ADVERTISEMENT

George Floyd death

I don't think cops are ever going to regain the trust of the general public at this point.
The general public? I'm guessing the general public still has it. The younger generation and more liberal people are the ones who tend to distrust the police more.

Reactions: bleeduncblue
The general public? I'm guessing the general public still has it. The younger generation and more liberal people are the ones who tend to distrust the police more.

I think you’re underestimating how many people mistrust police. And how big of an impact the countless videos of them abusing and assaulting protesters will have. At this point it’s clearly not some small minority of bad apples.

I just played today in Anderson sc at Cobbs Glenn played pretty good in the front (41) then the wheels fell off on the back (47).

It will drive you crazy if you dont just take it as it is.

I'm not sure if there is another sport where the difference between "pretty good" and "the wheels fell off" is only 15% (6 more strokes)

I’m about to go for a run so I quickly scanned it, but it looks like they polled people on how confident they were that police will treat black and white people equally. That’s not what I’m talking about though. I’m talking about general mistrust in them to protect and serve instead of doing things like shoving down a 75 year old man or tear gassing a journalist who is laying on the ground.

You also have to consider that something like 35-40% of the country are hardcore right wingers that are perfectly happy to watch these protesters get roughed up, and even happier to a CNN crew get arrested.

We can argue semantics about what constitutes the ‘general public’ which is fine. But it’s clear that a huge number of Americans don’t trust the police, and they’re right not to. Quite a lot of them are exposing themselves as power hungry assholes who don’t like having their authority challenged.

I’m about to go for a run so I quickly scanned it, but it looks like they polled people on how confident they were that police will treat black and white people equally. That’s not what I’m talking about though. I’m talking about general mistrust in them to protect and serve instead of doing things like shoving down a 75 year old man or tear gassing a journalist who is laying on the ground.

You also have to consider that something like 35-40% of the country are hardcore right wingers that are perfectly happy to watch these protesters get roughed up, and even happier to a CNN crew get arrested.

We can argue semantics about what constitutes the ‘general public’ which is fine. But it’s clear that a huge number of Americans don’t trust the police, and they’re right not to. Quite a lot of them are exposing themselves as power hungry assholes who don’t like having their authority challenged.
I certainly don’t trust the cops either. Talking recently to to an ex cop friend of mine and he filled me in on the placement of speed traps and DUI checkpoints. Seems the the local police steer clear of economically depressed areas because of optics and the fact that most perps in those areas won’t show At court or don’t have the money to pay the fines. Speeding soccer moms and middle class husbands after happy hour provide a much more reliable revenue stream than the lower income neighborhoods do.

I certainly don’t trust the cops either. Talking recently to to an ex cop friend of mine and he filled me in on the placement of speed traps and DUI checkpoints. Seems the the local police steer clear of economically depressed areas because of optics and the fact that most perps in those areas won’t show At court or don’t have the money to pay the fines. Speeding soccer moms and middle class husbands after happy hour provide a much more reliable revenue stream than the lower income neighborhoods do.

Not really surprising. I’m sure traffic enforcement has no interest in poor neighborhoods when the guy driving his Mercedes 20 mph over the speed limit won’t even bother fighting the ticket.

I think you’re underestimating how many people mistrust police. And how big of an impact the countless videos of them abusing and assaulting protesters will have. At this point it’s clearly not some small minority of bad apples.

I am a supporter of the police 100% as long as those police are protecting and servicing. I think far to many times the police turn into revenue generating services for city's and state. That in turn causes to many unnecessary police/citizen encounters. I am not for license checks, DUI check points and stuff like that.

I see far to many time a woman on the side of the road with a flat tire may times i have stopped to help and seen cop after cop ride by without stopping, now at times I have seen them stopped to help people like that but some they don't care!

One day I seen a woman on the side of the road changing a tire and a police car behind her with the lights on, that day I was dirt sweaty and so I didn't mind getting a little more dirt on me so I stopped assist. I ask the lady how long the cop and been there she said he pulled up turn his lights on behind her and had been sitting the on the phone 10 mins. I told him when I finished changing the tire "thanks for all your help" he was ammused.

I think we have a police problem in a lot of cases and not a racist police problem.

Anyway numbers of police are getting better i know one is to many but 38 unarmed black people were killed my police in 2015 and only 9 in 2019.

I'm sure someone will spin the 38 in 2015 and 9 2019 numbers but those are facts from a NYP article.

I think it's a pretty easy assumption to make, that if the majority of people trust cops to treat races the same, then they trust them in a general sense. According to that poll, only 12% don't trust them. That includes only 20% of Latinos that don't trust them. I think you're letting the news and social media show you what the world is like, when reality is much different. I'm not saying there aren't problems, but it's the job of the media to grab eyeballs. That doesn't always match the truth. As far as social media goes, well...

I think it's a pretty easy assumption to make, that if the majority of people trust cops to treat races the same, then they trust them in a general sense. According to that poll, only 12% don't trust them. That includes only 20% of Latinos that don't trust them. I think you're letting the news and social media show you what the world is like, when reality is much different. I'm not saying there aren't problems, but it's the job of the media to grab eyeballs. That doesn't always match the truth. As far as social media goes, well...

I don't see how that poll could be accurate. You really think 88% of the public trusts the police? I don't think 88% of the public trusts any one person or institution. That's a huge majority. You almost never see those kind of numbers behind any kind of social or political position.

I’m interested to see what the effect of their reaction to these protests will be. A lot of people have seen that clip of them assaulting a 75 year old man. And shooting a disabled, homeless man with rubber bullets. And the wounds from the asian woman who was shot by a rubber bullet on her way home from the grocery store. And the child that was pepper sprayed. And the cops shooting rubber bullets at people on their own porches. And state police arresting journalists and cameramen without justification. We're seeing countless examples of this stuff, from different cities all across the country.

I agree about the media and social media. I almost never watch the news. Obviously social media is a factor considering that's generally how those clips make it on to people's screens, including mine. But I'm not reading editorials or anything like that. And I do see the police who are joining the protests. I'm glad to see that. But on aggregate, I think the police reactions to these protests is hurting their reputation as a whole. Especially for people who already are concerned about police brutality.

I am a supporter of the police 100% as long as those police are protecting and servicing. I think far to many times the police turn into revenue generating services for city's and state. That in turn causes to many unnecessary police/citizen encounters. I am not for license checks, DUI check points and stuff like that.

I see far to many time a woman on the side of the road with a flat tire may times i have stopped to help and seen cop after cop ride by without stopping, now at times I have seen them stopped to help people like that but some they don't care!

One day I seen a woman on the side of the road changing a tire and a police car behind her with the lights on, that day I was dirt sweaty and so I didn't mind getting a little more dirt on me so I stopped assist. I ask the lady how long the cop and been there she said he pulled up turn his lights on behind her and had been sitting the on the phone 10 mins. I told him when I finished changing the tire "thanks for all your help" he was ammused.

I think we have a police problem in a lot of cases and not a racist police problem.

Anyway numbers of police are getting better i know one is to many but 38 unarmed black people were killed my police in 2015 and only 9 in 2019.

I'm sure someone will spin the 38 in 2015 and 9 2019 numbers but those are facts from a NYP article.

Good cops deserve praise and support. I'm not one of those people that hates all cops.

And DUI checkpoints should be in the parking lots of bars BEFORE people drive away and endanger others. If you blow over .08, then they order you a cab. Nobody goes to jail, and nobody drunkenly crashes a car into a family minivan before they get to the checkpoint.

I don't see how that poll could be accurate. You really think 88% of the public trusts the police? I don't think 88% of the public trusts any one person or institution. That's a huge majority. You almost never see those kind of numbers behind any kind of social or political position.
It's a PBS poll from a few days ago. My guess is that the looting and riots are having a negative impact on the opinion of the protesters, which would probably have a positive impact on the police.

And DUI checkpoints should be in the parking lots of bars BEFORE people drive away and endanger others. If you blow over .08, then they order you a cab. Nobody goes to jail, and nobody drunkenly crashes a car into a family minivan before they get to the checkpoint.

It's a PBS poll from a few days ago. My guess is that the looting and riots are having a negative impact on the opinion of the protesters, which would probably have a positive impact on the police.

I think most people can separate the two. The dominant majority of protesters are not rioting or looting. There have even been cases of BLM protesters turning in people who were trying to incite violence or loot stores.

https://wp.me/p3WzIG-3Sy2
Brees apology tour, after he and wife received death threats and his career in jeopardy. BLM winning hearts and minds. I’m sure his 2nd and 3rd apologies were sincere.
And he still hasn't said it isn't disrespectful. He just said they had a right to protest...which is what he said since the beginning. Brees has done an excellent job of apologizing without actually changing anything he believes in and made people not notice it. He has the perfect skills to be a politician.

https://wp.me/p3WzIG-3Sy2
Brees apology tour, after he and wife received death threats and his career in jeopardy. BLM winning hearts and minds. I’m sure his 2nd and 3rd apologies were sincere.
How he "clapped back" at trump trying to back him so swiftly, supports that he had a moment of clarity and actually listened, and was strong enough to override his cognitive dissonance on the issue.

The dominant majority of cops don't murder unarmed black men, but we've seen people not be able to separate that.

And I say that as someone who has no love lost for cops.

I don't think that most people believe that a majority of cops are murdering black men. But I'm not so sure a majority of them aren't perfectly willing to tolerate the indiscretions of their peers.

But you're right, there are definitely plenty of people lumping all cops together.

Here is my take. Are there bad cops, yes. Do some cops treat people in general bad, yes. Are minorities looked at differently, yes. We do have an issue in this country, and it runs deeper than race, creed, or color. As for this particular case, and all others that fit the bill, prosecute to the max. Even make the penalties more severe than if a citizen did it. Investigate whole divisions if suspect of this kind of activity. Proper screening before hiring would weed some out as well.

But we also have to be careful not to neuter the authority LEO has. They almost always have to look at people as threats due to their jobs. And that doesn't matter if its white or black. Personally, I want them patrolling streets and looking into suspicious activities. I don't care what neighborhood it is.
Growing up, almost all crackhouses were located in black communities. I can't remember one being busted that wasn't in one. That was in my local rural area. So naturally, the law stayed close. I was peddling weed and some other things at the time. Guess what, the law rode my street as well. What I am saying is, they need to do their jobs.

Last year we had a trooper shoot and kill a black man in his car with his wife in the passenger seat. Afterwards, we had protest, outrage by the family, and general unsettlement. Once investigated, you find out the guy tried to run the trooper down with his car.

Someone poasted a stat earlier showing a percentage of death by cop. You also have to show legitimate cases as to why they were killed and those that where profiling due to race.

I see it, black folks have a disadvantage. But as we progress, so does their situation. I know I have adjusted my views since I was younger. This is a tragedy, and deserves attention. But understand racism runs deep on all sides, not just whitey.

I think most people can separate the two. The dominant majority of protesters are not rioting or looting. There have even been cases of BLM protesters turning in people who were trying to incite violence or loot stores.

Many many many protestors have physically confronted looters, who are black, and threatened to beat their ass if they didn't stop.

If people on this thread can't separate someone walking down a street in protest and someone looting a shoe store then just shut the thread down and GFYs.

My daughter has been participating in protests here in Wilm For three days now. She said as they meet before starting everyone is told vandalism and violence will not be tolerated and anyone doing it will be turned over to the police. Shes not seen any. They did get tear gassed for refusing to clear the streets first night. It’s interesting that according to her and the other protestors that the Wilm police has been much more professional that the county sheriffs. She said the sheriff deputies scream insults and threats while wpd just stands silently.

@notashelbyfan you’re not for license checks or dui check points?...may i ask why?

do you flick your lights to warn oncoming drivers of speed traps?

No I'm not that guy but I don't want to be stopped to prove I'm not breaking the law. I wouldn't have a problem with the DUI check points nearly as bad if the only wrote ticket and charged people with DUI.

They put reports out here in the paper here after they have those telling what tickets were written and what they was for. Most of the time there are 1 DUI arrest and 50 other tickets written for dead tag, expired DL, tint to dark, and tag lights burned out.

How is those tickets proctecting and serving the community? That is making money off of the tax paying citizens. Now if you pull me over for speeding and my DL and tag is dead then by all means ticket me.

Unnecessary police interactions lead to other stuff.

The less police citizens interactions there are the lass chance of something going sideways.

My daughter has been participating in protests here in Wilm For three days now. She said as they meet before starting everyone is told vandalism and violence will not be tolerated and anyone doing it will be turned over to the police. Shes not seen any. They did get tear gassed for refusing to clear the streets first night. It’s interesting that according to her and the other protestors that the Wilm police has been much more professional that the county sheriffs. She said the sheriff deputies scream insults and threats while wpd just stands silently.
Good for her!

57 cops resigned from the Buffalo emergency response squad in protest because the two cops who shoved the 75 year old man were suspended without pay.

Anyone who doesn't see what's wrong with the behavior in that video shouldn't be a police officer in the first place. They should all be fired.

57 cops resigned from the Buffalo emergency response squad in protest because the two cops who shoved the 75 year old man were suspended without pay.

Anyone who doesn't see what's wrong with the behavior in that video shouldn't be a police officer in the first place. They should all be fired.

Many many many protestors have physically confronted looters, who are black, and threatened to beat their ass if they didn't stop.

If people on this thread can't separate someone walking down a street in protest and someone looting a shoe store then just shut the thread down and GFYs.
You two completely missed my point. I've already said there is a difference. My point, that I guess I should have made clearer, was that seeing this type of stuff can lead to people not supporting the protests because it eventually leads to this. It's safe to assume that the rioting and looting wouldn't have happened if the protesting didn't happen. They aren't the same people, but an action by one group lead to the action of another. Fair or not, that's how some people see it. It doesn't mean they don't support the cause, it just means they don't think that's the way to do it.

This is an updated list of just SOME of the monuments vandalized by the "protester's" who are rapidly killing their message with their insanity. The list included the Lincoln Memorial, The WW2 memorial and the monument to the BLACK regiment that fought to defeat the Rebs in the civil war...the Mass 54th . That too was defaced.

I honestly think that many of these rioters and vandals have absolutely No idea what they are doing

https://www.foxnews.com/us/vandals-target-historic-monuments-amid-george-floyd-protests

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT