ADVERTISEMENT

Gene Chizik

midline

Hall of Famer
Dec 27, 2007
Being thrown around that Gene Chizik will return for another engagement as DC at UNC. If true, we will see how this works out.

Reactions: tarheel0910
I guess I'm ok with it. Like @TarHeelMark said, it seemed like he had us going in the right direction with lower ranked recruits. It just seems like a shrug of the shoulders hire. It's definitely an upgrade, but I was kind of hoping for someone a little younger. I'll say B-. Now we just need to get rid of Searles.

Reactions: strummingram
Chizik might be too vanilla to be a top 10 D, but I think Mack is fine top 50 at this point.

Imho, if Chizik is the hire it is because he and Mack both know it is a short-term thing, Mack probably retiring soon. Chizik didn't recruit much last time and was only here part-time.

Love the Warren Charlton part :)

I am shocked and pleasantly surprised. I had hopes that Chizik would stay here the last tine, and I felt certain that his leaving doomed Fedora.

Equally important is the return of Charlton Warren. You bring him in when you need to have your DBs learn how to play their positions well.

I would've lost a lot of money on that bet.
Well, I'll fill you in. Before Chizik was hired, I was hard on the need to fire DC Vic Koenning. I said multiple times that no matter what a Fedora offense would do, that lousy Koenning D would get Fedora fired.

I was giddy at Chizik's hire, and in very short order he revived the D. I was hoping during the 2016 season that Fedora would get another job and I would have been happy with Chizik as HC and Warren as DC. I said when Chizik left that Fedora almost certainly would not be able to last long.

And I felt then that Chizik left not just to be back with his family full time all year but because he and Fedora had some kind of disagreement. I got attacked for that too.

That Chizik is coming back makes me more certain that he left the first time because of Fedora and troubles in the program he was seeing.

Chizik might be too vanilla to be a top 10 D, but I think Mack is fine top 50 at this point.

Imho, if Chizik is the hire it is because he and Mack both know it is a short-term thing, Mack probably retiring soon. Chizik didn't recruit much last time and was only here part-time.

Love the Warren Charlton part :)
Chizik has been away from coaching again, so we can't know much about how he will work out this Spring. But he is a solid DC. He knows what needs to be done, and he will demand it. I think Warren is brought in to be his right hand enforcer. And Warren will get in your face and tell you that your HS stars mean nothing after you sign - he expects hard work and endless effort.

Chizik succeed early as Auburn HC because his staff was super, especially Gus Malzahn as OC. Chizik could be a successful HC at UNC the same way: he requires a great staff. Chizik is both widely respected and easily liked. As HC he should be able to draw the assistants he wants. So, if Chizik turns the D around as he did last time, I'll support him as the next HC.

Chizik has been away from coaching again, so we can't know much about how he will work out this Spring. But he is a solid DC. He knows what needs to be done, and he will demand it. I think Warren is brought in to be his right hand enforcer. And Warren will get in your face and tell you that your HS stars mean nothing after you sign - he expects hard work and endless effort.

Chizik succeed early as Auburn HC because his staff was super, especially Gus Malzahn as OC. Chizik could be a successful HC at UNC the same way: he requires a great staff. Chizik is both widely respected and easily liked. As HC he should be able to draw the assistants he wants. So, if Chizik turns the D around as he did last time, I'll support him as the next HC.
In 5 yrs he has probably had plenty of opportunity to be an HC elsewhere.

To the previous post talking about Gene's great staff at Auburn, we all know that had little to do with their magical year. The secret to that NC year are still buried behind Pat Dye's cabin with what went on behind the scenes to get Cam to Auburn. Regardless, I like Chizik. Think he is a good coach. And if things can get turned in a very positive direction I could easily see him succeeding Mack. And who knows? That may have been part of the deal. A lot of good things have to happen, but that could be the setup

Reactions: Realfreedom
I like the fact that Chizik has enough DC and HC experience to warrant full autonomy running the defense. I don't expect Mack to be stepping on his toes. Mack should hopefully be able to focus on his CEO duties and keep stacking up the roster. There's a lot to be excited about with this move.

Chizik has already shown that his system is simple enough to provide a quick turnaround, and I think it will probably be a better fit for the personnel too. He'll have the entire spring to get these guys coached up, not to mention the first three games being against FL A&M, App, and Ga State. Those three games should be wins, and give a nice chance to break in the new D and get Maye some solid experience before we have to play the big games. If the transition goes well, then this team could have rebuilt a lot of confidence by the time ACC play kicks up. Kenan will hopefully be rocking when ND comes to town week 5.

WoadBlue - Do you think that is the long term plan, Chizik as the head coach? I think that has a good ring to it. (understand I do not want Mack to step away)

Reactions: shun1
I like the fact that Chizik has enough DC and HC experience to warrant full autonomy running the defense. I don't expect Mack to be stepping on his toes. Mack should hopefully be able to focus on his CEO duties and keep stacking up the roster. There's a lot to be excited about with this move.

Chizik has already shown that his system is simple enough to provide a quick turnaround, and I think it will probably be a better fit for the personnel too. He'll have the entire spring to get these guys coached up, not to mention the first three games being against FL A&M, App, and Ga State. Those three games should be wins, and give a nice chance to break in the new D and get Maye some solid experience before we have to play the big games. If the transition goes well, then this team could have rebuilt a lot of confidence by the time ACC play kicks up. Kenan will hopefully be rocking when ND comes to town week 5.
Y only exception is counting App as a win. They will be pointing towards this game and if the Heels are less than 100% a loss there is a likely outcome.

Why did he leave the first time? Was he part of Fedora's outgoing mess?
He and Warren both left after the 2016 season. I felt at the time that they left for reasons having to do with conflicts with Fedora and/or their impressions that things were about to turn bad.

I was seen as crazy by virtually everyone else, and the worst case indeed came true.

That they came back together is very telling.

Reactions: heelfan1961
WoadBlue - Do you think that is the long term plan, Chizik as the head coach? I think that has a good ring to it. (understand I do not want Mack to step away)
It may be. Unlike Muschamp, Mack really liked Chizik.

I think at the Mayo Bowl Mack looked very tired and befuddled. I think it has hit him that he may not have the energy to be HC until he is 75. If he feels that is likely, then the responsible tbhing is to see if he can arrange for a successor that he thinks is the kind of man to lead the program. Gene Chizik is that kind of man.

And Charleton Warren is the kind of man Chizik would want to be DC if he is HC.

Reactions: heelfan1961
if chizik is motivated it's a great hire. if it's just another pit stop for him we can do better.

charlton warren leaving Indiana as DC to join our staff as co-DC with Chizik. This is a great hire as he’s a great recruiter and has coached some of the best DB’s in his time at Georgia, Tenn, Florida, etc.
this is the biggest part of the entire move…and for me, long term, warren would be excellent…he’s an excellent coach, recruiter, and person.

agree completely. chizik is great but warren is the steal here.
Warren is going to teach the DBs how to play their positions correctly. And he will teach Bly how to coach DBs. And he will teach the LBs how to play pass defense. He can teach all of them how to tackle properly.

If he has the time, he can do all of that, and do it well.

if chizik is motivated it's a great hire. if it's just another pit stop for him we can do better.
I think he's at the age where he knows it is almost now or never. If he wants another chance to be HC, then now is the time to become a DC/Associate HC for D for 2 or 3 years to secure the HC position he wants. If Mack has indicated to him that he doesn't expect to coach for too many more years, then Chizik almost certainly took this job because he hopes to replace Mack.

So we're thinking 10 wins, or 11?

• Haha
Reactions: TarHeelMark
So just looked at the coaches responsibilities and noticed we have no outside LB coach but thig coaches the inside LB. who is gonna make the calls on defense thig or warren?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT