ADVERTISEMENT

Giles planning a fall decision

Ship has sailed!!..still wondering why Roy is wasting his time with him!!..or maybe he's not..may be the reason for all the offers at the same position being handed out!!..same with Tatum!!

Last edited:
Losing Bam and Dennis Smith to a program like moo will be a much bigger loss for us than Giles to dook. Everybody knows that most of these top kids are front runners and love that dook bandwagon but just cannot explain the moo attraction.

Reactions: Bur-Heel and BillyL
Jus' curious here . . . in what possible way would Giles committing to dOOk be a mistake . . ?

Well I guess kids before Giles and Taytum made the mistake if they don't leave school (Ingram, Jeter). If Taytum and Giles commit early to Duke, Ingram and Jeter are going to have a ton of pressure to raise their draft stock In their lone year IMO.

Wonder what the reason is for Tatum keeping UNC on his list. He hasn't been on campus. Is it just for notoriety?

I think it's because him, Giles and Taytum are talking package deal? Maybe Taytum kept us on the list just in case UNC would be the destination for the package deal.

I think it's because him, Giles and Taytum are talking package deal? Maybe Taytum kept us on the list just in case UNC would be the destination for the package deal.

Jayson Tatum is the one leading that package deal if there becomes one. Giles is likely to follow . . hence, the recent announcing of Giles' fall decision.

Jayson Tatum is the one leading that package deal if there becomes one. Giles is likely to follow . . hence, the recent announcing of Giles' fall decision.

Oh gotcha. Terrible. Duke has all the momentum right now. Need at least a final 4 appearance or to land Dennis Smith and Bam Bam to get some momentum back. Oh and a ruling from the NCAA. i thought this was a good read on our recruiting. Some interesting stuff from Bradley and Boldin:

http://m.fayobserver.com/sports/unc...7a8-c8ef-55c5-9cb2-8a6ebe7f588e.html?mode=jqm

Missing on Giles will sting. There are some potential studs we can still land though. We are one big commitment away from gaining momentum. Smith would be huge for us.

All the big names will be committed by the time the NCAA situation is settled...time to go after the b-list just to save face..looks like '17 is going to be more important than '16!!..with the timing and everything..

All the big names will be committed by the time the NCAA situation is settled...time to go after the b-list just to save face..looks like '17 is going to be more important than '16!!..with the timing and everything..

I think '16 is more important, as we cannot afford to let the cupboard go bare which it could for the following season. Paige, Brice Johnson and Joel James are gone, Meeks, Justin Jackson and possibly Isaiah Hicks could leave early . .

It would awesome to bag Dennis Smith, and we have an above average shot at doing that. Securing him and others may follow at a quicker pace. There's enough talent in this 2016 pool of players, that we should have a good class. Bradley, DeLaurier, Sacha K-J and likely a couple of others probably see UNC as an opportunity worthy of waiting on. The NCAA should be settled by at least January, or shortly thereafter, so waiting until 2016 to decide isn't something that would put a player at a disadvantage.

Well I guess kids before Giles and Taytum made the mistake if they don't leave school (Ingram, Jeter). If Taytum and Giles commit early to Duke, Ingram and Jeter are going to have a ton of pressure to raise their draft stock In their lone year IMO.

I think Ingram is a near lock to leave after 1 year unless he struggles mightily next year.

As for Jeter, he's going to play Center at Duke. Tatum will play SF, and Giles would slide into the PF spot after our senior PF Amile Jefferson graduates this year. Or, if Ingram plays the 4 and we play Matt Jones at the 3 again, Tatum will supplant Jones (who will either move to the 2 or come off the bench), and Giles will slide into the 4 for Ingram. Point is, Giles and Tatum are irrelevant to Jeter's potential playing time. Jeter is a C all the way at the college level.

Also, Jeter is just simply not a super elite talent. He is a solid NBA prospect, but he's not going to be ready after 1 year. He's just not quite that good yet, which is fine. There is no pressure on Jeter to "raise his stock" this year. It should not be looked down upon if it takes certain guys a couple more years to be ready for the pros.

If Ingram happened to come back AND we land both Tatum and Giles then yeah, there'd be some overlap at the forward spots. But I'd be shocked if Ingram wasn't 1-and-done. And in that case, Tatum would play the 3, Giles at the 4, and Jeter at the 5. Hypothetically of course, because Giles is still uncommitted. It'd be a great "problem" to have though if we had to figure out how to incorporate Ingram, Tatum, and Giles into a team. It'd be tricky, but I'd take my chances. Either situation is going to be fine.

Last edited:

The 2016 class is still more important to UNC's short-term future, especially if Justin Jackson goes pro in addition to Paige and Johnson graduating. It may be easier for UNC to land top-tier 2017 players, assuming the NCAA situation is resolved. But looking at the situation right now, the 2016 class is pretty crucial (and more important than '17) if UNC wants to remain an elite team like they will be this season.

I fully expect UNC to have a better 2017 class than 2016 class, but that doesn't mean that 2017 is "more important." If UNC doesn't land at least a solid 2016 class and loses Paige, Johnson, and potentially Justin Jackson, then you're looking at a potentially rough 2017 season. And for the record I don't even think UNC basketball will get hammered by the NCAA, it's just that y'all are in a tough situation right now.

I think '16 is more important, as we cannot afford to let the cupboard go bare which it could for the following season. Paige, Brice Johnson and Joel James are gone, Meeks, Justin Jackson and possibly Isaiah Hicks could leave early . .

It would awesome to bag Dennis Smith, and we have an above average shot at doing that. Securing him and others may follow at a quicker pace. There's enough talent in this 2016 pool of players, that we should have a good class. Bradley, DeLaurier, Sacha K-J and likely a couple of others probably see UNC as an opportunity worthy of waiting on. The NCAA should be settled by at least January, or shortly thereafter, so waiting until 2016 to decide isn't something that would put a player at a disadvantage.

Agreed on '16 being more important. Really no way to spin it otherwise between '16 and '17 at this point. But I don't see any way that Meeks or Hicks would go pro after this year. I think that'd be a mistake on their part, unless both have drastically altered their games. Justin Jackson on the other hand, I think is a real possibility.

UNC will be fine if they land DeLaurier and Killeya-Jones. Those are both really good players. It will probably be easier for UNC to land a super elite prospect like Giles in the 2017 class, after all of this NCAA stuff is in the past.

For the '16 season we have a strong chance of bringing back meeks,hicks,pinson,berry(JJ probably will be gone)..add in britt,williams,maye..get a couple of kids outside the top ten(Bradley,SKJ,Delaurier,maybe woods or smith)..and i think we are in good shape heading into '17..therefore making that '17 class very important with the overhaul we will have in '16!!(With Felton already being on board in '17)

Reactions: mikeirbyusa
I think Ingram is a near lock to leave after 1 year unless he struggles mightily next year.

As for Jeter, he's going to play Center at Duke. Tatum will play SF, and Giles would slide into the PF spot after our senior PF Amile Jefferson graduates this year. Or, if Ingram plays the 4 and we play Matt Jones at the 3 again, Tatum will supplant Jones (who will either move to the 2 or come off the bench), and Giles will slide into the 4 for Ingram. Point is, Giles and Tatum are irrelevant to Jeter's potential playing time. Jeter is a C all the way at the college level.

Also, Jeter is just simply not a super elite talent. He is a solid NBA prospect, but he's not going to be ready after 1 year. He's just not quite that good yet, which is fine. There is no pressure on Jeter to "raise his stock" this year. It should not be looked down upon if it takes certain guys a couple more years to be ready for the pros.

If Ingram happened to come back AND we land both Tatum and Giles then yeah, there'd be some overlap at the forward spots. But I'd be shocked if Ingram wasn't 1-and-done. And in that case, Tatum would play the 3, Giles at the 4, and Jeter at the 5. Hypothetically of course, because Giles is still uncommitted. It'd be a great "problem" to have though if we had to figure out how to incorporate Ingram, Tatum, and Giles into a team. It'd be tricky, but I'd take my chances. Either situation is going to be fine.

Nick, very good insight but while fitting in Ingram if he stays is a good problem for coach K it isn't a good problem for Ingram. Pressure is on the kid to perform at a high level this year if Giles commits to Duke.

For the '16 season we have a strong chance of bringing back meeks,hicks,pinson,berry(JJ probably will be gone)..add in britt,williams,maye..get a couple of kids outside the top ten(Bradley,SKJ,Delaurier,maybe woods or smith)..and i think we are in good shape heading into '17..therefore making that '17 class very important with the overhaul we will have in '16!!(With Felton already being on board in '17)

Agreed. Although 2016 is clearly not going to be the year everyone originally thought it was. If we can land a couple of 4 stars and keep guys like Meeks, Berry, etc, We'll be in good shape. 17 is a long way away, but we started off pretty strong. A 5* commit already plus a good lean from another 5* (Matt Coleman). I like our chances!

Nick, very good insight but while fitting in Ingram if he stays is a good problem for coach K it isn't a good problem for Ingram. Pressure is on the kid to perform at a high level this year if Giles commits to Duke.
Not really. Coach K will put the best players on the court and make it work. If Giles commits...

Expect a Thornton/whoever comes in at PG
Ingram at SG
Tatum at SF
Giles at PF
Jeter/whoever at C

Agreed. Although 2016 is clearly not going to be the year everyone originally thought it was. If we can land a couple of 4 stars and keep guys like Meeks, Berry, etc, We'll be in good shape. 17 is a long way away, but we started off pretty strong. A 5* commit already plus a good lean from another 5* (Matt Coleman). I like our chances!

Keeping Berry for his Junior year is very important. I can't see Kennedy leaving early unless he has a monster season.
Of course if he does have a monster season I hope he does jump, he'll have earned it!

Not really. Coach K will put the best players on the court and make it work. If Giles commits...

Expect a Thornton/whoever comes in at PG
Ingram at SG
Tatum at SF
Giles at PF
Jeter/whoever at C

Ingram at SG!!?? Haha, can't be serious?

Duke eyeliner is still as ugly as it comes...

I definitely agree with you that Ingram is planning on being 1-and-done. And yeah, it would make for some interesting dynamics if we had a sophomore Ingram along with Tatum and Giles.

You're absolutely right about the pressure on these highly-ranked kids, and I honestly think it's very unfortunate. It should not be looked down upon if certain highly-rated players stick around college for 2-3 years before going pro. Not every class has the same caliber of player.

Like I think Brandon Ingram is a very good NBA prospect, but the reality is that he's 6'9 and looks about 180 pounds soaking wet. Unless you're a Kevin Durant-esque scorer, it's gonna be tough to go into the NBA with that build and succeed. Hell, there will probably be an adjustment period for Ingram in college, much less the NBA. It's different than a guy like Winslow who already had an NBA build before he even got to Duke.

I think college coaches and programs get way too much credit for developing players (especially ones that are 1-and-done), and they also get way too much blame for players who don't develop or have their anticipated impact.

I've said numerous times before, I think it's absolutely ridiculous that guys like Harrison Barnes and James McAdoo are used against UNC on the recruiting trail. Barnes was really, really good in both years at UNC. He CHOSE to come back for a sophomore year. He could have been 1-and-done if he wanted to and he would have turned out fine had he been 1-and-done. I think it was commendable that Barnes returned for a title run. And oh man, he was the 7th overall pick to the Warriors after his sophomore year of college. What a travesty, playing 2 years of college hoops.

And McAdoo is the funniest one to me. McAdoo is a microcosm of how backward and fvcked up the perception of these recruits and players are. It is SO STUPID to me how UNC's "perception" might be better to recruits had they pushed McAdoo out the door after his freshman year. If McAdoo had been 1-and-done, he would have been completely overwhelmed in the NBA. There is a 0% chance he would've stuck in the league had he done that, regardless of where he would have been drafted.

I did anticipate McAdoo to develop into more of a force in college over his 3 years, but I think he potentially saved his pro career by sticking around. McAdoo was not a 1-and-done level talent, regardless of his HS ranking or where he was projected after his freshman year. He was on a loaded UNC team his freshman year and didn't get the chance to "get exposed." I think it's so much better to tell guys like McAdoo what they need to hear (that you need to come back another year), as opposed to telling guys what they want to hear and pushing them out the door before they're ready to move on. Players like McAdoo, and even Justin Jackson this year, sticking around school for 2-3 years, should be commended much more than UK is commended for pushing guys like Marquis Teague and Archie Goodwin out the door after 1 year. Marquis Teague's NBA career is over. McAdoo is much more likely to stick in the league, BECAUSE he stayed in school.

Reactions: slothrop8
I definitely agree with you that Ingram is planning on being 1-and-done. And yeah, it would make for some interesting dynamics if we had a sophomore Ingram along with Tatum and Giles.

You're absolutely right about the pressure on these highly-ranked kids, and I honestly think it's very unfortunate. It should not be looked down upon if certain highly-rated players stick around college for 2-3 years before going pro. Not every class has the same caliber of player.

Like I think Brandon Ingram is a very good NBA prospect, but the reality is that he's 6'9 and looks about 180 pounds soaking wet. Unless you're a Kevin Durant-esque scorer, it's gonna be tough to go into the NBA with that build and succeed. Hell, there will probably be an adjustment period for Ingram in college, much less the NBA. It's different than a guy like Winslow who already had an NBA build before he even got to Duke.

I think college coaches and programs get way too much credit for developing players (especially ones that are 1-and-done), and they also get way too much blame for players who don't develop or have their anticipated impact.

I've said numerous times before, I think it's absolutely ridiculous that guys like Harrison Barnes and James McAdoo are used against UNC on the recruiting trail. Barnes was really, really good in both years at UNC. He CHOSE to come back for a sophomore year. He could have been 1-and-done if he wanted to and he would have turned out fine had he been 1-and-done. I think it was commendable that Barnes returned for a title run. And oh man, he was the 7th overall pick to the Warriors after his sophomore year of college. What a travesty, playing 2 years of college hoops.

And McAdoo is the funniest one to me. McAdoo is a microcosm of how backward and fvcked up the perception of these recruits and players are. It is SO STUPID to me how UNC's "perception" might be better to recruits had they pushed McAdoo out the door after his freshman year. If McAdoo had been 1-and-done, he would have been completely overwhelmed in the NBA. There is a 0% chance he would've stuck in the league had he done that, regardless of where he would have been drafted.

I did anticipate McAdoo to develop into more of a force in college over his 3 years, but I think he potentially saved his pro career by sticking around. McAdoo was not a 1-and-done level talent, regardless of his HS ranking or where he was projected after his freshman year. He was on a loaded UNC team his freshman year and didn't get the chance to "get exposed." I think it's so much better to tell guys like McAdoo what they need to hear (that you need to come back another year), as opposed to telling guys what they want to hear and pushing them out the door before they're ready to move on. Players like McAdoo, and even Justin Jackson this year, sticking around school for 2-3 years, should be commended much more than UK is commended for pushing guys like Marquis Teague and Archie Goodwin out the door after 1 year. Marquis Teague's NBA career is over. McAdoo is much more likely to stick in the league, BECAUSE he stayed in school.

Damn good post

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT