn’t say anywhere that the program is struggling. We just aren’t the top 15 draft pick factory we used to be. I actually prefer players that stay 4 years and develop like Brice.

Yeah but Brice was a top 30ish recruit.... UNC still needs the top talent to compete for a title. This year only Berry and Pinson were MCDAA on the roster. In 2017 when they won the title, they had 6 MCDAA, with only 1 one and done. Pinson, Berry, Jackson, Meeks, Hicks, and Bradley were all very highly rated recruits. The last two classes are what have hurt UNC, with Woods, Robinson, Manley, Brooks... That's what 2 top 100 players?

Wasn't it always that Durant wanted to commit but we wanted to keep the scholarship open for Wright who we had higher rated and we felt good about committing here? So Durant ended up going to Texas.

No, the truth is Durant wanted to commit to UNC, he wanted to play with his bud Ty Lawson in college but Durant was not able to get thru our admissions and from I was told was brought to tears when that happened. Such a thing is going to be embarrassing and you would expect him to change the story now but in any event that is what happened and it was not a huge secret.

When it comes to Wright, everyone expected us to get Durant but no one really expected B Wright (everyone thought it was gonna be duke), even Roy, but that happened when it was clear Durant was not going to get in to UNC Wright was feeling a bit slow played by duke and decided F it, I'll show them what they get when they slow play me, he committed to Roy! Classic case of you have to show them the love or they spit the hook, like the kid we had in the bag that ended up at Indiana (Vonleh).

Yeah but Brice was a top 30ish recruit.... UNC still needs the top talent to compete for a title. This year only Berry and Pinson were MCDAA on the roster. In 2017 when they won the title, they had 6 MCDAA, with only 1 one and done. Pinson, Berry, Jackson, Meeks, Hicks, and Bradley were all very highly rated recruits. The last two classes are what have hurt UNC, with Woods, Robinson, Manley, Brooks... That's what 2 top 100 players?
Woods, Robinson, and Bradley were all top 60 recruuts

Reactions: dtodd4475
Wright was a Duke lock according to all the experts.

Well if Seventh and B Rob were top 60 recruits BEFORE signing with unc then scouts oughta be fired
That’s not fair to say on either of these kids. Seventh has been injured his first two years and BRob has shown flashes of breaking through. BRob has to get strength. It’s ok he is skinny ( I mean Michael was the skinny kid from Wilmington) but he has to be able to play through these bumps and hedges. BRob to me has a very high ceiling also if he just gets the playing time to get aclimated to the game. Seventh is such a gifted athlete. However with injuries this has hurt his over all development not only physically but mentally. Plus he is a combo guard asking to play PG. Huge responsibility in Chapel Hill especially.

Well if Seventh and B Rob were top 60 recruits BEFORE signing with unc then scouts oughta be fired
Or maybe they just needed to go to a weaker team in a weaker league where they could get 30 minutes per game.

Hard to say with 7th because of his injuries, but I honestly believe BRob would be lighting it up by now if he were getting 20+ minutes per game. He's had a few games where he seems to relax a little and things start to click. That's why I'm saying that. He has a great shot. Just needs to feel comfortable enough to take his shots in the flow of the game.

It's great for us that we have Nas and Coby coming in, but where does that leave guys like BRob?

It's great for us that we have Nas and Coby coming in, but where does that leave guys like BRob?

It leaves him with a great opportunity to work his tail off this summer and improve his game and his physical strength. If he does those things he will likely see more PT.

Oh, and back on topic - EJ Montgomery is a dook lock. There is no way he is coming to UNC. You hear me EJ?? I dare you to come to UNC! : )

Anyone see this?

https://northcarolina.rivals.com/news/mcd-s-prospects-predict-where-e-j-montgomery-will-go

They asked the McD AA kids where they thought EJ would go, and UNC got several predictions. Besides Nassir and Coby, Romeo Langford and Oregon-bound Louis King both guessed the Heels. There's plenty of UK and Duke picks too, but at least there doesn't seem to be a consensus yet amongst his peers.

I also thought it was pretty odd, this is Langford's quote:

“I feel like he fits well in there and coach Williams is doing a good job recruiting him. Who wouldn’t want to play there?”

Well... you apparently, dude. Haha.

“I feel like he fits well in there and coach Williams is doing a good job recruiting him. Who wouldn’t want to play there?”

I think we'd've had a much better shot at Langford with a different roster composition. But on the wing we'll likely have:

Kenny (~30 mins)
Cam (~25 mins)
Nassir (~25 mins)

...and that adds up to 80 minutes. Some of those will be Little at the 4, but we also haven't added in Platek and Robinson yet. If we got Langford he'd find his minutes, but he'd be squeezing into a tight situation.

If Cam left it'd be a different story.

Last edited:

I think we'd've had a much better shot at Langford with a different roster composition. But on the wing we'll likely have:

Kenny (~30 mins)
Cam (~25 mins)
Nassir (~25 mins)

...and that adds up to 80 minutes. Some of those will be Little at the 4, but we also haven't added in Platek and Robinson yet. If we got Langford he'd find his minutes, but he'd be squeezing into a tight situation.

If Cam left it'd be a different story.
Sure, and I agree he was likely put off by the fit here somewhat. Still, it's an off-putting quote considering he eliminated us. We also still don't know if Cam is coming back, and without him Kenny, Nas, and Romeo could make a great rotation on the wing spots.

We also still don't know if Cam is coming back, and without him Kenny, Nas, and Romeo could make a great rotation on the wing spots.

Cam leaving and us somehow snagging Langford is one of those fringe scenarios I ponder on my way home from work. Now that would be a fascinating roster. Lot of mouths to feed!

Reactions: gauchoheel
Cam leaving and us somehow snagging Langford is one of those fringe scenarios I ponder on my way home from work. Now that would be a fascinating roster. Lot of mouths to feed!
Not going to happen as long as Kenny Williams is a returning starter.

Romeo is 100% one and done and is only looking places he absolutely starts from day 1. Even if he is better than Kenny, that is not a guarantee here. Thus, he will not be at UNC. A lot of people forget the reason UK and Duke get a lot of these classes is that they have so much turnover.

Not going to happen as long as Kenny Williams is a returning starter.

Romeo is 100% one and done and is only looking places he absolutely starts from day 1. Even if he is better than Kenny, that is not a guarantee here. Thus, he will not be at UNC. A lot of people forget the reason UK and Duke get a lot of these classes is that they have so much turnover.

He wouldn't start over Kenny, but he'd play 25+ minutes easily. He'd basically take all of the minutes Cam will get if he returns.

It's not happening either way, but he'd play plenty and get drafted as high as his play warranted. Devin Booker never started for Kentucky.

He wouldn't start over Kenny, but he'd play 25+ minutes easily. He'd basically take all of the minutes Cam will get if he returns.

It's not happening either way, but he'd play plenty and get drafted as high as his play warranted. Devin Booker never started for Kentucky.
Romeo wants to start and be the man. He don't care about 25 off the bench.

Romeo was put off when at late nite a lot of the students didn't recognize him. Or should I say his dad was put off. I was at late nite. Maybe the Langfords didn't know that the NCAA had just cleared us that day. Maybe they didn't realize the students were a little busy celebrating the dropping of a Nation championship banner. Whatever the case they didn't like that Romeo didn't get a lot of love from the student section. That is why IU pulled him onto the court, and started a we want Langford chant. Even though I am pretty sure they broke all kinds of recruiting rules when they did it.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Sure, and I agree he was likely put off by the fit here somewhat. Still, it's an off-putting quote considering he eliminated us. We also still don't know if Cam is coming back, and without him Kenny, Nas, and Romeo could make a great rotation on the wing spots.
That is why the same quote can have totally different meanings depending on each person and their interpretation. I take that as a very positive and classy quote from the kid. I hear "great school, coach, atmosphere, etc." Wasn't the ideal fit for him, but he shows a great deal of respect for the school.

Romeo was put off when at late nite a lot of the students didn't recognize him. Or should I say his dad was put off. I was at late nite. Maybe the Langfords didn't know that the NCAA had just cleared us that day. Maybe they didn't realize the students were a little busy celebrating the dropping of a Nation championship banner. Whatever the case they didn't like that Romeo didn't get a lot of love from the student section. That is why IU pulled him onto the court, and started a we want Langford chant. Even though I am pretty sure they broke all kinds of recruiting rules when they did it.
Romeo has had a cult like following in Indiana. Everywhere he plays, thousands following, chanting IU, lines after games for autographs, scalped tickets, etc. He is very aware of it before, during, and after his visit. Not sure if that is positive or negative to Langford. I don't think much either way, he is choosing on what the best fit is for him and his game, not fans reactions.

Romeo has had a cult like following in Indiana. Everywhere he plays, thousands following, chanting IU, lines after games for autographs, scalped tickets, etc. He is very aware of it before, during, and after his visit. Not sure if that is positive or negative to Langford. I don't think much either way, he is choosing on what the best fit is for him and his game, not fans reactions.
That may be, but his dad and him both made a statement about how they were surprised at the lack of love from the student section

Last edited:
Gotcha but do you honestly think he didn't know. That's like saying patino didn't know his assistant was buying hookers for recruits. Or Miller didn't know his top assistant was dirty... Come on man
Yeah, that's fair. I just would have phrased it differently. If I had just gotten four job offers from Company A, B, C, and D, and I rejected company A, I wouldn't say "Who wouldn't want to work at Company A?". But yeah, whatever. He's a kid and it's really not important, I just thought it was funny.

That may be, but his dad and him both made a statement about how they were surprised at the lack of love from the student section
He's still considering Vandy right? I'd be surprised if their students were that up to date on basketball recruiting, even given their class this year. Those guys weren't committed pre-season either.

That may be, but his dad and him both made a statement about how they were surprised at the lack of live from the student section
Yeah, that's fair. I just would have phrased it differently. If I had just gotten four job offers from Company A, B, C, and D, and I rejected company A, I wouldn't say "Who wouldn't want to work at Company A?". But yeah, whatever. He's a kid and it's really not important, I just thought it was funny.

He's still considering Vandy right? I'd be surprised if their students were that up to date on basketball recruiting, even given their class this year. Those guys weren't committed pre-season either.
I hear ya, that makes sense. I see it more like multiple girls ask you to prom. Someone asks you about another guy thinking about going to the prom with one of the girls you declined. "She's a great girl, I think that would be awesome, any guy would be lucky to have her as his date". Classy response, even though he will be choosing one of the others that is a better fit for him personally.

I don't remember it being Durant or Wright.

I remember Wright bring a Duke lock and the belief from Clint that it was whoever committed first between Wright and Thaddeus Young. This was when Tar Heel Radar was separate from Rivals. Thad was actually on that board and ended up having an interview with Clint on the board.

Am I mistaken or wasn’t Durant wanting to go to UK? Thought I read something back in the day saying he wanted to go to UK but Tubby passed on him because of concerns the UK staff had. I don’t remember much about him and UNC.

You have a bad memory.

Wright was the shocker but Young was slow playing Roy even though he wanted to come to UNC Wright stole his spot not Durantes.

Reactions: TheGLOV
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT