ADVERTISEMENT

Is anyone here planning on going to the Bowl Game?

mahncpa1

Hall of Famer
Oct 13, 2004
Logistically, I can't imagine a bowl game that is tougher to attend for the average Tar Heel fan living in
North Carolina. The afternoon of the day after Christmas in Detroit is just not doable for anyone that
I know or myself. I sat through every home game for the Mack Brown's first two years and my wife
told me that I was crazy. So, my wife knows that I am obsessed, but she would have me committed to the
mental ward if I told her that we were going to spend Christmas in Detroit and go watch the 6-6 Heels play
in a low tier bowl game. I am just curious, is anyone on this board going? Will there be 10,000 fans there
in total???
This post was edited on 12/10 11:13 AM by mahncpa1

The combination of location and timing is definitely going to hurt attendance. I would go if it weren't the day after Christmas, but my brother will be "home" in NC for Christmas for the first time since moving to Denver five years ago.

The game might attract some of the UNC alumni/fans who live in the area, but that number is apparently very small:

State / Known Alumni / General Alumni Association Members
Michigan / 1,374 / 210
Ohio / 2,580 / 462
Indiana / 1,145 / 199

Originally posted by Raising Heel:
The combination of location and timing is definitely going to hurt attendance....
you forgot cost. airfare is outrageous this time of year, and airports are packed. it has to be a nice location for me to endure that -- not detroit.

I went to last year's game in Charlotte, but to even consider going to Detroit which is an absolute s%#@hole and the likelihood of bad weather while traveling makes this a no brainer to me. I doubt there will be ten thousand people in the seats unless the bowl committee either sells seats to local companies for little or nothing or just flat out gives them away for free. No matter what, this won't look good on TV. Two bad teams playing in a bad bowl. All there is to that. And it could get worse in terms of current commitments if we lose.

This post was edited on 12/10 11:04 AM by UNCWayno

This post was edited on 12/10 11:05 AM by UNCWayno

I have been hunting for a way to donate tickets to the bowl game to the military. I know this
has been done in the past. Does anyone have a link. I called the number for Quick Lane
Bowl yesterday and they said that Rutgers has a program set up but UNC didn't yet.
Any help?? Helps the troops to go to the event and if they are wearing UNC gear, it
will look better for the Heels in future bowl games. Just a thought.

Originally posted by mahncpa1:
I have been hunting for a way to donate tickets to the bowl game to the military. I know this
has been done in the past. Does anyone have a link. I called the number for Quick Lane
Bowl yesterday and they said that Rutgers has a program set up but UNC didn't yet.
Any help?? Helps the troops to go to the event and if they are wearing UNC gear, it
If the Big Ten wants tio make a success of a bowl in the heart of Big Ten country, it should do 2 things: move it to Indianapolis, and make certain the BT team is a midwestern one.

UNC vs. Illinois, for example, in Indianapolis could draw a nice sized crowd.

Originally posted by WoadBlue:

If the Big Ten wants tio make a success of a bowl in the heart of Big Ten country, it should do 2 things: move it to Indianapolis, and make certain the BT team is a midwestern one.

...in basketball maybe.

Virtually no one wearing Carolina blue will be in attendance. I'm prognosticating ~ 1,500 and that's being generous. I hope Ebron brings a ton of people to the game..

UNC does have a military donation program set up. See if this link works for you. I'm strongly considering doing the same.

[Edit to add:] When I looked a couple days ago, the military tickets were $89 each. They're down to $35 now. Not sure why the drop...maybe a mistake by the vendor or an indication the higher-priced tickets have been sold?

This post was edited on 12/10 10:34 AM by Raising Heel

UNC does have a military donation program set up. See if this link works for you. I'm strongly considering doing the same.

[Edit to add:] When I looked a couple days ago, the military tickets were $89 each. They're down to $35 now. Not sure why the drop...maybe a mistake by the vendor or an indication the higher-priced tickets have been sold?

Thanks RH, the link worked well. It would be cool if the folks that wind up with the tickets actually wear Carolina Blue.
I am going to put this under a new topic to see if we can get some folks to order.

This post was edited on 12/10 11:12 AM by mahncpa1

I think the price range was $35 through $89.....just like your fans, few RU fans will probably make the trip....on our
"trashy" board we have made a concerted effort to have fans buy the donated tickets at $35, and give them to the
military

in less than 48 hours our sales are near 2,000 for the donated tickets....

Originally posted by wheezer:

I think the price range was $35 through $89.....just like your fans, few RU fans will probably make the trip....on our
"trashy" board we have made a concerted effort to have fans buy the donated tickets at $35, and give them to the
military

We haven't lumped the cordial RU visitors in with "them", but you expect us to just smile and say nothing when we go over there and all we see are shots at our University? Especially when RU is 40 spots behind us in the rankings.

I really, really, really wish UNC and RU fans had just talked about the bowl game, shook hands, and went our own way. That didn't happen, we had RU posters ( one of which bragged about it on your "trash" board ) flame our scout board, he also flamed this board. And your board is full of threads taking shots at UNC... hell, you all were trashing UNC before you were paired off against us in this bowl. Which is nuts.

Originally posted by UNC_Blue:
Originally posted by wheezer:

military

We haven't lumped the cordial RU visitors in with "them", but you expect us to just smile and say nothing when we go over there and all we see are shots at our University? Especially when RU is 40 spots behind us in the rankings.

I really, really, really wish UNC and RU fans had just talked about the bowl game, shook hands, and went our own way. That didn't happen, we had RU posters ( one of which bragged about it on your "trash" board ) flame our scout board, he also flamed this board. And your board is full of threads taking shots at UNC... hell, you all were trashing UNC before you were paired off against us in this bowl. Which is nuts.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I responded to this post which is about ticket sales and the donating of tickets....I did not come here to trash North Carolina, nor do I see any reason for you to divert the attendance thread if you are angry with RU fans
who are not on your board anyway....makes no sense.

getting back on topic.....I see a fan started a thread encouraging the purchase of tickets as a donation to the
military....that is an excellent idea and helped us sell quite a few over the past two days

over at RU we have had a couple of such threads and each one added more sales

keep up the good work.....looking ahead to a great game.

This post was edited on 12/11 1:46 AM by wheezer

Originally posted by WoadBlue:

You are getting right ? Illinois has the worst attendance of any B1G team....don't see them traveling to Indy.

RU has travelled with 9000 + fans in each of the last 4 Bowl Games.
Apparently we have sold 7000 Tickets to this Bowl so far. Albeit a large amount are donated tickets.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT