ADVERTISEMENT

Jesus Christ . .

He's in the Washington State House of Representatives. Here's his wikipedia page for reference

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Shea
Okay, thanks.

See, @Grayhead ... this is one of the hazards of the existence of, and participating in these religious clubs. You asked uncboy "So, you think Christians want this?" Clearly, some definitely do. One Christian was responsible for creating this thing! Theocracy is actually the logical direction for anyone who truly adheres to a religious doctrine.

Just like some Muslims decapitate people and tape bombs to themselves and kill in the name of Allah/God. You get lumped-in with the worst when you subscribe to these organized religions. You're as good as your worst examples. Same goes with politics. Some moron goes out and does some wacky shit, and "was he a liberal?" is asked (or conservative)... and, then they all have to defend their actions, or deflect, or some other action that would never even be considered if these "clubs" ceased to exist.

I'm certainly not trying to deny that oceans of great things have come from these same institutions... they have. But, the trade-off is getting to be less-and-less worthwhile.

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
Okay, thanks.

See, @Grayhead Theocracy is actually the logical direction for anyone who truly adheres to a religious doctrine.

This is the real thrust of the argument I have attempted to make against religion. If you believe there is an all powerful god that has wishes for human behavior, and there are eternal consequences for not adhering to those wishes, then its easy to justify almost any method of forcing people to adhere to those wishes.

'So we burned a few witches? Murdered a few atheists? A little earthly suffering is nothing compared to what will happen once god gets his hands on you... We're doing you a favor.'

This is the real thrust of the argument I have attempted to make against religion. If you believe there is an all powerful god that has wishes for human behavior, and there are eternal consequences for not adhering to those wishes, then its easy to justify almost any method of forcing people to adhere to those wishes.

'So we burned a few witches? Murdered a few atheists? A little earthly suffering is nothing compared to what will happen once god gets his hands on you... We're doing you a favor.'
The belief that God is this super-human FATHER (male) that is in control of it all is what eludes me. You've accepted a "King of Kings", all of these truly human images and parameters and given it a divine power. And, more specifically, an ancient form that has long-since become obsolete. It just seems soooo antiquated to me. I can understand how it used to work, but I can also see how it has served its purpose.

Biblical doctrine is very monarchical. It depicts a king and the king's subjects... and kingdom, and all the king's inferiors. It made sense to model the culture and society to mimic the "All Powerful" version (or vice versa). But now? The majority of the human race has evolved into a self-governing model. God has been trying to communicate that WE are GOD from the beginning. To me, Jesus is a perfect example of "I and the Father are one." "These things and more shall you do." It's all allegory and metaphor, of course, but... the message is to find the "All Powerful" inside of yourself and let it shine bright! I think we're getting there.

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
You, among others.
Don't you think the ideal situation lies in a balance between the group and the individual? The individual needs to be able to express and experience themselves, but the individual needs the group in order to advance themselves, too. I'm getting a bit esoteric, but it's still relevant.

Don't you think the ideal situation lies in a balance between the group and the individual? The individual needs to be able to express and experience themselves, but the individual needs the group in order to advance themselves, too. I'm getting a bit esoteric, but it's still relevant.

Just to clarify. Are we talking about real life or hypothetical?

Just to clarify. Are we talking about real life or hypothetical?
If you don't have the rest of humanity, you don't have yourself. It's a bit existential, as I said before. I know you believe that all you need is yourself. But, to whatever level you became self-sufficient, you relied on the group, or at least some others, to help you learn to be self-sufficient. You didn't pull it out of thin air.

If you don't have the rest of humanity, you don't have yourself. It's a bit existential, as I said before. I know you believe that all you need is yourself. But, to whatever level you became self-sufficient, you relied on the group, or at least some others, to help you learn to be self-sufficient. You didn't pull it out of thin air.

That doesn't answer my question. You could become a farmer and be self-sufficient.

That doesn't answer my question. You could become a farmer and be self-sufficient.
Sure you could. But, you're not born with the ability and means to farm. You have to acquire the skill. There needs to be some kind of system in place that affords you the ability to learn it. You can have a knack, gift, predisposition, whatever. But, you have to have a shove and a guide now and then.

Sure you could. But, you're not born with the ability and means to farm. You have to acquire the skill. There needs to be some kind of system in place that affords you the ability to learn it. You can have a knack, gift, predisposition, whatever. But, you have to have a shove and a guide now and then.

If you're insinuating that you need a free market to obtain skills and money, then I agree with you. I'm talking more about collectives, not about individuals dealing with other individuals. Maybe that has caused some confusion in this discussion?

If you're insinuating that you need a free market to obtain skills and money, then I agree with you. I'm talking more about collectives, not about individuals dealing with other individuals. Maybe that has caused some confusion in this discussion?
Maybe so. I'm not a big proponent on people relying on politicians to take care of them, no. If government weren't comprised of pandering politicians, I'd have more faith in it.

Maybe so. I'm not a big proponent on people relying on politicians to take care of them, no. If government weren't comprised of pandering politicians, I'd have more faith in it.

I agree that there's a role in government to protect the people. That really wasn't the target of my argument. However, between our current situation and anarchy, I would choose anarchy.

Last edited:
That guy's a nut. He may say he's a Christian but he sure does not convey Christianity.
I've never met 2 Christians who "conveyed Christianity" exactly the same. There's no universal version, or absolute standard of any of these religious clubs.

Reactions: NoleSoup4U
You can thank Martin Luther for that, not that it is a bad thing. The Catholic Church isn't exactly a great medium for the word of Christ.
And, of course, he played a role in the evolution of the whole thing. "Let's take out a dozen books and revise the New Testament a little." No harm, no foul. Protestants and Catholics murdering each other in ghastly ways and both have the same Savior. Reminds me of Sunni's and Shia's beheading each other in the name of Allah!

John Calvin... whatever "pleasure" you experience must be met with an equal amount of pain, shame, or otherwise unpleasant experience to "balance it out." The 5 Points of Calvinism... hoo-whee! God was in rare form when that was established.

I didn't misunderstand anything. Carry on.
Show me two different Christians who interpret Scripture EXACTLY the same. They don't exist. There are no two people who experience anything exactly the same. Carry on.

And, of course, he played a role in the evolution of the whole thing. "Let's take out a dozen books and revise the New Testament a little." No harm, no foul. Protestants and Catholics murdering each other in ghastly ways and both have the same Savior. Reminds me of Sunni's and Shia's beheading each other in the name of Allah!

John Calvin... whatever "pleasure" you experience must be met with an equal amount of pain, shame, or otherwise unpleasant experience to "balance it out." The 5 Points of Calvinism... hoo-whee! God was in rare form when that was established.

That was a response of the Catholic Church. Like any other oligarch in power, they respond with unfettered violence when challenged.

Show me two different Christians who interpret Scripture EXACTLY the same. They don't exist. There are no two people who experience anything exactly the same. Carry on.

Wow bud. There are many Christians that convey and live for Christ. Sorry you haven't met any. I'm done.

Wow bud. There are many Christians that convey and live for Christ. Sorry you haven't met any. I'm done.
I've met dozens who say that. I've never met two that exhibited it the same way. It's all rhetoric. That's fine... rhetoric has its place, for sure. You're ignoring my point, intentionally. No two do it exactly the same way.

ETA: Which is exactly how it should be! I'm rather thankful for that. It would be ideal if people who claim to be part of these clubs could realize that God is accessible without the club. The club likes to force people to believe that they need the club to get to God. God is never separate from us, ever. It may be well-intentioned, it may not, but, the club is really a figment of our imagination.

Can we all agree that the Founding Fathers were spot on about keeping church and state separate? I can’t think of anything good that comes from mixing the two, not one thing.

Reactions: heelmanwilm
Do I think ALL christians are okay with it? Certainly not.

Do I think SOME number of christians are okay with it? Absolutely.

For me, the argument is not about how many christians believe in this sort of nonsense. Its about how monotheism inevitably leads to this sort of moral absolutism.

I've said it before, but I guess its worth repeating. I don't hate all christians, or think they're all crazy. I guess you could say that I "hate the sin but love the sinner."
As you have heard time and time again, there are nuts in every crowd. You gripe about monotheism as if it's something that you are forced to be a part of. No one is forcing you to do anything. You have your rights, your own choice, and move in areas of your choosing. I would say a bulk majority(upper 90%) would denounce rhetoric like this.
Okay, thanks.

See, @Grayhead ... this is one of the hazards of the existence of, and participating in these religious clubs. You asked uncboy "So, you think Christians want this?" Clearly, some definitely do. One Christian was responsible for creating this thing! Theocracy is actually the logical direction for anyone who truly adheres to a religious doctrine.

Just like some Muslims decapitate people and tape bombs to themselves and kill in the name of Allah/God. You get lumped-in with the worst when you subscribe to these organized religions. You're as good as your worst examples. Same goes with politics. Some moron goes out and does some wacky shit, and "was he a liberal?" is asked (or conservative)... and, then they all have to defend their actions, or deflect, or some other action that would never even be considered if these "clubs" ceased to exist.

I'm certainly not trying to deny that oceans of great things have come from these same institutions... they have. But, the trade-off is getting to be less-and-less worthwhile.

Is it ok for you to lump me in with that man, yet in the past you have defended average muslims from the extremist when others lumped them in as well?

I have not started any holy war, thought about genocide, burning any witches, indoctrinated or brainwashed anyone, stoned any one, or any of the atrocities people have committed in the name of their God.
I do my best to live right, uphold a moral standard, and live by the golden rule. My belief and my faith is tested daily. But I uphold what I believe in to the highest standard in life. And it will go to the grave with me. But comparing me to that dude or any other extreme example is laughable

Last edited:
You gripe about monotheism as if it's something that you are forced to be a part of. No one is forcing you to do anything. You have your rights, your own choice, and move in areas of your choosing.
Good morning Grey, sorry for butting in. I can think of lots of things that I dislike but no one is forcing me to join. I’m sure you hate the KKK but no one is forcing you to join. That doesn’t make them any less despicable though.

Reactions: uncboy10
As you have heard time and time again, there are nuts in every crowd. You gripe about monotheism as if it's something that you are forced to be a part of. No one is forcing you to do anything. You have your rights, your own choice, and move in areas of your choosing. I would say a bulk majority(upper 90%) would denounce rhetoric like this.

Is it ok for you to lump me in with that man, yet in the past you have defended average muslims from the extremist when others lumped them in as well?

I have not started any holy war, thought about genocide, burning any witches, indoctrinated or brainwashed anyone, stoned any one, or any of the atrocities people have committed in the name of their God.
I do my best to live right, uphold a moral standard, and live by the golden rule. My belief and my faith is tested daily. But I uphold what I believe in to the highest standard in life. And it will go to the grave with me. But comparing me to that dude or any other extreme example is laughable

When Christians stop trying to force their religion into schools and government then maybe I’ll stop opposing it.

Try telling women in Iran or Saudi Arabia that monotheism doesn’t force people to participate.

Last edited:

I'm not comparing YOU. I'm trying to illustrate how all the members of these religious clubs can get blamed for the worst behavior of a few of the members.

Can we all agree that the Founding Fathers were spot on about keeping church and state separate? I can’t think of anything good that comes from mixing the two, not one thing.

What makes me smfh is the claim that god favors one party over another. Thats about as ignorant and idiotic a pile of shyt as i can imagine. Might as well try to convince me god gives a crap over who wins today’s nfl games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT