ADVERTISEMENT

Give me Williams over Ingram

thaUNCshow

All-ACC
Mar 25, 2010
Hear me out, Ingram makes us the legitamate favorite next year and we'd be lucky to have him. That being said, Williams is exactly what we need and fills arguably the biggest hole on our roster: which is a knockdown shooter. Boo Williams says that other than JJ Redick, Kenny Williams is the best shooter he's ever coached. Theres no guarantee that Ingram will buy in and be content with coming off the bench when he is obviously playing for a lottery spot. With a senior Paige and Johnson, as well as what I expect to be a very improved Berry and Jackson, scoring is not a problem that Im anticipating for next year. A talented wing scorer like Ingram is a cherry on top, but an elite shooter off the bench is a legit need and eliminates virtually every weakness that this current roster has. And for the record, Justin Jackson > Ingram

I agree, although I feel like we get both right now. If Ingram comes and gets 25+ minutes (which only Paige and JP did last year) I'm not sure how we get Berry on the court enough and could have some of the same offensive issues as this year.

Originally posted by Bur-Heel:

who says that Ingram would come off the bench?
No one. But paige and brice are locks to start. Jackson too IMO. Meeks is very likely and its common knowledge that Marcus is better off the ball and i think Roy knows how much better the offense is with Berry at the point. So his odds are certainly low of starting

Should Ingram opt for UNC, I believe he starts from day 1 . .

Common sense.
Ingram is a big 3 / stretch 4.
Is he gonna start over Brice at the 4? Of course not. He's nowhere near ready for that physically.
Does he come in better than Jackson at the 3? No way.

But then there's this other disturbing option of trying to go big again and moving Jackson to the 2.
Utterly horrible idea for two big reasons:
1. Jackson is not a 2. It is not in his mindset and it doesn't take advantage of his skill set. He is a prototype 3. He is a catch-and-shoot or catch-and-drive guy who thrives on moving without the ball, NOT being a secondary ball-handler. Roy tried that last season and we saw how that worked. JP took over the position largely because Jackson demurred.
2. Anything that takes Berry and Paige away from where they need to be --- at the 1 and 2, respectively --- would be the ultimate self-inflicted wound.

If everybody is healthy and Ingram starts get ready to get reacquainted with the same dysfunction as last season, and that's when I might finally start questioning Roy's acumen.

No thanks.

This post was edited on 4/20 7:03 PM by gary-7

Originally posted by thaUNCshow:
Hear me out, Ingram makes us the legitamate favorite next year and we'd be lucky to have him. That being said, Williams is exactly what we need and fills arguably the biggest hole on our roster: which is a knockdown shooter. Boo Williams says that other than JJ Redick, Kenny Williams is the best shooter he's ever coached. Theres no guarantee that Ingram will buy in and be content with coming off the bench when he is obviously playing for a lottery spot. With a senior Paige and Johnson, as well as what I expect to be a very improved Berry and Jackson, scoring is not a problem that Im anticipating for next year. A talented wing scorer like Ingram is a cherry on top, but an elite shooter off the bench is a legit need and eliminates virtually every weakness that this current roster has. And for the record, Justin Jackson > Ingram
Agree 100% with this post. Been feeling the same the past few days.

Originally posted by gary-7:

1. Jackson is not a 2. It is not in his mindset and it doesn't take advantage if his skill set. He is a prototype 3. He is a catch-and-shoot or catch-and-drive guy who thrives on moving without the ball, NOT being a secondary ball-handler. Roy tried that last season and we saw how that worked. JP took over the position largely because Jackson demurred.
This.

I don't think Justin is good with the ball in the halfcourt set. Yes, when you watch the season highlight tapes he pulls of some very pretty assists - but always on the break.

From what I saw this year he plays perimeter to low-post/back-cut and almost always off the ball.

There've been some crazy posts saying Ingram could play #2 and that's just as farcical too.

Is it possible Roy snags both Ingram and Williams? Are there enough scholarships?

Originally posted by gary-7:

Common sense.
Ingram is a big 3 / stretch 4.
Is he gonna start over Brice at the 4? Of course not. He's nowhere near ready for that physically.
Does he come in better than Jackson at the 3? No way.

But then there's this other disturbing option of trying to go big again and moving Jackson to the 2.
Utterly horrible idea for two big reasons:
1. Jackson is not a 2. It is not in his mindset and it doesn't take advantage if his skill set. He is a prototype 3. He is a catch-and-shoot or catch-and-drive guy who thrives on moving without the ball, NOT being a secondary ball-handler. Roy tried that last season and we saw how that worked. JP took over the position largely because Jackson demurred.
2. Anything that takes Berry and Paige away from where they need to be --- at the 1 and 2, respectively --- would be the ultimate self-inflicted wound.

If everybody is healthy and Ingram starts get ready to get reacquainted with the same dysfunction as last season, and that's when I might finally start questioning Roy's acumen.

No thanks.
I wholeheartedly agree with all of this. Plus, no one has even brought up the other end of the floor - you know, when we have to play defense. I'm worried about Ingram's ability to chase a legit SF around the perimeter and there's just no way in this world that a 180 lbs freshman can guard a 4 in the ACC. So, IMO, Ingram has to come off the bench at least to start the year until we see his ability to defend. If he shows he can handle it, and his offense is everything it's billed to be, then we can talk about the potential line up with Ingram starting. Personally, I think he'd have to take Justin's spot. We need a true PG to run the offense. Marcus will struggle again if he's forced to do so.

But let's not get ahead of ourselves. He may not even end up choosing us.

On Williams, he'll see very limited action next year. We're just way too deep to think he'll get significant PT. But I think he would probably start the rest of his college career - if he's the shooter we think he is.

remember RW is not one for set plays very often-Ingram seems more likely to get his own shot and with his size a contested 3 should not be a problem

I know some of you guys are thinking that Berry-Paige starting backcourt is a foregone conclusion, but, it would not surprise me at all to see Roy start Theo Pinson alongside Paige next season . .

Not sure how much truth is in this but a friend of mine has told me that BI wants a shot at playing the 2 in college. Granted I myself thought that was a far stretch but he was told this by Stackhouse. Also said Stack wouldn't reveal what he knew of where Ingram would go but said he supported his decision. Ingram is not a post guy though he is 6'9, guy is an outside shooter. Take that for what it's worth but if Ingram does come I could see Roy playing him there: He handles the ball well and can stroke it from outside. Maybe Tokoto leaving has really opened a door because he won't starting over Jackson.

Originally posted by Jman0812:

Some sources think ingram has already told coach k his decision or is planning to possibly tonight
What sources and why would he do that tonight if they are meeting tomorrow . . ?

Originally posted by BillyL:

I know some of you guys are thinking that Berry-Paige starting backcourt is a foregone conclusion, but, it would not surprise me at all to see Roy start Theo Pinson alongside Paige next season . .
It would surprise me.

I'd only see this happening if one or more of the following transpired:

No more recruits are signed Berry gets injured Theo makes a huge jump in the off season (and not only dunking over someones head)Not happy if either of the first two happen but if the third does enough for Theo to start then it'd be great for the Heels.

Originally posted by BillyL:

I think Theo will get some minutes at the 2, but starting there next season?
Marcus is the best 2 on the team. Berry is the best PG.
Why in the world would Roy go another route, especially after watching a big lineup bumble and stumble along at less than 78 PPG in his high-octane system?... and Theo being very much a work in progress at the 2 position?... and after he was ready to go to the Berry/Paige backcourt late last season?

Ya mean who else besides me says that if INgram were to comit to us that he would come off the bench? Cause yeah, that is my feeling for sure.

I don't think many, if any still would, argue that Berry not starting is a good idea. Considering how at the end of the season Joel was getting huge PT, solid starter minutes, thou he was not begining games. JP was beginning games and of course jackson was, but JP is out of the picture now, easy easy projection that Berry is now our starting PG, he has the keys.

IMO, the ONLY reason Berry didn't start by about a couple games before the ACC slate came last season was Roy hesitated to go with so much inexperience when he had so many vets he could call on. Roy elected early on that Jackson was to good not to start, felt he couple get away with JP at the 2 because his athletism was outstanding and felt he could guard opposing 2s and handle playing out of position. As we all watched, sometimes that worked out well and other times it just didn't. Joel began to play more when Pinson got hurt & Britt's defense was just not getting better, so he had to go tto the kid and the kid delievered, thou at times did prove that he was a freshman.

But coming off the manner Joel ended the season and now given this off season to work on his game as well as develope his skills more within our system, I just can not see any other option as viable other than Joel berry being our day one starter for next season. That of course allows marcus to spend more time off the ball looking for his scoring, of course Jackson has his spot locked up, it was locked up all last season, how does that change. of course Brice is a certain starter and I don't see any logic in Meeks not starting, thou I sure hope he works on his lower body explosion.

The thing is... being a 6th man can be very good for your NBA stock because it doesn't let your flaws get exposed (ala Ed Davis in 2009 or Marvin Williams in 2005 - Though Davis didn't leave then).

I don't think he is going to come somewhere to be a 6th man though.

The thing is... being a 6th man can be very good for your NBA stock because it doesn't let your flaws get exposed (ala Ed Davis in 2009 or Marvin Williams in 2005 - Though Davis didn't leave then).

I don't think he is going to come somewhere to be a 6th man though.

And McAdoo is a prime example of that. His best draft position was following his freshman year when he came off the bench. He returned to school and his flaws got exposed.

I agree with the last two posts wholeheartedly. Roy has made a living off of his 6th men being lotto looks as one and dones. Marvin, Ed, and JMM are the examples. So I don't see why this couldn't be a selling factor for BI.

My issue is this... How many posters here have actually seen BI play? Anyone saying BI can't play 2 hasn't seen the kid play. He'd instantly be one of the better ball handlers on our team, instantly be one of the better shooters on our team, and his length would cause problems for any opposing 2 on the other end.

Also, and not bashing Justin Jackson, but I'm not too sure that Justin is better than Ingram. Until Justin's game gets more toughness to it, I feel he's TOO MUCH of a finesse 3. It's ok to have a floater in your game, but lets not have it as your WHOLE GAME. He floats EVERYTHING! This is more of a detriment than a positive. AND NO, JJ is not a better shooter than BI. Not even close.

Brandon Ingram has game and will be a problem wherever he goes. I'd prefer to get both he and Williams, but I know that's dreaming.

Heels have not landed a single recruit in a year that wasn't related to a former player, chance are unless either Ingram or Williams is the long lost relative of someone then no dice..

Surely you can't be serious.

Yeah, kind of weird comment. He's right though, it has been over a year since we landed a recruit that wasn't a relative of a former player. Although I'm not real sure what a comment like that is supposed to prove. First of all, 12 months in a recruiting cycle is not very long. It's not like anytime in our history we were landing recruits every month. Secondly, all those bitching and moaning about recruiting continue to ignore the current depth of our roster. It'd be one thing if we had just lost 5 or 6 guys to graduation and the NBA. But we lost one player...from a team that was very deep last year. Not at all worried.

Now, with all that said, 2016 is a big year for us in many ways. If we strike out in 2016, then I will be worried. Well, worried in a things-that-aren't-that-important kind of way. But I'm feeling optimistic with Bam, Bradley, and Smith (now that duke got Thornton). And I'm not convinced we're out of it for Giles, Tatum or Simmons either.

we are already a legitimate favorite

Heels have not landed a single recruit in a year that wasn't related to a former player, chance are unless either Ingram or Williams is the long lost relative of someone then no dice..

Come on spacey, that is kind of a cheap shot man, we have only landed 1 recruit in that year and he just happened to be the son of a former UNC football QB. None of the freshman from last class were related to any former UNC players. Other than JMM I can't recall the last time we did get a basketball kid that was related to a former UNC player in either revenue sport.

Come on spacey, that is kind of a cheap shot man, we have only landed 1 recruit in that year and he just happened to be the son of a former UNC football QB. None of the freshman from last class were related to any former UNC players. Other than JMM I can't recall the last time we did get a basketball kid that was related to a former UNC player in either revenue sport.

Pretty sure he was referring to Felton's commitment.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT