ADVERTISEMENT

Hot Takes Thread

dadika13

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Oct 20, 2007
NYC
While I'm sure it's been done before, I don't remember one in the past 2 or so years so I'll bring it back up since I'm BS-ing with co-workers about hot takes...

What's a take that you have that you feel strongly about and very few people agree with you?

One of mine I was just discussing:

Omar isn't a top 5 character in the Wire and Avon Barksdale is easily number 1.

Although I do it all the time...Sports gambling should not be legal anywhere.

Goodfellas is better than The Godfather

Better Call Saul is better than Breaking Bad.

Frazier was better than Seinfeld.

giphy.gif

Ok, I'll bite here, why?

Let me take a stab at it:

1 - Buses are extremely dangerous. Kids are not required to be buckled in seat belts.
2 - They are incredibly inefficient and bad for the environment.
3 - The staff that drives and monitors them are by and large, unqualified to be in charge of the safety of children.
4 - They are dangerous to other drivers with the constant stopping and starting.
5 - They're eye sores.
6 - Make kids get to school on their own and you'd have more invested children.

I'll probably think of some others later and edit this poast.

Reactions: cletusnow
Let me take a stab at it:

1 - Buses are extremely dangerous. Kids are not required to be buckled in seat belts.
3 - The staff that drives and monitors them are by and large, unqualified to be in charge of the safety of children.
4 - They are dangerous to other drivers with the constant stopping and starting.
5 - They're eye sores.

I'll probably think of some others later and edit this poast.
...and most importantly they cause innumerable traffic problems. Driving here in the summer I can clearly see the difference, 40 minute commute versus an hour and 10 minutes.

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
I don't know the exact stats, but I'd be willing to bet far more kids get hurt riding in cars to school.

They are better than all the cars it would take to get those kids to school.

Agreed.

Only to blind drivers. The cars that would replace the bus are much more dangerous.

5 - They're eye sores.
Many things are eyesores, but we let them on the road anyway. I'd much rather look at a bus than a 30 year old Chevy rust bucket.

LOL. Aren't you one of the people who say parents suck today? Who do you think is going to have to get them to school? All of a sudden all these parents you think suck are going to wake up early to take their kid to school, then turn around and pick them up in the afternoon? Who's going to tell the employers that they have to give an hour break in the morning and afternoon to all of the parents that work for them?

Yes more cars moving at 55mph beats one busing moving at 45mph with intermittent stops. If you believe otherwise your beliefs are wrong!
I don't think you understand how traffic works. Rush hour is called rush hour because there are more cars. The more cars there are on the same road, the slower you go.

I don't know the exact stats, but I'd be willing to bet far more kids get hurt riding in cars to school.

Sure. Because there are exponentially more cars on the road. It's simply the sheer numbers that would prove kids are more likely to get hurt in a car. However, if a car is in accident, the kid in the car has a better chance at staying safe than if a bus is in an accident.

They are better than all the cars it would take to get those kids to school.

Carpool.

Only to blind drivers. The cars that would replace the bus are much more dangerous.

That's nonsense. Cars are what people are used to navigating through in traffic - not giant, slow moving, emission spouting buses that start and stop with regularity, slowing the flow of traffic.

Many things are eyesores, but we let them on the road anyway. I'd much rather look at a bus than a 30 year old Chevy rust bucket.

This is you just being argumentative.

LOL. Aren't you one of the people who say parents suck today? Who do you think is going to have to get them to school? All of a sudden all these parents you think suck are going to wake up early to take their kid to school, then turn around and pick them up in the afternoon? Who's going to tell the employers that they have to give an hour break in the morning and afternoon to all of the parents that work for them?

Then they don't go to school. Or they find a way if they want to be more than dummies the rest of their life. That's not my problem. School buses are my problem.

I don't think you understand how traffic works. Rush hour is called rush hour because there are more cars. The more cars there are on the same road, the slower you go.
I’ve given you the evidence. My commute in summer is 40 minutes versus 1 hour 10 minutes during the school year.

Sure. Because there are exponentially more cars on the road. It's simply the sheer numbers that would prove kids are more likely to get hurt in a car. However, if a car is in accident, the kid in the car has a better chance at staying safe than if a bus is in an accident.
"From 2008 to 2017, about 70% of the deaths in school bus-related crashes were occupants of vehicles other than the school bus, and 17% were pedestrians. About 6% were school bus passengers, 4% were school bus drivers and 3% were pedalcyclists."

Sounds like the bus is safer.

So 15 cars instead of 30.

That's nonsense. Cars are what people are used to navigating through in traffic - not giant, slow moving, emission spouting buses that start and stop with regularity, slowing the flow of traffic.
Based on the number of accidents and bad drivers, they aren't used to navigating through cars.

This is you just being argumentative.
Fight fire with fire.

Then they don't go to school. Or they find a way if they want to be more than dummies the rest of their life. That's not my problem. School buses are my problem.
Yeah, because that would be really easy for a five year old.

I’ve given you the evidence. My commute in summer is 40 minutes versus 1 hour 10 minutes during the school year.
You've got to be trolling, because I can't imagine there is someone out there over the age of 5 that doesn't get this concept. If you put more cars on the road during the school year, then the traffic will be worse. Your commute in the summer is irrelevant to the debate of cars vs buses during school year. Your summer commute would be the same either way.

You've got to be trolling, because I can't imagine there is someone out there over the age of 5 that doesn't get this concept. If you put more cars on the road during the school year, then the traffic will be worse. Your commute in the summer is irrelevant to the debate of cars vs buses during school year. Your summer commute would be the same either way.
I’m not saying that you have the capacity to understand it, but the next work day after school let’s out for summer traffic to and from my place of employment moves considerably faster. I have lived here for 12 years and this is the case year in year out without exception.

Lol. It's amazing. Traffic is so much worse around Greenville when ECU is in session. I'm sure it's because of the bus routes and not the fact that the population of the city (and particularly the campus area) has increased by ~30%.

Ok I guess dick wins this thread by managing to have an absolutely idiotic take and not only doubling down to defend it but even getting a lackey jump in to support it with irrelevant and anecdotal "evidence."

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT