Garrison brooks
Armando Bacot.

If Coby and nas leave why not:
Cole Anthony
Rayjon tucker
Justin Pierce
Garrison brooks
Armando Bacot.

IF, we can see Manley turn the corner and become a factor, the above line up may well be final 4 able. Love what I have seen from both Tucker and Peirce and both could slide in to starting roles but Leaky will have a solid shot and IMO has a staring position and it will be up to someone to beat him out for it. BRob, I just don't know, he played much better this season but I am still not ready to say he is a starter level guy.

Reactions: Old_School59
IF, we can see Manley turn the corner and become a factor, the above line up may well be final 4 able. Love what I have seen from both Tucker and Peirce and both could slide in to starting roles but Leaky will have a solid shot and IMO has a staring position and it will be up to someone to beat him out for it. BRob, I just don't know, he played much better this season but I am still not ready to say he is a starter level guy.
Love BRob as a 6th man.

If Coby and nas leave why not:
Cole Anthony
Rayjon tucker
Justin Pierce
Garrison brooks
Armando Bacot.
Four brand new starters.

Has Roy ever coached a team with 4 new starters?

With a system that relies on players knowing the system, how can that happen with 4 new starters?

It would be interesting to see what Roy would do/change.

Short answer is yes,, after the 2005 Championship we lost everyone with once exception. Can’t place the name but I think I read our returning player had ppg of 3.7 or something like that

Short answer is yes,, after the 2005 Championship we lost everyone with once exception. Can’t place the name but I think I read our returning player had ppg of 3.7 or something like that
May, McCants, Felton, Williams x2, Manuel, Scott. All five starters.

Four brand new starters.

Has Roy ever coached a team with 4 new starters?

With a system that relies on players knowing the system, how can that happen with 4 new starters?

It would be interesting to see what Roy would do/change.
You have a shot memory. 2006 Noel was the only returning starter.

Reactions: Old_School59
You have a shot memory. 2006 Noel was the only returning starter.
I meant "new" as in new to the team. Which used to mean only freshmen, but now includes grad transfers.

Grad transfers at least have some extra maturity and experience, but not experience in Roy's system. So more ready than freshmen, but still a lot of learning to do with only a year to do it.

If I'm one of these grad transfers, I might be reluctant to commit to UNC because of the steep learning curve. I'd want a better team than the one I'm leaving, but maybe one that plays a similar system to speed my adjustment.

I'd bet OP has seen Justin play no more than once and it was probably a highlight video.

Any lineup w/Cole Anthony gets you in the tourney, the other pieces get you much much farther. I too, am in the camp that Leaky is really going to open some eyes next year. I think he's a diamond in the rough, maybe a 4 year one.

I'm a huge Leaky fan as well. We will need to see a lot of growth from him from what we have seen - needs to get stronger, more aggressive and more confident. But I also temper any constructive criticism with the fact that he was a true freshman with limited minutes and then was injured. He'll have every opportunity to get playing time next year. Go get 'em Leaky.

I don't care who Roy recruits, as long as there are some dead eye shooters in the bunch. The game has, and is, changing. It is turning into a three point shooting contest. Especially the tournament
There was a twitter post today by Ken pomeroy about how in the past 10 years the % of shots taken that are 3 point shots has gone from around 30% to over 40%. And it has really skyrocketed last 2 years. I hate it. It becomes like the HR or strikeout trend for baseball.

It diminishes inside and midrange players and teams that run good offense to get short good shots. I wish they would move the line back to NBA distance. And make the shot worth 2.5 points instead of 3 (kidding about that last line. ).

I wish they would move the line back to NBA distance.
I think that might be too big an increase for the average college player. How about the FIBA distance?

I have no numbers but I bet more college kids who keep playing will be using that arc, so it helps them, without shutting down those who won't play much or at all after college.

3-pt arcs per Wikipedia:
  • 19.75 ft (6.02 m): High School
  • 20.75 ft (6.32 m): NCAA
  • 21.65 ft (6.60 m) to 22.15 ft (6.75 m): WNBA and FIBA
  • 22 ft (6.71 m) to 23.75 ft (7.24 m): NBA

I can't speak for him but I doubt Leaky, who is only a soph, would be upset if he doesn't start, as long as he gets plenty of minutes.

Adding Pierce to the rotation should mean one more position, SF, with 40 minutes of solid play.

BRob and Keeling should make SG another solid position for 40 minutes.

We have star potential at point and center, but we still need to see who steps up at PG, PF and C when the presumptive starters need a rest or get in foul trouble or have the flu.

Adding Pierce also improves our ability to play small ball if we need to - simply because we won't have to go quite as small. Pierce and Leaky on the court at the same time for short stretches should work pretty well, even if neither is really big enough to play PF.

There was a twitter post today by Ken pomeroy about how in the past 10 years the % of shots taken that are 3 point shots has gone from around 30% to over 40%. And it has really skyrocketed last 2 years. I hate it. It becomes like the HR or strikeout trend for baseball.

It diminishes inside and midrange players and teams that run good offense to get short good shots. I wish they would move the line back to NBA distance. And make the shot worth 2.5 points instead of 3 (kidding about that last line. ).

I love the idea of making it worth 2.5pts instead of 3.

I can't speak for him but I doubt Leaky, who is only a soph, would be upset if he doesn't start, as long as he gets plenty of minutes.

Adding Pierce to the rotation should mean one more position, SF, with 40 minutes of solid play.

BRob and Keeling should make SG another solid position for 40 minutes.

We have star potential at point and center, but we still need to see who steps up at PG, PF and C when the presumptive starters need a rest or get in foul trouble or have the flu.

Adding Pierce also improves our ability to play small ball if we need to - simply because we won't have to go quite as small. Pierce and Leaky on the court at the same time for short stretches should work pretty well, even if neither is really big enough to play PF.
Pierce actually did play the 4 primarily at W&M. So you’re right I think he would play some backup 4 and split time with leaky at the 3

The only thing that worries me about Pierce, other than being a bit undersized to play PF, is that the toughest teams he faced last year (other than Virginia) were at the level of Pitt and ND. He did well against that level of competition. But Pitt and ND were the cellar teams of the ACC.

He struggled against UVa - but who doesn't?

So the question is, how good will he be against teams like Clemson, or Syracuse or Va Tech? We won't know until we see him play.

In contrast, Keeling played very well against Clemson, Marquette and Florida - 2 NCAAT and 1 NIT teams.

Pierce looks pretty darn good in these clips. If we can manage good spacing - something we often struggle with - he may be effective.

I believe this kid played last year with a bum wrist and that could account for his shooting % falling from the previous year. I have watched a fair amount of film on him and he is a decent rebounder. What he lacks is defensive acumen. Bottom line....his defense sucks. Defense is certainly an area that can be improved with proper technique and a willingness to play it. That basically is my only question about him. He is a serviceable player who needs to improve his on the ball defense. His offense, while spotty, can be a plus.

I believe this kid played last year with a bum wrist and that could account for his shooting % falling from the previous year. I have watched a fair amount of film on him and he is a decent rebounder. What he lacks is defensive acumen. Bottom line....his defense sucks. Defense is certainly an area that can be improved with proper technique and a willingness to play it. That basically is my only question about him. He is a serviceable player who needs to improve his on the ball defense. His offense, while spotty, can be a plus.
A shame Roy doesn't like zone. With the possibility of starting 4 guys who know nothing about his system, that might be easier to get everybody on board, if he liked it and was good at teaching it.

Oh well.

Pack line, anyone? UVa makes it look easy, so it must be easy, right? ;)

In the sense that these guys are new, and will be gone next year, what's the argument for teaching them a system that takes 2 or 3 years to get good at?

Usually our new guys are playing with at least 3 and more often 4 guys who know the system on the court with them at the same time. Which presumably speeds the learning process. But that probably won't be the case in the upcoming season. Sure, we could start BRob over Keeling, and Leaky over Pierce. But the problem still exists when they sit.

Pierce looks pretty darn good in these clips. If we can manage good spacing - something we often struggle with - he may be effective.

So, dudes got some VISION. I mean PG like vision. He’s fundamentally sound. Can shoot the lights out, off the dribble or on the catch. Oh and btw, he can jump out the gym if he gets going downhill toward the rim... I like him.

He has the experience to do it, and that could definitely come in handy for us - even if he is a bit undersized.

Who are the PFs in the ACC that you think could exploit Pierce and Leaky defensively?

A shame Roy doesn't like zone. With the possibility of starting 4 guys who know nothing about his system, that might be easier to get everybody on board, if he liked it and was good at teaching it.

Oh well.

Pack line, anyone? UVa makes it look easy, so it must be easy, right? ;)

In the sense that these guys are new, and will be gone next year, what's the argument for teaching them a system that takes 2 or 3 years to get good at?
I mean, I don't think our defense is that complicated. We play man 97% of the time, something these kids have been playing their entire lives. Hedge with the big on the pick and roll, and tag the roller with the strong AND weak side wings. ;)

I don't think it's a particularly complex defense so much as a lot of inexperienced freshman aren't good at off ball defense and rotations no matter what system you put them in. Someone with basketball smarts like Cole will probably be a great offball defender right away though, whereas someone with low basketball IQ, intuitiveness, and reaction times will never pick it up in 4 years.

Of the transfers we have been involved with, this is the kid I want over the rest, including Tucker. Reason is I do think he can handle the wing more so than the 4 but could swing to the 4 on switches or short periods while a starter sits.

Love his shooting stroke, not having to play and be a scorer for 30+ minutes should help his defense, he will not have to rest on defense as much. Kid looks really fluid for his height, that usually translates to any level.

Who are the PFs in the ACC that you think could exploit Pierce and Leaky defensively?

I mean, I don't think our defense is that complicated. We play man 97% of the time, something these kids have been playing their entire lives. Hedge with the big on the pick and roll, and tag the roller with the strong AND weak side wings. ;)

I don't think it's a particularly complex defense so much as a lot of inexperienced freshman aren't good at off ball defense and rotations no matter what system you put them in. Someone with basketball smarts like Cole will probably be a great offball defender right away though, whereas someone with low basketball IQ, intuitiveness, and reaction times will never pick it up in 4 years.

The problem most freshmen have is they are not just having to acclimate to our pace and defensive switches ect, they are also having to adjust to the level of play in the college game. Transfers may have to learn a system they have not played in but they have already had to learn a new system from what they played in high school and AAU level ball, the transition is not nearly as hard for a transfer to come in and pick things up early, case in point Cam Johnson. But notice other transfers in other programs, not nearly the struggle you see freshmen having to go thru.

Reactions: gauchoheel
Of the transfers we have been involved with, this is the kid I want over the rest, including Tucker. Reason is I do think he can handle the wing more so than the 4 but could swing to the 4 on switches or short periods while a starter sits.

Love his shooting stroke, not having to play and be a scorer for 30+ minutes should help his defense, he will not have to rest on defense as much. Kid looks really fluid for his height, that usually translates to any level.
Yeah, his shooting stroke looked good to me - although I'm not a good judge. Keeps the ball up. But what really impressed me was his good body control. He's no Dr J, but he can twist and turn quite gracefully on the drive. Decent elevation.

He may not have a lot more ceiling, but what he has is better than I was expecting.

Reactions: gauchoheel
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT