ADVERTISEMENT

Gene Chizik

I think it would be great for the OP to rename the thread topic to "Gene Chizik Hired as Co-DC" or something. I just learned of this actual hire after seeing a headline at another site.

So just looked at the coaches responsibilities and noticed we have no outside LB coach but thig coaches the inside LB. who is gonna make the calls on defense thig or warren?
Not all staffs separate interior & outside linebackers. I guess you see that more with 3-4 type D's.

Chizik will make the calls. I'd guess it will be:

Bly- cb
warren - safety
thig - all linebackers
Cross DL

And I'm guessing nickel will be Warren. Warren coached the ENTIRE secondary last time.

Not sure who picks up special teams, but this group will obviously have one extra onfield D coach compared to 2016.

Reactions: heelfan1961
Not all staffs separate interior & outside linebackers. I guess you see that more with 3-4 type D's.

Bly- cb
warren - safety
thig - all linebackers
Cross DL

And I'm guessing nickel will be Warren. Warren coached the ENTIRE secondary last time.

Not sure who picks up special teams, but this group will obviously have one extra onfield D coach compared to 2016.
Says thig inside LBs so was just wondering I’m sure thig will coach all but it was just interesting to ponder. Outside LBs suck due to no coaching lol

This chizik hire seems more like a long term or future hire. So he’s not coaching any particular unit on defense but overseeing the whole defense. Seems he may be the coach to replace Mack when he steps down.

I wondering if the plan is to have Chizik come in for about three years to turn the D around and then leave the job to Warren. Warren coming here seems like a step down, so that might be a possibility. Could just be me overthinking it

Bly- cb
warren - safety
thig - all linebackers
Cross DL

Warren is capable of coaching the entire secondary. He is as good as it gets in DB coaches.

I wondering if the plan is to have Chizik come in for about three years to turn the D around and then leave the job to Warren. Warren coming here seems like a step down, so that might be a possibility. Could just be me overthinking it
Well, if Chizik ends up replacing Mack, you can count on Warren as DC/AHC.

Well, if Chizik ends up replacing Mack, you can count on Warren as DC/AHC.
I didn't mean him replacing Mack, just righting the ship on defense. He doesn't strike me as someone who wants the responsibility of head coach again.

Figured he'd be the first one gone. I'm not sure it's going to make a huge difference at this point. We need to hit the portal hard.
Searels should have been the first one gone. But unlike Batmen and Dewitt, Searels is an old time Mack BFF. Mack's history says that when he is forced to replace staff, the axe falls first and second on guys who are farthest from being his BFF.

What the program needs right now is several prominent boosters continuing to hammer to Bubba that Searels must go.

Warren is capable of coaching the entire secondary. He is as good as it gets in DB coaches.
Here is what most likely went down. Mack didn’t want to fire anybody and he asks Jay what can we do to get better. Jay is blunt and says I can’t install my system with Dre and Tommy as coaches. Mack says you have to or you’re out. Jay stands his ground and Mack pulls the trigger.

Enter Chizik. He’s not gonna reinvent the wheel, but he’s gonna simplify things and get the respect Jay wasn’t getting. Bly is gonna be told to sit down and watch as Warren takes over the entire secondary. Dre can help with technique.

It’s the band aid the team needs. We weren’t gonna get an elite DC without coaching changes and a Mack wasn’t gonna make those changes. So here we are. Chiz will help with the culture and be honest with Mack.

Regardless of who we went with for DC, we are gonna be better next year. Lots of talent infusion. Unfortunately, we are gonna regress at a good clip on offense. No Sam. Unproven RB room. Losing OL. Searles returns.

Here is what most likely went down. Mack didn’t want to fire anybody and he asks Jay what can we do to get better. Jay is blunt and says I can’t install my system with Dre and Tommy as coaches. Mack says you have to or you’re out. Jay stands his ground and Mack pulls the trigger.

Enter Chizik. He’s not gonna reinvent the wheel, but he’s gonna simplify things and get the respect Jay wasn’t getting. Bly is gonna be told to sit down and watch as Warren takes over the entire secondary. Dre can help with technique.

It’s the band aid the team needs. We weren’t gonna get an elite DC without coaching changes and a Mack wasn’t gonna make those changes. So here we are. Chiz will help with the culture and be honest with Mack.

Regardless of who we went with for DC, we are gonna be better next year. Lots of talent infusion. Unfortunately, we are gonna regress at a good clip on offense. No Sam. Unproven RB room. Losing OL. Searles returns.
The Defense will have to keep us in games next year unfortunately.

not sure we take a big step back on O next season. we did lose sam but he was outstanding as a true freshman - maye and criswell both have more experience and similar ratings. RB room was unproven this season but it worked out and we have 2 nice ones coming in. WRs/TEs of interest are back. did lose some O linemen but that's probably a positive IMO. Searles is a big concern for me though - not sure what positives he brings. if he does return i hope it's on a week to week basis

There are two players ranked above 3 stars in the entire OL room and one will be a true freshman. None of the 3 stars show any signs of playing above their rankings or long term development. Despite bringing everyone back, the OL regressed. It will be a miracle if we don’t have the worst offensive line in all of college football (again).

From what I can tell, there is not a single position group, on any team in the P5 that is worse than our OL. IMO an average OL probably would’ve been enough to get us to 9 or 10 wins and an ACCCG appearance.

Moving on from Bateman was a good sign. But keeping Searles makes Mack look like an idiot.

There is a lot to be optimistic about. I actually think Maye has a lot more potential upside than Sam. Lots of highly rated recruits on both sides of the ball with no signs of the recruiting slowing down. Except for the OL. Developing a strong OL unit is a longer and harder process than just about any other unit. And we’re headed in the wrong direction.

edited: forgot about barnes being a 4 star

Last edited:
We lose the best QB we’ve ever had and most don’t seem worried about it? We also lost our best RB. Throw in what will probably be another poor OL and we have the recipe for disaster on offense. Can’t believe Mack isn’t letting Searels go, I hope Searels’ seat is red hot. Our defense better improve drastically or we’re going to be even worse next year.

We lose the best QB we’ve ever had and most don’t seem worried about it? We also lost our best RB. Throw in what will probably be another poor OL and we have the recipe for disaster on offense. Can’t believe Mack isn’t letting Searels go, I hope Searels’ seat is red hot. Our defense better improve drastically or we’re going to be even worse next year.
There is a segment of our fan base that actually think Sam was the problem. That's why some people aren't worried. And before you say it, yes, I know how dumb it is.

There are two players ranked above 3 stars in the entire OL room and one will be a true freshman. None of the 3 stars show any signs of playing above their rankings or long term development. Despite bringing everyone back, the OL regressed. It will be a miracle if we don’t have the worst offensive line in all of college football (again).

From what I can tell, there is not a single position group, on any team in the P5 that is worse than our OL. IMO an average OL probably would’ve been enough to get us to 9 or 10 wins and an ACCCG appearance.

Moving on from Bateman was a good sign. But keeping Searles makes Mack look like an idiot.

There is a lot to be optimistic about. I actually think Maye has a lot more potential upside than Sam. Lots of highly rated recruits on both sides of the ball with no signs of the recruiting slowing down. Except for the OL. Developing a strong OL unit is a longer and harder process than just about any other unit. And we’re headed in the wrong direction.

edited: forgot about barnes being a 4 star
Sutton- 4 star

Pounds- 4 star via ESPN

Baker- 4 star

Rice- 5 star

Barnes 4 star

Rice, IMO, will start day 1. All he does is maul people, including the Bama recruit at the all star game. Plug him in and let him pancake everyone. The Miami transfer will most likely start as well. We'll see what happens with Baker, Pounds and Sutton.

Pettaway and Hampton will make you forget about Chandler, quick. Those guys will do just like Carter and Williams did, which is hide the deficiencies on the OL. The under the radar player on O will be Nesbit at TE. Can't wait to see him play every game. A lot to be excited about on D considering the back to back recruiting classes. The departure of a lot of players either via graduation or transfer guarantees Mack's guys will finally get on the field on a consistent basis rather than in mop up duty/special teams.

Sutton- 4 star

Pounds- 4 star via ESPN

Baker- 4 star

Rice- 5 star

Barnes 4 star

Rice, IMO, will start day 1. All he does is maul people, including the Bama recruit at the all star game. Plug him in and let him pancake everyone. The Miami transfer will most likely start as well. We'll see what happens with Baker, Pounds and Sutton.
Pettaway and Hampton will make you forget about Chandler, quick. Those guys will do just like Carter and Williams did, which is hide the deficiencies on the OL. The under the radar player on O will be Nesbit at TE. Can't wait to see him play every game. A lot to be excited about on D considering the back to back recruiting classes. The departure of a lot of players either via graduation or transfer guarantees Mack's guys will finally get on the field on a consistent basis rather than in mop up duty/special teams.
Longo has proven he is very hesitant to play thr freshmen. Much more so than Bateman. Downs barely played his freshman year. Nesbit has been vastly underused. Olsen played over Jones. I’ll believe it when I see it.

There is a segment of our fan base that actually think Sam was the problem. That's why some people aren't worried. And before you say it, yes, I know how dumb it is.
I don't know that Sam was "the problem," but I do think some have thrown around the term "our best quarterback ever" rather loosely. In today's game, in which passing is so prominent, Sam's statistics look really great. But in other "eras" in which there was considerably less passing, QBs would not have had Sam's numbers, but were still really great QBs. We've had some good ones!

I don't know that Sam was "the problem," but I do think some have thrown around the term "our best quarterback ever" rather loosely. In today's game, in which passing is so prominent, Sam's statistics look really great. But in other "eras" in which there was considerably less passing, QBs would not have had Sam's numbers, but were still really great QBs. We've had some good ones!
Consider this. We all agree this past year was Sam’s worst performance. However, it is almost statistically identical to what Marquise Williams did in 2015, with Sam having a few more total TD’s. That is remarkable when you think about it. I actually came to appreciate Sam and his talent more this year. I think the fan base grossly underrates how good/important he is for UNC and in general

It's not just about his numbers. Who else would you put above him?

Reactions: Archer2
You mean statistically or in general? Because I would argue that what he was able to do this year, behind that line with minimal help at WR, made this year his best.
Purely statistically because it seems message board types live and die by black and white stats. I agree. I keep hearing about him throwing the ball away. For every sack he took holding the ball, he escaped 2+ to run for a first or make a big play. Sam actually rushed for 1,000 yards but nary a peep from our fan base.

Look at Sam's total yards and total TDs this year vs last. They are nearly identical. The dude made up for our lack of reliable recievers (and shaky OL) by running for nearly 1k this year. WARRIOR!
I was glad I was able to see him in person a few times this year. He was a straight up boss in that WF game. Made it worth being in the cold.

Longo has proven he is very hesitant to play thr freshmen. Much more so than Bateman. Downs barely played his freshman year. Nesbit has been vastly underused. Olsen played over Jones. I’ll believe it when I see it.
After what transpired this year, I think Mack and the staff know they have to put the best players on the field, regardless if they're 18 or 21. With the amount of folks hitting the portal/graduating early this year for UNC, I think those players were told they're being replaced by the younger guys.

Downs barely playing his frosh year had a little something to do with Dazz but yea, he could've received much more snaps.

Ready for a full year of Nesbit, kid is a stud.

sam was great but we don't need to have the best QB ever to have a really good offense. Marquise and Mitch were both really good QBs, Chazz not so much but there were lots of QBs this season who would have been successful in our offense. i have lots of confidence in our new QBs

Reactions: PEPSIFANCY
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT