ADVERTISEMENT

InTheAna

Originally posted by Heels in Space:

Originally posted by gunslingerdick:
Yeah,...but that's not what the law intends. This link provides some clarity and also shines a light on the hypocrisy of the left. Entertaining too.
This guy totally misses the point. A baker can absolutely refuse to write a particular message on a cake, as long as he or she would refuse to do so for all customers.
Someone is missing the point alright.

How many straight couples would want "gay marriage rules!" across their cake? You're creating an argument for a totally absurd scenario. He clarified that the law prevents business owners from refusing service based on the customer being gay. But the law makes it clear that the business owner doesn't have to engage at a level that would make them uncomfortable within their own beliefs. So if the gay couple wanted a cake made, they can have a cake made. But they cannot force the bakery to put "gay marriage rules!" on the cake. That seems completely reasonable.

Originally posted by Heels in Space:

Not sure what the point about Muslims was. They shouldn't be able to discriminate either.
The point is that they are indeed "discriminating" (by your definition) but that no one is going after them. Where's the outcry about how muslims are treating gays? Only Christians are bashed.

Personally I get tickled when one liberal protected minority is up against another liberal protected minority.

Someone is missing the point alright.

How many straight couples would want "gay marriage rules!" across their cake? You're creating an argument for a totally absurd scenario. He clarified that the law prevents business owners from refusing service based on the customer being gay. But the law makes it clear that the business owner doesn't have to engage at a level that would make them uncomfortable within their own beliefs. So if the gay couple wanted a cake made, they can have a cake made. But they cannot force the bakery to put "gay marriage rules!" on the cake. That seems completely reasonable.
I think the guy in the video is the one creating the absurd scenario. Nobody wants "Gay marriage rules!" on their wedding cake. Gays just want regular old wedding cakes, like everyone else. The lawsuit in Oregon that started a lot of this arose when a bakery refused to make an ordinary wedding cake for a gay couple. If a business will make a cake for a straight person getting married but not for a gay person getting married, the only difference is the sexual orientation of the customer.

The point is that they are indeed "discriminating" (by your definition) but that no one is going after them. Where's the outcry about how muslims are treating gays? Only Christians are bashed.

Personally I get tickled when one liberal protected minority is up against another liberal protected minority.
The outcry is (or at least should be) over the law, which would allow people of all religions to discriminate. My interest in this has nothing to do with bashing Christians. It has to do with protecting the rights of homosexuals. I would feel the same way regardless of what the justification for the law was. It just happens to be religious.

Originally posted by UNC71-00:
Yes,that would be discriminatory.

Do you think I should be allowed to do so on my property?
Are you holding your residential property open to the public like your commercial property? If not, then you need another analogy.

Aside: A public company would be prohibited from refusing service because the shareholders would want the $, which you think the private company would want as well.

Feel like you should be able to figure this out from my other answers, but since you keep asking...In the privacy of your home or your yard, you should be allowed to do what you wish. However, stuff people do in private, feelings they usually express only in private with like-minded people, have a nasty habit of somehow becoming very public and harmful. You need to decide for yourself and proceed accordingly.

Originally posted by Heel Gyeah:

Are you holding your residential property open to the public like your commercial property? If not, then you need another analogy.

Aside: A public company would be prohibited from refusing service because the shareholders would want the $, which you think the private company would want as well.
Sure. Anyone is welcome to knock on my door other than Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses.

And for the record, I completely agree with your aside. Furthermore, if I was aware that a business discriminated against people for reasons of sexual preference, race, ethnicity or religion, I would not engage in trade with that business. I have friends and family of all types of backgrounds and I prefer to show my support for them, not some bigoted business. My only point is that a private business should have the right to trade with whomever that business selects.

Their shop is open to the public, they don't have a, "No gays! Everyone else Welcome!" sign posted, right?

Originally posted by Heel Gyeah:
Their shop is open to the public, they don't have a, "No gays! Everyone else Welcome!" sign posted, right?
Sigh. That's the point.

If I can post one at my house, why can't I post one at my business, provided I don't take govt assistance (FDIC insurance, welfare, etc.)?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT