ADVERTISEMENT

Hubert Davis…RESIGN

This is way deeper than missing shots, he hasn't developed a bench, his players haven't improved from last season, and the team hasn't improved. They still havent changed anything, they cant score in the half court and look lost the second the defense takes away what they come out trying to do.

We shit the bed hiring a coach!
Player improvement is on the players.

I've never seen a happier coach during after game press conferences than Hubert.. guess he enjoys losing constantly at a program like UNC. What a joke.

I would be fired up and ashamed of myself. I guess when you make millions of dollars, you can be as happy as him even when losing.

I've never seen a happier coach during after game press conferences than Hubert.. guess he enjoys losing constantly at a program like UNC. What a joke.

I would be fired up and ashamed of myself. I guess when you make millions of dollars, you can be as happy as him even when losing.
Think about if you made millions of dollars at a job you were unqualified for but handpicked to do and being in that job came with zero pressure from your boss because the predecessor who holds more power than your boss picked you… I bet you’d be pretty content.

Reactions: GoNtheDistance
Do you have some reason to think they aren't putting in the work?

Well, we know what we see. And I've seen Bacot not be able to shoot outside of 8 feet for 4 years. But he was all over social media this past summer on a world tour with NIL sponsors. I see Caleb going to spend time with Damian Lillard and then returning to Chapel Hill with little in his bag of tricks other than step back 3s and still with a tendency to dribble the ball right off his leg out of bounds. I see Leaky still shooting a terrible percentage and having zero confidence in his shot. I see Styles not being able to dribble a ball. I see Dunn,...wait, no, I actually don't see Dunn.

So if they're working on stuff, they're working on the wrong stuff.

Do you have some reason to think they aren't putting in the work?
Actually it is..players have to put in the work to get better…
Let us say that they are putting in the work, do we have evidence that the extra work has produced better play ? Not really. Sure, it is up to the players to improve, but if they don't, or actually regress like this season, then they should be trained-up if possible, benched or be forced to exit the team via the portal, G-league, or overseas. And I am not sure that the players are getting the best instruction on playing offense and defense. With all the accomplished shooters on the coaching staff, you would think Leaky and now Trimble would have received special attention on their shooting mechanics. Maybe they have and their shooting is not fixable.

Reactions: NoseButt
Serious question. If there were a coaching change, would Roy have any input? Hubert was basically his guy right?

Would the next coach just be the administration’s decision?

Reactions: Heelicious
Serious question. If there were a coaching change, would Roy have any input? Hubert was basically his guy right?

This coach was the administration decision this time they just allowed Roy to do it.

If fans don not care deeply then they also watch much less often. And that means TV days are worth even less.

Unless you want the ACC to die from a poor TV deal compaerd to SEC and BT, then you have things backwards. WE need more passionate fans who make demands.
Oh, word? In that case, coach’s number is 605-475-6961!

My first thought is that you'd definitely want Roy involved in the process. I don't think you let him pick the new guy, but you'd definitely want his input when you evaluate candidates.

OTOH, if you think the college game has passed him by, maybe you don't want him making input?

If you want Carolina guys involved in the selection process, how about Larry Brown and George Karl?

Last edited:
Reactions: NoseButt
How about Shaka Smart? I know he didn't quite make the grade at Texas but he's done well at Marquette. Currently looking at a 3 seed in the NCAAT.

Then again, Marquette isn't exactly a bad brand. Why would he want to jump into this caldron?

Serious question. If there were a coaching change, would Roy have any input?
If he's going to pick a guy with zero experience again based on a gut decision, then I sure as shit hope not.
UNC needs to get away from the "KeEP iT In THe FaMiLY" nonsense.

Look where its got us.

HIRE THE BEST AVAILABLE COACH.
I agree 100% but at the same time, I feel like we have to give Wes first look, unless there's a relatively young, coaching savant like Brad Stevens who's interested.

Wes satisfies a lot of checkboxes. For one, the elitist crowd who claim it has to be a former UNC alum can be quelled. But his track record is pretty insane for a guy barely even a month over 40 years old.
  • 10 years of experience,
  • continues to show improvement every year, first at UNCG, and now at Cincy.
And IMO, I'd be more comfortable with letting Wes "figure it out" for a few years compared to Hubert. Because unlike Hubert, he actually has shown the ability to adjust.

If he gets Cincy back to being a consistent 20 win tournament team between now and when Hubert probably gets canned, It would be very hard to say no to him twice. There may not be a third chance if the next guy fails, too.

If he gets first look, that will be the only look.

If you want to interview him fine, but at least be open to others outside the "family". It would be great to interview Rice, Stackhouse, Miller and Haase based on them coaching something besides a JV team but please at least be open to interviewing others.

Reactions: DaSheed and JFD83
If he gets first look, that will be the only look.

If you want to interview him fine, but at least be open to others outside the "family". It would be great to interview Rice, Stackhouse, Miller and Haase based on them coaching something besides a JV team but please at least be open to interviewing others.
I don't think it would be the "only look". It mainly depends on who outside the family is interested.

Some of us are already making the mistake of thinking we're just going to have the pick of the litter next time. The supposed list of coaches outside the family who showed interest the first time around seemed pretty abysmal.

So if we're turning Miller down again, it should be because we've got someone who is unquestionably better. We're talking Brad Stevens or someone in that same vein.
If we have that, sure. No questions asked. But say we had Miller in one hand, and a Chris Holtmann type of guy in the other (i.e. decent enough, solid numbers, nothing you'd necessarily write home about), I don't think the decision is as cut and dry as you would make it out to be.

I also don't think its fair to put Miller in a bag with the other guys just because he is also a UNC alum. if we're talking coaching, They're not even close to him IMO. Turning a 7 win UNCG team into a consistent 20 win tournament team is vastly undersold.

Reactions: GoNtheDistance
I don't think it would be the "only look". It mainly depends on who outside the family is interested.

Some of us are already making the mistake of thinking we're just going to have the pick of the litter next time. The supposed list of coaches outside the family who showed interest the first time around seemed pretty abysmal.

So if we're turning Miller down again, it should be because we've got someone who is unquestionably better. We're talking Brad Stevens or someone in that same vein.
If we have that, sure. No questions asked. But say we had Miller in one hand, and a Chris Holtmann type of guy in the other (i.e. decent enough, solid numbers, nothing you'd necessarily write home about), I don't think the decision is as cut and dry as you would make it out to be.

I also don't think its fair to put Miller in a bag with the other guys just because he is also a UNC alum. if we're talking coaching, They're not even close to him IMO. Turning a 7 win UNCG team into a consistent 20 win tournament team is vastly undersold.
100% in agreement he is the best of the bunch based on track record at the given institution. I was giving a list to satisfy the "family" criteria so many who read these boards seem to go by as an end all, be all.

I would at the very least kick the tires on other proven commodities IF they are interested. Of course, those types probably have their own staff they would like to bring in and we saw how well that worked when a member of the "family" tried it 20 years ago.

Fun conversation but we all know it will never happen. Hubs will get at least one and probably two more mediocre years before the drum beats get really loud.

Hubert isn’t going anywhere. And I don’t see him on the hot seat, at least from the administration, for at least two more years. Roy had clout, and rightly so after three NCs to name his successor. Roy was going to keep it in the family, and naming Hubert also allowed Roy to give one last tip of the hat to Dean as Dean wanted to be succeeded by a minority. Dean wanted Phil to succeed him, but Phil’s issues off the court took care of that. And Roy still has the ear of movers and shakers around the program. Who knows? Maybe once Hubert is rid of this bunch, most notably Caleb, he will be better. Remember in his last year, Roy couldn’t control them either. I actually hope Caleb hits the portal. He does have the ability to just go white hot a couple times a year and win a game on his own. But the other countless times he shoots us out of games with ridiculous shot selection would make his absence addition by subtraction. My biggest fear is that they all come back. It is time to move on.

Hubert isn’t going anywhere. And I don’t see him on the hot seat, at least from the administration, for at least two more years. Roy had clout, and rightly so after three NCs to name his successor. Roy was going to keep it in the family, and naming Hubert also allowed Roy to give one last tip of the hat to Dean as Dean wanted to be succeeded by a minority. Dean wanted Phil to succeed him, but Phil’s issues off the court took care of that. And Roy still has the ear of movers and shakers around the program. Who knows? Maybe once Hubert is rid of this bunch, most notably Caleb, he will be better. Remember in his last year, Roy couldn’t control them either. I actually hope Caleb hits the portal. He does have the ability to just go white hot a couple times a year and win a game on his own. But the other countless times he shoots us out of games with ridiculous shot selection would make his absence addition by subtraction. My biggest fear is that they all come back. It is time to move on.
Dean wanted to be followed by a black former player - any other minority would not have done for him. Not even Jewish Larry Brown. And he wanted Phil Ford. But we know why that could not happen. So Dean was less than pleased that he had to turn it over to Guthridge, and that a white guy younger than Ford replaced Guthridge was something Dean could never get over.

I agree but I was trying to be as kind as possible. But at least for Gut he waited until it was too late for the big donors to try to get the administration to go after somebody else. Gave Gut his day in the sun with a loaded team and three years of big pay days. But as far as Hubert goes, I figure he has a pretty long leash. Seems to be recruiting well, and maybe the next group he will have the backbone to control them better than he does this crowd. But at some point somebody, mainly Bubba, has to come to grips that UNC is a basketball brand and should be a consistent threat to at least go fairly deep in the tourney every year and not a part time participant. It’s all about winning

Reactions: Tarheels39
Hubert, you are a nice guy but you absolutely suck ass as a head coach. Good riddance once the UNC brass grows a pair and tells ol Roy thanks for the insight but it was a disaster from the jump. Unfortunately we still have a few years before this happens I believe and we’ll delve farther into mediocrity. NIT NIT NIT

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT