ADVERTISEMENT

fellow Southerners, what's some traditional Southern fare that you dislike

I can't stand grits or pimento cheese. Sweet potatoes suck too. I don't like anything sweet on my plate unless it's dessert, which I don't eat much of anyway. Collard greens are just okay. They're never anything I want, but if they're given to me, I'll eat them.
You're not from around here are you?...lol

Reactions: Raising Heel
There aren't many southern foods I don't like, but I'm not eating weird parts/weird animals like pig's feet, gizzards, squirrel, etc.

Oh, and pimiento cheese. ***ducks***
My grandmother and Mom used to make squirrel and dumplings after I would kill a few. They were the bomb. Rabbit salad(like chicken salad) or fried rabbit smothered in gravy is awesome as well.

Not gonna eat chitlins. Not gonna eat any chewy-arse gizzards or slimy boiled okra.

Looooove collard greens when thery're chopped and fried and turnips, too.
Ok, you finally posted a food I don't like. Chitlins...

I was about to lose all respect for you! :eek::p

I love Brunswick stew and didn't even know that lima beans, specifically, were in it haha. I just eat it without thinking what all is in it. I'm not a vegetable fan at all, so the only way I can eat them is if they're part of something, be it a sandwich, a stew, a soup, or sometimes a salad.
Bum's BBQ in Ayden makes awesome Brunswick stew, goes great with the bbq.

Anything with mayo is disgusting and lots of classic southern foods have mayo.

RH- try Palmetto Cheese. It is made with cream cheese and not mayo. Some of the best stuff in the world. But a word of caution- it is easy to eat too much and when you realize that you have, it's way too late.

If I had to pick one non-mayo food, I am going with fried green tomatoes. Bleh.
I love fried green tomatoes made at home using a batter like you would coat okra in. I've never had any in a restaurant that was fit to eat.

Reactions: heelbent
Oh, man... I forgot GRITS! The most tasteless, bland excuse for sustenance. I think I'd rather eat collards.

Oh, man... I forgot GRITS! The most tasteless, bland excuse for sustenance. I think I'd rather eat collards.
3019610.gif

Oh, man... I forgot GRITS! The most tasteless, bland excuse for sustenance.
Buddy of mine from Oregon used to rail on grits endlessly for the same reason.

I finally pointed out to him that potatoes are damn near inedible until you add salt, pepper, butter, etc. or fry them. So if you eat potatoes, you shut your damn mouth. :D

Reactions: JHVS
Buddy of mine from Oregon used to rail on grits endlessly for the same reason.

I finally pointed out to him that potatoes are damn near inedible until you add salt, pepper, butter, etc. or fry them. So if you eat potatoes, you shut your damn mouth. :D
People in Nebraska "frown upon" grits as well. What the hell, are grits not made of corn, Cornhusker state? I have changed a few minds with the help of Redeye gravy(had to bring the country ham from NC).

I'd say based on my experience, grits is probably the most common Southern cuisine that Southerners don't like. Like everything else, you gotta cook it right! And goodness gracious, you gotta add butter, and cheese if you'd like.

There's a nice steakhouse here that serves "sides" that are big enough portions to be a whole meal (which they sometimes are for me since I'm cheap) and they make a smoked gouda grits size. One of the best things I've ever eaten.....

People in Nebraska "frown upon" grits as well. What the hell, are grits not made of corn, Cornhusker state? I have changed a few minds with the help of Redeye gravy(had to bring the country ham from NC).

Exactly. Grits are a delivery system for deliciousness that you add to them. Hilarious that Yankees are frequently critical of grits yet they often eat that re-hydrated cardboard known as oatmeal....with five pounds of sugar, fruit, raisins and other things that I consider part of a well balanced sacrilegious breakfast added into it.

Reactions: nctransplant
I can't trust a man that doesn't eat Southern napalm. It's like mother's milk. Pretty sure the manna that got the Jews through the wilderness was actually grits...

Last edited:
I enjoy most southern food. I dislike almost all pies (do like pecan pie, especially the cheescake pecan pie my wife makes) so those would be out and I don't like sweet potato at all.

My favorites would be cornbread (especially sweet cornbread), grits, fried anything, biscuits smothered in butter and syrup, deviled eggs, and drop dumplings.

Cornbread should be made in a black skillet with hot grease so that the bottom soaks it up and makes it hard and crispy delicious. Then must be slathered with butter and honey or some fresh apple butter.
You are correct.

I love boiled peanuts. Somebody was telling me a couple weeks ago that you can make 'em in a crockpot - the trick is adding the right amount of salt. I might just have to give it a try.

@THN11, How so?

When the fat guy witness is on the stand, Vinny challenges his being able to make non-instant grits in 5 minutes - the time he says it took to make his breakfast when the two utes were in the store.

I don't mess up.

@THN11, How so?

When the fat guy witness is on the stand, Vinny challenges his being able to make non-instant grits in 5 minutes - the time he says it took to make his breakfast when the two utes were in the store.

I don't mess up.
The image wasn't showing up. It just said "
" with no picture showing.

I meant you had messed up inserting the image. I didn't mean you messed up the application/appropriateness of said image

Technique for boiling peanuts.... Wash green peanuts several times to rid of dirt. Cover in a pot of water. Doesn't matter how much as long as it is completely covered. Start to boil. Add salt and or other seasonings. Taste the water in the pot and a adjust till you have desired flavor amounts. As they cook, keep water level at same height as when you start. Boil till they are as tender as you like. Cut off stove and let sit over night.

We freeze several bushels every year for the long winter months. You must use green peanuts to do this

I love boiled peanuts. Somebody was telling me a couple weeks ago that you can make 'em in a crockpot - the trick is adding the right amount of salt. I might just have to give it a try.

I love boiled peanuts. I can eat them until you run out of them.

julez- Lemme know how that works out.

Grey- I will try yours when I get some green ones.

I am willing to forgive your bizarre love affair with Miracle Whip because deviled eggs and dumplings are both awesome.

They are both so good, though the dumplings have to be done right. I could eat deviled eggs done about any way.

I don't drink sweet tea...only unsweetened. I hate potato salad with mayo and although I love liver mush I don't like liver pudding

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT