ADVERTISEMENT

How do you like the new format for the ACC Tourney?

Tigertown_a_Rick

Hall of Famer
Jul 29, 2001
For years, friday was a day that a lot of people either got sick or just stayed home to watch the ACC tourney quarterfinals...With 15 teams now in the conference, the ACC decided this year to change the format, and I for one like the change....

For the ACC basketball junkies, you still have a full slate of games on Wednesday and Thursday.....But for the first time since 1982, we now have a Prime-Time ACC Semifinal and Final on friday and saturday nights, which should lead to more viewship IMO....

In the past, the mid-day afternoon semifinals and finals were good, but warm Saturdays and Sundays this time of year, have folks itching to do something outside the home or bar, which had to affect the number of eyeballs watching the game?

Also like the fact that ACC fans will now get to sit back and take it easy on Selection Day Sunday for the first time in a very long time!

It will be very interesting to see the overnight ratings for both this year's first ACC Semifinals and Finals in Prime time?

Comments as usual are welcomed!
This post was edited on 3/14 7:27 AM by Tigertown@Rick

At the start of this week, it felt odd to have games on Tuesday/Wednesday, but I agree that the Saturday evening finals will be nice. For the last few years, I didn't even watch the finals unless the Heels were playing. As mentioned, I was ready to get outside when we had a nice Sunday afternoon rather than watch someone else win the tourney. This year, I'll likely watch the final game regardless of who is playing... well, maybe not if it's dook.

Originally posted by TarHeelMark:
At the start of this week, it felt odd to have games on Tuesday/Wednesday, but I agree that the Saturday evening finals will be nice. For the last few years, I didn't even watch the finals unless the Heels were playing. As mentioned, I was ready to get outside when we had a nice Sunday afternoon rather than watch someone else win the tourney. This year, I'll likely watch the final game regardless of who is playing... well, maybe not if it's dook.

I think I'm going to prefer this format. Let the ACC be the prime time Saturday night championship game. And I will be glad towatch that team from Durham lose on Saturday night. I would prefer a Friday loss, but if not that, I will watch Saturday.

I'm fine with the change
smokin.r191677.gif

For many, many years when you had eight teams, the format was quarters on Thursday, semis on Friiday, and finals on Saturday. That is essentially what you have now, except you have preliminaries. I like this way better than the Sunday finish.

Originally posted by grillheel:
For many, many years when you had eight teams, the format was quarters on Thursday, semis on Friiday, and finals on Saturday. That is essentially what you have now, except you have preliminaries. I like this way better than the Sunday finish.
Are you sure? My recollection of ACC tournaments goes clearly back to the early 80s, and I know there was only one day of school when the teachers pushed the TVs into the classroom.

Originally posted by UNC71-00:

Are you sure? My recollection of ACC tournaments goes clearly back to the early 80s, and I know there was only one day of school when the teachers pushed the TVs into the classroom.
Thank you!

Friday was the day! I recall several "trips to the media center" on ACC Tourney Friday. Those were always weekends that you looked forward to, and they started on Friday and ended on Sunday.

As to the new system... whatever, I guess. I had to remind myself the other night, watching Notre Dame and Miami, that this was the ACC Tournament. I was a bit shocked to hear that in a year or two, the tournament is being played in BROOKLYN, NY??? That seems a bit like a travesty to me.

Yes, I'm sure. Actually, I'm quite a bit older than most of you guys, so I remember the days when the final was on Saturday. My son researched it and found that the first Sunday final was 1982, a good one as you know. However, I can remember watching many finals on Saturday night, including the 1974 final between state and Maryland that is considered a classic. So we are all correct in that it was a Saturday final for years and has been a Sunday final for a number of years till now.

Yes, I'm sure. Actually, I'm quite a bit older than most of you guys, so I remember the days when the final was on Saturday. My son researched it and found that the first Sunday final was 1982, a good one as you know. However, I can remember watching many finals on Saturday night, including the 1974 final between state and Maryland that is considered a classic. So we are all correct in that it was a Saturday final for years and has been a Sunday final for a number of years till now.
I would have guessed that the ACC final went to Sunday about 1980.

It was much better when it was 8 teams. Just sayin.
It was - and if it were still that 8 team conference, the ACC would be a mid-major conference, because football is at least 4 times bigger than basketball and the ACC HAD [/I]to expand for football just to try to keep within shouting distance of the SEC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT