ADVERTISEMENT

If Tokoto.....

trueblue50

Freshman
Nov 24, 2010
COULD hit a three- What that would do to our opponents defense! It's embarrassing how they play off of him so much, it's there for the taking all game long.
I know he can't hit it-BUT, if Hubert could P L E A S E teach him to hit that shot so they would have to come out and guard him- with that athleticism....

I actually reckon he can. He did in a couple of games early in the season, one in particular where he shaped up and shot just after a whistle and swished it!

The problem comes with shooting at the right time and having the self confidence to shrug off a miss and fire again (if Roy hasn't pulled him for shooting a 3 when it wasn't his play)

Ideally, JP will continue to work on his shooting - it's much better this year than last, and I hope he also works on his game and court awareness to understand when and where to take his shots.

Since it's a JP thread, I thought he had a good game today - some ill-advised shots for sure, but some great defensive plays late in the game.

Personally I do't want him to take it. BUT, he's a great passer and his short game is improving- wished he'd go to the rim MORE.
With that said- it bugs me how far off of the 3 pt line the defender plays off of Tokoto. They are guarding against his passing and preventing him from driving- so his main game is in rebounding and in the open court.
If he could just learn to hit the three from a specific spot on the court....cause they are not guarding him, it would just add so much to our offense sets. It's the same when guys with great talent can't hit a free throw.
You know late in the game and we can't close it out because we miss critical free throws (NOT TONIGHT OF COURSE!!!= we ROCKED) but it irritates the dog out of me with the PUKE guards, late in the game how they can control a lead because they are 90% FT. You cannot foul those guys- it's over.
Back to Tokoto- most guys like Marcus struggle to get the three off because they are guarded so close- but they rarely miss if wide open. Just sayin' that freak talent Tokoto's got... surely Hubert can teach him how to square up and drain the OPEN UNCONTESTED three. Once you establish that, then he can fake and drive and dish.

His shooting form will never lead to being an efficient perimeter jump shooter.

Honestly, I think if his decision making were more consistent, he should be the team's point guard in half court sets... But in our current style, he needs to develop a post up game. He can probably elevate over any defender despite his lack of size at the 3 position.

I don't think he should shoot any jumpers. Any shot he takes out of the paint area is a win for the defense. He needs to live in the paint and out athlete teams. Also, if he lives in the paint, his passing will be a bigger asset.

Tokoto is one of our highest 3pt % shooters at 34%. I believe that makes him tied for third with Berry.

Paige - Britt - Berry = Tokoto

Definitly not a 3 point shooter and realistically never will be. He's gonna do what he and coach thinks is best, but personally I wish he'd try to rip the rim off every time he touched the ball. And it kills me when in the open court he pulls up for a jumper instead of initiating contact with the defender and trying for the "and 1."

Originally posted by imajericho:
Originally posted by Billheel:
career numbers from three: 19 of 77, 24.7%
Freshman. 9.1%
Sophomore 22.2%
Junior 33.3%

Misleading career numbers!
Word! THIS season is all that matters.

Originally posted by toophly1124:
What's the word on his injury??
Seemed like concussion type activities - I sure hope it isn't serious. He was standing up and in the huddle at the end, which was a very good sign. If he didn't know where he was, they would've taken him to the locker room I think

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT