ADVERTISEMENT

I guess it's my turn to do a sappy post

JuleZ '02 HEEL

Hall of Famer
Feb 15, 2003
Here be dragons

I've had Maggie since she was a pup about 8 weeks old, a couple of months after I graduated. She had a long life that started out with college parties (my roommates and friends at that time were still in college, and I was a reporter with weird hours, so I could pretend) and continued on with lots of boat rides and beach trips, meeting Arwen and eventually getting married, and on down the road adding a couple little girls to the pack. She was a sweetheart and a great dog.

She's had joint issues, especially her hips, for a long time, and has been on glucosamine supplements since she was about 7, later we had to start with daily pain meds, and the last few months she's been on stronger stuff. But it was only getting worse, and she was falling more and more, struggling to get up, and becoming unable to handle stairs or hard floors. Sometimes not wanting to eat and leaving food in her bowl for hours which was completely unlike her. She was hurting and it was time for us to let go.

My four-year-old asked if Mommy and I drove her to heaven. #I'mnotcryingyou'recrying

Give your pets an extra head scratch or belly rub tonight.

damn Jules...I WAS in a good mood this morning!! Tough thing to have to deal with.....have put down several great dogs and every time without fail it hurts!!! Maybe Maggie hooked up with Tucker and Jake when she got to where she was going....couple of great dogs but warning....both are horny as all get out!!!

I had a lab make it 14 years and never had any hip problems or anything. He just went to sleep one night and never woke up. Damn, he was a great dog.

Then we had a beagle that developed a chronic kidney issue and we had to put him down, at only 8. That was rough, especially for the kids.

So when our current dog (another beagle) contracted some rare auto-immune disease at 3 years old, we did everything possible to save him. And 18 months and about $2500 later, he's doing great! Shout out to NCSU Veterinary School; who worked with our local vets to save him. Their sports teams can GTH, and their delusional fans can GFT, but the doctors at the vet school are awesome.

Dammit. So sorry to hear this, Jules. It's incredible to know she's been there by your side through so many major changes in your life. Sounds like it was quite a run. The Rainbow Bridge is cheesy as hell, but I really really hope it's true so I'm going to poast it for you. RIP Maggie.

Rainbow-Bridge-Poem.jpg

Dogs give everything they have to us- loyalty, unconditional love, companionship, and sloppy wet kisses. There is nothing as difficult as letting one of our furry friends go, even when we know it is time. God only lends us his most special creations for a short time, and then they must return. RIP Maggie, it sounds like you were well loved, and had a great doggie life.

Damn allergies.......

To add some perspective on how much the loss of a dog can be; CSB on the way...

In 2012, my uncle died 3 months after his 15 year-old Maltese died. He literally gave up. He had been married 59 years, had 3 kids, 5 grandkids. He was 83, but he was still fairly healthy prior. He was from a family, and "time", where men weren't supposed to show too much emotion because that was seen as weak. But, when shown toward a dog, or even a baby, he could sort of get away with more of it. "Lucky" was at his side for 15 years. He became the object of his affection, basically. When he died, my uncle was destroyed. It wasn't a lack of love for the family, or even his wife. My aunt even admits that Lucky dying made him just say "okay, I've had enough."

My brother just didn't understand it at all. He's never been close to a pet animal. So, I tried to put it into a context he could relate to. At the time, his youngest daughter was almost 4. I said "Imagine if Allison was only 3 years old for 15 years in a row... and then died." I think he got it immediately.

Thanks y'all. Glad she got to make one last trip to the beach and get her toes in the sand. Almost 15 years is a really good run for a dog her size, and it was a full life. It's going to be a while before I stop looking for her when I walk in the house or listening for the click of her toes on the floor. It's brutal to be the one who has to make that decision and be there at the end, but I just have to remind myself of the pain she must have been in and that she's not hurting any more.

Thanks y'all. Glad she got to make one last trip to the beach and get her toes in the sand. Almost 15 years is a really good run for a dog her size, and it was a full life. It's going to be a while before I stop looking for her when I walk in the house or listening for the click of her toes on the floor. It's brutal to be the one who has to make that decision and be there at the end, but I just have to remind myself of the pain she must have been in and that she's not hurting any more.
Were you right there with her when they administered the injections?

I'm sorry to hear this!! Tough losing a pet! I have a chocolate lab and she's 9, she is with me pretty much all day everyday!! I don't want to think about the day when she's not here anymore!

For my family dog, when it was time to put him down, we actually paid for a service where two veterinary assistants come to your house and administer the injection wherever in the house you want it done. It may sound silly, but I was a big proponent of that because to me it just seemed better to let Skip enjoy his coveted hardwood floor spot (he had his own special napping spot he liked to lay where he could see into the kitchen and in to the den to keep an eye on everyone) for his final moments rather than taking him to some cold vet office that he wasn't very familiar with. It was still sad as f***, but I like to think it was more of a comfort to him. And once it's over, the people make a caster mold of his pawprint for you to have as a keepsake and take the body away (or leave it for you if you wish) when they leave.

Those two ladies who worked for that service were saints. But I can't even imagine doing that as a job. Emotional anguish.

We had the vet come to our house in August 2015 when we had to send our boy Bucho home. It was certainly more comfortable for him. He waited until we were ready, and was very compassionate. He handled all the cremation details as well. I wouldn't let anyone but me carry him to the vets car, and let me tell you, that was brutality.

This reminds me of the lab I grew up with, who was also named Maggie. Mom and Dad brought her home when I was 8 and she died when I was 23. We had a bond from the moment we first saw each other. I'd run around the house and play with her for hours. Absolutely loved that dog. When I got older and went to college, every time I'd come home, she'd have an absolute fit. She was a lot older then, but she'd turn back the clock and run all over the place whenever I visited. One of the worst days of my life was when my mom called me and told me they had to put her down. They were going to try to wait until the weekend so I could see her one more time, but they just couldn't, and I understood. She had cancer and developed a brain tumor, and she just couldn't bare to have one more day on this world. I think about her everyday.

I always promise myself I would never get another when the inevitable happens. Hard to weigh the years of joy to the pain of losing them. We have a lab and a maltipoo. One stays outside and the other inside. Going to be hard times 2.

Reactions: JuleZ '02 HEEL
For my family dog, when it was time to put him down, we actually paid for a service where two veterinary assistants come to your house and administer the injection wherever in the house you want it done.
Same for my diabetic cat a few years ago, partly because he barfed whenever he had to ride in the car, even when he was healthy lol. I'm sold after doing it once. All my pets that require euthanasia will have it done at home.

found this thread and thought it would be okay to post that we’re going through this now.

banks is our ten year old lab, my shadow as my family and friends call him, and he has nasal cancer…he was diagnosed last month and i decided to pursue the most aggressive treatment possible as long as his quality of life was good…so it was radiation in matthews, nc…since radiation three weeks ago, he had been doing great.

however, this week he’s taken slide down…he’s not been himself, not wanting to walk, or even be around anyone other than me…it’s devastating to me and i can’t imagine how our kids will process this…we’ve had dogs before, but this guy has been the best, the one they’ve grown up with…they have not been told because he had been doing well even though the diagnosis was terminal…we were hoping to get his quality of life extended, then tell them when everyone is home…our oldest is away at college and it would crush him to know this…i’m taking banks to the vet tomorrow to find out what’s what…i hope i have the strength to make the right decision either way.

found this thread and thought it would be okay to post that we’re going through this now.

banks is our ten year old lab, my shadow as my family and friends call him, and he has nasal cancer…he was diagnosed last month and i decided to pursue the most aggressive treatment possible as long as his quality of life was good…so it was radiation in matthews, nc…since radiation three weeks ago, he had been doing great.

however, this week he’s taken slide down…he’s not been himself, not wanting to walk, or even be around anyone other than me…it’s devastating to me and i can’t imagine how our kids will process this…we’ve had dogs before, but this guy has been the best, the one they’ve grown up with…they have not been told because he had been doing well even though the diagnosis was terminal…we were hoping to get his quality of life extended, then tell them when everyone is home…our oldest is away at college and it would crush him to know this…i’m taking banks to the vet tomorrow to find out what’s what…i hope i have the strength to make the right decision either way.
Man, that is a tough road to walk! They always say that the dog will "let you know when." I hope that's the case for me, anyway. Good luck. But, take as much comfort as you can in knowing that, no matter what, he will have had a great life.

Reactions: gteeitup

Sounds tough on you and the kids. Everybody grieves in their own way - good luck.

My pup is nine and I get a heart pain just thinking about this type of scenario for her.

My lab is approaching 12. She still spirited, by I can see time catching up. Same with my wife's maltipoo. Pets are awesome, but hard when it's time to say good bye. This will be the last dog I own.

Dogs deserve longer lifespans than 10-15 years. Sorry to hear about your pup gteeitup. We lost one with prostate cancer years ago. Out current dogs are almost 5 and I am hoping for long lives for both of them.

I echo all the sentiments expressed as I've had my fair share of dog love. Even had and lost my own Maggie, a wonderful English Setter who was the best dog I've ever had. Along those line, I love the song by Chris Stapleton. Enjoy. . . , , ,

@gteeitup I'm so sorry to hear this. We had a yellow lab back before we had kids, and then had 3 kids, and the kids grew up with the lab (Emmitt - named after Emmitt Smith). Anyway - so soul crushing to us all, leaving a big empty spot in our hearts and lives when I had to take him to be put to rest. I vividly remember the day - one of the worst days ever. It was several years before I could bring myself to get another pet (another yellow lab we have now).

I apologize - I know this doesn't make you feel any better, and maybe makes you feel worse.

One thing we did - my wife is sort of a photo geek - she put together a book of pics from when we picked out Emmitt at a breeder - with several pages of pics right up to end of life....camping, hiking, holidays, road trips, etc. He was awesome at leaping and catching a frisbee throw - a great trick.

It helps us to look through the book, and we can look back and laugh at so many of the funny, dumb, lovable antics our dog did. He was the source of many stories, like tipping us over in a canoe once when he was trying to get back in (he jumped in the lake thinking a floating leaf was a fish) ;

swallowing a golf ball, some outdoor carpet, all of his leash, etc....all needing surgical removal - he ate everything in sight.

Not meaning to hi-jack your post. My condolences. I just wanted to share a few ideas on how to favorably remember your pet, once he has passed on.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT