ADVERTISEMENT

Quick stuff (Clemson game 2)...

gary-7

Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2003
Parts Unknown
...and that was exactly what I was afraid of.

As I said in the last one of these I was worried about this game. Too much celebration for a mid-season game Saturday and having to get back up for what i consider to be the second best team in the ACC. We came out flat with the sort of blah start we were getting earlier this season. They were stoked and buried us in a hole that for various reasons we never got past.

Not gonna belabor much --- this will be very short with just some general points:
- Mando was all-in but got hampered by fouls. Good on Woj for showing he's a good player, not the scrub some make him out to be

- Clemson was well-prepped for us. They adjusted their Zone to match up with our middle chaser, and I was disappointed we didn't adjust back and attack the short-corners which were open as a result. Also disappointed we couldn't maintain continuity with our spurts of tempo, but there were reasons for that.

- That sawed-off runt Pat Adams has no business coming into the ACC. I have seen him often enough elsewhere to cringe at him being in the Dome. Sure enough, just as we're recovering momentum in the first half, he ignores a f***ing football stiff-arm right in front of him and then invents a call on the victim, costing us momentum as well as our PG.

- Speaking of that, in the second half after getting into transition mode and tying the score, we take out our tempo-setter and, well, so much for that. That just needs to stop if we're not gonna turn this fun season into an anticlimax. Scoff if you want, but it matters, and we just can't have RJ having to work that hard for long stretches.

- Finally, sure we missed Seth, but the big bottom line is we just can't be missing that many good looks --- especially at home, and especially against a hungry team fighting for their post-season.

Anyway, that's all I got for this one --- classic letdown game for us, and Clemson meant business. Got another dangerous trip Saturday, so time for the players and staff to refocus and get their collective heads right....
:oops:

I wasn't going to comment on the refs but Clemson got their payback tonight from the dook game and it was obvious before the first TV timeout.
Clarence Armstrong being a Division One official, and in a P5 league, says all you need to know about this profession in 2024. Damn pitiful state of affairs we are witnessing in this league and around the country.

1. Yes we played awful and losing Seth was a blow to the gut before tip off.
2. It's time to realize that Cormac Ryan can't shoot nor score under pressure. He didn't have that problem at ND because nobody expected them to win anything. We are 23 games into the season, he is what he is. Plays hard and active on defense but offensively he's not a good enough 3-man to help us cut the nets down. GOD knows I hate saying that but it's time to admit the truth.
3. It's also a damn shame the treatment EC is getting from league refs and I think it's intentional at this point. He's constantly in guys jock on defense and they will use a hard forearm to push him away. But GOD forbid if he does that when he has the ball. And what pisses me off the most is that HD is allowing it to continue and says nothing. If he thinks being a nice boy will score points with the refs he's living in fantasy land. A-holes win in America, always have and unfortunately they probably always will.

Dug a deep hole early. Shot poorly. With Trimble out could not afford the very poor games from Cormac and Caudeau. They just played poorly, both of them. Woj gave some energy, did what he could, but with the two "off" nights and Trimble out, the backcourt was a problem.

I thought we got our share of sketchy calls in our favor, I did not have a problem with the whistles. They missed some free throws late, but the 2nd shots and loose balls were killers. When you do not have much room for error clawing back from a deficit, those are stakes in the heart. The big fellas made plays for them when needed, TJ is a handful.

Clemson started and they finished on runs. They were the better team on this given night.

With Bacot stepping up we don't have to worry about Cadeau scoring as much. What killed us mainly was Cormac.. and RJ was off tonight as well. Nobody from the bench stepped up. Wojcik was better but 7 points is not going to be the key to winning us a game. Withers has disappeared last 2 games.

Teams have caught onto Cadeau driving to the basket real quick

Show me one in our favor like this. Just one(1)
I would say the clear yank of the arm at the side line right in front of Clemson's bench that resulted in the pass bouncing off the Clemson player.

My point is I did not and do not think Clemson got "helped" by the whistle to a win tonight. I thought they outplayed our Heels and pulled off the road win.

Clemson treated this as their National Championship game. Watching Hall celebrate after he took a charge to get Bacot his 4th foul was hilarious to me. Nothing wrong with celebrating just seemed to over celebrate like he got over some hurdle for the first time.

Team was flat and sucked. At this point I have more faith in Woj making a 3 than Ryan. Really could have used Seth guarding 11. Read another post about Bacot and Ingram calling out some players being late for shoot around, WTF? Didn’t know Seth was hurt until the late scratch…. Was he one of the guys late?

Do refs think EC is flopping on plays that’s why he never gets one? He was getting shoved all night with no call on D. I loved the no call when Clemson pancaked him and just flattened him to the ground from the behind on a rebound. We finally got some calls late to go our way but just don’t understand the calls that tend to go against him or lack there of when he’s play solid D.

I would say the clear yank of the arm at the side line right in front of Clemson's bench that resulted in the pass bouncing off the Clemson player.

My point is I did not and do not think Clemson got "helped" by the whistle to a win tonight. I thought they outplayed our Heels and pulled off the road win.
Not even close. He reached in so quick coming over a screen and hit the arm that caused the ball rolled off the leg. That happens EVERY GAME.

That B.S. push off was wide open in the front court for the world to see with no screener nor anyone else near the ball. But when EC did it driving to the basket late in the game they had no problem calling it.

It's pretty bad when Roger Ayers has become the top ref in the league but I wish we had him every game. As bad as we shot the ball no way we lose if he's call that game tonight

I agree the refs stink every game complaint is getting old. We stunk tonight and it was a group effort Ryan couldn't throw one in the ocean from a John boat, Clemson played us even on the glass with 11 offensive rebounds. Not having Trimble is huge, sometimes you just lose, Clemson was ready to play and we was running around with our chest poked out.

I hate complaining about the refs with a burning, fiery passion, but... yeah. That was a poorly called game. Some ludicrous calls against us. At least we got a couple breaks near the end.

Cadeau had his worst game of the season, so I don't blame Hubert for taking him out. He was terrible defensively, kept getting lost on screens, posted up, and-1s, etc. And he didn't make an impact offensively in this one; when he's playing off-ball he's often actively harmful because his man helps off him so much. I thought we actually had to get him out of there as he was getting exploited on both ends -- I don't recall but Cadeau had some horrible +/-. Trimble would've been an upgrade as a more reliable cutter/defender.

And then there's Ryan. He was terrible too, for the shooting and also his defense today. I don't know what we do if Ryan can't shoot a little better. We're really still a wing short. Ryan's okay, but he's still not really doing enough offensively. Mainly he's been useful at limiting mistakes and making connecting passes, but we need at least a little threat from him. Withers is pretty limited there too though. And apparently Withers (and others?) were late to warmups? Don't get that at all.

Davis forced more shots than usual. Take the ball in, don't just settle for that step back 3 or tough runner. And he got put in more defensive isolations this game where he was getting beat like last year.

And then there's Washington. I don't know, it's getting harder to see him as the full fledged starting center next year. His defensive positioning, rebounds, and box outs are not up to par. He was getting worked by the Clemson bigs.

Hubert has some really weird subs, ut I don't mind getting those guys some playing time in non-dook games. Just think we should avoid playing High + Wojcik together, or playing Okonkwo with 4 minutes to go in a tie game.

Reactions: gunslingerdick
I knew we would come down to earth when teams started hitting their 3s. We had a wild stretch where teams missed wide open 3s against us. It wasn't defense like suggested if you watched the games. It was just misses.

That said, right now if Cormac doesn't produce and RJ doesn't have an NCAA POY game then we likely lose to a team that's not off. We can't overcome the offensive hole that Cadeau is right now otherwise. I understand if we double his 3p% from 15 to like 30% that it only results in like 15 more points this year, but there are clear instances where he simply won't even shoot or consider to shoot as well because he has no confidence in his shot, which let's the D relax completely against him.

Cadeau developing a shot is gonna be key to this teams post season. RJ is extremely banged up and being relied upon to put up insane numbers. He can do it, but he can't do it every night. Someone else needs to step up as well.

I will tip my hat to the Tiggers for winning their Super Bowl (and hope we play them again), throw two middle
fingers at the referees (and college basketball officiating in general), and glare wonderingly at the
players who let down their teammates by ignoring team rules and expectations.

Work ‘em hard in practice Hubert. We’re a good team, but not good enough to not take EVERY
one of our opponents seriously.

Reactions: Heelicious
It isn't the points that we miss on Cadeau's misses that matters, it is how the defense is played differently. It doesn't only cut down his driving lanes, it cuts down RJ's and Ryan's. They can basically put an extra defender in the paint and really disrupt our offense. Makes everything so much more difficult.

I don't have a solution but that is the problem along with missing wide open 3's.

Clemson treated this as their National Championship game. Watching Hall celebrate after he took a charge to get Bacot his 4th foul was hilarious to me. Nothing wrong with celebrating just seemed to over celebrate like he got over some hurdle for the first time.

Team was flat and sucked. At this point I have more faith in Woj making a 3 than Ryan. Really could have used Seth guarding 11. Read another post about Bacot and Ingram calling out some players being late for shoot around, WTF? Didn’t know Seth was hurt until the late scratch…. Was he one of the guys late?

Do refs think EC is flopping on plays that’s why he never gets one? He was getting shoved all night with no call on D. I loved the no call when Clemson pancaked him and just flattened him to the ground from the behind on a rebound. We finally got some calls late to go our way but just don’t understand the calls that tend to go against him or lack there of when he’s play solid D.
I didn't think there was ANYTHING WRONG with Hall celebration after taking the charge. That was a BIG play in the game.
Also, after some of Clemsons gut wrenching losses, they knew of the importance of getting a marquee win on the road of a top 5 team.
Big win for them and their best player. Not sure why you would question their passion here, just sour with the loss?

Reactions: gauchoheel
Teams have the blueprint now…We are basically playing 4 vs 5 on offense with EC at the point…Kid has hit a wall or something but he just can’t or want shoot the ball…I mean it’s bad…Something has to give or this team is in trouble…

Lots of overreaction here, but I get it after losing two of three with poor efforts. It seems like only a week or so ago the line on Cadeau was he just needs to get out of the way so he can't get in foul trouble so he can stay on the court most of the game and now he's not playing enough D and we can't run offense WITH him on the floor? Truth is somewhere between but the kid has been brutalized like no one i can remember from whistles and maybe that's even in his head trying to get to the rim. He does need to shoot when the flow of the ball and offense dictates it and to do so with more confidence. As many have acknowledged, he needs to be on the court to work this out because we're going nowhere of note without him.

I didn't think there was ANYTHING WRONG with Hall celebration after taking the charge. That was a BIG play in the game.
Also, after some of Clemsons gut wrenching losses, they knew of the importance of getting a marquee win on the road of a top 5 team.
Big win for them and their best player. Not sure why you would question their passion here, just sour with the loss?
Of course I’m sour after a loss who wouldn’t be as fan especially when your team doesn’t show up and lose a game you shouldn’t lose. If you thought I questioned their passion you must not have read my first sentence. Sorry I should have mentioned first I’m a sour fan making this comment…. his celebration summed up their “passion”. I’m sure it had something to do with Bacot’s comments middle week as well. I just lol when I saw the celebration seemed long then turned into a fish flopping out of water.

Reactions: tarwhiz
Lots of overreaction here, but I get it after losing two of three with poor efforts. It seems like only a week or so ago the line on Cadeau was he just needs to get out of the way so he can't get in foul trouble so he can stay on the court most of the game and now he's not playing enough D and we can't run offense WITH him on the floor? Truth is somewhere between but the kid has been brutalized like no one i can remember from whistles and maybe that's even in his head trying to get to the rim. He does need to shoot when the flow of the ball and offense dictates it and to do so with more confidence. As many have acknowledged, he needs to be on the court to work this out because we're going nowhere of note without him.
That stretch of fouls in the first half that started with EC after getting pushed off was garbage. My biggest problem still with Coach Davis is he’s too nice. I get it, he doesn’t cuss or berate people , which is excellent. BUT that moment when EC got called for the most ticky tac fouls known to man coach should have been on the floor and tossing something ie, jacket, spit, tie, shoes lol anything. Instead he watched as the refs continued with a few more. Bow up coach, BOW UP.

I would show the players a loop of every loose ball Clemson won, every flex they made after a big play and every lay-up/open look UNC missed. Take down the rims and practice rebounding and transition basketball.

They were all giddy and playful (understandably so) after dook but that was ONE game. This team has to play with a chip on their shoulder to be effective. Hubert needs to let them know that if you wear that jersey you go balls to the wall every second of the game.

Comments and articles after the dook win concerned me because they almost seemed to reflect some complacency or attitude that they could win by stepping on the court, not unlike the attitude we saw so much of last season.

I never expected to go undefeated in conf play, but this 2 losses in last 3 games with both showing lack of focus and being out-hustled much of the game. Hubert has done a really good job so far but what we see the next few games will be very telling in my opinion.

Reactions: alabamaheel
Show me one in our favor like this. Just one(1)

After the start we had and play to that point - that happening right in front of our bench and then the touch foul - I would have been T’d up. Hubert is doing good coaching this year but that play he should have been fired up. He looked like he was sitting at the retirement home drinking coffee after that play.

Agreed. Only blue tinted glasses wearers can say we didn't get a few calls. Clemson got a few as well but this is part of the game. With 5 min to play down to 0.00 Clemson had back to back to back + scenarios where they eirher missed shots, missed FTs, lost the ball and on ZERO of those multiple chances did we get anything. Several times I'm exclaiming to the TV "ok... here's another chance to cut in" after a Clemson missed opportunity. I said that half a dozen times under the 3 minute mark and we just didn't capitalize on what they literally gave us.
We also did not go after missed shots on either end nearly as intensely as they did. Also another game where a FT here or there hit vs. missed could have made a huge difference.
We are lucky we didn't lose by 10 or more even with a run at the end making it look respectable.
That's down to us not the refs, don't dumb it down to try and make it easier to swallow.

Literally our entire team gave Flip the "too small" gesture after a Bacot and-1 (including some people stomping/slapping the floor) in the dook game. Unless you thought that was hilarious, idk why you'd find issue with Hall's celebration. He had a great game.

40 minutes of effort was the biggest problem last night. No team should get so many offensive rebounds that lead to so many extra opportunities to score. Clemson wanted it more and it showed all evening…
On the other hand, Schieffelin is much bigger than the guys guarding him (Ingram and Washington) and a great rebounder. He did a great job and deserves credit. Guy doesn't really look the part but he makes a lot of plays.

This team STRUGGLES bad against zone defense. I believe it was GT that went zone on us last time and we couldn't beat it very much either. Teams will start going zone against us if we don't find a way to score against it soon.

Right off the top want to say, these refs were bad, there was zero consistency in their calls. But the refs are not the reason we lost this game. We lost this game because Clemson shot the ball really really well, I top my hat to them for doing so. Bottom line was Clemson came out smoking hot from the tip and we were in some post beating duke haze, could not throw the ball in the ocean while they couldn't miss.

Cadeau was disappointing last night, looked like a freshman, last night looked like a 4yr guy... Ryan 1 for 10 for a total of 2pts in 30mins. I have said this since pre-season and yet today I find it even more true, I do not understand why this team goes artificially smaller than they have to. 2 games now Shefflin has basically done anything he wants, clearly Ingram struggles with him, well Ingram gives up a couple inches and around 30lbs to the guy and Bacot has his hands full with PJ. As I said in pre-season, we need Ingram at the 3, gives is an immediate size mismatch against most teams rather than the much smaller Ryan. Put either of the Js, Wash or Wit at the 4, I prefer Jwash for his length and ability to hit jump shots but JWit being stronger and more athletic would have been a better match up with Shefflin. The selling point for Ryan was that he is a deadly jump shooter, I have not seen that since he has been with us, he went 1 for 10 last night on mostly wide open looks. He needs to be coming off our bench rather than starting, maybe coming off the bench can kick start him.

IN the pre-season Hubert in a PC identified his 3 "green light" shooters as RJ, Ryan, and Paxon and since then only 1 has shown to be that, RJ. Paxon hit 2 of his 4 shots in his 22mins last night, made 2 of his 4 free throws? Ryan again, was 1 for 10 and did not get to the free throw line in his 30mins? Even RJ was 7 for 22 last night but over the season RJ is a knock down shooter where Ryan and Paxon have not been. We missed Seth, we specifically missed his lock down defense, those 21pts from Girard really hurt us but Paxon for 22mins?

That first half Bacot was being caught in the spin cycle of switches, he was being switched off on to a guard constantly. That had their bigs able to punish our guards down low. So Bacot tries to play drop and PJ steps outside and was not being picked up and even when he was he was able to shoot over the smaller defenders. The fight over the high screen and not switch unless you absolutely had to was MIA, it is a thing Seth gave us in spades. When all of this was going down Clemson hit their jump shots, gee how things look different when jump shots drop, they did for them they didn't for us.

There is one thing you do not do as a UNC player, you do not lose to Clemson at the Dean Dome, you do not allow Clemson to win in Chapel Hill, until last night that had happened to 1 team, well now it has happened to 2, that is a stain that just does not come out.

Pure crap for officiating which has become the norm in NCAA play.

A veteran team doing everything a veteran team shouldn't.

Complete lack of focus and effort on both sides of the ball.

Cormac Ryan going 1-10 from the field 0-10 from 3, 2 RB's and Hub letting him play for 30 minutes. If he'd a been wearing an ND jersey he would have lit us up for 25 but he aint and he didn't. Ryan on the season is now shooting <29% and almost all of his 3pt atts. last night had less defense on him than a game of HORSE. That's just plain piss poor for a STARTING UNC wing.

Game over.

I think the first 10 minutes of next game will say a LOT about this team. Playing on the road against a team that had high expectations coming off FF year that just got embarrassed - tremendous opportunity to see if the effort and focus are back. If the Heels come out on fire and never let Miami in the game it is a good sign. If not then I can see a UNC football-type of ending to the year, great start that just cannot be sustained.

In my opinion it will also tell us a lot about the respect the players have for Hubert and his staff. I think he needs to have someone like MJ or Rasheed come in and have a friendly "chat" with the team.

Girard and Hall went 9 - 20 from 3, the rest of thier team went 2 - 11 from 3. Trimble would of been nice to have available for sure.

Girard and Hall went 9 - 20 from 3, the rest of thier team went 2 - 11 from 3. Trimble would have been nice to have available for sure.
Cadeau and Davis were dead tired in the end as was Wojcik so having a extra guard like Trimble and even Lebo would have given the starters a few minutes to get their second wind…

I knew we would come down to earth when teams started hitting their 3s. We had a wild stretch where teams missed wide open 3s against us. It wasn't defense like suggested if you watched the games. It was just misses.

That said, right now if Cormac doesn't produce and RJ doesn't have an NCAA POY game then we likely lose to a team that's not off. We can't overcome the offensive hole that Cadeau is right now otherwise. I understand if we double his 3p% from 15 to like 30% that it only results in like 15 more points this year, but there are clear instances where he simply won't even shoot or consider to shoot as well because he has no confidence in his shot, which let's the D relax completely against him.

Cadeau developing a shot is gonna be key to this teams post season. RJ is extremely banged up and being relied upon to put up insane numbers. He can do it, but he can't do it every night. Someone else needs to step up as well.
The season is over in ~6 weeks though. Cadeau's not developing a shot in that time period.

The book is out to double RJ and Bacot, pack the paint, and dare everyone else to shoot. Other than on Ingram, it's been working. Heels were 8th in offense per Bartorvik before January 1st, and only 68th so far in 2024.

Reactions: tarwhiz
The season is over in ~6 weeks though. Cadeau's not developing a shot in that time period.

The book is out to double RJ and Bacot, pack the paint, and dare everyone else to shoot. Other than on Ingram, it's been working. Heels were 8th in offense per Bartorvik before January 1st, and only 68th so far in 2024.
Thank goodness Ingram's 3 has been good since the New Year. He's been helped a lot by the last two games. But even he's been off everywhere else since the New Year.

2PT: 39.3%
3PT: 39.6% (It was 33.3% from the Pitt to Georgia Tech game)
Free Throw: 45.0% (WTF?)

Efficiency has taken a tumble since the new year.

Reactions: gauchoheel
Wojcik was better but 7 points is not going to be the key to winning us a game. Withers has disappeared last 2 games.

You're talking about role players in Wojcik and Withers. That's what you get from role players. If they were able to produce consistently, they would be starters. No one should be surprised when role players are up and down. Hell, Seth has had like 9 games of either 0 or 1 made field goals. Seth gives you more in other ways so he doesn't need to score to impact the game. But you still see inconsistency in his production.

The expectation for Withers shouldn't be a consistent linear progression or consistency. If that were the case, he'd be the starting 4 for this team.

Wojcik doesn't provide much for this team. He had to play because Trimble was hurt. That's his role. And we're probably in trouble if we have to rely on him. That means someone important got hurt, or someone important is in foul trouble.

We are going to need EC, Trible and Woj to start making some 3's. Unfortunately, Cormac just doesn't have it this year for whatever reason (hopefully he's saving up for the tourney).

When Trimble is healthy he should split minutes with Cormac.

To be honest I’m surprised we didn’t get beat worse. With Trimble being out this was a game that we needed Cormac to play average or just a little above average and he just couldn’t get it going. A missed layup, wide open threes and rushed threes and he finishes 1-10. With teams playing RJ so physical and denying him the ball our players have to step up in different areas. After we tied it then we started playing like a young inexperienced team. Bacot loses the ball between his legs. Washington throws it in the back court not to mention he knocks it out of Ingrams hands for a potential offensive rebound. EC gets called for an obvious push off. With about a minute forty left and down 75-70 Paxson blatantly fouls and puts them on the line for 2 more free throws. Now it’s 77-70 with a minute and a half left that doesn’t sound like a veteran team. So after being tied at 70 Armando has two turnovers, Washington basically has another two and EC has one. Clemson did want it more and they flat out beat us. How a Team can think that they don’t need to be early and stay late for practices, shoot arounds, etc…is mind boggling. Especially for a Team that knows how rare and special this opportunity is in College Basketball. I have been a huge fan of Cormac’s but his inconsistent play is way beyond concerning. We have all said it amongst other things what can help this team achieve their goals wether it’s Cormac being consistent from the outside, EC hitting from the outside, Ingram improving his free throws, Bacot becoming more dominant inside, etc… and all things are true but if this Team keeps playing with no energy and uninspired it doesn’t matter. We should have rolled GT. Clemson is arguably in the top three of our conference and we gave them zero respect! Zero respect! and then they took ours at home. This has always bothered me about our home games where are the fans??? They roll in at 7:20 for a 7:00 game??? Every year it’s the same and we see all of the pretty empty Carolina Blue seats around the DES Center. That’s embarrassing! Showing up late or not at all to a basketball at UNC should be a sin! Matter of fact I think it’s in the Bible in the book of Revelations! RJ has slowly started to decline with his FG and FT percentage. But once again we should’ve lost by more than 4 points with that lack of effort and the disrespect they showed Clemson. We have away games at Miami, Syracuse, Virginia and dook. With home games left to NC. St, Miami, V. Tech and Notre Dame. This Team has the pieces and the chemistry to be Elite but I just hope they have the want to, fire and passion to achieve it.

All I got is some guys showed up late to pregame, some late to shoot around, I would not have thought this team would do that, and the source is Armando & RJ.

After the team meeting, Armando played noticeably better.

Clearly we need several more team meetings if only 1 player benefits at a time.

Who should the next team meeting be about?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT