ADVERTISEMENT

field peas and collard greens

bluetoe

Hall of Famer
Aug 14, 2012
I just realized it's that time of year, I think. Dixie Lee field peas done right with plenty of pot liquor to soak into a biscuit or piece of cornbread is maybe my very favorite food. Not far behind is collards. I know I would turn down a decent ribeye for a plate of either, partly because I can get a ribeye any time, but mostly because they're just that good.

BUT, the only way I like collards is chopped very fine. I don't know why anyone would fix collards and chop them coarsely. They don't even taste right that way. Who's with me?

I also like them mixed with mustard and/or turnip greens, and a dash of vinegary hot stuff doesn't hurt anything

I just realized it's that time of year, I think. Dixie Lee field peas done right with plenty of pot liquor to soak into a biscuit or piece of cornbread is maybe my very favorite food. Not far behind is collards. I know I would turn down a decent ribeye for a plate of either, partly because I can get a ribeye any time, but mostly because they're just that good.

BUT, the only way I like collards is chopped very fine. I don't know why anyone would fix collards and chop them coarsely. They don't even taste right that way. Who's with me?

I also like them mixed with mustard and/or turnip greens, and a dash of vinegary hot stuff doesn't hurt anything
Can't eat collards until it frosts on them if you want good collards. I grew some out here a few years ago but I get some of my hunters to bring me some every year to cook and freeze. And I miss fresh peas and butterbeans. No one grows them out here. I get them at Christmas when I go home but that's it.

Reactions: randman1
Can't eat collards until it frosts on them if you want good collards. I grew some out here a few years ago but I get some of my hunters to bring me some every year to cook and freeze. And I miss fresh peas and butterbeans. No one grows them out here. I get them at Christmas when I go home but that's it.
I forgot about the frost thing, but that isn't far away. I have to try to remember to go to the farmers market to see if they have any field peas yet. Last year I let it slip right past me.

Finally we agree on something. I could eat my weight in field peas, collards also.

Reactions: bluetoe
I don’t want them too fine or too course. I have a friend who grows field peas and we freeze a bunch every year.
that's what I might try to do this year. I don't really know how to cook them but the lady who kept me fed with those things passed away so I have to learn. She cooked country, so fat back and bacon grease and maybe lard and other stuff was involved.

that's what I might try to do this year. I don't really know how to cook them but the lady who kept me fed with those things passed away so I have to learn. She cooked country, so fat back and bacon grease and maybe lard and other stuff was involved.
Ham hock(not smoked, fresh) and lard. Little red pepper flakes, salt, pepper and sugar.

Reactions: randman1
I like the peas to not be dried out completely, if the pod rattles they are too dry. They are still good just not as good IMO.

This northerner envies your southern food. Was in Charleston a few weekends ago and just went to town on all of all of it, refused to order anything that I could just get in NYC.

I’m gonna be the contrarian here and just say that Ribeyes are better than every other thing mentioned in this thread and it isn’t even close.

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
I’m gonna be the contrarian here and just say that Ribeyes are better than every other thing mentioned in this thread and it isn’t even close.

200.gif

good thing you're from the South, she could have been named Ruta Baga.
She's from, what was then called, Leaksville, NY. The three townships of Leaksville, Spray and Draper consolidated to be called Eden. Textile towns near the VA border. I think my aunts just liked the name Dixie.

Ruta Baga would have been fun, too!

She's from, what was then called, Leaksville, NY. The three townships of Leaksville, Spray and Draper consolidated to be called Eden. Textile towns near the VA border. I think my aunts just liked the name Dixie.

Ruta Baga would have been fun, too!
I don't think many places in NY are that close to the Virginia border. Perhaps you foo pawed. I know, or at least I think, you're from above Mt. Airy.

I don't think many places in NY are that close to the Virginia border. Perhaps you foo pawed. I know, or at least I think, you're from above Mt. Airy.
Several miles southeast of Mt. Airy. There is nothing north of Mt. Airy but the Virginia border.

182 Queen. Darling Oyster. Church and Union. Magnolias.

Im familiar and have eaten at both 182 Queen and Magnolias. I don’t think either of those other two were there when I lived there.

Charleston is a top 5 food city IMO. Even the shitty places are above average.

Reactions: dadika13
Im familiar and have eaten at both 182 Queen and Magnolias. I don’t think either of those other two were there when I lived there.

Charleston is a top 5 food city IMO. Even the shitty places are above average.
My wife called it the best in the US, and we’ve hit a lot of different places known for their food. I also said top 5.

To me, if the not well known places are some of the best food you’ve ever had then I’m in. Charleston had a few of those.

The shrimp gumbo at North of Broad Street was also incredible. And that was just a place we went to for brunch cuz it was next to our hotel and we were hungover (first trip without the baby, we got after it at night).

Reactions: prlyles
My wife called it the best in the US, and we’ve hit a lot of different places known for their food. I also said top 5.

To me, if the not well known places are some of the best food you’ve ever had then I’m in. Charleston had a few of those.

The shrimp gumbo at North of Broad Street was also incredible. And that was just a place we went to for brunch cuz it was next to our hotel and we were hungover (first trip without the baby, we got after it at night).

Love S.N.O.B. Used to eat there whenever I could afford it.

Even the touristy places turn out amazing food - Hank’s, Hyman’s, etc.

Next time you go, venture out to the islands. The Boat House at Breech Inlet has great food and the best sunset views in the area. Atlanticville on Sullivan’s is also very good. And there’s a little hole-in-the-wall place in Mt. Pleasant called The Wreck that serves amazing food on red gingham tablecloths and styrofoam plates. And if you drive out in the sticks towards Awendaw/Meclellanville, you’ll find some authentic Gullah-geechee fair.

Love S.N.O.B. Used to eat there whenever I could afford it.

Even the touristy places turn out amazing food - Hank’s, Hyman’s, etc.

Next time you go, venture out to the islands. The Boat House at Breech Inlet has great food and the best sunset views in the area. Atlanticville on Sullivan’s is also very good. And there’s a little hole-in-the-wall place in Mt. Pleasant called The Wreck that serves amazing food on red gingham tablecloths and styrofoam plates. And if you drive out in the sticks towards Awendaw/Meclellanville, you’ll find some authentic Gullah-geechee fair.
I debated renting a car and doing more of the surrounding islands but decided to stay in the city for this trip. We want to go back so I think we will do the islands next time. I also want to get a round in at Kiawah.

Did a ghost tour at night which sucked. The walking tour during the day was really good, filled with the history of Charleston which you know I obviously ate up.

Great city. I wouldn’t mind if my kid went to school at College of Charleston, would enjoy visiting often.

Did a ghost tour at night which sucked.
I have done a bunch of these at various locations (the wife and kids always loved them). While some places are just better suited for such a thing (Gettysburg for example), the one common denominator for whether they are bad, just ok, or outstanding are the tour givers. Obviously, they need to be knowledgeable about the premise and claims, etc., but they also need to be capable actors and into it. It makes all the difference.

Several miles southeast of Mt. Airy. There is nothing north of Mt. Airy but the Virginia border.
I could be mistaken about where he is from, because I'm going by an exchange we had quite some time ago wherein I thought he said that he was from there. I was commenting on how beautiful it was in that area and he agreed. But I'm not wrong about there being an 'above' Mt. Airy. I've traveled that area quite a bit. It's close to the border of Va. but it isn't ON the border....unless they have incorporated more land in the last several years.

He seems to be indicating that he is from Eden, I guess. Eden is due east of Mt. Airy, and it is VERY close to the Va. border.

I could be mistaken about where he is from, because I'm going by an exchange we had quite some time ago wherein I thought he said that he was from there. I was commenting on how beautiful it was in that area and he agreed. But I'm not wrong about there being an 'above' Mt. Airy. I've traveled that area quite a bit. It's close to the border of Va. but it isn't ON the border....unless they have incorporated more land in the last several years.

He seems to be indicating that he is from Eden, I guess. Eden is due east of Mt. Airy, and it is VERY close to the Va. border.
I'm not from there... my mother was born in Leaksville, now Eden, NC. I was born in Knoxville, TN. I grew up in eastern NC, Nash County. I'm not "from" anywhere until I'm going somewhere else.

I debated renting a car and doing more of the surrounding islands but decided to stay in the city for this trip. We want to go back so I think we will do the islands next time. I also want to get a round in at Kiawah.

Did a ghost tour at night which sucked. The walking tour during the day was really good, filled with the history of Charleston which you know I obviously ate up.

Great city. I wouldn’t mind if my kid went to school at College of Charleston, would enjoy visiting often.

I used to say the same. And CoC used to have like a 4:1 girl to guy ratio. I have two boys. But it’s $50k per year. So I don’t say that anymore now that I’m just a couple years away from it.

I'm not from there... my mother was born in Leaksville, now Eden, NC. I was born in Knoxville, TN. I grew up in eastern NC, Nash County. I'm not "from" anywhere until I'm going somewhere else.
well, there you go then. But you must be familiar with the area I'm talking about or you were just blowing hot air at the time. IIRC, the discussion was mostly concerning J. E. B. Stuart, whose birthplace is Ararat Va., just across the Va. line. From Mt. Airy.

Driving into and from the mountains in Va. north of Mt. Airy is from beautiful to fairly spectacular in places

on one of my excursions to Charleston, I went out by myself one night and got into some bar-hopping deal where you had to go to (walk to) something like a dozen different designated bars and get a drink at each, and they would sign a t-shirt. If you got all 12 signatures, you were supposed to win something; but with around eight or nine signatures I got into one of the bars and started having so much fun with a crowd of local people I met that I said the hell with the contest.

I love Charleston, plus one of my sons lives there.

Just driving by C of C will make you want to miove there.

well, there you go then. But you must be familiar with the area I'm talking about or you were just blowing hot air at the time. IIRC, the discussion was mostly concerning J. E. B. Stuart, whose birthplace is Ararat Va., just across the Va. line. From Mt. Airy.

Driving into and from the mountains in Va. north of Mt. Airy is from beautiful to fairly spectacular in places
My maternal grandparents (and their families) are from Pittsylvania and Patrick County, VA... Stuart, VA is the county seat. Stuart, VA is named for JEB Stuart.

I've been up there many times... Fairystone Park

on one of my excursions to Charleston, I went out by myself one night and got into some bar-hopping deal where you had to go to (walk to) something like a dozen different designated bars and get a drink at each, and they would sign a t-shirt. If you got all 12 signatures, you were supposed to win something; but with around eight or nine signatures I got into one of the bars and started having so much fun with a crowd of local people I met that I said the hell with the contest.

I love Charleston, plus one of my sons lives there.

Just driving by C of C will make you want to miove there.

I lived in Mt. P for 4 years after college. Got married there. Loved it. Vacation every summer on Folly. My wife kind of wants to get back down that way at some point but I don’t know if can leave Virginia. I’m just slightly more of a mountains/freshwater guy than a coastal/saltwater guy.

Where does your son live?

I lived in Mt. P for 4 years after college. Got married there. Loved it. Vacation every summer on Folly. My wife kind of wants to get back down that way at some point but I don’t know if can leave Virginia. I’m just slightly more of a mountains/freshwater guy than a coastal/saltwater guy.

Where does your son live?
I don't know what the area is called but it's back toward Summerville

I used to say the same. And CoC used to have like a 4:1 girl to guy ratio. I have two boys. But it’s $50k per year. So I don’t say that anymore now that I’m just a couple years away from it.
At this point - I feel like everything is $50K. You're fortunate enough to live in a state with some of the best public schools in the country so I don't blame you if you wanted to go that route and save $100K over 4 years.

It is about 7 miles from the center of downtown Mt. Airy to Cana, VA. I don’t know how far the city limit goes but if you ask anybody who lives in the area they will say they live in Mt. Airy. You are still going through stop lights until you go into VA.

It is about 7 miles from the center of downtown Mt. Airy to Cana, VA. I don’t know how far the city limit goes but if you ask anybody who lives in the area they will say they live in Mt. Airy. You are still going through stop lights until you go into VA.
well sure. If I lived two miles outside the city limits of Raleigh, there would be traffic signals and lines painted on the paved surfaces and all that shit. If I was asked where I live I would say Raleigh because that's what would generally be true. But if pressed for more detail, I would say I live just outside Raleigh.. Duh.

Look at a map. There is land between the Va. line and Mt. Airy that is above Mt. Airy and not Mt. Airy.. That's where I had understood @strummingram to say he was from, but it turns out I was wrong about that but right about the area. And that isn't even considering that changes have occurred since he would have been there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT