ADVERTISEMENT

Harrison Barnes

It took Barnes a couple years to understand his role in the NBA and that extra year at Carolina helped his game as well...He is on the perfect team for his type of skills.

Max contract?? Before the '12 draft I said HB is basically another Evan Turner. I don't see anything that suggests otherwise. They have basically the same frame (HB is 1 inch taller, 5 lbs heavier), and play a similar style. HB is headier and probably a better teammate. Turner's numbers are slightly better across the board. But otherwise, they are carbon copies. So if you think Barnes deserves a max contract as arguably the 5th best player on his team, you need to be willing to pay Evan Turner max money. And that's not happening anytime soon.

Career averages
Turner: 10.8 ppg, 5.2 rpg, 3.6 apg, .2 bpg, .8 spg, .427 fg%, 12.2 PER

Barnes: 9.6 ppg, 4.6 rpg, 1.4 apg, .2 bpg, .7 spg, .440 fg%, 11.4 PER

What those numbers don't take into effect are (1) the number of shots taken by each player. Turner has averaged 2 more shots per game than HB40. Furthermore, if you look at EFG%, Barnes is significantly higher. What that tells me is that he's an all around better shot taker and shot maker. Secondly (2), you omitted 3 point percentage. In that area, Turner has never averaged for a year what Barnes' career average is (.373). Lastly, Turner has roughly double the turnovers per season.

So, Turner has been about as productive as Barnes on a team where he was able to have far more opportunities than Barnes playing his role of supporting cast.

Harden has gone for 45 , 17 and 38 his last 3 games. I guess Dan Dakich shutdown MJ also?
The game I was referring to was the game inwhich Harden scored 17...perhaps you should rewatch the first two games of this series, HB did not guard Harden in those games. And game 4 is/was a non factor since I posted my comment before it happen. C'mon pay attention.

You don't think ba

How quickly people forget that Hardin was a role player for OKC a few years ago behind Westbrook and Durant. If Barnes was the # 1 or #2 option on another team I have no doubt he would average 15-18 points a game. .

I remember Harden on OKC and he was anything but a "role player." He was a young stud who could take over a game, but a sixth man for the sole reason that OKC had the benefit of not needing his offense in the starting lineup and he happened to be the young guy on a team with Durant and Westbrook. By his third year (probably the best OKC team of their strong run), he was averaging 17, 4 and 4 off the bench. I think that 17 per game is probably Barnes' max-level of offensive production capability in the NBA, which is really good stuff, and also makes him more than a "role player." But Barnes is not and will not be Harden, which is no insult, but it's a silly and unfair comparison to begin with. I don't think there is a single team in the NBA that wouldn't be better by having Barnes, and I think if he leaves Golden State they will suffer a bit and have a tough time replacing what he brings, but the Warriors and every other team should not and probably will not consider giving him a max contract.

The game I was referring to was the game inwhich Harden scored 17...perhaps you should rewatch the first two games of this series, HB did not guard Harden in those games. And game 4 is/was a non factor since I posted my comment before it happen. C'mon pay attention.
Soooooo you are basing it on one game? Now we are back to MJ and the "great" shut down by Dakich? Harden missed wide open jumpers and yes Barnes played good "D" but being a good defensive player and scoring 10 a game will not get you a max contract . Harden has gone for 28 , 38 ,17 and 45 now that will get you a max..

Soooooo you are basing it on one game? Now we are back to MJ and the "great" shut down by Dakich? Harden missed wide open jumpers and yes Barnes played good "D" but being a good defensive player and scoring 10 a game will not get you a max contract . Harden has gone for 28 , 38 ,17 and 45 now that will get you a max..
Hey, I only thought HB should get a little credit for playing solid D on Harden since he only scored 17 pts in game three and had averaged 33 in the prior two games when Klay Thompson had the buck of the assignment. I haven't given an opinion or said one word about HB's next contract. Had you not attached my post to your sarcastic remark, MJ, Dakich, and other variables...It appears that I would agree with you, go figure.

Not sure if you follow the NBA but max contracts are thrown at players for potential a lot. Jimmy Butler turned down 11 million a year before he had an offensive game. Now he has 1 good offensive year and is about to get the max. Below are some players you ould think would never get the max:

Brian Grant- off a 7pt 6 rebound season
Kenyon Martin- career averages of 13pts and 8 rebounds
Eddy Curry
Larry Hughes
Ben Wallace
Bryant Reeves

Hell there is talk Tristan Thompson will get a max just because of his offensive rebounding!! I could go on with the list but just trying to show you max contracts off of potential.

Hey, I only thought HB should get a little credit for playing solid D on Harden since he only scored 17 pts in game three and had averaged 33 in the prior two games when Klay Thompson had the buck of the assignment. I haven't given an opinion or said one word about HB's next contract. Had you not attached my post to your sarcastic remark, MJ, Dakich, and other variables...It appears that I would agree with you, go figure.
I apologize , my tone did come off as abrasive.

HB shows up big in clinching game... from the Yahoo Sports article " Yet the heroes were not MVP Stephen Curry and fellow All-Star Klay Thompson, but third-year wing Harrison Barnes, who scored 13 of his 24 points in the fourth, ....."

I don't think Barnes' mindset would allow him to play like Harden (I am gonna get my shot and who are those guys wearing the same outfit as me). HB can be a tremendous 3rd, maybe 2nd option on a team favoring more ball movement and not player isolation. Will he get a max offer - not impossible but he is not a guy who will put a lottery team into the playoffs by himself. He is the type of player who can push a team that is close over the hump.

Stats don't lie at least not to us in Realville. Stats plus the whole game will get you a max that's just a fact.

Who will and won't get a max contract as of now is an opinion not a fact. It doesn't become a fact until it happens whether you want to call it a fact or not.... I think I've explained that one to you before, unless there's another poster running around here calling his opinions facts to try to make his point stronger.

TBF played about as well as he can, for the entire game last night.... and I mean that as a compliment. On a night when Draymond and Curry were "off" somewhat, and Klay T and Livingston were limited in playing time and scoring, when they (sort of) needed TBF to step up and be a leader, and scorer, he didn't shy away, and performed great in keeping the game out of reach. His defense was excellent, too.

That's what makes this Warriors team so tough, and likeable. There are so many ways, so many guys, who can come through, and beat you, on both ends of the court, on any given night, when others have off nights. There isn't another team that is very close to W's in depth of skill on both ends.

What those numbers don't take into effect are (1) the number of shots taken by each player. Turner has averaged 2 more shots per game than HB40. Furthermore, if you look at EFG%, Barnes is significantly higher. What that tells me is that he's an all around better shot taker and shot maker. Secondly (2), you omitted 3 point percentage. In that area, Turner has never averaged for a year what Barnes' career average is (.373). Lastly, Turner has roughly double the turnovers per season.

So, Turner has been about as productive as Barnes on a team where he was able to have far more opportunities than Barnes playing his role of supporting cast.

Barnes is a better 3 pt shooter than Turner, agreed. But I am not saying they are identical. I am arguing that (1) they are similar players with similar stat lines, and (2) Barnes is not a max contract guy.

Barnes has the 204th highest PER in the league. 3 spots better than Hansborough, 2 spots worse than one Plumlee, and 136 spots worse than the second Plumlee. I could list a number of players who are more efficient than Barnes and it would shock you. You don't max out a guy like that...UNLESS the new cap figures are so large and your team needs to get above the minimum threshold.

Barnes is a better 3 pt shooter than Turner, agreed. But I am not saying they are identical. I am arguing that (1) they are similar players with similar stat lines, and (2) Barnes is not a max contract guy.

Barnes has the 204th highest PER in the league. 3 spots better than Hansborough, 2 spots worse than one Plumlee, and 136 spots worse than the second Plumlee. I could list a number of players who are more efficient than Barnes and it would shock you. You don't max out a guy like that...UNLESS the new cap figures are so large and your team needs to get above the minimum threshold.

For the record, I'm not arguing for or against giving Barnes a "max" contract. I don't really even know what that means. I don't follow the NBA all that much.

I appreciate the stats you provided. But let me be clear - I'm not a stats guy. Or rather, I like stats, but I'm not at all an analytics guy. That money ball crap that has reared its ugly head in all sports is just that - crap. The notion that a scientific formula is going to overrule the "eye test" is absurd. Games aren't played on a spreadsheet.

Who will and won't get a max contract as of now is an opinion not a fact. It doesn't become a fact until it happens whether you want to call it a fact or not.... I think I've explained that one to you before, unless there's another poster running around here calling his opinions facts to try to make his point stronger.
I am just not sure where in this post you read that I said someone will not get a max. If you read closely you will comprehend that I said max contracts are based on STATS and a player's whole game. It is a fact that is what they are based on. I don't think there is any question.

Why can't Barnes stay with GSW and be the 3rd wheel on a decade long title contender? James Worthy was the 3rd wheel with Kareem and Magic. I could see him staying for a 4yr/40Mill type deal.

TBF played about as well as he can, for the entire game last night.... and I mean that as a compliment. On a night when Draymond and Curry were "off" somewhat, and Klay T and Livingston were limited in playing time and scoring, when they (sort of) needed TBF to step up and be a leader, and scorer, he didn't shy away, and performed great in keeping the game out of reach. His defense was excellent, too.

That's what makes this Warriors team so tough, and likeable. There are so many ways, so many guys, who can come through, and beat you, on both ends of the court, on any given night, when others have off nights. There isn't another team that is very close to W's in depth of skill on both ends.

He didn't keep the game out of reach HE PUT the game out of reach =)

Why can't Barnes stay with GSW and be the 3rd wheel on a decade long title contender? James Worthy was the 3rd wheel with Kareem and Magic. I could see him staying for a 4yr/40Mill type deal.
Barnes fits in perfectly with the Kerr/GSW game plan. Many times when guys leave they end up with a team that just doesn't match their game. GS has guys Green , Ezeli , Iggy , Livingson etc that really fit.

Barnes fits in perfectly with the Kerr/GSW game plan. Many times when guys leave they end up with a team that just doesn't match their game. GS has guys Green , Ezeli , Iggy , Livingson etc that really fit.
He does. The small ball lineup Kerr runs with Barnes and Green at the forward positions is lethal.

NO matter what happens next year, I hope that HB is happy! He appears to be a fine young man that has his head on right….whether he signs for max or minimum, if he is happy…then I am happy for him! He certainly has represented UNC well!!!! And for what it's worth….I think he is a hell of a player!!!

Reactions: RP12 and jah420
For the record, I'm not arguing for or against giving Barnes a "max" contract. I don't really even know what that means. I don't follow the NBA all that much.

I appreciate the stats you provided. But let me be clear - I'm not a stats guy. Or rather, I like stats, but I'm not at all an analytics guy. That money ball crap that has reared its ugly head in all sports is just that - crap. The notion that a scientific formula is going to overrule the "eye test" is absurd. Games aren't played on a spreadsheet.

I hear you. I think stats can be misused and numbers can say whatever you want them to. I think some of the analytical stats provide too much information which can distract from the underlying point. But you usually need stats in order to support an argument for why one player/team is better than another, or whatever the argument is in the world of sports. Without statistical support, the argument is purely subjective: "Player X is better than Player Y because I think he looks like the better player."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT