ADVERTISEMENT

How will UNC defend against the Spartans three upper class men guards?

IDUNK4HEELS

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2004
kernersville nc
Hoggard, Atkinson and Walker who one is a junior, one is a senior and the other Walker is a graduate student average about 40 points a game with Walker leading with 18 ppg.,

The big problem is that two of that trio are 6’4 and the other is 6’1., Anyone who watched the Mississippi State game watched those three guards go off shooting threes and driving to the hole with no problems.

If Carolina has one problem that has bothered them all season is that their guards are small and teams have constantly attacked them with success.

I would not be surprised at all if Trimble gets a ton of time because of his height and defense and I would not be surprised to see Ryan playing at two allowing Withers to play up front with Ingram playing the three.

Michigan State like most Big ten teams are very physical and Withers should be able to help Bacot rebound both offensively and defensively.

I would prefer NOT to have Cadeau out of the lineup because of his passing skills but sometimes match ups make more sense especially in this case.

Hoggard, Atkinson and Walker who one is a junior, one is a senior and the other Walker is a graduate student average about 40 points a game with Walker leading with 18 ppg.,

The big problem is that two of that trio are 6’4 and the other is 6’1., Anyone who watched the Mississippi State game watched those three guards go off shooting threes and driving to the hole with no problems.

If Carolina has one problem that has bothered them all season is that their guards are small and teams have constantly attacked them with success.

I would not be surprised at all if Trimble gets a ton of time because of his height and defense and I would not be surprised to see Ryan playing at two allowing Withers to play up front with Ingram playing the three.

Michigan State like most Big ten teams are very physical and Withers should be able to help Bacot rebound both offensively and defensively.

I would prefer NOT to have Cadeau out of the lineup because of his passing skills but sometimes match ups make more sense especially in this case.
ID, I swear I hope the answer to your question is not POORLY ! Our guards have faced bigger guards all season and it always comes down to doing their job for all 5 guys (trusting) and doing it EARLY. Do early work like really working to deny both the pass and the catch before a guard gets down hill on them, not turning your back to the ball, strong verbal communication on switches, don't auto switch but switch when absolutely needed. And the other thing is make them work on our offensive end so they have to find spots to rest on their offensive end.

Reactions: RHFD
I just hope we don’t play drop zone on pick and rolls at first and let their guards get in a rhythm with easy pull up elbow jumpers…I’d like us to come out aggressive, hedge hard, and even trap here and there! I doubt Hubert will do that though…he loves that drop defense for some reason and rarely changes out of it

I don't think Izzo's 4 and 5 are really deadly outside shooters, certainly not floppakalski or PJ Hall level so there should be less reason to have our bigs go out and guard that far from the paint. IN addition, I do not see them as having a DJ Burns like big man that has that huge girth, is very physically strong, and really skilled when he gets you backed in deep with great feet. I would not so concerned that I would not play a lot of drop if the open man is a weak outside shooter.

I suspect Izzo may look to double RJ on the catch and look to force him to give up the dribble, others have tried, RJ just needs to stay patient as in pass pass Ryan splash. I am really hoping Cadeau has a good game, he is due, Ingram is due a little bit as well. We have a different guy step up every game, I suspect this game it is either Cadeau or Ingram, it could be both. Izzo may feel his big man can handle Bacot without help or as much help, we will have to see but there could be some foul trouble spring up there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT