ADVERTISEMENT

Fedora

That makes sense if you want to spend time on Franklin Street. Otherwise, consider parking in Cardinal Deck near the hospital. It's only $10 (although getting out can suck if it's a game where everyone stays until the end).
That's the reason I park over there. Easier to get out. Less traffic and I live in Va. So it's easier to get on 40 And then get off in Hillsboro to follow 86 until you get to 29 towards Lynchburg.

OK, I wasn't going to get into this, but now I am. I think some are taking the South Carolina game far too seriously. Yes, I believe we were the better team, but the better team does not always win. Some are assuming that if Hood (or someone) had just run the ball it was a guaranteed TD. Not necessarily - its a lot harder down inside the 5. BUT, the thing is, we had open receivers on those pass plays. If our QB (and this is not to start a "bash 'Quise" theme) had gotten them the ball, the play would have worked. I don't see how we can blame the coach for the quarterback misfiring. In any case, I'm very happy with our record to date, and am looking for even better things to come.

Execution cost us the sc game. Not coaching. Plus assuming we do win whats the guarantee we still win the others? We woulda been in a different mind set, maybe over confident, who knows. U r what your record says u r.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
OK, I wasn't going to get into this, but now I am. I think some are taking the South Carolina game far too seriously. Yes, I believe we were the better team, but the better team does not always win. Some are assuming that if Hood (or someone) had just run the ball it was a guaranteed TD. Not necessarily - its a lot harder down inside the 5. BUT, the thing is, we had open receivers on those pass plays. If our QB (and this is not to start a "bash 'Quise" theme) had gotten them the ball, the play would have worked. I don't see how we can blame the coach for the quarterback misfiring. In any case, I'm very happy with our record to date, and am looking for even better things to come.
yeah we failed 2x from the one with Hood against dook. One of the few failures.

The coach who is most responsible for this team's turn around is Gene Chizik. Chizik is the guy who hired the other 3 D coaches and set the tone for what we have seen. If Fedora leaves, the job should be Chizik's.

HC resume:
3-9
2-10
8-5
14-0 (Cam Newton)
8-5
3-9

GC is an amazing DC hire. As a HC...his results were so so other than the year he had superman under center. Love GC, but not he should automatically take the reigns should Fedora leave.

HC resume:
3-9
2-10
8-5
14-0 (Cam Newton)
8-5
3-9

GC is an amazing DC hire. As a HC...his results were so so other than the year he had superman under center. Love GC, but not he should automatically take the reigns should Fedora leave.
Now that all sounds good, until you ask yourself who the most accomplished football hire in UINC history is. Because of the 6 ranked teams at Maryland, 1 of them National Champ, it is Jim Tatum. #2, with no close 3rd, is Gene Chizik. He won the Broyles Award. He also coached an undefeated D for a National champ. And he won a National title as HC. That resume is amazing in terms of what UNC new football coaches have brought to Chapel Hill. Add to that Chizik having been the DC who turned around the mind set of a bunch of Losers on our D, and unless someone as accomplished as Mark Dantonio were to want the job, it would be offered to Chizik. And rightly so.

The key for Chizik is coordinators, especially OC. Auburn's offense died when Gus Malzahn left to be Ark St HC. Chizik as UNC HC with an OC like, say, Kevin Wilson, and a John Papuchis as DC, would be the best set up for a new football regime in UNC history.

Reactions: JimmyinVA
Now that all sounds good, until you ask yourself who the most accomplished football hire in UINC history is. Because of the 6 ranked teams at Maryland, 1 of them National Champ, it is Jim Tatum. #2, with no close 3rd, is Gene Chizik. He won the Broyles Award. He also coached an undefeated D for a National champ. And he won a National title as HC. That resume is amazing in terms of what UNC new football coaches have brought to Chapel Hill. Add to that Chizik having been the DC who turned around the mind set of a bunch of Losers on our D, and unless someone as accomplished as Mark Dantonio were to want the job, it would be offered to Chizik. And rightly so.

The key for Chizik is coordinators, especially OC. Auburn's offense died when Gus Malzahn left to be Ark St HC. Chizik as UNC HC with an OC like, say, Kevin Wilson, and a John Papuchis as DC, would be the best set up for a new football regime in UNC history.

I can agree with that because I've always maintained that HC's are only as good as their coordinators. We've clearly seen that at UNC under Davis and Fedora. Love Gene but his HC record scares me. Has he made bad choices in staff hires at his HC gigs? I honestly don't know. I just know his results many years as a HC were suspect. As long as he doesn't hire Shoop as OC ;)

The coach who is most responsible for this team's turn around is Gene Chizik. Chizik is the guy who hired the other 3 D coaches and set the tone for what we have seen. If Fedora leaves, the job should be Chizik's.
Did gene hire the assts or did fedora? I know gene zero connection to them prior to this yr, so assumed that fed cultivated the staff not gene.

Did gene hire the assts or did fedora? I know gene zero connection to them prior to this yr, so assumed that fed cultivated the staff not gene.
My understanding is that Chizik hired based on what he thought he could do and not any pre-existing relationships. Pretty good endorsement of hiring based on merit

My understanding is that Chizik hired based on what he thought he could do and not any pre-existing relationships. Pretty good endorsement of hiring based on merit
Correct. He knew none of the 3 before interviewing. He had never worked with any of them nor had anyone close to him worked with any of them. Chizik surveyed our needs on D and sought the best coaches to help him solve the problems.

If that D coaching quartet stays together, they could be recognized next year as among the 2 or 3 best in the country.

Warren was a player the 2 years that Fedora coached at Air Force, but I don't think Fediora ever worked with any of them. It is the Zook coaching tree on D that Fedora knew well and relied on at USM and when he got to Chapel Hill.

Papuchis was 'discovered' and mentored by Bo Pellini, who has no ties to Fedora. Tray Scott's biggest 'tie' is having been a GA at Ole Miss. The only ties to Fedora are that Gunter Brewer started at Ole Miss where his dad Billy was HC (and a former renowned player) and that Scott coached at Ark St for 2 years before Blake Anderson became HC.

The D staff is Chizik's. What Fedora did that marks great promise as HC is that he saw a deep need, one that if not addressed wisely immediately probably would get him fired within a year. He then hired the man to lead that change and allowed him to do so. Fedora delegated very wisely.

Reactions: UNC '92
Seems reasonable concerning Chizik's ability to hire a staff by evaluating needs & seeking the best people available. However, I doubt he hired them in a vacuum. In other words, you can bet Fedora had a tremendous input in the hiring process

Reactions: Raising Heel
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT