ADVERTISEMENT

JP going bye bye

His passing ability, his defensive skill, and his possibility of being a quick, stretch-four will be missed. However, he made his choice and now it is time for the remainder of our team to refocus, and point their way to a great season still...

Well put Summerville. It definitely opens up the doors even more for BI as well. He tweeted "Wow, didn't expect that" about an hour ago....

This post was edited on 4/8 11:02 PM by EazyEd5

Tokoto's comments to yahoo sports paint the picture of what was rumored all year. JP butted heads with teammates who questioned his commitment to the team and his desire to do what was asked. Tokoto pretty much said he was leaving because he didn't want to stay at UNC and be coached by Roy who he felt was limiting his growth. Truth is, his terrible ass jumpshot is why he was limited offensively, not any box that Roy tried to put him in.

Not a fan of these goobers that always place blame on others for their shortcomings and then take a swipe at the coaches who gave him a chance to start with when frankly most other elite coaches would have left JP out to dry with Justin Jackson on board

We will be better next year without this guy on our team and in our locker room.

Like some has stated this all but guarantees Berry starting ... I loved JP but if we needed anyone to leave it was him.. The most athletic but the most inconsistent... This will 100-1 help UNC more than hurt them ... Good luck JP

If he was planning on leaving and was intentionally trying to help his draft stock, he should have quit shooting those 8 to 12 foot bricks over and over and over. Dude had a green light but would have been buried on the bench if he didn't rebound, pass and (for the most part) play pretty good defense.

well I am surprised like everyone else and it does sound like there were "chemistry" issues and perhaps more within the locker room

His shot was really what held him back, he is a terrific athlete who makes one great play and then a terrible pass and you shake your head

I wish him well though, he is a solid young man and he may still be back as he is not signing with an agent ,Just testing the waters/. The statement about Roy limiting him is not a good sign though.

Good Luck JP and thanks

Jp brought alot to the table for Carolina and no one will ever doubt his freakish athletic ability and his desire to win but I just do not understand his decision...There must be something going on that has not come out but regardless JP thanks for 3 solid years and I for one wish you well.

He obviously doesn't want to be part of this team and he obviously thinks he is better than he is. Why don't you shoot 1000 jumpers a day so you can actually hit one, instead of blaming your HOF coach for your shortcomings.

Re: Addition by subtracting

the only problem with a Paige and berry backcourt is that it is a SMALL backcourt .Really gonna have difficulty with big guards, especially two guards posting up

All I can say is I hope this tweet is an indication that JP may have opened the door for a recruit to step in.

(ugh... I've regretfully fallen into the recruiting hype of looking at an 18 year old kids twitter account for an indication of school choice)

Ingram Tweet

Also worth noting that it all the reports, there's been no statement from Roy. Every early entry that I can recall was accompanied with a warm and fuzzy statement from Roy and staff about the player and his intentions.

Its only addition by subtraction if we can land a big time recruit.

Re: Tokoto to the NBA

Overseas or the D league the guy still makes more than 95% on this board. Congrats JP. Shut up haters

JP going isn't much of a surprise. I had a feeling he wasn't going to be starting next year.

I don't think we ever used JP right to be honest. And, I think he kind of alluded to this in his announcement.

But, he also could have played less lackadaisical also.

Good luck in the NBA, JP.

Originally posted by keysersosay#1:

the only problem with a Paige and berry backcourt is that it is a SMALL backcourt .Really gonna have difficulty with big guards, especially two guards posting up
True, but I can count on (less than) one hand the number of college guards who actually post-up anymore. It is a lost art these days. Hell, we haven't had any guards worth a damn at posting up since McCants (he was a beast on the blocks).
Berry and Paige are good defenders (esp. Berry) and they will hold their own.

JP's comments made me think of the funny trivia question from the past -

Q. Who is the only person to hold Michael Jordan to under 20 points a game?

A. Dean Smith.

Great athlete with super potential but his basketball IQ never seemed to develop. Would force some shots and be loose with the basketball in critical situations. I am sure he frustrated the coaching staff at times due to some of the head scratching decisions he would make on the court. As a high school coach I have had players who had all the ability in the world but did not really "know" how to play the game. No matter how many times we would go over game situations and watch film they would make bad decisions at crucial points during the game. Could not understand why you may not shoot a 15 foot jumper with 2 minutes to go when it was okay to shoot the same shot in the 1st quarter.
I wish him well but I bet Coach Williams will sleep better at night next year.

I think at the end of the day, Pinson can replace Tokoto well enough to make the loss.

Tokoto has aspects of his game that are not teachable. We'll miss his offensive rebounding (at times).

But this doesn't change much IMO. We still need to establish more consistent 3 point shooting and JP nor Pinson are probably going to really add much from 3.

I've seen very little of Ingram, but he's not a 2. That kid looks like Nicolas Batum. Just because guys can make 3's, they're not 2's.

If Jaylen Brown's a MKG type of player, I'd rather have him. This team needs a straight line rim attacker and it seems like Brown is the best in this class at that.

I'm a big JP fan, but in college, he is what he is. He's an imperfect basketball player but almost a perfect athlete. If he didn't want another year of Roy's system, better for everyone to move on. Hopefully it works for him.

I'm worried about the:

Barry, Paige, Jackson, Johnson and Meeks lineup.

There's 1 guy in that lineup that I trust on defense and that's Paige. But realistically, our defense wasn't any good with JP anyway.

Originally posted by keysersosay#1:

The 2 PG lineup struggled on D all year. Joel Berry was lost on defensive principals which perhaps should be expected from a freshman.

But I think defense will be a struggle if the proposed lineup comes up.

Additionally, Marcus is going to get worn out if he has to guard legit 2's for the entire year. He's going to get run off tons of screens. Hopefully his body can hold up.

Realistically with the Berry, Paige, Jackson, Johnson, Meeks lineup.... We have 1 above average defender in that rotation.

But our D wasn't all that good with Tokoto anyway. Hopefully another year of experience will alleviate some of the problems.

Originally posted by SJung851:

I'm worried about the:

There's 1 guy in that lineup that I trust on defense and that's Paige. But realistically, our defense wasn't any good with JP anyway.
Did you seriously just post that?
1. Berry is our best defensive Guard
2. This season's defense held opponents to below 40% FG shooting, better than the last two National Championship teams, so they were considerably better than not "any good".

Re: Tokoto to the NBA

He'll need to put in the work, but a guy like PJ Tucker who was a 6'5" power forward at Texas took some time with the NBDL and overseas, developed and created a pretty damn good start to his NBA career.

In theory, JP should improve more as a pro than in college. 0 restrictions.... Just play and work on your game.

He's an intriguing prospect IMO, but absolutely has to have the right attitude.

Best of luck to him. Hope it works out.

Originally posted by gary-7:

I'm worried about the:

2. This season's defense held opponents to below 40% FG shooting, better than the last two National Championship teams, so they were considerably better than not "any good".
1. Whenever Berry was on the floor, the defense struggled. It especially struggled when it was a Berry/Paige backcourt (https://twitter.com/FreeportKid/status/579450237523271680)

A Berry/Paige backcourt, we allowed 16 points more per 100 possessions (roughly) (unadjusted)
With Berry in the lineup, we allowed on average 6 more points per 100 possessions (roughly) (unadjusted)

2. We ranked 51st in the country in defensive efficiency this season.
2015 - 96 points allowed per 100 possessions. 102.8 points allowed per 100 possession in ACC play)
2009 - 92.9 points allowed per 100 possessions.
2005 - 91.7 points allowed per 100 possessions

We were a significantly worse defense this past year. In fact, 2015 was the worst defense Roy's had at UNC.

Stats

I'm worried about the:

1. Whenever Berry was on the floor, the defense struggled. It especially struggled when it was a Berry/Paige backcourt (https://twitter.com/FreeportKid/status/579450237523271680)

A Berry/Paige backcourt, we allowed 16 points more per 100 possessions (roughly) (unadjusted)
With Berry in the lineup, we allowed on average 6 more points per 100 possessions (roughly) (unadjusted)

2015 - 96 points allowed per 100 possessions. 102.8 points allowed per 100 possession in ACC play)

We were a significantly worse defense this past year. In fact, 2015 was the worst defense Roy's had at UNC.
Horsesh** numbers. Opposing FTs were the actual difference. 2015 was not the worst defense Roy has had,

I'm worried about the:

Horsesh** numbers. Opposing FTs were the actual difference. 2015 was not the worst defense Roy has had,
Isn't not fouling a critical aspect of good defense?

If you judging our defense strictly off live shots where the clock is moving, then yes, we had a better effective FG% defense in 2015 than in 2009 and 2005. But our FTRate allowed was about 10% higher in 2015 than in 2009, 2005.

Roy's career tempo free stats should be attached here. Worst Adjusted Defensive efficiency during his UNC career.

Screen_Shot_2015_04_09_at_1_46_09_AM.png

Additionally, Marcus is going to get worn out if he has to guard legit 2's for the entire year. He's going to get run off tons of screens. Hopefully his body can hold up.
Hmmm. Don't think anyone said the above line-up would be playing 40min per game.

i can see theo coming on as instant energy - especially on the defensive end. Likely he'll be picking up the assignment on other teams top #2's

as as for the team D, Brice and or Kennedy need to bece much more reliable as a last line and that doesn't change with or without JP.

We play a higher tempo with Berry in the game and score at a much higher rate.

With the Shot Clock likely coming down, these are pluses.

Another unpopular opinion (Tokoto)

I just can't help but feel that J.P. Tokoto would have been better off going to Wisconsin. He definitely would have been able to work on his jumpshot and overall game, and his athleticism would jump off the screen in B1G games.

Would have been better for him and better for us. His inconsistent offensive game hurt us more often than his perimeter defense helped us. Maybe he has a point, Roy and our coaching staff just wasn't the best fit for him. Doubt he gets drafted, but if he does he could be good on the right team.

How do yall feel?

I remember Roy all in on Tokoto early in his recruitment for being not only an athletic wing with potential, but a character kid who would fit the program nicely. For all of that potential and the highlight dunks, it was disconcerting to see his court demeanor at times; disinterested, lackadaisical passing. I was about 22 rows away from the bench at the Louisville game in Greensboro and when Coach tore into Brice and JP, the emotion was palpable. It made me think like there was more to it with JP than with Brice. Also, there was a lot of speculation that Marcus had JP in mind specifically when he challenged the team in February to "look in the mirror and decide they’re going to change and buy in."

Best of luck to JP in fulfilling a dream. The Heels may have just lost a talented player with a lot of potential, but they may have just improved their chemistry and ability to play together.

This post was edited on 4/9 7:42 AM by Coach@Heart

Hell, if Tokoto can declare for the draft, I probably ought to throw my name into the hat too.

Many apply.......................few are chosen.
cool.r191677.gif

Best of luck to JP, but everybody knows this is a huge mistake.

He had his own private shooting coach in Davis, where does he think he will get that in the NDBL?

These days if a kid stays three years, can't really complain. I like JP because of his monster dunks and athleticism. Something just tells me there is something more to this story. As of right now, he has zero future in the NBA. He can't make simple jump shots and he knows it. He is obviously not getting bad advice and he admits he may not get drafted. I guess he is just not happy in Chapel Hill. Either way, Good luck to him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT